Why are so many DB creators becoming subject to Toei's wrath?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Re: Why are so many DB creators becoming subject to Toei's wrath?

Post by dva_raza » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:37 pm As for TNM, the reason I’m surprised about this is because I didn’t think YouTube would take the side of a relatively small content creator over a big corporation like Toei.
That was precisely my point, that I don't see why some people believe Youtube would disregard a fair judgement and just rule in favor of whoever is more powerful. Have they done that? Maybe I'm not aware enough cause I thought they had at least the intention of doing things right

Still, voice actors seem like very hypocritical people in general, so I can’t say I’d feel bad for any of them losing their jobs.
..wtf

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:31 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:13 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:25 pm

Not really. Christopher Niosi/Kirbopher was in a lot of abridged parodies and ended up being a voice actor. Same with Megami33. And I don’t think she was in any “abridged series” per se but I do know Cristina Vee was in some fan dub parodies before becoming a voice actress.

If anything having experience voice acting even in amateur fan gag dubs is a good resume builder. It’s just most people making abridged series can’t voice act for shit.
I’ve seen people in the voice acting industry say that including “I worked on this Internet parody” on your resume is a bad idea. Obviously, that doesn’t mean that being involved in one will automatically ruin your career, but it’s apparently best to keep that stuff under wraps when auditioning for an actual voice acting position. Lanipator and Kaiserneko have pretty much been blacklisted from the industry specifically because they were the guys responsible for DBZA.

Still, voice actors seem like very hypocritical people in general, so I can’t say I’d feel bad for any of them losing their jobs.
Not feeling bad about people losing their livelihoods (their ability to eat, have a home, have healthcare and relaxation) is bad and you should feel bad for saying such a thing.

EDIT: Wow, what a way to hit 15,000 posts.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:18 pm ..wtf
They’re hypocrites. They’re two-faced. A lot of them have ties to shit like Newgrounds, despite how they publicly try to pass themselves off as these nice and accepting people. I've seen actors like Kira Buckland and Erica Lindbeck (the voice of Cheelai) express support for BLM, despite working with bigoted edgelords like Hotdiggeydemon and Psychicpebbles. If you want to work with shitty people, fine, but don’t try to pass yourself off as a progressive person.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:00 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm They’re hypocrites. They’re two-faced. A lot of them have ties to shit like Newgrounds, despite how they publicly try to pass themselves off as these nice and accepting people. I've seen actors like Kira Buckland and Erica Lindbeck (the voice of Cheelai) express support for BLM, despite working with bigoted edgelords like Hotdiggeydemon and Psychicpebbles. If you want to work with shitty people, fine, but don’t try to pass yourself off as a progressive person.
That... doesn't really make sense? I mean, how does any of that translate to "voice actors are shitty people"? Sure, there may be some line-crossing stuff on Newgrounds, but the majority of the content there seems harmless, especially back in the 2000s when voice actors made their names there in the first place. And I have no idea who those "bigoted edgelords" are, but if you can only think of two examples of voice actors being somewhat hypocritical, the idea that all voice actors are two-faced bigots who deserve to die seems like a major stretch.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 pm

ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:00 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm They’re hypocrites. They’re two-faced. A lot of them have ties to shit like Newgrounds, despite how they publicly try to pass themselves off as these nice and accepting people. I've seen actors like Kira Buckland and Erica Lindbeck (the voice of Cheelai) express support for BLM, despite working with bigoted edgelords like Hotdiggeydemon and Psychicpebbles. If you want to work with shitty people, fine, but don’t try to pass yourself off as a progressive person.
That... doesn't really make sense? I mean, how does any of that translate to "voice actors are shitty people"? Sure, there may be some line-crossing stuff on Newgrounds, but the majority of the content there seems harmless, especially back in the 2000s when voice actors made their names there in the first place. And I have no idea who those "bigoted edgelords" are, but if you can only think of two examples of voice actors being somewhat hypocritical, the idea that all voice actors are two-faced bigots who deserve to die seems like a major stretch.
Newgrounds creators in general just come across as people with shitty views who never grew past their edgy teen phase. They also protected Shadman for years.

Also, if you don’t know who Psychicpebbles is, here’s a hint; he’s the creator of that recent Adult Swim show Smiling Friends, which Erica Lindbeck is in.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 pm Also, if you don’t know who Psychicpebbles is, here’s a hint; he’s the creator of that recent Adult Swim show Smiling Friends, which Erica Lindbeck is in.
Smiling Friends is a good show, though. Like, I don't see what's bigoted about it at all. That, plus the Newgrounds thing, makes it seem like you're just conflating "somewhat immature" with "bigoted". It's fine if you don't like immature humor, but that's no reason to slander the entire voice acting industry just because some of them are in immature shows.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:15 pm

ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:10 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 pm Also, if you don’t know who Psychicpebbles is, here’s a hint; he’s the creator of that recent Adult Swim show Smiling Friends, which Erica Lindbeck is in.
Smiling Friends is a good show, though. Like, I don't see what's bigoted about it at all. That, plus the Newgrounds thing, makes it seem like you're just conflating "somewhat immature" with "bigoted". It's fine if you don't like immature humor, but that's no reason to slander the entire voice acting industry just because some of them are in immature shows.
If you know anything about the creator of the show, you’d know that he’s buddies with Jontron, and that he shared some fairly bigoted views in the past, especially regarding Muslims. He and his friends also said all kinds of provocative things on their SleepyCabin podcast. Again, if people like Ms. Lindbeck want to work with someone like that, that’s their business. What irks me is how also they try to pass themselves off as these progressive and accepting people.

Anyway, that’s the last thing I’ll say on the matter, as we’ve gotten off-topic. I just felt like I needed to vent.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm
They’re hypocrites. They’re two-faced. A lot of them have ties to shit like Newgrounds, despite how they publicly try to pass themselves off as these nice and accepting people. I've seen actors like Kira Buckland and Erica Lindbeck (the voice of Cheelai) express support for BLM, despite working with bigoted edgelords like Hotdiggeydemon and Psychicpebbles. If you want to work with shitty people, fine, but don’t try to pass yourself off as a progressive person.
I mean I'm pretty sure Abridged work being a skull-and-crossbones on resumes has more to do with the very subject this thread is about. Rights holders in Japan disliking the very existence of Abridged parodies and dubbing companies not wanting to piss them off. Remember, it was Toei that nixed the TFS cameo in Kai
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:57 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 pm
I mean I'm pretty sure Abridged work being a skull-and-crossbones on resumes has more to do with the very subject this thread is about. Rights holders in Japan disliking the very existence of Abridged parodies and dubbing companies not wanting to piss them off. Remember, it was Toei that nixed the TFS cameo in Kai
I know. That’s why I mentioned that in the first place. Being involved in an abridged series is more of a liability than an asset, hence why it’s pretty much dead at this point. There have been some actors with minor roles in abridged parodies that managed to break into the industry, but the big players like Kaiserneko, Lanipator and LittleKuriboh, by their own admission, haven’t been so fortunate.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:41 pm

Christ, "voice actors deserve bad things by virtue of being voice actors, because some voice actors associate with people who've said bad things in the past, or were maybe involved in an old popular website"

Is that really a take I'm seeing on here? Seriously? What the fuck

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:57 pm

I know. That’s why I mentioned that in the first place. Being involved in an abridged series is more of a liability than an asset, hence why it’s pretty much dead at this point. There have been some actors with minor roles in abridged parodies that managed to break into the industry, but the big players like Kaiserneko, Lanipator and LittleKuriboh, by their own admission, haven’t been so fortunate.
But then what does them kowtowing to the whims of licensor have ANYTHING to do with moral hypocrisy? The whole discussion you arrived towards from that is a total nonsequitir
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:54 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:50 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:57 pm

But then what does them kowtowing to the whims of licensor have ANYTHING to do with moral hypocrisy? The whole discussion you arrived towards from that is a total nonsequitir
I recognize it was a non-sequitor. As I said, I felt the need to vent, because that was something that had been eating at me for a long time now. I guess my reason for bringing it up here was because I was already mentioning voice actors, so I thought I’d make it known how much I resent them.

Edit:
Christ, "voice actors deserve bad things by virtue of being voice actors, because some voice actors associate with people who've said bad things in the past, or were maybe involved in an old popular website"

As I said earlier, my main problem is the hypocrisy. Also, I think some of these people have done more than just said bad things.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:04 pm
I 100% regarded Abridged as a parody because a parody exaggerates aspects about the original work for comedic effect and it seems to me they do exactly that.
I'm not sure what is a "legal" definition of a term, I googled it but it's unclear lol. Is the legal definition different from this?:
"A parody takes a piece of creative work and imitates it in an exaggerated, comedic fashion, often serving as a criticism or commentary on the original work or the artist."
Regarding the criticism that's conveyed through a parody, maybe I'm wrong but I thought it referred to the pointing at something bad or ridiculous about the work itself or the writer’s style, (or even an acknowledgment of it’s merits), not that it needed to make a critical analysis of it.
It’s a parody that uses the anime’s actual footage. That’s the key thing. It’s not “two dudes dress up as Dragon Ball Z characters and make a parody video “ or “some guy makes original animation to parody Dragon Ball that’s clearly it’s own unique work” its just Dragon Ball Z with a dub that happened to truncate the runtime add in jokes and put in a bunch of music TeamFourStar clearly doesn’t have the rights to.

Put it this way, in the grand scheme of things how is that any different than what FUNimation did with Dragon Ball Z back when they produced the show for syndication? They cut scenes and re arranged scenes around to suit their purposes and dubbed over the footage and punched up the script with “jokes” and even used their own original music they had Saban produce for them! Which, again, is more than can be said for TFS who mostly used music from Shunsuke Kikuchi and Kenji Yamamoto’s library neither of which are public domain and they also have used other copyrighted songs like “Rock me like a hurricane” “The Touch” by Stan Bush etc etc. So even there late 90s Funimation would of had a leg up on them. But Funimation couldn’t just get “Gen’s Uncle at Toei “ (TM) to send them tapes so they could make a parody. They had to pay Toei for the series license and work through them.

And if that’s not a good example than see Saban’s Samurai Pizza Cats. ADV’s Ghost Stories dub. Etc

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:54 pm Edit:

As I said earlier, my main problem is the hypocrisy. Also, I think some of these people have done more than just said bad things.
...and you think this is *inherent* to voice acting? That anyone who gets a job recording voices is automatically a hypocrite if they claim to support a progressive cause? Why? Because there's a good chance one of their co-workers on a project, someone they might not even *interact* with, might've done something bad?

Geez, I can't imagine what you think of people who work for say, wal-mart.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:29 am

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 am
Can confirm they're all over-worked, stressed out and bisexual.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:53 am

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 am
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:54 pm Edit:

...and you think this is *inherent* to voice acting? That anyone who gets a job recording voices is automatically a hypocrite if they claim to support a progressive cause? Why? Because there's a good chance one of their co-workers on a project, someone they might not even *interact* with, might've done something bad?

The way I see it, the difference between voice acting and working at Walmart is that voice acting is a freelance job. All these supposedly progressive VAs can choose to work for whoever they want, and these racist Newgrounds artists are who they go with? Unless they’re just unaware of the views of these people, there’s no excuse.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:06 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:53 am The way I see it, the difference between voice acting and working at Walmart is that voice acting is a freelance job. All these supposedly progressive VAs can choose to work for whoever they want, and these racist Newgrounds artists are who they go with? Unless they’re just unaware of the views of these people, there’s no excuse.
1. Newgrounds's big heyday was over 15 years ago, people can change quite a lot in that amount of time. Just because someone got popular on that website making ignorant edgy jokes says nothing about who they are right now.

2. It's very possible they wouldn't know those views, because believe it or not not everybody keeps a working mental dirtsheet of everyone you think they should be weary of. Just because you've seen it, doesn't mean its common knowledge. A *lot* of people online seem to have this problem.

3. You seem to think every voice actor is just staring down a huge stack of easily nabbed up well paying gigs, and that they aren't having to weigh lots of potentially not great options so they can still keep their career going and pay their bills.

Your whole view is particularly abhorrent when you consider just how historically underpaid and generally poorly treated voice actors are. From having to fight to get paid for things like screams to having to fight for the right to even find out bare minimum details of the work they've been hired for, voice actors have it pretty rough. Many of these jobs are non-union as well, which means they get screwed over even more when it comes to benefits, etc.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 am

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:06 am
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:53 am The way I see it, the difference between voice acting and working at Walmart is that voice acting is a freelance job. All these supposedly progressive VAs can choose to work for whoever they want, and these racist Newgrounds artists are who they go with? Unless they’re just unaware of the views of these people, there’s no excuse.
1. Newgrounds's big heyday was over 15 years ago, people can change quite a lot in that amount of time. Just because someone got popular on that website making ignorant edgy jokes says nothing about who they are right now.

2. It's very possible they wouldn't know those views, because believe it or not not everybody keeps a working mental dirtsheet of everyone you think they should be weary of. Just because you've seen it, doesn't mean its common knowledge. A *lot* of people online seem to have this problem.

3. You seem to think every voice actor is just staring down a huge stack of easily nabbed up well paying gigs, and that they aren't having to weigh lots of potentially not great options so they can still keep their career going and pay their bills.

Your whole view is particularly abhorrent when you consider just how historically underpaid and generally poorly treated voice actors are. From having to fight to get paid for things like screams to having to fight for the right to even find out bare minimum details of the work they've been hired for, voice actors have it pretty rough. Many of these jobs are non-union as well, which means they get screwed over even more when it comes to benefits, etc.
As far as I’m aware, one of the only Newgrounds artists who has actually “changed,” has been Egoraptor/ Arin Hanson, and he’s become a pariah to the rest of the Newgrounds crowd.

As for Psychicpebbles, as I said earlier, he’s not only a good friend to JonTron (a literal white nationalist), but he himself expressed similar views to JonTron as recently as 2017. He also was an enabler/defender of Shadman, a guy who drew NSFW art of actual real life children, and he and his buddies at OneyPlays seem to be fans of Kiwi Farms, which is an alt-right harassment forum that’s dedicated to humiliating people they see as easy targets, especially autistic and trans people. He has never expressed any desire to change. I have no respect for anyone who chooses to work with someone like that.

I get that voice actors get paid peanuts, especially doing anime, but I have no sympathy for any of them.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 am
pixie_misa wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:06 am

As far as I’m aware, one of the only Newgrounds artists who has actually “changed,” has been Egoraptor/ Arin Hanson, and he’s become a pariah to the rest of the Newgrounds crowd.

As for Psychicpebbles, as I said earlier, he’s not only a good friend to JonTron (a literal white nationalist), but he himself expressed similar views to JonTron as recently as 2017. He also was an enabler/defender of Shadman, a guy who drew NSFW art of actual real life children, and he and his buddies at OneyPlays seem to be fans of Kiwi Farms, which is an alt-right harassment forum that’s dedicated to humiliating people they see as easy targets, especially autistic and trans people. He has never expressed any desire to change. I have no respect for anyone who chooses to work with someone like that.

I get that voice actors get paid peanuts, especially doing anime, but I have no sympathy for any of them.
Ok you realize that not every show has these people working on them, right? You're literally saying "fuck all voice actors" because a voice actor is on the cast list of a single show made by a person you don't like. Do you seriously not see why that's fucking ridiculous? Do you not see why you just look like a huge asshole right now?

Like, you realize that voice actors who have *nothing to do* with any of the shit you've laid out exist and work on things too right? What the fuck did they ever do to earn your scorn?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:43 am

Hierarchies are fake and made-up (a lot like this "respect your elders" bullshit). The idea that one's inherently better because of their trade in comparison to someone else's is bogus. Everyone deserves food, housing, healthcare and leisure and actors and, say, retail workers are no different from one another. We're all broke fucks trying to chase financial security. We need to have understanding and compassion for one another.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter