Opinion of Abridged?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Re: Opinion of Abridged?

Post by KPike87 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 am

I realize this could be said by a lot of things, but while I find the series hilarious, the community is so annoying. Every clip of the regular shows on YouTube, and I mean all of them, have several people quoting the TFS version and they're all the top comments, it's like an echo chamber for jokes; funny in context but I already heard/read them a million times already. It feels like there're more DBZA fans than DB fans.

But the thing that pisses me off legitimately are those people that try to be deep asking, "Did TFS do it better???", especially YouTubers that ask that question. ...No, it's a parody, they're trying to do two completely separate things, such a dumb question. Some things in Abridged are, hilariously, more accurate than the Ocean/Funi dubs, but that just goes to show how many people judge the show off of the outdated dubs, and how few actually watched the Japanese version.

Rant over. But DBZA itself? Yeah, it's pretty good.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 am

KPike87 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 am But the thing that pisses me off legitimately are those people that try to be deep asking, "Did TFS do it better???", especially YouTubers that ask that question. ...No, it's a parody, they're trying to do two completely separate things, such a dumb question.
Isn't that also a joke? The question of "who did it better"

And also, why does it piss you off exactly?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:07 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:57 pm So you're not doing anything of any further substance.
There is some substance to what that person pointed out. That most of the complaints here come off grumpy (I would use snobbish).
Not because you don’t like the series! Just because most of you are taking a fanmade parody so seriosuly (comparing it to DBZ lol) and critizising it’s fanbase/creators.
The complaint itself is valid, but to have that as a reason for not wanting to watch or not liking something is nonsensical.
I think that was the point this Lemon Curse was expressing.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:18 am

dva_raza wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:07 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:57 pm So you're not doing anything of any further substance.
There is some substance to what that person pointed out. That most of the complaints here come off grumpy (I would use snobbish).
Not because you don’t like the series! Just because most of you are taking a fanmade parody so seriosuly (comparing it to DBZ lol) and critizising it’s fanbase/creators.
The complaint itself is valid, but to have that as a reason for not wanting to watch or not liking something is nonsensical.
I think that was the point this Lemon Curse was expressing.
A lot of the people with complaints (about the fanbase) have said they do like DBZA, so I'm not sure why you're accusing anyone of being snobbish. People also aren't snobbish if they don't find it funny or recommend people don't use it as a substitute. Either way, if that was his point, it was pretty poorly expressed and a strawman. I don't think anyone here cares if someone doesn't like DBZ in-and-of-itself. People don't have to like the same things, and yes, that also goes for DBZA. The OP asked for opinions, not only positive opinions.

Anyway, I've already said I'll give it a deeper try at some point. If I was that grumpy, I wouldn't even consider it. I may even end up loving it for all I know; my opinions have changed before. That's all I have left to say on the subject, at least until I've watched more.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:27 am

dva_raza wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 am
KPike87 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 am But the thing that pisses me off legitimately are those people that try to be deep asking, "Did TFS do it better???", especially YouTubers that ask that question. ...No, it's a parody, they're trying to do two completely separate things, such a dumb question.

It probably was a joke at first, but I've seen people who legitamently think that Abridged did what Z was trying to do but better. I'm not going to say they're wrong for preferring the parody, but they're apples and oranges to me, which I guess just sits with me the wrong way. Like I said Abridged and the guys over at TFS are all great, I just think people are making the web series to be deeper than it actually is.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:53 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:18 am A lot of the people with complaints (about the fanbase) have said they do like DBZA, so I'm not sure why you're accusing anyone of being snobbish. People also aren't snobbish if they don't find it funny or recommend people don't use it as a substitute. Either way, if that was his point, it was pretty poorly expressed and a strawman. I don't think anyone here cares if someone doesn't like DBZ in-and-of-itself. People don't have to like the same things, and yes, that also goes for DBZA. The OP asked for opinions, not only positive opinions.
I'm not sure why you're accusing anyone of being snobbish
Comments like these
- The creators of it acting like they're the shit, and celebrities, and rock stars at Youmacon killed my interest.
- Another poster saying it's too "wordy" hit the nail on the head. The characters talk in a very pretentious, forced, and unnatural way. It suffers from the same problem as later Venture Bros episodes too - getting too into their meta.
- By the end of the Cell arc, though, the humour became far too wordy, pretentious and self-referential for my liking. Pretty much the opposite of Toriyama's humour. It became too much of a gag-a-minute fare, repeating the same unfunny jokes over and over and over and over again. Sometimes within the same damn episode. Yet at the same time, I get the impression that they wanted to make something more serious and professional than a mere parody, which is why the Cell arc suddenly has loads of emotional moments that just feel jarring.
People also aren't snobbish if they don't find it funny or recommend people don't use it as a substitute
Which is why I never said anybody is snobbish for not finding the show funny/recommending it. I said it's because they're taking a fanmade parody so seriosuly (comparing it to DBZ) and critizising it’s fanbase/creators.
Which is , like I said, a totally valid complaint.
But to have that as a reason for not wanting to watch or not liking something makes no sense.
The OP asked for opinions, not only positive opinions
Lol exactly, the OP asked for opinions of the show, not of the fanbase. Which is precisely the point I'm trying to make.
That I don't know why the fanbase or the creators attitude or whatever acquired so much weight in this discussion when those things should be irrelevant, I can understand just mentioning it as as a "by the way" fact, but are you going to deny it became the main argument of most who critized it?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 am

No I won't deny it, but parts of the fanbase have become so synonymous with people's perception of the show due to references popping up on DB YT videos that have nothing to do with it, as KPike87 pointed out. I can understand people automatically associating the fanbase with it, considering how viral it went. I'm not saying fanbases should color anyone's perception of a series, but they often do in the digital age. For better or worse.

Those comments you shared didn't come off as snobby to me. Just people's honest opinions on the quality of the material based on its intended purpose. I thought they were well stated.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:04 am

KPike87 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:27 am
dva_raza wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 am

It probably was a joke at first, but I've seen people who legitamently think that Abridged did what Z was trying to do but better. I'm not going to say they're wrong for preferring the parody, but they're apples and oranges to me, which I guess just sits with me the wrong way. Like I said Abridged and the guys over at TFS are all great, I just think people are making the web series to be deeper than it actually is.
They're apples and oranges to me too, I don't even know why would somebody compare the two. The absurd tone of Abridged makes it a completey new thing that I can't logically compare it to DBZ. But my point is, from what I see, the ones who are "making the web series deeper than it actually is" are the ones who don't like it, I'm seeing it in the comments here. Which is what's strange to me because it's not meant to be taken that seriously

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:34 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 am I'm not saying fanbases should color anyone's perception of a series, but they often do in the digital age.
I get that, but I simply perceived a truly exaggerated importance given to the fanbase coming from many comments here
Those comments you shared didn't come off as snobby to me. Just people's honest opinions on the quality of the material based on its intended purpose. I thought they were well-stated.
I don't know, critizising in this elevated manner a fan made parody, which is by default, inferior and always will be, and comparing it to the original, comes off as snobbish to me. Kinda like a rich person critizing a poor person because he doesn't have what he has. That's all I was saying. I just thought it's silly to take it that seriously

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:38 am

dva_raza wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:34 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 am I'm not saying fanbases should color anyone's perception of a series, but they often do in the digital age.
I get that, but I simply perceived a truly exaggerated importance given to the fanbase coming from many comments here
Those comments you shared didn't come off as snobby to me. Just people's honest opinions on the quality of the material based on its intended purpose. I thought they were well-stated.
I don't know, critizising in this elevated manner a fan made parody, which is by default, inferior and always will be, and comparing it to the original, comes off as snobbish to me. Kinda like a rich person critizing a poor person because he doesn't have what he has. That's all I was saying. I just thought it's silly to take it that seriously
I mean I guess so, but we're also discussing it seriously on a forum for the official series (and its components) in the first place. Maybe it seems a bit much to critique it to this degree, but people are pretty harsh on fans films, too. It's just the nature of things.

Well, thanks for at least stating your points in a way that allows for an actual good discussion on the matter. I can definitely see where you're coming from even if we aren't 100% on the same page.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 am

Forgot to mention this, but...

The amount of sass and sarcasm from the characters in the parody annoys the hell out of me. Another major criticism of the series.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:53 am

I gotta admit I will always love the bitch rant.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:43 am

But the sass is, like, the funniest bits...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:02 am

I wish they did Super to be honest. I watched this clip and I loved it, I hope they continue with Super eventually and give Black and Zamasu the respect they are entitled to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllFiRepJ2I

The villains have always been amazing in DBZA, I genuinely love everything Imperfect Cell says.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:36 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:38 am I mean I guess so, but we're also discussing it seriously on a forum for the official series (and its components) in the first place. Maybe it seems a bit much to critique it to this degree, but people are pretty harsh on fans films, too. It's just the nature of things.
Lol. No. I didn’t say it should’nt be discussed seriously, I’m saying the series shouldn’t be taken seriously when discussing it.
I mean that a basic notion of what it is (which is: a fan made parody) should be mantained. Putting the parody on the same level with the original series means you are judging something inferior by standarts that it won’t meet and it didn’t even intended to meet.
And I don’t care about the “critiques” (although most seemed more like trashing than critiques). But I don't care about that either. I didn’t actually argue with anybody who trashed it. I honestly don’t give a fuck who likes it or not.
I replied only when this other argument happened. When you were attacking this person who pointed out the arrogantce in some of these arguments, kinda seemed off considering that’s exacty what some some of you’ve been doing.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:46 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:02 am I wish they did Super to be honest. I watched this clip and I loved it, I hope they continue with Super eventually and give Black and Zamasu the respect they are entitled to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllFiRepJ2I

The villains have always been amazing in DBZA, I genuinely love everything Imperfect Cell says.
Actually I saw a BoG Abridged version like 3 months ago and then it got deleted, I have no idea what happened to it.
The only other Super thing there is I think is a short clip about the whole Hit situation, https://youtu.be/xfNZwXUh_uw

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:09 am

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm It will come as no surprise, but I think it's absolutely horrible. It's not funny or even remotely clever. I kept trying after hearing so many great things about it, and I will never understand why people think it's funny.
BeaBumby wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm Well I watched all of it instead of finishing the actual show and to me it was absolutely stellar.
Please don't do this. Watch the actual show. This is not a supplement for it. It's a parody. It's not actually an abridged version of the story.
See I don't get this If you are gonna be humourless or insist on the “original” at least tell people to read the manga.

In either case people should read the manga or watch the JP anime first if only to get more of the jokes and references imo.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 am

I really enjoyed it and still watch the new shorts. Like all fanwork it's just a harmless tribute to the original series and not meant to be taken too seriously. I still respect all the work they put in and gave it an ending because so many fan projects are left hanging without any conclusion.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 am

Skar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 am I really enjoyed it and still watch the new shorts. Like all fanwork it's just a harmless tribute to the original series and not meant to be taken too seriously. I still respect all the work they put in and gave it an ending because so many fan projects are left hanging without any conclusion.
Too bad they included that teaser for the unrealized "season 4" at the end of Ep 60 pt3...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:38 am

The earlier episodes of Saiyan and Namek Saga were better when they were not yet "fandom famous"., when there hasnt been yet a "TFS" universe. By the Cell Saga i couldnt stand to watch. A lot of the forcedness and general...badness was because they dont have as good a grasp on certain characters as they think. It's like watching (parodies of) total different characters rather than parodies of og characters, and maybe that dissonance while canon was going on strong in the revival, was part of reason they grew tired and stopped. I liked some voices though, they can be better than those from Funi and Ocean dubs.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.