Opinion of Abridged?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Opinion of Abridged?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:39 am

The irony in all of this is that you're accusing different people of being snobby because you think they're taking a parody too seriously despite giving their honest opinions on it, yet you're saying that I don't know how to have a friendly discussion. You have blown this thing totally out of proportion. Even the commenter I initially replied to seems to have moved on. Whatever misunderstanding transpired was just that, a misunderstanding, and as I said, water under a bridge, and while I know my last reply to Peach was meant as a good-natured clarification, I'm not out to convince you that I'm being sincere or genuine; I don't even know you. Quit reading so much into people's responses/opinions online and relax a bit. Not sure why you've suddenly turned into the thought police when it was never that deep to begin with.

EDIT: As Cure Dragon 255 pointed out below, I took Cursed Lemon's initial comment to be moreso to the responses he's gotten on the Dragon Ball ending thread than about DBZA, since he directly called out members of the forum (I took his comment as more of a blanket statement not specific to this topic, just reflecting his feelings about the forum already). My initial reply here to him was referencing the irony of his comment, based on his responses in that thread. I can see how that wasn't clear if you hadn't been following that thread. I didn't mean it as an aggressive reply, even if it came off as such. Just a tongue-in-cheek one that had an added context.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:41 am, edited 10 times in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:14 am

dva_raza wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:54 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 pm Bruh, I don't know how you took our comments as snobbish. For mine, it's the exact opposite, I'm complaining that the humour became too wordy and pretentious and that I preferred it when the tone and humour was dumber! I don't think anyone here is taking DBZA as seriously as you claim. Even so, it's hard not to compare DBZA to the original show when it's literally an abridged version of DBZ, with the same characters, same animation, and so on. It's like how fanfiction inevitably gets measured up against the original work. When two things are riffing off the same base material, that's just natural.
Well first I want to clarify I didn’t mean it in an insulting way when I used the word snobbish, it’s just how many comments here came off, and I did explain the 'how 'or ‘why’ already, several times. But apart from maybe making me feel a bit like an uncultured farm boy for liking Abridged lol, I wasn’t particularly bothered by them. The only reason I brought it up was because of this weird and overly agressive way in which Demon Prince Piccolo responded to a person who made a comment (not even directed at him) about how the fans here were coming off whiny (it’s what I underestood from him commenting “the irony of the fans ruining a series”).
I agree with that because people in many of the comments, were, in fact, whining.
Complaining about the fanbase, the creators and about the inferiority of the parody in comparison to DBZ in such a way as if any of that was somehow offending or affecting the real series or their viewing experience.
I think that sort of attitude ruins things more than the people annoyingly quoting Abridged phrases. Which is why I felt the comment that person made was totally on point.

You say you don’t think anybody actually thinks like that, probably because maybe you didn’t read everything. I mean I don’t know if you’d actually want me to be very specific, otherwise I don’t want to re-read this whole thread to find the specific comments.
Regarding your post I was mostly referring to this part, at least this is what felt snobbish to me: “pretentious and self-referential for my liking. Pretty much the opposite of Toriyama's humour.”
The thing about “toriyama’s humor” feels like too much of an elevated and technical critique to give to a fan made parody that is not meant to be taken that seriously. And the term “pretentious” is probably one of the top preset snobby terms that snobs apply when making critiques. Usually.
it's hard not to compare DBZA to the original show when it's literally an abridged version of DBZ, with the same characters, same animation, and so on.
I mean yes, obviously it’s the same animation and characters. But considering the tone makes it something completely different, as it’s the intention, I’m having trouble understanding how/why would somebody compare the two.
Also dumb things like videos of “who did it better” are.. obviously, jokes. People having fun with the parody. For some here to be SO bothered by that and take it so seriously is kinda jarring to me, and it does seem kinda arrogant. Like DBZ is so solemn it’s an insult for it to have a parody version and even a greater insult that some people would prefer it. (Which is not even the case for me), but I think people who do shouldn’t be considered a threat to the DBZ viewing experience.
Cursed Lemon is kind of a jerk if you read the Dragon Ball Ending thread you will understand.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:07 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:39 am
The irony in all of this is that you're accusing different people of being snobby because you think they're taking a parody too seriously despite giving their honest opinions on it, yet you're saying that I don't know how to have a friendly discussion. You have blown this thing totally out of proportion. Even the commenter I initially replied to seems to have moved on. Whatever misunderstanding transpired was just that, a misunderstanding, and as I said, water under a bridge, and while I know my last reply to Peach was meant as a good-natured clarification, I'm not out to convince you that I'm being sincere or genuine; I don't even know you. Quit reading so much into people's responses/opinions online and relax a bit. Not sure why you've suddenly turned into the thought police when it was never that deep to begin with.

EDIT: As Cure Dragon 255 pointed out below, I took Cursed Lemon's initial comment to be moreso to the responses he's gotten on the Dragon Ball ending thread than about DBZA, since he directly called out members of the forum (I took his comment as more of a blanket statement not specific to this topic, just reflecting his feelings about the forum already). My initial reply here to him was referencing the irony of his comment, based on his responses in that thread. I can see how that wasn't clear if you hadn't been following that thread. I didn't mean it as an aggressive reply, even if it came off as such. Just a tongue-in-cheek one that had an added context.

I had to delete and post again cause I forgot to include two questions I wanted to reply to.

The irony in all of this is that you're accusing different people of being snobby because you think they're taking a parody too seriously despite giving their honest opinions on it,
Didn't really get what is your argument here. Not sure what's 'ironic' about that. Yes, that's correct, I'm saying some people here are snobbish for taking a parody too seriously and I've expanded on the subject, I explained specifically why I think so. And their "honest opinions" are snobby and I've also explained how/why in probably 5 different posts by this point. But not sure what any of that has to do with the point about you not being able to have a discussion.

you're saying that I don't know how to have a friendly discussion
Well can you? I mean, you keep calling, again, a friendly confrontation from my part, something that's "blown out of proportion" or a "debate" (which you lost, if that was what it was). Either way, the fact that you are trying to shut down a friendly discussion is kinda what gives the impression that you can't handle a friendly discussion.
And again, that's what I thought it was. I don’t believe I was at any point overly intense in this exchange.
Literally, my first reply to you was simply “you know, there is in fact some substance to what that guy said” proceded by an explanation as to why.
I also wasn’t agressive or rude at any point in the conversation. If I was, could you tell me which part? Because I honestly don’t know what seems so “blown out of proportion” about any of what I've said in comparison to any other argument here.

But also, I wasn’t even talking about it now, I think that wasn’t at all the subject of my latest post, so I’m not sure what is the point of this latest reply of yours.
I mean the point of my latest post was to say that I had no idea you thought this was a debate.
I had thought it was a normal conversation, honestly, and I explained why you weren’t clear about the fact that you found this exchange confrontative or whatever. Also, I said I’m sorry, not sure if you missed that. For making further replies. I don’t know how to take hints sometimes and in this case I didn’t get that you were SO tense with this subject or that if felt “blown out of proportion” to you. I mean I do find that kinda absurd but ok.
The point is I’m not sure what’s your point with THIS reply now, and especially with the hostility.
I wasn’t trying to engage you any further with my latest post at all, I was just clarifying why I did in the first place, and also why your attempts at shutting down a conversation don’t work on me.

the commenter I initially replied to seems to have moved on.
I don’t know what “how much Cursed Lemon is invested” has to do with anything. I don’t care about this person personally, he wasn’t the point at all in what I’ve said so far. The point was the fact that you are constantly contradicting yourself Demon Prince.

I know my last reply to Peach was meant as a good-natured clarification
LMAO I don’t mean to be rude but this is so funny.
I mean,..ok? It was a good-natured clarification. Did I ever challenge that fact or something?
It was a good-natured clarification, in which you literally revealed that you just ‘say’ things that aren’t “something you feel strongly about”, just to “appease”. How condescending is that.

PS – also, don’t know what is up with this “stop reading into the conversations” thing. I didn’t read “into” anything, I just read them, same as anybody here reads whatever they want to read that is being discussed collectively.
And that exchange in particular jumped at me. For the reason I have explained about 4 times already by this point.
I mean sometimes I reply to something that wasn’t adressed at me, and don’t think I’m the only one who does that. Same thing on youtube. And boy I argue a lot there. And there are certain comments that I see that for one reason or another jump at me and I feel the urge to contribute.
I think you are the one who should chill. I mean you edited your post 10 times, what the hell.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:09 am

I think you are the one who should chill. I mean you edited your post 10 times, what the hell.
Pretty funny that you wrote up all this, deleted it, and then have it here again and you're telling me to chill. As for the editing, I can't help it. I edit writing a lot in general outside of the forum, so I'm always seeing something I can change in what I write. I never said I wasn't a bit of an oddball. :)
And boy I argue a lot there.
Somehow this doesn't come as a shock.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:16 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:09 am
Pretty funny that you wrote up all this, deleted it, and then have it here again and you're telling me to chill. As for the editing, I can't help it. I edit writing a lot in general outside of the forum, so I'm always seeing something I can change in what I write. I never said I wasn't a bit of an oddball. :)
And boy I argue a lot there.
Somehow this doesn't come as a shock.
I explained why I deleted it. It right up there. I forgot to reply to a couple your points that I wanted to and the reason why I deleted it instead of edited is so you wouldn't be reading/replying something that was incomplete

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:38 am

dva_raza wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:07 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:39 am

I had to delete and post again cause I forgot to include two questions I wanted to reply to.

The irony in all of this is that you're accusing different people of being snobby because you think they're taking a parody too seriously despite giving their honest opinions on it,
Didn't really get what is your argument here. Not sure what's 'ironic' about that. Yes, that's correct, I'm saying some people here are snobbish for taking a parody too seriously and I've expanded on the subject, I explained specifically why I think so. And their "honest opinions" are snobby and I've also explained how/why in probably 5 different posts by this point. But not sure what any of that has to do with the point about you not being able to have a discussion.

you're saying that I don't know how to have a friendly discussion
Well can you? I mean, you keep calling, again, a friendly confrontation from my part, something that's "blown out of proportion" or a "debate" (which you lost, if that was what it was). Either way, the fact that you are trying to shut down a friendly discussion is kinda what gives the impression that you can't handle a friendly discussion.
And again, that's what I thought it was. I don’t believe I was at any point overly intense in this exchange.
Literally, my first reply to you was simply “you know, there is in fact some substance to what that guy said” proceded by an explanation as to why.
I also wasn’t agressive or rude at any point in the conversation. If I was, could you tell me which part? Because I honestly don’t know what seems so “blown out of proportion” about any of what I've said in comparison to any other argument here.

But also, I wasn’t even talking about it now, I think that wasn’t at all the subject of my latest post, so I’m not sure what is the point of this latest reply of yours.
I mean the point of my latest post was to say that I had no idea you thought this was a debate.
I had thought it was a normal conversation, honestly, and I explained why you weren’t clear about the fact that you found this exchange confrontative or whatever. Also, I said I’m sorry, not sure if you missed that. For making further replies. I don’t know how to take hints sometimes and in this case I didn’t get that you were SO tense with this subject or that if felt “blown out of proportion” to you. I mean I do find that kinda absurd but ok.
The point is I’m not sure what’s your point with THIS reply now, and especially with the hostility.
I wasn’t trying to engage you any further with my latest post at all, I was just clarifying why I did in the first place, and also why your attempts at shutting down a conversation don’t work on me.

the commenter I initially replied to seems to have moved on.
I don’t know what “how much Cursed Lemon is invested” has to do with anything. I don’t care about this person personally, he wasn’t the point at all in what I’ve said so far. The point was the fact that you are constantly contradicting yourself Demon Prince.

I know my last reply to Peach was meant as a good-natured clarification
LMAO I don’t mean to be rude but this is so funny.
I mean,..ok? It was a good-natured clarification. Did I ever challenge that fact or something?
It was a good-natured clarification, in which you literally revealed that you just ‘say’ things that aren’t “something you feel strongly about”, just to “appease”. How condescending is that.

PS – also, don’t know what is up with this “stop reading into the conversations” thing. I didn’t read “into” anything, I just read them, same as anybody here reads whatever they want to read that is being discussed collectively.
And that exchange in particular jumped at me. For the reason I have explained about 4 times already by this point.
I mean sometimes I reply to something that wasn’t adressed at me, and don’t think I’m the only one who does that. Same thing on youtube. And boy I argue a lot there. And there are certain comments that I see that for one reason or another jump at me and I feel the urge to contribute.
Cursed Lemon makes insanely rude blanket statement about an entire forum: A OK to you.

Piccolo calling him out on his shit: Rude Hypocrite
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:42 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:38 am
Cursed Lemon makes insanely rude blanket statement about an entire forum: A OK to you.

Piccolo calling him out on his shit: Rude Hypocrite

...Man, please. What is that? You don't need to put words in my mouth.
I never said he was a hypocrite. I said he contradicted himself a lot. He does. I could give several examples.

And I never said that other guy being a jerk is “A OK” considering I didn’t read fully that other conversation (I did scroll, and I just saw that he has some opinion that you all disagree with). But whatever he said in the other conversation doesn’t negate 2 things: 1, his inicial comment on this thread was accurate, 2, demon prince came at him, and was rude, yes.

That said, if you are going to reply, would you please actually read the post you’re replying to? Because if you had I don’t think you would have needed to bring this up considering it wasn’t the point of the discussion at all anymore.

There are indeed too much misinterpretations still happening, I already tried to clarify whatever needed to be. Don't know why this turned so hostile, as I said, I don't know why he percieved any of what I said as some sort of attack, I wasn't rude at any point in anything I said, or innacurate (I am genuinely open to be proven wrong but I haven't)
I just made observations, and I was honest about it and there isn't anything else I'm trying to do here.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:02 am

It seems certain folks are unable to have this discussion. Accounts strikes may/will be issued upon additional review.

Incidentally, this discussion already exists and is always ongoing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::