Opinion of Abridged?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Opinion of Abridged?

Post by BeaBumby » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm

Well I watched all of it instead of finishing the actual show and to me it was absolutely stellar.
However I would like to hear your viewpoint!
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Opinion of Abridged?

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm

It will come as no surprise, but I think it's absolutely horrible. It's not funny or even remotely clever. I kept trying after hearing so many great things about it, and I will never understand why people think it's funny.
BeaBumby wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm Well I watched all of it instead of finishing the actual show and to me it was absolutely stellar.
Please don't do this. Watch the actual show. This is not a supplement for it. It's a parody. It's not actually an abridged version of the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm Well I watched all of it instead of finishing the actual show and to me it was absolutely stellar.
Please don't do this. Watch the actual show. This is not a supplement for it. It's a parody. It's not actually an abridged version of the story.
Don't worry I understand that, I will finish the actual show eventually. They are two entirely different shows with different tones, voice actors, writers, music, etc. Besides, they didn't do the Buu arc so even if I was treating it as a supplement I'd still have to go watch the real deal for the last third of the show
Last edited by BeaBumby on Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm

i haven't seen much of it but the voice acting is really annoying lol

it seems less funny than the real show, though.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:46 pm

I thought it was a fantastic web-series, BUT...
as someone who did watch it before the real DBZ, WATCH THE ORIGINAL. It should NOT be a supplement to the show. Even the TFS crew are bewildered by fans who say Abridged is better.

If you’d like, watch DBZ KAI, the ACTUAL official “abridged” version of DBZ
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:56 pm

I've only seen segments, but it's not really my bag. And I have some disdain for how it's colored people's perceptions of characters that are simply false (such as Piccolo being Gohan's real father and not Goku). I think it's a joke that overstayed its welcome and should have been relegated to a short video.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:58 pm

I don't even know how to express how good it is. I knew from a few years ago it was dubbed here in Mexico but have never watched either until recently.
It has probably the most perfect own ever.
Perfect Cell to Vegeta "some advice prince, next time, why don't you remember your place like the rest of them.. and wait for Goku? (kicks him into the sky and then elbows him back down) DAMN
Anyway it's incredibly well done, clever, and I laughed my ass off. So many favorite scenes/quotes. It was my favorite " discovery" after Dragon Ball Super in the latest months.
I give it a 10/10
Last edited by dva_raza on Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:00 pm

I absolutely adore it. The Namek saga is really where they found their footing, and it gets better as it goes on.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:40 pm

I hate it. And I hate it the way Ebert hated North, which means I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:46 pm

It was one of the things that originally kicked off my enjoyment of DB as one of my interests, although I have to say, I prefer actual DB to it. It does have a few moments that do make me have a brief chuckle nowadays, but not much more. I do enjoy a few of the VAs' performances though. Not bad voices, at least for what they're going for.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Hate the fanbase, but the show itself is always good for a laugh and I genuinely enjoy their takes on certain parts of the Android saga
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:17 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:07 pm Hate the fanbase, but the show itself is always good for a laugh and I genuinely enjoy their takes on certain parts of the Android saga
Just this. The fanbase is an insufferable cancer but the show itself is a fun loving parody.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm

Most overrated thing i've ever seen related to this franchise. I laughed few times at first few episodes but that's it. It becomes boring very fast. I actually see many people saying abridged is the best version of DBZ ever made and they're not joking sadly :? I can't imagine waiting months just to see next episode of that thing.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:43 pm

I think it's pretty funny, but I agree that the fanbase is obnoxious as hell. There is no legitimate reason why you should watch a parody of a show instead of the actual show it's parodying, and it gets especially ridiculous when people claim to be "DBZ fans" despite their only exposure to the franchise being Abridged. It's like someone claiming to be a "Star Wars fan" when the only Star Wars movie they've seen is Spaceballs.

I also hate all the misconceptions about the story and characters that Abridged has created. It's the same sort of misconceptions that the old Funi dub created, just in the opposite direction: While the old dub made people think Goku is a noble paragon of justice with almost Jesus-like qualities, Abridged makes people think Goku is a moronic asshole who only saves the world by accident.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:45 pm

The most insufferable among the fans are those that dislike Dragon Ball full-stop and treat DBZA as objectively better. Like, the story is still the same, just with comedy that you happen to like!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:55 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:45 pm The most insufferable among the fans are those that dislike Dragon Ball full-stop and treat DBZA as objectively better. Like, the story is still the same, just with comedy that you happen to like!
See, this is what turns me away from even wanting to watch Abridged. Maybe I'd like it more than I think, but the obnoxious fanbase who think a parody is the most legitimate form of the story turns me off from even wanting to give it a deeper try. I'm not saying that's every fan of DBZA, but it's a big enough group.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:02 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:55 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:45 pm The most insufferable among the fans are those that dislike Dragon Ball full-stop and treat DBZA as objectively better. Like, the story is still the same, just with comedy that you happen to like!
See, this is what turns me away from even wanting to watch Abridged. Maybe I'd like it more than I think, but the obnoxious fanbase who think a parody is the most legitimate form of the story turns me off from even wanting to give it a deeper try. I'm not saying that's every fan of DBZA, but it's a big enough group.
Nah nah, you should still watch it. The first few episodes are a bit dated but it gets better when Vegeta and Nappa arrive.
If you don’t find it funny by the tenth episode, though, I’m afraid it might be a lost cause for you.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:03 pm

I had no idea Abridged fans didn’t watch or don’t like DB, I thought it was obvious that it’s just a fun parody that someone who knows Dragon Ball and is a fan would want to see

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:05 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:03 pm
I had no idea Abridged fans didn’t watch or don’t like DB, I thought it was obvious that it’s just a fun parody that someone who knows Dragon Ball and is a fan would want to see
There's a group of people who aren't fans of Dragon Ball who swear by DBZA and think it exposes what's wrong with the series. When in reality, it's meant as a love letter to the series.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:14 pm

My personal preference of watching DBZ :)
1. Japanese
2. Abridged
3. English dub
Original DBZ dub had lots of jokes that were later used in Abridged. I'm also little bias, since some of DBZ voice actors are not very nice people, to put it lightly, and I'm person who doesn't separate ceator and it's product :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015