Opinion of Abridged?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Opinion of Abridged?

Post by Skar » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:51 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 amToo bad they included that teaser for the unrealized "season 4" at the end of Ep 60 pt3...
They did?? Damn I don't remember. I always thought they decided against continuing to the Buu saga before completing the finale.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 am

Skar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:51 am
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 amToo bad they included that teaser for the unrealized "season 4" at the end of Ep 60 pt3...
They did?? Damn I don't remember. I always thought they decided against continuing to the Buu saga before completing the finale.
I mean, they explained in their update video from Feb 2020 that they wanted to do the Bojack film as well, but couldn't get through with it due to burnout.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am

I'm pretty sure everyone knows they won't do Super, even earlier when I said I hope they do Super, I was obviously smoking copium. They took 10 years just to cover like half or 2/3 of DBZ, so naturally they're not doing Super. It takes way too long.

It's just a shame because some (a lot actually) of characters in Super would be very fun to dub for these people. I think they'd have a lot of fun dubbing Black and Zamasu and their whole dynamic, as well as Cabba, Caulifla, Kale, Ribrianne, Toppo, etc. etc. etc. there's a lot of great characters in Super that they could have had a lot of fun with.

Some of these characters (Ribrianne, Toppo...) already feel like DBZA characters to be honest, with that whole "transformation sequence" BS :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:23 am

The Raditz arc is really dull, slow and lifeless, I started enjoying it once Nappa and Vegeta came to Earth. It's finally enjoyable by the Goku vs Vegeta fight. The Namek arc is fantastic (Freeza and Vegeta are stellar), and the android saga is even better(Trunks' introduction, damn).
I love Cell's first two forms, and the initial Perfect Cell. Cell is creepy as fuck at first, and Lips Cell has that awesome sequence arguing with the islanders.

I think it started to lose its grip after the Cell Games hiatus, when those shorts with Cell receiving challengers from different shows happened. The Cell Games weren't as good as the previous stuff for me, and I agree that it seemed to try to be something it couldn't be, with a more serious tone that wasn't there before. It doesn't take me out of it, it's not unfunny, but it was not the same as before. Good thing is it lasted for just 3 episodes. It's still good, though.

Oh, and the movies, I liked all of them.

TFS' fandom? yeah, it's really bad, but I couldn't care less about how other people feel or react to it online. I mean, have you seen the DB fandom? from where I'm from, it's basically as conservative as a right-wing party.

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am

BeaBumby wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm Well I watched all of it instead of finishing the actual show and to me it was absolutely stellar.
However I would like to hear your viewpoint!
It's absolutely fantastic, and as a fan, I'm glad I live in a world, where we can have such a high standard, professional fan work to enjoy. The first season might not be as great from a technical stand point, and some of the jokes fall flat, but the further we go, the better it gets. As someone who doesn't have time to watch the entire Dragon Ball/Z anymore (saw it about three times when I was younger), I'm glad I can use this as a substitute, to remind myself of the best moments from the show, but with a new twist to it. It's also works great as a background noise for work.

I think the show was at its best from Nappa and Vegeta arrival to the end of Namek Saga. Overal, I'm glad it exists and I really wish we got the Buu Saga. Alas. :(

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:24 pm

I started watcing it when it came out and enjoyed it but as the fanbase grew and started "replacing the show" it really turned me off (not to mention I was loosing interest in the show anyway). Now I can't watch a video, let alone the series without someone popping in TFS lines or mentioning how they "did it better". Ugh....

No hate twords them tho, because they're making of and ranking videos are very interesting and they know their stuff. They just have the same issue that almost all these abridged parodies have..

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 pm

Again, the other person stated his point terribly if that's what he was saying. It ended up being some weird tangent about people just being mad that people don't like the things they like, something that no one actually said. And it's kind of hypocritical because it shows that person is also upset that people aren't thinking the way he's thinking. I'm not sure why you're circling back to this.

Critiques can come off as trashing; that doesn't mean they're not critiques, nor do they make anyone arrogant. The people who made them watched the show. Again, being a parody doesn't exempt something from being judged harshly, and I'm sure the TFS creators have known and accepted this. They seem like a great bunch of guys. I still don't get "snobby" from the complaints. We're probably not going to change each other's minds on the subject, so I think it's best to just agree to disagree here.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 pm We're probably not going to change each other's minds on the subject, so I think it's best to just agree to disagree here.
Dude I don’t know about you but I swear, I’m not in the least attempting to change your mind on anything, whatever I’m replying is to clarify things that seem unclear. Which I always care about doing. And that’s my ony intention.

Again, the other person stated his point terribly if that's what he was saying. It ended up being some weird tangent about people just being mad that people don't like the things they like, something that no one actually said. I'm not sure why you're circling back to this
Lol circling back, wtf I was just explaining what drove me to this conversation. And that exchange was the reason.
It has nothing to do with me being bothered by people disliking or trasing the series is what I was trying to say.

And the first thing that person said was that you were a fanbase who were ruining the series with your whining basically, for him at least.
To me that seemed accurate because like I said previously, the ones who seemed to be giving it an exagerated importance or depth were the replies here, not the Abridged fans. I mean I’ve scrolled through comments whenever I watched a video and at worst they were repetitive with all the quoting and whatver but I never got such an obnoxious vibe of regarding Abridged with importance that it should not have, like the one I felt from the comments here, from people who apparently dislike it. Which is precisely ironic, as that guy said.

Critiques can come off as trashing; that doesn't mean they're not critiques, nor do they make anyone arrogant. The people who made them watched the show
Um well they shouldn't, considering they are different things.
Critiquing is simply making an evaluation and analysis negative or positive but trashing is attacking or destroying something wilfully or maliciously.
I said some comments sounded more like trashing than a critique because they seemed to be attacking it wilfully, for petty reasons like the fanbase being annoying.
And I already explained the arrogance o snobish part.
Arrogance means showing an offensive attitude of superiority.
Again, putting a fanmade parody series on the same level than DBZ and judging it by standarts in can’t meet makes it very easy to “critique” it and to emphasize it’s “inferiority”.
That’s where the arrogant feel came from. And that's LITERALLY what they were doing.

Again, to clarify, I don’t care about that! They are in full right to be arrogant or trash or critique. I didn’t begin arguments with people for trashing or not liking it, I genuinely don’t care.
It just jumped at me when you attacked someone who pointed out something that was indeed being done here lol. I mean the whole thread had began feeling like that, why get defensive when it’s being pointed out? I’m just saying.
Last edited by dva_raza on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:54 pm

Gridlock wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am I think the show was at its best from Nappa and Vegeta arrival to the end of Namek Saga. Overal, I'm glad it exists and I really wish we got the Buu Saga. Alas. :(
You know, I wonder how TFS in their state would have faired with attempting the Buu saga. Yes, we expect it to be as funny as usual, but considering how they were burned out (as they admitted in their update video), it seems like a Monkey's Paw wish to make.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:18 pm

OK, dude, that's fair. I'm not really passionate on arguing this any further. At this point it's all water under the bridge, or over the dam. :thumbup:
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:53 am
I'm not sure why you're accusing anyone of being snobbish
Comments like these
- The creators of it acting like they're the shit, and celebrities, and rock stars at Youmacon killed my interest.
- Another poster saying it's too "wordy" hit the nail on the head. The characters talk in a very pretentious, forced, and unnatural way. It suffers from the same problem as later Venture Bros episodes too - getting too into their meta.
- By the end of the Cell arc, though, the humour became far too wordy, pretentious and self-referential for my liking. Pretty much the opposite of Toriyama's humour. It became too much of a gag-a-minute fare, repeating the same unfunny jokes over and over and over and over again. Sometimes within the same damn episode. Yet at the same time, I get the impression that they wanted to make something more serious and professional than a mere parody, which is why the Cell arc suddenly has loads of emotional moments that just feel jarring.
People also aren't snobbish if they don't find it funny or recommend people don't use it as a substitute
Which is why I never said anybody is snobbish for not finding the show funny/recommending it. I said it's because they're taking a fanmade parody so seriosuly (comparing it to DBZ) and critizising it’s fanbase/creators.
Which is , like I said, a totally valid complaint.
But to have that as a reason for not wanting to watch or not liking something makes no sense.
The OP asked for opinions, not only positive opinions
Lol exactly, the OP asked for opinions of the show, not of the fanbase. Which is precisely the point I'm trying to make.
That I don't know why the fanbase or the creators attitude or whatever acquired so much weight in this discussion when those things should be irrelevant, I can understand just mentioning it as as a "by the way" fact, but are you going to deny it became the main argument of most who critized it?
Bruh, I don't know how you took our comments as snobbish. For mine, it's the exact opposite, I'm complaining that the humour became too wordy and pretentious and that I preferred it when the tone and humour was dumber! I don't think anyone here is taking DBZA as seriously as you claim. Even so, it's hard not to compare DBZA to the original show when it's literally an abridged version of DBZ, with the same characters, same animation, and so on. It's like how fanfiction inevitably gets measured up against the original work. When two things are riffing off the same base material, that's just natural.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pm

It can be mixed bag which most of it being cringe. I do find it annoying when people always quote it when something DB related comes up.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Gridlock wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am
BeaBumby wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm Well I watched all of it instead of finishing the actual show and to me it was absolutely stellar.
However I would like to hear your viewpoint!
It's absolutely fantastic, and as a fan, I'm glad I live in a world, where we can have such a high standard, professional fan work to enjoy. The first season might not be as great from a technical stand point, and some of the jokes fall flat, but the further we go, the better it gets. As someone who doesn't have time to watch the entire Dragon Ball/Z anymore (saw it about three times when I was younger), I'm glad I can use this as a substitute, to remind myself of the best moments from the show, but with a new twist to it. It's also works great as a background noise for work.

I think the show was at its best from Nappa and Vegeta arrival to the end of Namek Saga. Overal, I'm glad it exists and I really wish we got the Buu Saga. Alas. :(
You can't use this as a substitute. It's not Dragon Ball. It's a parody.
TobyS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:09 am
ABED wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm It will come as no surprise, but I think it's absolutely horrible. It's not funny or even remotely clever. I kept trying after hearing so many great things about it, and I will never understand why people think it's funny.
Please don't do this. Watch the actual show. This is not a supplement for it. It's a parody. It's not actually an abridged version of the story.
See I don't get this If you are gonna be humourless or insist on the “original” at least tell people to read the manga.

In either case people should read the manga or watch the JP anime first if only to get more of the jokes and references imo.
I'm being "humourless"?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 pmYou can't use this as a substitute. It's not Dragon Ball. It's a parody.
I think you're taking this too seriously. Sure it's a parody, but a parody that still hits almost all of the important story points, and tells that story well enough, even with all the changes they make. I know you will disagree, but for me it's no different than watching/reading a synopsis, that's been spiced up a bit, so it won't feel dry while recounting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:14 pm

Gridlock wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 pmYou can't use this as a substitute. It's not Dragon Ball. It's a parody.
I think you're taking this too seriously. Sure it's a parody, but a parody that still hits almost all of the important story points, and tells that story well enough, even with all the changes they make. I know you will disagree, but for me it's no different than watching/reading a synopsis, that's been spiced up a bit, so it won't feel dry while recounting.
This isn't about taking things seriously, it's not Dragon Ball. A story is more than just a loose connection of plot points. It's characterization, voice, themes, all of which is absent. It's not a synopsis and a synopsis is also not reading a story. The flavor is gone

Also, it's neither good nor funny so I don't know why you would want to substitute a good, funny show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:21 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:14 pm
This isn't about taking things seriously, it's not Dragon Ball. A story is more than just a loose connection of plot points. It's characterization, voice, themes, all of which is absent. It's not a synopsis and a synopsis is also not reading a story. The flavor is gone

Also, it's neither good nor funny so I don't know why you would want to substitute a good, funny show.
Because what's good and funny is subjective? I would say that what Funimation did to Dragon Ball Z--more particularly during the first two arcs back in the day--is right along the lines of Abridged. Why is that accepted? Because it has an official sticker on it?

Fans are allowed to enjoy whatever they want. Sure, relying on Abridged to debate or recite facts about Dragon Ball Z is like bringing a banana to a war, but only a crazy person would argue otherwise. I think most people are well aware of what it is.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:17 pm

I love Abridged. I've watched through the entirety of TFS DBZ at least a dozen times (The sixty episodes are only about six hours long).
You can't use this as a substitute. It's not Dragon Ball. It's a parody.
I most certainly can!

I used to own all the FUNi bricks and double features. I would rewatch the series over and over. Now, in the same time time it would take to fully watch a season, I can blow through two thirds of the series story. Who cares if it a parody when if it's the same general plot.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:11 pm

It's the funniest shit ever to me. Also, today is my 14th birthday!
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:21 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:14 pm

Because what's good and funny is subjective? I would say that what Funimation did to Dragon Ball Z--more particularly during the first two arcs back in the day--is right along the lines of Abridged. Why is that accepted? Because it has an official sticker on it?

Fans are allowed to enjoy whatever they want. Sure, relying on Abridged to debate or recite facts about Dragon Ball Z is like bringing a banana to a war, but only a crazy person would argue otherwise. I think most people are well aware of what it is.
I'm not saying he can't enjoy just that it isn't DB. I didn't imply that. That's objectively true. It is NOT a substitute for DB.

And no, as bad as the Ocean dub scripts were, it's at least a butchered version of DB, this is not. The ocean dub also had highly skilled professional actors, this did not.
It's the funniest shit ever to me
Watch a George Carlin special or a Mel Brooks movie. There is WAY funnier stuff out there.
I most certainly can!
You most certainly can't because it's not Dragon Ball.
Who cares if it a parody when if it's the same general plot.
Because stories are more than a general plot.

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:49 am

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm
Who cares if it a parody when if it's the same general plot.
Because stories are more than a general plot.
But I know the story already. Watched the anime three time by now, and read the manga. So whats wrong in digesting it again, but in a shortened form to save time, and maybe look at it from a different perspective?