AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by Pride9000!!! » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Man this looks really good hoping the rest looks. https://imgsli.com/MTM1NTE4 like this, it's interesting to compare this to d-box like its an upscale but it's done really well and the colours look much better than d-box (they did some white balancing). I would love to watch the show like this. it would be very unexpected for DB to end up with good release by some random French release.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:18 pm

I'm actually impressed! Its a little soft like kai but colors are good! Hopefully we'll see a release here (perhaps one reason why CR is re-releasing GT and DB)

fabrebatalla18

Post by fabrebatalla18 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:22 pm

Can someone compare it with the Spanish BD? I'm curious if they used the same upscale.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:27 pm

fabrebatalla18 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:22 pm Can someone compare it with the Spanish BD? I'm curious if they used the same upscale.
I did - https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/15 ... 3300958208

It's not the same. The Spanish one is awful.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:10 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:03 pm
Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:59 pm Is it me, or is it slightly vertically stretched? Or is it correct and the JP DVD is horizontally stretched?
The person who posted the DBOX shots there didn't capture them in their display aspect ratio, instead he used their storage resolution. They're the same when displayed correctly - https://imgsli.com/MTM1NTEw
Nice. All the better then.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:12 pm

This release has made the DBOX completely irrelevant. Wow.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:16 pm

Good gravy, those clouds (and the sky) look so much better than in the Dragon Box.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:38 pm

I kinda wish Z would get this treatment from literally anyone...

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Question is the higher quality broadcast audio on this not getting my hopes up but still.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:08 pm

Having the broadcast audio on an official release is slim to none. Like that's simply not going to happen, we can easily take this footage and sync the BA audio ourselves. The important thing is that the picture quality is good.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Are they only doing OG Dragon Ball or are they going to do Dragon Ball Z and GT as well? Cuz this looks pretty impressive imo

Roymustang16

Post by Roymustang16 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:34 pm

desu wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm Are they only doing OG Dragon Ball or are they going to do Dragon Ball Z and GT as well? Cuz this looks pretty impressive imo
Right now only OG Dragon Ball has been announced, and still no release date for the second box of DB.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:00 pm

Roymustang16 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:34 pm
desu wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm Are they only doing OG Dragon Ball or are they going to do Dragon Ball Z and GT as well? Cuz this looks pretty impressive imo
Right now only OG Dragon Ball has been announced, and still no release date for the second box of DB.
Well that's a shame, because I'm really considering buying it (coming from someone that doesn't buy this kind of stuff), I hope they don't pull a Level Sets and leave it incomplete.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Can remeber if it was said or not, but this they fix the NEP order?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:13 pm

Have to say this release looks very nice. Hopefully Crunchyroll can import it rather than repackaging the existing seasons into a new DVD set like they're doing with GT.
Pride9000!!! wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:08 pm Having the broadcast audio on an official release is slim to none. Like that's simply not going to happen, we can easily take this footage and sync the BA audio ourselves. The important thing is that the picture quality is good.
I heard someone has tried to hand the broadcast audio to AB. Hopefully they were successful, you never know.
Don't think there's any reason to doubt they'll do Z, and probably GT too since Dragon Ball has always been very popular in France.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:31 pm

There was wrong order with the NEPs? I'm only at the beginning (Goku leaving Bulma and the others after Pilaf has been defeated), but so far the NEPs correctly show the next episode. I'll mention if I see any discrepancies over time.

The package as well as the interactive menus themselves do mention "Box 1", so they do plan very much on releasing a "Box 2" to complete it.

And whether in book format or on disc packages, a Dragon Ball collection has never been discontinued in France to my knowledge: all official guides, manga releases and disc collections always went to the end of the collection as far as I know.

However, based on other divisions in boxes (like the DVD package for the movies back then), it can take 6 months or even a year before they release the rest. It could be because they need time to process it, but it's also sometimes because it's unlikely people would invest in all disc packages in a short period of time.
It's one of the reasons why the official guide books (the four new "re-compiled" Daizenshuu) are released at a pace of only one per year here, to give time for the translator to do her job properly but also seemingly because it was officially admitted that people usually can't afford to buy all volumes at the same time and that they see it as a better strategy to space out the big, expensive releases.

So it could be the same for this Blu-ray release, not only they might need time for the correction/mastering process, but it's also possible that they know people will be more likely to buy it all if it's one big investment at a time (75 euros for this package, so it would supposedly cost 150 euros for the whole series, which might be a bit much to release in a same period).
But I wouldn't be afraid of the possibility of an incomplete collection of this OG DB: it has never happened before with DB in France to my knowledge.

And for the audio, if it's any help to understand what it's like, the back of the package mentions that it's "Dual mono" for the Japanese track (as opposed to "Stereo" for the old French dub), so don't expect something revolutionary I guess!

Although nothing has been announced, logic would dictate that if those OG DB packages have enough success, they would keep it up and do a DBZ Blu-ray release next.
However, my guess is that they would simply use Toei masters if there is already a DBZ Blu-ray collection in Japan (they did their own remaster for DB because unless I missed something, there's currently no OG DB Blu-ray in Japan, so they couldn't take their masters and use them as-is like they did for Super and the recent Blu-ray package of movies).
Last edited by Cold Skin on Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:38 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:31 pm There was wrong order with the NEPs? I'm only at the beginning (Goku leaving Bulma and the others after Pilaf has been defeated), but so far the NEPs correctly show the next episode. I'll mention if I see any discrepancies over time.

The package as well as the interactive menus themselves do mention "Box 1", so they do plan very much on releasing a "Box 2" to complete it.

And whether in book format or on disc packages, a Dragon Ball collection has never been discontinued in France to my knowledge: all official guides, manga releases and disc collections always went to the end of the collection as far as I know.

However, based on other divisions in boxes (like the DVD package for the movies back then), it can take 6 months or even a year before they release the rest. It could be because they need time to process it, but it's also sometimes because it's unlikely people would invest in all disc packages in a short period of time.
It's one of the reasons why the official guide books (the four new "re-compiled" Daizenshuu) are released at a pace of only one per year here, to give time for the translator to do her job properly but also seemingly because it was officially admitted that people usually can't afford to buy all volumes at the same time and that they see it as a better strategy to space out the big, expensive releases.

So it could be the same for this Blu-ray release, not only they might need time for the correction/mastering process, but it's also possible that they know people will be more likely to buy it all if it's one big investment at a time (75 euros for this package, so it would supposedly cost 150 euros for the whole series, which might be a bit much to release in a same period).
But I wouldn't be afraid of the possibility of an incomplete collection of this OG DB: it has never happened before with DB in France to my knowledge.

And for the audio, if it's any help to understand what it's like, the back of the package mentions that it's "Dual mono" for the Japanese track (as opposed to "Stereo" for the old French dub), so don't expect something revolutionary I guess!
The NEP issue was just a placement issue

Original Broadcast: OP>Episode>NEP>Credits
Dragon Box: OP>Episode>Credits>NEP

Did the audio sound super crisp, or a bit muffled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUFRgH4AWQ

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:39 pm

There was wrong order with the NEPs?
Basically, when Dragon Ball/Z/GT originally aired weekly on Japanese TV from the mid '80s to late '90s the previews were placed before the end credits for all 508 episodes between the three series. When the Dragon Boxes came out for each of them almost two decades later, they were put after the ending apparently to be in convention with the switch at the time to newer anime doing it that same way. Apparently, the DB anime run wasn't the only example and Toei effectively mandated this switch (sometime in the late '90s or so) with most if not all their past anime series of all genres across the board regardless of age, so any home release including Dragon Ball is bound to have it like this. It was just a change that happened somewhere along the way.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:47 pm

What are the odds of funimation/crunchyroll receiving these transfers?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:49 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:47 pm What are the odds of funimation/crunchyroll receiving these transfers?
I'm not sure, but this unquestionably looks MUCH better than those meh looking transfers FUNimation received back in the late '90s/early 2000's.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)