AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:15 am

Inkei9001 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:07 pm I'll be shocked if this is anything but a variant of the dbox. People need to let go of the endless hopium and accept that no company cares since they know consoomer will but anything dragon ball. Especially with what super shit showed them
Not only that but if what I was told is true AB don't have the films. They had to send them back after dubbing if what was told to me is right. This will likely be the same source as Selecta Vision.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 pm

Crunchyroll will release OG Dragon Ball on Bluray in germany. For the first time uncut (with subtitles in the cut sequences). most probably using the AB Video Mastertapes...

https://www.crunchyroll.com/de/anime-ne ... nd-blu-ray
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:46 pm

jjbgood wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 pm Crunchyroll will release OG Dragon Ball on Bluray in germany. For the first time uncut (with subtitles in the cut sequences). most probably using the AB Video Mastertapes...

Nice to see more countries giving OG Dragon Ball some love. Come to think of it since Crunchyroll is now the license holder in North America, UK and Ireland this could mean we will get an English-friendly release soon.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:11 pm

jjbgood wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 pm Crunchyroll will release OG Dragon Ball on Bluray in germany. For the first time uncut (with subtitles in the cut sequences). most probably using the AB Video Mastertapes...

US Dragon Ball Bluray release when?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:13 pm

I really hope this means Crunchyroll will finally release Dragon Ball (and maybe GT) on Blu-ray. It's been more than a decade now since Funimation released them on DVD. Meanwhile, Z gets multiple re-releases (most of which aren't worth it). And I understand Z is the most popular of the original anime trilogy, but come on, it's about time OG Dragon Ball (the one that started it all) gets put on new non-brick style BD release.

Also, I hope they update the opening/ending songs to reflect the arc changes like Japan did. If they do this, of course.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:25 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:13 pm.

Also, I hope they update the opening/ending songs to reflect the arc changes like Japan did. If they do this, of course.
It would really depend on the material Toei provides them with (if it happens at all of course) it seems like Funimation requested textless materials and that's what Toei gave them but only had textless versions of the 1st OP and 2nd ED (though a textless versions of the 2nd OP must have existed at some point since that's what Harmony Gold got in 1989) . Maybe Funimation/Crunchyroll will realize its not the end of the world if a Japanese anime has Japanese text appearing in the opening and endings and the title cards.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 am

What will the date be?

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:02 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 am

What will the date be?
The was no date announced yet. It was only made public yesterday at a anime convention, without further details, and this news article afterwards. It will be on bluray, first time uncut (with subtitles in the cut scenes), no new dub (of course) and coming soon. But no further details.
Another news website (not related to crunchyroll oder Kazé) claims it will not be new HD remaster but only HD upscales... but i cant find any official source of this, so maybe they just upscale the SD tapes? That would be a bummer... well the "uncut" thing will be a selling point, but if they dont use a remaster, like AB Video in france, it could really be a bummer...
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

johnny1132

Post by johnny1132 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 am

The "episodes 1-28" could mean this release is already dead in the water. It may be somewhat far-fetched, but Selecta Vision has the same episode setup on its first release of DB. I would wait for screencaps or further details regarding the video.

Link : https://shop.selecta-vision.com/dragon- ... -28-bluray

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:23 am

johnny1132 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 am

The "episodes 1-28" could mean this release is already dead in the water. It may be somewhat far-fetched, but Selecta Vision has the same episode setup on its first release of DB.
It is far-fetched.

The first 28 episodes covers the first two arcs. It makes way more sense to do that for the first volume than what Funimation did

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:48 am

I wonder if it'll have the English dub. Wouldn't be the first time Germany got that. Especially since it's Sony doing this.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:48 am

Doesn't Crunchyroll announce new home releases on the 15th or so every month? Maybe they'll announce a US release in a week. OG Dragon Ball on Blu-ray definitely fits a cozy, warm, fall/holiday-timing release in November (if I remember correctly, the first Blue Brick released November 2009). I can already imagine hearing "I'll Give You Romance" as the sun starts to set earlier in the day along with cooler weather.

But once again, it's about time Dragon Ball gets a BD release, especially when shows like OG 4Kids Shaman King and Sonic X are getting standard definition BD releases. And I don't particular care for any of the now incredibly dated 13-14 year old Season Sets for DB or GT. So, it would be nice to update my collection.

And if anything, NOW's our best chance for DB and GT blu-rays because Crunchyroll doesn't have a new series to release like Super. That's probably why they're releasing the Super steelbook set next month. And on that note, can we get the OVAs dubbed and released??? A guy can dream....

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:37 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:48 am Doesn't Crunchyroll announce new home releases on the 15th or so every month? Maybe they'll announce a US release in a week. OG Dragon Ball on Blu-ray definitely fits a cozy, warm, fall/holiday-timing release in November (if I remember correctly, the first Blue Brick released November 2009). I can already imagine hearing "I'll Give You Romance" as the sun starts to set earlier in the day along with cooler weather.
September but close enough.
But once again, it's about time Dragon Ball gets a BD release, especially when shows like OG 4Kids Shaman King and Sonic X are getting standard definition BD releases.
Sonic X I understand because that cartoon seemed pretty popular, but Shaman King? Really? People remember that show even existed?
And I don't particular care for any of the now incredibly dated 13-14 year old Season Sets for DB or GT. So, it would be nice to update my collection.

And if anything, NOW's our best chance for DB and GT blu-rays because Crunchyroll doesn't have a new series to release like Super.
My biggest worry is the Blu Ray release will just be an upscale of the Blue Bricks with the same issues as that. If it doesn't have both OP and all 4 EDs I don't want it.
. And on that note, can we get the OVAs dubbed and released??? A guy can dream....
To my understanding there was some sort of weird licensing hang up with the Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return. Something to do with Shonen Jump owning the rights and not Shueisha and Toei? Idk. Not sure if there's any hang ups with Episode of Bardock and The Plan to Eradicate All Saiyans though.

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:48 pm

Funimation didn't get anything except op 1 and Ed 4 from toei so crunchy roll and Sony would only have what they did

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:02 pm

Inkei9001 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:48 pm Funimation didn't get anything except op 1 and Ed 4
They got the 2nd ed. The 4th ed was used for the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to reflect the characters were adults now.
i so crunchy roll and Sony would only have what they did
They can get different masters. They would have to because the digibetas they currently have can't be used for Blueray anyways.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:02 pm
Inkei9001 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:48 pm Funimation didn't get anything except op 1 and Ed 4
They got the 2nd ed. The 4th ed was used for the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to reflect the characters were adults now.
They can get different masters. They would have to because the digibetas they currently have can't be used for Blueray anyways.
It's really odd seeing that opening with the characters still having their Pllaf arc designs on the later eps especially the 23rd Budokai, and considering ED 4's animation was specifically to show the latter it makes FUNI's masters only having OP 1/ED 2 with those character designs look even more outdated.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:19 pm

The only having digibetas thing has been debunked since we know FUNi actually had film for DB at one point as that's the film that ended up in the hands of Kineko Films (which also proves that they did only receive OP1 and ED2 as those are what's attached to those film masters). Of course this would also mean the FUNi/CR no longer has the film for the entire series, so any release they do will likely just be an upscale of their current master.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:20 pm

ikaos wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:19 pm
The only having digibetas thing has been debunked since we know FUNi actually had film for DB at one point as that's the film that ended up in the hands of Kineko Films (which also proves that they did only receive OP1 and ED2 as those are what's attached to those film masters)
My mistake. Thanks for the correction

Of course this would also mean the FUNi/CR no longer has the film for the entire series, so any release they do will likely just be an upscale of their current master.
Is there anything stopping them from importing the Dragon Boxes and upscaling those (not wanting to spend the money aside)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:22 pm

ikaos wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:19 pm
The only having digibetas thing has been debunked since we know FUNi actually had film for DB at one point as that's the film that ended up in the hands of Kineko Films (which also proves that they did only receive OP1 and ED2 as those are what's attached to those film masters). Of course this would also mean the FUNi/CR no longer has the film for the entire series, so any release they do will likely just be an upscale of their current master.
I assume that's because it was the only creditless film copies that Toei had on hand to give them, and they didn't have creditless versions of the eps with OP 2 or ED's 1, 3, or 4 available.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 am

johnny1132 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 am

The "episodes 1-28" could mean this release is already dead in the water. It may be somewhat far-fetched, but Selecta Vision has the same episode setup on its first release of DB. I would wait for screencaps or further details regarding the video.

Link : https://shop.selecta-vision.com/dragon- ... -28-bluray
Its still a preliminary cover. Things could change. They just reused the (very) old DVD Cover and put a bluray sign on it. Could be less or more episodes than that. i dont think its an implication.

But i dont think there will be an english dub... There never was at any release. We only get the german and the japanese dub. But well, you never know...
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.