AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm

ikaos wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:19 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:02 pm
Inkei9001 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:48 pm Funimation didn't get anything except op 1 and Ed 4
They got the 2nd ed. The 4th ed was used for the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to reflect the characters were adults now.
i so crunchy roll and Sony would only have what they did
They can get different masters. They would have to because the digibetas they currently have can't be used for Blueray anyways.
The only having digibetas thing has been debunked since we know FUNi actually had film for DB at one point as that's the film that ended up in the hands of Kineko Films (which also proves that they did only receive OP1 and ED2 as those are what's attached to those film masters). Of course this would also mean the FUNi/CR no longer has the film for the entire series, so any release they do will likely just be an upscale of their current master.
Do you happen to know how many episodes Kineko got their hands on? Sorry if I'm over asking here, I realize it may be classified information for one reason or another.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:55 pm Well, France did get film of Dragon Ball a very, very long time ago. Their original video transfers of that film ended up forming the basis of Ocean's Calgary dub of DB, which looked just fine; we know they still had their film of the movies and specials a few years ago when they did that DVD set of some very nice 4:3 transfers of Z movies 7-11 and the Trunks special. It's entirely possible this ends up being a legitimate HD film transfer of DB. If so, then YAY!

But, nobody get your hopes up. It's fairly likely this is just another shitty upscale like the SelectaVision release.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:43 pm I know Funimation only has digibetas,
It's possible Funimation still has some portion of OG Dragon Ball on film. They definitely disposed of at least some of their prints, but we don't know if it was all of it. It is also possible (though not especially likely) that Funimation did a transfer of DB at the same time as they transferred Z for the Levels and Season Blu-rays as a "just in case" thing before disposing of the film.

The fact is, Funimation has never been transparent about this stuff (and in fairness they don't have much reason to be transparent given their release strategy over the past 20 years), so we don't know the facts.
I would probably bet on this being the case. I would probably bet on that Sony/CR does have ALL of the original film elements scanned in HD and saved untouched before Funimation's "remastering" debauchery for everything that Toei gave them. Although there is no evidence of this, we can only assume that if a company spends money to get something like a film, they would want to preserve it digitally just in case anything happens to the film.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Toei has done this themselves with the 3 Original Dragon Ball series, even if they are deciding just to sit on them and do nothing.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:31 am

jjbgood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 am But i dont think there will be an english dub... There never was at any release. We only get the german and the japanese dub. But well, you never know...
what if it does and its a long lost dub using the big green dub cast
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:58 pm

It looks like germany not getting the AB Video remasters. At least the first DB Box is announced for october, while the AB Video first box is announced for november. There would probably no possibility for germany to release them 2 months prior... also they are talking about a "visual edited master", not a HD remaster. I guess its like the GT movie, wich they released in the german Bluraybox as an upscale... what a bummer... but hey, at least its uncut for the first time.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:05 am Confirmed for November 23rd.
Was this officially announced?

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:44 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:05 am Confirmed for November 23rd.
AB rarely do that but the designer for the box art posted about it.:
https://twitter.com/Tony_Mr_P/status/15 ... lOf5lUDQCQ

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:25 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 am
When will we see what the blu ray footage looks like?

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:25 pm

Knowing AB when it's out.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:55 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 am

So November. :(

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:59 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:55 pm

99% sure it'll be an upscale.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:14 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:59 pm

I heard they had better masters so that’s not true?

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:33 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:14 pm
sangofe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:59 pm

I heard they had better masters so that’s not true?
They only had them while dubbing. They had to immediately send them back to Toei.

Here's the final cover arts for the two different versions. I don't know what the differences between the versions will be:
https://twitter.com/Tony_Mr_P/status/15 ... sAQ9lhJyIM

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:28 am

Now for a view of the discs and the inside of the version to the right:

https://twitter.com/Tony_Mr_P/status/15 ... 88/photo/1

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:00 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:28 am Now for a view of the discs and the inside of the version to the right:

https://twitter.com/Tony_Mr_P/status/15 ... 88/photo/1
I wish Crunchyroll would give us fans in English-speaking countries a box set like that. Funimation always treated original Dragon Ball like an afterthought and hasn't re-released it once the blue bricks in 2010. I don't even care about the remastering as a lot of the cinephiles here do, I just want to support anything outside the Z era again, because to this day that's the only portion of the franchise that gets any milking for us (yes Manga UK released the GT Complete Series in 2018, but that was just repackaging DVDs they already released).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:48 am

Any info on how it compares to other hd releases?

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:23 pm

So a few new details:

The first french Blu-ray Box will be released november 23rd. As stated by many sites like blu-ray.com they will use a HD-Upscale produced by Toei - not a remaster like with the movies.
The german release got delayed until january 12th and will probably use the same Toei HD-Upscales.

I'm still curious about the quality, because a HD-upscale will still look better than the crappy DVD releases in germany, but i would have preferred a real HD remaster.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:45 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 am Knowing AB when it's out.
I honestly don't get this "wait til it comes out to see the quality for yourselves" mindset companies like AB have, when you advertise a product people want to know and see in detail exactly what they're getting for their money so they can make an informed decision on whether to buy the product or not, this is literally advertising 101.

FUNi for all their DBZ BS at the very least with the 30th Anniversary set had enough decency to be more upfront about what the customer is getting, even if the quality of the product wasn't to our standards we knew that it wasn't before release so we could make an informed decision companies like AB on the other hand apparently can't grasp this concept.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:10 pm

Don't think AB were ever the type of company to give potential customers details sadly.

When they originally released Dragon Ball Z movies 2-4 in 2003 for the UK with Warner Vision fans assumed they would be getting the Pioneer dubs for 2-3 and an unreleased Ocean dub for movie 4 as that was the cast fans heard most on TV but it was only when they got the DVDs they knew it was the Big Green dub (which had no audience up to that point).

Honestly it reeks of cowardice to me, and yes Funimation could have expected the backlash based on their history but at least they were willing to endure it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:10 pm Don't think AB were ever the type of company to give potential customers details sadly.

When they originally released Dragon Ball Z movies 2-4 in 2003 for the UK with Warner Vision fans assumed they would be getting the Pioneer dubs for 2-3 and an unreleased Ocean dub for movie 4 as that was the cast fans heard most on TV but it was only when they got the DVDs they knew it was the Big Green dub (which had no audience up to that point).

Honestly it reeks of cowardice to me, and yes Funimation could have expected the backlash based on their history but at least they were willing to endure it.
On the other hand they never said how awesome their Dragon Ball Super collector editions were on beforehand. Nothing about their DB and dbz collector editons either.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:33 pm

It’s sad when a fan 4k scan cares more then the actual company that created the series. :(
Last edited by supersaiyamangod on Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.