Is censorship still needed to keep Dragon Ball Relevant to younger people?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is censorship still needed to keep Dragon Ball Relevant to younger people?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:26 am

I am pro Club Dorothee and I will die and rot on this hill.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:22 pm By relevant, does the OP mean popular? I don't think DB will ever have an issue with remaining popular.
Good question. Ofc naruto, Op, bleach fans would say otherwise😅😂

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:14 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:11 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:20 pm

The funniest thing about the French dubs of DB/DBZ is that they were aired on a kid's block (Le Club Dorothee) so the infamous censorship along with the overly cheery sounding openings was an attempt to make the series' more palatable to kids. Of course, another thing is that the heavily censored footage plus AB Groupe's/S.O.F.I's poorly translated scripts were adapted in most of if not all of the other dubs in Europe used the French version as the source more or less.
Most European dubs were, yes, but not all. The one notable European dub with several redeeming qualities was the German dub. Not only was the company displeased with the French opening and took the initiative to ask AB Groupe for alternatives (which led to an amazing cover of Chala-Head-Chala) but they used their local translation of the manga to fix errors, where possible in the scripts they were given, replacing terms like "Space Warrior" and "Super Warrior" with the more accurate "Saiya-jins" and "Super Saiya-jins" respectively. Lines like "By the power of Kaio, transformation!" was also changed to "I AM THE LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYA-JIN!" during Goku and Freeza's fight.

Suffice to say the German dub wasn't perfect by a long shot, but things like this make it an admirable and valiant attempt at improving upon the (admittedly low) European standard of Dragon Ball dubs.
That dub was an exception among them for sure, true not the best ever though still i'd take it over the French dubs any day if i was European as it was an effort to take what was so bad and infamous about the latter and make something better. They went the extra mile to improve the scripts where possible so that's a plus, it definitely ranks higher than the others with those things in mind.

On another note, apparently the Big Green dubs' scripts were more or less machine translated from the French scripts (even using terms from it like Space/Super Warriors, Crystal Dragon Balls, Magic Stick/Baton.etc) which aside from the rushed nonexistent direction and laughably poor acting is another reason why those dubs of the movies turned out as infamously awful as they did.
I watched the German dub as well and can confirm it's pretty good. Almost on par with the English one. The humor is neat and the intros are in some cases better than the original.

Also, Big Green is golden comedy. Please. https://youtu.be/tum1P5jm_so

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:54 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:26 am I am pro Club Dorothee and I will die and rot on this hill.
Yeah, honestly while the Club Dorothée airings were infamous for the numerous edits the block arguably brought Dragon Ball and anime to the mainstream in France. A 55% and 60-86% audience share of the 4-14 year old and entire demographic respectively were impressive numbers, and unprecedented for French TV at the time. Even though the French dub could have been better I am grateful for it making the series such a phenomenon in that country.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:14 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:11 pm

Most European dubs were, yes, but not all. The one notable European dub with several redeeming qualities was the German dub. Not only was the company displeased with the French opening and took the initiative to ask AB Groupe for alternatives (which led to an amazing cover of Chala-Head-Chala) but they used their local translation of the manga to fix errors, where possible in the scripts they were given, replacing terms like "Space Warrior" and "Super Warrior" with the more accurate "Saiya-jins" and "Super Saiya-jins" respectively. Lines like "By the power of Kaio, transformation!" was also changed to "I AM THE LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYA-JIN!" during Goku and Freeza's fight.

Suffice to say the German dub wasn't perfect by a long shot, but things like this make it an admirable and valiant attempt at improving upon the (admittedly low) European standard of Dragon Ball dubs.
That dub was an exception among them for sure, true not the best ever though still i'd take it over the French dubs any day if i was European as it was an effort to take what was so bad and infamous about the latter and make something better. They went the extra mile to improve the scripts where possible so that's a plus, it definitely ranks higher than the others with those things in mind.

On another note, apparently the Big Green dubs' scripts were more or less machine translated from the French scripts (even using terms from it like Space/Super Warriors, Crystal Dragon Balls, Magic Stick/Baton.etc) which aside from the rushed nonexistent direction and laughably poor acting is another reason why those dubs of the movies turned out as infamously awful as they did.
I watched the German dub as well and can confirm it's pretty good. Almost on par with the English one. The humor is neat and the intros are in some cases better than the original.

Also, Big Green is golden comedy. Please. https://youtu.be/tum1P5jm_so
No argument there, the Big Green dubs are meme worthy. Just a chaotic mass of pure insane hilarity from start to finish. XD
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:22 pm By relevant, does the OP mean popular? I don't think DB will ever have an issue with remaining popular.
I think he means being talked about and a subject of discussion in contemporary times. Even though he Dragon Ball anime franchise currently isn't airing (outside Heroes), it's name is still in people's mouths.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 pm
I think he means being talked about and a subject of discussion in contemporary times. Even though he Dragon Ball anime franchise currently isn't airing (outside Heroes), it's name is still in people's mouths.
It is airing. OP is from latin america

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:06 pm

Following on from what i was mentioning before about most (though certainly not all) of Europe's dubs using/adapting the poor quality translations of S.O.F.I's scripts and AB Groupe's censored masters from the French dub, apparently the reason why the Portuguese (European, not Brazilian) DBZ dub was written to be a gag dub with so many ad libbed jokes and pop culture references is due in part to the terrible translations of the aforementioned scripts. So the writers in effect couldn't just do a straight adaptation of the show with those materials, and thus why it was so heavily rewritten into something of an Abridged-esque parody dub.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 pm

dva_raza wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 pm
It is airing. OP is from latin america
The whole franchise also airs reruns in Japan.

Maybe airing isn't the right word but Heroes is the only one currently running.

At any rate, Dragon Ball doesn't need an anime constantly airing to stay relevant. It's influence on the industry and probably even the media in general is too strong.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 pm

At any rate, Dragon Ball doesn't need an anime constantly airing to stay relevant. It's influence on the industry and probably even the media in general is too strong.

Outside of the shonen demographic what influence has Dragon Ball really had? Especially on media in general? It’s biggest influence is a slew of Goku clones appearing in manga/anime aimed at young boys. Outside of that? Pretty much nothing beyond odd Dragon Ball Z pop culture reference here and there.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Outside of the shonen demographic what influence has Dragon Ball really had? Especially on media in general? It’s biggest influence is a slew of Goku clones appearing in manga/anime aimed at young boys. Outside of that? Pretty much nothing beyond odd Dragon Ball Z pop culture reference here and there.
Off the top of my head:
  • The character Andrew Weller in Buffy the Vampire Slayer who compares his life to Vegeta because he had a redemption
  • Ando in the show Heroes fires red lightning in a similar pose to that of the Kamehame Ha, Ryan and Ken did something similar in the Street Fighter games
  • Frank Ocean's song "Pink Matter" References Majin Boo
  • Snoop Dogg's "Gogeta is a g" comment
  • From the Shadow's 'Not Forgotten' album, which is all about Android 17
  • the "Anime Brothers" part of the Disney comedy series So Random! where Scott resembles Goku
  • Fight between Superman and Zod in Man of Steel, which has similar fight scenes
  • Barry's loss of memory in an episode of The Flash where Iris says in school he was in an anime club, and was a huge fan of Dragon Ball
  • B.O.B mentioning Super Saiyan in the song Autotune
  • References in Soulja Boy songs
  • Car fight sequence in The Matrix Reloaded, which shares many similarities with the one between Vegeta and Android 18
  • Maximum the Hormone song "F"
  • Dragon Haul Z mission in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  • Countless "Over 9,000" memes, including the "Over 9,001" in the Liars and Cheats pack of Red Dead Redemption
  • Goku at Macy's Day Parade
Not to mention the numerous times it's inspired Sonic.

Probably countless more.....
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 pm

Basic homages aside, I don't feel like Dragon Ball has influenced future works too much aside from maybe the increased number of battle series that rely on energy attacks and transformations. Even then, whose to say that those influences are drawn from Dragon Ball.

Also, the fights in Man of Steel are copied from Tetsuwan Birdy Decode.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:29 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:18 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Off the top of my head:
  • The character Andrew Weller in Buffy the Vampire Slayer who compares his life to Vegeta because he had a redemption
  • Ando in the show Heroes fires red lightning in a similar pose to that of the Kamehame Ha, Ryan and Ken did something similar in the Street Fighter games
  • Frank Ocean's song "Pink Matter" References Majin Boo
  • Snoop Dogg's "Gogeta is a g" comment
  • From the Shadow's 'Not Forgotten' album, which is all about Android 17
  • the "Anime Brothers" part of the Disney comedy series So Random! where Scott resembles Goku
  • Fight between Superman and Zod in Man of Steel, which has similar fight scenes
  • Barry's loss of memory in an episode of The Flash where Iris says in school he was in an anime club, and was a huge fan of Dragon Ball
  • B.O.B mentioning Super Saiyan in the song Autotune
  • References in Soulja Boy songs
  • Car fight sequence in The Matrix Reloaded, which shares many similarities with the one between Vegeta and Android 18
  • Maximum the Hormone song "F"
  • Dragon Haul Z mission in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  • Countless "Over 9,000" memes, including the "Over 9,001" in the Liars and Cheats pack of Red Dead Redemption
  • Goku at Macy's Day Parade
Not to mention the numerous times it's inspired Sonic.

Probably countless more.....
Pretty much all of those are just pop culture references. Which I literally acknowledged in my post.

None of that says anything about Dragon Ball’s actual influence on media. Just “HEY IT’S A SOMEWHAT POPULAR THING THAT EXIST THAT GETS NAME DROPPED”

Influential would be like

After Scream came out a lot of slashers that followed were teen focused with a lot of snark

After Twilight was successful a lot of movies with the non-human love interest followed

Film studios trying to make their own cinematic universes after the success of the MCU

Satirical profane adult cartoons after South Park

Or Lord of the Rings influence on the fantasy genre
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:33 pm

'Infleunce' being 'changed the way something operates', right? Like, the one-upmanship of JoJo feels particularly built into the core of Yuugi-Ou! & Bleach, for example.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 pm Basic homages aside, I don't feel like Dragon Ball has influenced future works too much aside from maybe the increased number of battle series that rely on energy attacks and transformations. Even then, whose to say that those influences are drawn from Dragon Ball.

I've seen the footage and yes that was definitely an influence, but the storyboard artist has explicitly stated that DB was an influence. Either way, neither are the greatest examples to influence Superman!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:51 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 pm Basic homages aside, I don't feel like Dragon Ball has influenced future works too much aside from maybe the increased number of battle series that rely on energy attacks and transformations. Even then, whose to say that those influences are drawn from Dragon Ball.

I've seen the footage and yes that was definitely an influence, but the storyboard artist has explicitly stated that DB was an influence. Either way, neither are the greatest examples to influence Superman!
To be fair neither has the Jesus Christ crap that’s been a thing since the Donner films but especially around Smallville and Superman Returns

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:01 pm

Street Fighter and Tekken were said to be influenced by Dragon Ball... or at least it's concept of ki.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:51 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm

To be fair neither has the Jesus Christ crap that’s been a thing since the Donner films but especially around Smallville and Superman Returns
Superman & Lois has really nailed their take on Superman. He's honestly the best adaption of the character. Every scene is just so good, especially when he's being a himbo dad and husband.

God, the Snyder films are just so bad. Lol
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:52 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:01 pm Street Fighter and Tekken were said to be influenced by Dragon Ball... or at least it's concept of ki.
Dragon Ball’s concept of ki isn’t unique though

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:52 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:01 pm Street Fighter and Tekken were said to be influenced by Dragon Ball... or at least it's concept of ki.
Dragon Ball’s concept of ki isn’t unique though
And thats the beauty of it. Toriyama doesnt treat or explore abt chi/ki for 5-10 chapters explainin various aspects/form ala Nen in HXH or Justsu in narto.

Certain things are best left left as it is to its viewers/reader's assumption & interpretation. Its interesting that way. Just sayin☺️✨