AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:44 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:57 pm
superrayman3 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:22 pm
Vegard Aune wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:44 pm
Indeed. And I feel like, if they rejected Selecta Vision's upscales for DB, they would also be likely to reject CR's upscales for Z.
Is it a surefire thing that AB will go on to remaster Z later? Obviously not. Do I feel reasonably optimistic that they might? Yes.
I'm feeling optimistic myself, I feel if fans support and encourage AB to continue releasing the entire series (the rest of DB, Z, and GT) using the process they currently are enough, AB will be more inclined to do so and if they do they'll have a true winner on their hands, AB threw a MASSIVE curveball nobody was expecting by deciding not to use Selecta-Visions "remaster" so close to release and I hope it pays off for them in spades because they've earned it.
The other good thing too is that they'll have more time (and perhaps money) who knows how much better the upscale could be!
You talking about the Germany releases if so I hope your right.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:55 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:50 pm
Speaking of Disco Tek, I kind of feel like they should of just done a SD Bluray using uncompressed Dragon Box footage and the main seller being the Broadcast audio and color correction. While the upscale is impressive it still has the pitfalls of the Dragon Box (the ghosting is this there tho a little less obvious because some of those details didnt get thru the AI, and some details ended up getting slotched out duing the AI conversion.
Toei (or most companies) doesn't deliver the dragon box footage to AB or Selecta in dvds but rather in a digital master. The gosting issue of the dragon box is not something related to it being in dvd format, rather something that was made in early 2000s and more than likely, edited and stored in tape for some part of its life.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:28 pm

jaisonas wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:55 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:50 pm
Speaking of Disco Tek, I kind of feel like they should of just done a SD Bluray using uncompressed Dragon Box footage and the main seller being the Broadcast audio and color correction. While the upscale is impressive it still has the pitfalls of the Dragon Box (the ghosting is this there tho a little less obvious because some of those details didnt get thru the AI, and some details ended up getting slotched out duing the AI conversion.
Toei (or most companies) doesn't deliver the dragon box footage to AB or Selecta in dvds but rather in a digital master. The gosting issue of the dragon box is not something related to it being in dvd format, rather something that was made in early 2000s and more than likely, edited and stored in tape for some part of its life.
Oh yea, the ghosting was a result of the remastering process. Where I think they used DVDs and not the digital masters is mostly due to this shot where the AI picked up on the compression artifacts.

You can see similar kind of artifacts on the Japanese Rental DVD (I dont have the original DVDs)
Does anyone have any of the European sets? This is episode 20 so it would be interesting to compare

If it does infact come from a DVD source then AI upscaling like this is much more impressive!
Trachta10 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:36 am This has more details than Dragon Box and Selecta Vision

Dragon Box

AB Blu-ray

https://imgsli.com/MTM1ODI2/1/2

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:40 pm

With all the hope in this thread about a potential Z remaster, does AB even have the Dragon Box footage for Z to work with in the first place? Or would they have to ask Toei for that?
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:45 pm

Granted it has a lot of micro edits, but I wonder if we can get the later ocean dub on it, if they do Z

matburzy

Post by matburzy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:26 am

That release really looks phenomenal, wow! The color correction is really competent, I'm sure people responsible were avid fans.

As a IP lawyer, I'm really interested what legal standpoint would Toei have to eventually sue someone for using broadcast audios on release. And hear a reasoning, that the muffled terrible optical audio is so integral with artistic vision that it cannot be replaced :lol: :lol:

I don't quite buy into Funimation (now Crunchyroll) reasoning that the Toei does not let them use that audio. I mean, I don't think they control releases that much. For example look at some companys hideous covers on releases. Would they approve that?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:04 am

matburzy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:26 am That release really looks phenomenal, wow! The color correction is really competent, I'm sure people responsible were avid fans.

As a IP lawyer, I'm really interested what legal standpoint would Toei have to eventually sue someone for using broadcast audios on release. And hear a reasoning, that the muffled terrible optical audio is so integral with artistic vision that it cannot be replaced :lol: :lol:

I don't quite buy into Funimation (now Crunchyroll) reasoning that the Toei does not let them use that audio. I mean, I don't think they control releases that much. For example look at some companies hideous covers on releases. Would they approve that?
No, Toei dictates what they can, as the licensors, put on their home releases. FUNi can only put stuff on their releases of their products that they approve or provide for them. As for the covers, Toei provides them the assets usually for their releases. Unless FUNi gets shit commissioned for them that Toei approves, that's usually how it goes. Thus, Toei needs to approve what goes on their releases in regards to audio. Still doesn't make any sense why the people at Toei keep letting them put out shit remasters, but Toei also likes money, so...
Anyways, gotta remember, Toei pulled rank on FUNi & got Team Four Star removed from Kai after they found out about it & forced FUNi to greylist Lani, Taka, Masako, & Kaiser from working for them (which goes way too far with it, but I digress) for a while.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:04 am

I can't believe they put together the definitive home video release of the series in under 2 months. Hats off to AB Video and I hope this release does well, they deserve it! It's so unreal that the show looks (and sounds!) this good through an official offering.
I would be a bit disappointed in the unrealized potential here (no native HD footage, the "broadcast audio" could have been properly sourced and restored) but anything more than this would have been pretty ambitious for a 153-episode anime. Funimation (Crunchyroll?), PLEASE take notes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:12 am

CashmanX wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:40 pm With all the hope in this thread about a potential Z remaster, does AB even have the Dragon Box footage for Z to work with in the first place? Or would they have to ask Toei for that?
I think they asked Toei for the sources they used for this master, so I'm sure they'd have to ask them for DBZ.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 am

CashmanX wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:40 pm With all the hope in this thread about a potential Z remaster, does AB even have the Dragon Box footage for Z to work with in the first place? Or would they have to ask Toei for that?
They obviously do, since they used it for their DVD release ages ago.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 am

Puto wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 am
They obviously do, since they used it for their DVD release ages ago.
If I'm remembering correctly, someone with connections in AB said Toei sent them a new digital master for DB

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:42 pm

I'd sure like to see them try and actually use that as a reasoning for seeking a lawsuit against companies putting the broadcast audio on home releases. I mean seriously, trying to sue someone for using a higher quality audio source when the one that's been pushed on other licensees of the series for years upon years has been a low bitrate mono optical track extracted from the film masters themselves which sounds like garbage.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:46 pm

At this point, putting broadcast audio on a release by Toei would be admitting that they were terribly negligent with one of their most successful series.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:49 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:42 pm
I'd sure like to see them try and actually use that as a reasoning for seeking a lawsuit against companies putting the broadcast audio on home releases. I mean seriously, trying to sue someone for using a higher quality audio source when the one that's been pushed on other licensees of the series for years upon years has been a low bitrate mono optical track extracted from the film masters themselves which sounds like garbage.
That begs the questions, can licensee, legally, use sources outside of the rights holder. FUNimation had been caught using fansubs to jump start dubbing but they also didnt publish and sell it.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:57 pm

Honestly, i just hope no one gets in trouble, still think, that if there is better audio to be used, then you should, how many lost movies or footage were found thanks to "private collectors"? Is it legal issue? Or some silly pride?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:55 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:49 pm
That begs the questions, can licensee, legally, use sources outside of the rights holder. FUNimation had been caught using fansubs to jump start dubbing but they also didnt publish and sell it.
Didn't someone offer Toei copies with the broadcast audio at one point within the last two or three years and they didn't accept it? Unless i'm mistaken, because of course since they apparently don't have the cine master audio tapes with the original masters any longer they obviously can't use it themselves.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:10 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:55 pm

Didn't someone offer Toei copies with the broadcast audio at one point within the last two or three years and they didn't accept it? Unless i'm mistaken, because of course since they apparently don't have the cine master audio tapes with the original masters any longer they obviously can't use it themselves.
Yup! That was Kei, I think he made multiple attemps to try and get it on an official release.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:10 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:55 pm

Yup! That was Kei, I think he made multiple attemps to try and get it on an official release.
It still baffles me even now that they didn't accept, i guess the suits running Toei just don't care that much and even a fan taking the liberty of offering them excellent sounding Dragon Ball audio source doesn't mean anything to them because they have such backwards ass policies and procedures in that regard. Like, does nobody there even think that the optical mono track sounds like muffled ass?

Venny

Post by Venny » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:54 pm

I have received my Blu-Ray from FNAC. Got it very quickly despite being imported from France to the US and I am very pleased with the release. Here is a tweet I made showcasing screenshots from discs across the set: https://twitter.com/VennyRestore/status ... jpTfpP8Wzw

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:41 pm

Venny wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:54 pm I have received my Blu-Ray from FNAC. Got it very quickly despite being imported from France to the US and I am very pleased with the release. Here is a tweet I made showcasing screenshots from discs across the set: https://twitter.com/VennyRestore/status ... jpTfpP8Wzw
Is it region free?