AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:50 pm

Huh, thats pretty impressive. I checked another Anime using it (and a lesser source) and it is impressive

If anyone has that program, I'd be interesting to see what they can do with Dragon Box screen shots for comparison

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:53 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:50 pm
Huh, thats pretty impressive. I checked another Anime using it (and a lesser source) and it is impressive

If anyone has that program, I'd be interesting to see what they can do with this screen shot
That actually looks like a better upscale job than Dragon Ball.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm

Just for clarity, AstroRes is a company and not a program. They have their own proprietary method of tackling things. I also entirely disagree about that A-Ko upscale being better than DB's. It looks like a bigger upgrade at a glance as the source is worse, but the actual final results are far more watery and unnatural compare to Dragon Ball that borders on native looking.

I'll be making a video reviewing this release in full detail, but from chatting to an AB Groupe contact, I can tell you this was done in under 2 months as it was last minute decision not to use Selecta Vision's upscale.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm Just for clarity, AstroRes is a company and not a program. They have their own proprietary method of tackling things. I also entirely disagree about that A-Ko upscale being better than DB's. It looks like a bigger upgrade at a glance as the source is worse, but the actual final results are far more watery and unnatural compare to Dragon Ball that borders on native looking.

I'll be making a video reviewing this release in full detail, but from chatting to an AB Groupe contact, I can tell you this was done in under 2 months as it was last minute decision not to use Selecta Vision's upscale.
Very interesting and also very impressive. I'm kind of iffy on AI upscales because, at that point is it really the original hand drawn art? (tho I would like to see a Kai edit using AI and not the poorly redrawn scenes). But this is impressive and I'll defintly check it out.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:48 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm this was done in under 2 months as it was last minute decision not to use Selecta Vision's upscale.
Wow. This really makes the utter horribleness of the English releases nakedly inexcusable, doesn't it. If this company can get this level of quality in that amount of time without even as good a source as Funi has, I don't ever want to see any blaming time or resource problems for their dvds and bds to look as bad as they do. It's out-of-touch executives sticking their hands in the soup thinking they can play at being chefs, the whole way down.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:53 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:48 pm
Ajay wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm this was done in under 2 months as it was last minute decision not to use Selecta Vision's upscale.
Wow. This really makes the utter horribleness of the English releases nakedly inexcusable, doesn't it. If this company can get this level of quality in that amount of time without even as good a source as Funi has, I don't ever want to see any blaming time or resource problems for their dvds and bds to look as bad as they do. It's out-of-touch executives sticking their hands in the soup thinking they can play at being chefs, the whole way down.
I feel like most people feel FUNi had solid source and took the time to make it look worse. But still, this is the best Dragon Ball has looked (atleast in the screen shots) and makes me wonder what GT will look like.

I would like to see what kind of work was done on it. If any DNR was done or how the fake grain looks with the more splotchy standard res grain.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:16 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm Just for clarity, AstroRes is a company and not a program. They have their own proprietary method of tackling things. I also entirely disagree about that A-Ko upscale being better than DB's. It looks like a bigger upgrade at a glance as the source is worse, but the actual final results are far more watery and unnatural compare to Dragon Ball that borders on native looking.

Did they color correct in that short time?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:12 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:16 pm Did they color correct in that short time?
They did, yeah. This probably accounts for the odd shot that isn't perfect and the omission of NEP corrections. Little shortcuts in an otherwise very solid remaster.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm I'll be making a video reviewing this release in full detail, but from chatting to an AB Groupe contact, I can tell you this was done in under 2 months as it was last minute decision not to use Selecta Vision's upscale.
Bruh only 2 Months??? simply ridiculous. And a last minute change to not use Selecta Visions upscale. What could have been another DB BD that would be quickly dismissed, turned out to be one of the best ones to come out.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:43 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:53 pm I feel like most people feel FUNi had solid source and took the time to make it look worse. But still, this is the best Dragon Ball has looked (atleast in the screen shots) and makes me wonder what GT will look like.

I would like to see what kind of work was done on it. If any DNR was done or how the fake grain looks with the more splotchy standard res grain.
That's exactly it. FUNi have good masters, it's just that they fuck it up trying to make it look "modern," as in "digitally animated," which is stupid. Making a show from the late 80s & early 90s that was drawn & animated by hand look digital is fucking stupid.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:11 am

Ajay wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm
Looking forward to it. I hope this means that set 2 will be even better, and the hopefully upcoming dbz and dbgt.

Since you've been with an AB groupe contact, maybe you could advice them on how to have more of the picture on the sides? I noticed its got less picture than the other versions and that's a shame.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:13 pm

So I'm hearing from someone who received his copy that this Blu-Ray set contains the broadcast audio, making it the definitive release of the original series for French fans at least. Hopefully other distributors will follow suit.

AB Groupe done good, only having two months to do this. If they can do it like this no reason any other company shouldn't.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:13 pm So I'm hearing from someone who received his copy that this Blu-Ray set contains the broadcast audio, making it the definitive release of the original series for French fans at least. Hopefully other distributors will follow suit.

AB Groupe done good, only having two months to do this. If they can do it like this no reason any other company shouldn't.
Now if funimation/crunchyroll could get this set and hope beyond hope add updated subs then it would be the definitive set.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:28 pm

If this release truly has the broadcast audio that makes me pretty gay.

I wonder if they somehow just...ignored Toei Animation or simply managed to convince them to release it the audio? lulz
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:28 pm If this release truly has the broadcast audio that makes me pretty gay.

I wonder if they somehow just...ignored Toei Animation or simply managed to convince them to release it the audio? lulz
Makes me hopefully for other shows we know broadcast audio exist hokuto no ken anyone. :)

fabrebatalla18

Post by fabrebatalla18 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 pm

https://twitter.com/Amicus_19/status/15 ... 6175571968

If true (I see no reason to manipulate the video/audio), perhaps "the best release in the world" is this:

- Color correction.
- Rescaled by AI with a good result (not ideal but I'm surprised by the result).
- Japanese audio of the recordings of the original broadcast.

And yeah, "the best release in the world" its a meme because Selecta Visión said all time the Spanish BD its "the best release in the world" xDD

Venny

Post by Venny » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:29 pm

I checked the raw .m2ts myself and yes there is broadcast audio. This is the best release of the original Dragon Ball we've ever had. All the problems with the Dragon Box; frozen and fuzzy grain, chromatic aberration, ghosting in the dark areas, and horrid inconsistent colors are now fixed. This is the most surreal thing I've ever seen and every problem has been addressed and fixed accordingly. Please buy or import this release if you can and show support to AB Video for all the hard work.

Example of the Blu-Ray here:
https://twitter.com/VennyRestore/status ... vrZ1XnCDzg

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:00 pm

What a weird situation. Never thought we'd get such a good physical release, even having BA. Especially considering it's not TOEI or Funi. Gonna?have to double dip and get this.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Venny wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:29 pm I checked the raw .m2ts myself and yes there is broadcast audio. This is the best release of the original Dragon Ball we've ever had. All the problems with the Dragon Box; frozen and fuzzy grain, chromatic aberration, ghosting in the dark areas, and horrid inconsistent colors are now fixed. This is the most surreal thing I've ever seen and every problem has been addressed and fixed accordingly. Please buy or import this release if you can and show support to AB Video for all the hard work.

Example of the Blu-Ray here:
https://twitter.com/VennyRestore/status ... vrZ1XnCDzg
What’s even more surreal everyone was saying both were impossible I’m so happy they were wrong.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:42 pm

I'm just blown away...we FINALLY see an official Dragon Ball series home release that actually uses THE original high quality broadcast audio over the muffled low bitrate mono optical tracks that has been the default source of the Japanese tracks on most countries' releases for many many years.

This is simply amazing, just amazing. Something that looked to remain all but a pipe dream. I legit thought the day would NEVER come yet somehow it has. Kudos to this team for going the extra mile and elevating a release above the low standard of quality that most releases are subject to.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)