I miss the DB Gang

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

I miss the DB Gang

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:55 pm

Yknow.
Gokuu, Bulma, Krillin, Roshi, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Lunch, Yamcha, Puar, and Oolong

A big group of friends who support eachother through and through! There was always a wholesome charm to the gang, it never felt lonely watching the show. It felt nice ´:]

For some reason that feeling isn't there anymore
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: I miss the DB Gang

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 pm

While this is my favorite crew, I actually think the evolution of the supporting cast is one of DB's strengths. It makes the passages of time feel more plausible, and it makes sense as the Earthlings are outstripped strength-wise. I like the nostalgic tug that's associated with the group of Bulma, Yamcha, Oolong, Puar, Lunch, etc. because those were the old days. Granted, Bulma has regained more prominence in Super.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:55 am

I think that the issue is that the series turned its focus to fighting and power. Even at the start of Z, as the Z Warriors fought an enemy much more powerful, the idea of strong friendship was there. Then, of course, most of the core characters were killed and the story shofted a bit. Since the Z Warriors' resurrection after the battle on Namek, there were very few and far between moments that highlighted friendship. Every now and then, we get these sweet moments like everyone trying to help Gohan fight Cell or the little moment after Gohan defeated Cell or Goku and Kuririn's moments in GT and Super, but by in large, the story seems to be: if you're not strong enough to deal with an opponent, you're useless. There is very little focus on friendship anymore and the story mostly turns on training or fighting.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 pm

One of the best aspects of DragonBall is the side characters. I just need someone to invite Lunch to some of the cast parties. Is she living off the grid under a new name working as a trucker?
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:26 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 pm One of the best aspects of DragonBall is the side characters. I just need someone to invite Lunch to some of the cast parties. Is she living off the grid under a new name working as a trucker?
I mean she DOES have a train station named after her, maybe she pursued an interest in vehicles
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 pm

I think that the majority of the Dragon Ball characters do probably keep in touch and that the contrast between the early days and the Z era probably isn't as stark as it might seem. Bulma, Master Roshi, Puar, Oolong, even some of the martial artists like Krillin and Yamcha are more 'normal' socially and likely interact at least every month or two (and I know Oolong still lives with Roshi for much of Z, if not the entire thing). It's mainly just a handful of hermits like Goku, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu that only rarely see everyone. It's also a trait that seems entirely absent in the younger generations, with Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Videl seeming to keep in touch with family and close friends on a more regular basis.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:24 pm

One of my favorite aspects of the series is that the cast is constantly changing in a very organic way. They make new allies but they drift apart as well, and there aren't really any implications that they visit each other between story arcs, every event is treated like a reunion. Some became close, including some odd pairings, while others drifted apart completely.

It's just how life works, and I think it's a critical part of the series' 35-year timespan.

Another fun exercise is adding up just how much time Goku spent with these people. Goku really only met Tenshinhan seven times: At the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, when he returned from Earth, the day the Artificial Humans landed, the day he rescued him from Cell, the Cell Games and during the fight with Boo. Call it seven and a half, if you count the conversation on the way to Namek.