Is censorship still needed to keep Dragon Ball Relevant to younger people?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is censorship still needed to keep Dragon Ball Relevant to younger people?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:10 am

Are you Really Japanese? You use english in a way that's way too slangy for a Japanese person.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:10 am Are you Really Japanese? You use english in a way that's way too slangy for a Japanese person.
Yo😅ur hilarious. When did I say I'm Japanese?😂I'm Malaysian/Singaporean medico

I watch Dragonball (DBZ & DB) in Japanese version well over a decade (12 years to be exact). Hence, I became a fan of its Japanese version. Nt just DBZ, anime in general. Thank you that at least now I'm able to clarify unnecessary misunderstandings☺️✨

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:39 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:59 pm

At any rate, Dragon Ball doesn't need an anime constantly airing to stay relevant. It's influence on the industry and probably even the media in general is too strong.

Outside of the shonen demographic what influence has Dragon Ball really had? Especially on media in general? It’s biggest influence is a slew of Goku clones appearing in manga/anime aimed at young boys. Outside of that? Pretty much nothing beyond odd Dragon Ball Z pop culture reference here and there.
Dragon Ball's themes and plot elements influenced many manga-ka including Masashi Kishimoto, Eiichiro Oda, Tite Kubo, Kazuki Takahashi, and Hiro Mashima.

Man of Steel is also influenced by Dragon Ball.

Arms' art style is influenced by Dragon Ball.

Let's not forget it's role in popularizing anime in the west.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:19 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:39 am

Dragon Ball's themes and plot elements influenced many manga-ka including Masashi Kishimoto, Eiichiro Oda, Tite Kubo, Kazuki Takahashi, and Hiro Mashima.
Right. So I never denied its fluence on Shonen manga. But that’s not an influence on manga as a whole much less all of media in general.

Let's not forget it's role in popularizing anime in the west.
That’s not even a little bit true though. Introduced late 80s and early 90s babies to anime sure. But so did Pokemon and Sailor Moon and what not. Anime was getting popular with or without Dragon Ball.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:19 pm Right. So I never denied its fluence on Shonen manga. But that’s not an influence on manga as a whole much less all of media in general.
Shonen manga is its demographic so naturally its influence there stands out far more but the fact it's being referenced constantly by other forms of media shows it left a mark regardless.
That’s not even a little bit true though. Introduced late 80s and early 90s babies to anime sure. But so did Pokemon and Sailor Moon and what not. Anime was getting popular with or without Dragon Ball.
Anime was popular in the west beforehand but it was more of a niche market that was filled with hyper-violent anime films and a lot of shows never aired. Dragon Ball Z, along with Sailor Moon, made it something that is accepted by the mainstream.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 pm Shonen manga is its demographic so naturally its influence there stands out far more but the fact it's being referenced constantly by other forms of media shows it left a mark regardless.

Anime was popular in the west beforehand but it was more of a niche market that was filled with hyper-violent anime films and a lot of shows never aired. Dragon Ball Z, along with Sailor Moon, made it something that is accepted by the mainstream.
Yeah, I agree with all of that. Even if the majority of Dragon Ball's influence is confined to the anime/manga sphere, I'd say it still left a big imprint on the cultural landscape. It was probably the main reason for anime reaching increased mainstream acceptance (Sailor Moon never reached DBZ's level of popularity, and Pokemon was much more similar to existing American cartoons), and it had a major impact on the way both Japan and America would show action in the future. Whenever I see a modern blockbuster feature CGI-heavy hand-to-hand combat scenes accentuated by flashy energy attacks, I can't help but see Dragon Ball's influence.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm

While I don't think it's needed to keep the series relevant, I do think there might be a market for an edited version of say Kai or Super on home video. My nephew (who is five) just got into Dragon Ball through the trading cards. He knows the characters, and I l, as the "nerdy uncle," have often helped him go "deeper" into things he's into (such as Sonic), I cannot do the same with Dragon Ball. The modern version of Dragon Ball still has many scenes that would be inappropriate for a child his age, and though he knows the characters, he won't be able to know the show until much later. The only edited version out there is one that completely changes the show.

There is an argument to be made that five is too young to watch Dragon Ball, what with its language and violence, bit I do think having an edited version out there or something using these characters in a way appropriate fir a young child might help a bit. Then again, a lot of MCU movies have the same level of violence and language as say Kai or Super, so I dunno.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:37 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm While I don't think it's needed to keep the series relevant, I do think there might be a market for an edited version of say Kai or Super on home video. My nephew (who is five) just got into Dragon Ball through the trading cards. He knows the characters, and I l, as the "nerdy uncle," have often helped him go "deeper" into things he's into (such as Sonic), I cannot do the same with Dragon Ball. The modern version of Dragon Ball still has many scenes that would be inappropriate for a child his age, and though he knows the characters, he won't be able to know the show until much later. The only edited version out there is one that completely changes the show.

There is an argument to be made that five is too young to watch Dragon Ball, what with its language and violence, bit I do think having an edited version out there or something using these characters in a way appropriate fir a young child might help a bit. Then again, a lot of MCU movies have the same level of violence and language as say Kai or Super, so I dunno.
I was going to say there’s really nothing in uncensored Kai that’s worse than anything you’d see in a MCU film and those movies are made for and consumed by children.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:29 pm

Ultimately it's still the responsibility of the parents, but I do think there's something to someone taking their child to a PG-13 film vs. sitting them in front of the TV where the child most likely isn't watching with their parents.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:39 pm

I'm gonna say no as my answer. Kids for decades just follow what they deem "cool", and looking up DB episodes totally uncut online, legitamently or otherwise. On a kids channel/timeslot or not, kids will find a way.

As a kid, my dad showed me a lot of movies that were kind of inappropriate for a 6-10 year old, like Thunderbolt and Lightfoot which comes to mind, and I see people on Tik Tok and Twitter watching Squid Games with their young kids, both way worse than DB. It's up to you if more modern parents being lenient on the content their kids watching is a good thing or not, but the fact of the matter is DB is nothing bad to most people these days.

Lastly, other than sexual humor and references, I'm not sure what a lot of the edits really accomplished. Growing up with Kai, they recolored the blood to make it more like sweat (I guess), but my friends and I all called it blood. They eventually stopped referring to death by name, but we all said a character died or whatever. And I'm still trying to figure out the point of putting flashes when hits connected.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:30 pm

KPike87 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:39 pm I'm gonna say no as my answer. Kids for decades just follow what they deem "cool", and looking up DB episodes totally uncut online, legitamently or otherwise. On a kids channel/timeslot or not, kids will find a way.

As a kid, my dad showed me a lot of movies that were kind of inappropriate for a 6-10 year old, like Thunderbolt and Lightfoot which comes to mind, and I see people on Tik Tok and Twitter watching Squid Games with their young kids, both way worse than DB. It's up to you if more modern parents being lenient on the content their kids watching is a good thing or not, but the fact of the matter is DB is nothing bad to most people these days.

Lastly, other than sexual humor and references, I'm not sure what a lot of the edits really accomplished.
Growing up with Kai, they recolored the blood to make it more like sweat (I guess), but my friends and I all called it blood. They eventually stopped referring to death by name, but we all said a character died or whatever. And I'm still trying to figure out the point of putting flashes when hits connected.
It ensured Dragon Ball a TV Y7 FV rating on various channels over the years which has served for exposure.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:30 pm
KPike87 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:39 pm I'm gonna say no as my answer. Kids for decades just follow what they deem "cool", and looking up DB episodes totally uncut online, legitamently or otherwise. On a kids channel/timeslot or not, kids will find a way.

Lastly, other than sexual humor and references, I'm not sure what a lot of the edits really accomplished.
Growing up with Kai, they recolored the blood to make it more like sweat (I guess), but my friends and I all called it blood. They eventually stopped referring to death by name, but we all said a character died or whatever. And I'm still trying to figure out the point of putting flashes when hits connected.
It ensured Dragon Ball a TV Y7 FV rating on various channels over the years which has served for exposure.
Obviously, and even stricter ones for public broadcasts, but I meant more so on how kids perceived them.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:52 pm

Kids dont really need censorship. I know that. But I am glad I made this topic because its creating good discussion!

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:32 am

Lastly, other than sexual humor and references, I'm not sure what a lot of the edits really accomplished. Growing up with Kai, they recolored the blood to make it more like sweat (I guess), but my friends and I all called it blood. They eventually stopped referring to death by name, but we all said a character died or whatever. And I'm still trying to figure out the point of putting flashes when hits connected.
Preach, dude. You just described my opinions on this 100%. I raised that point with Squid Game earlier in the thread: If kids nowadays are watching a show about sadistic billionaires slaughtering poor people for fun, is Dragon Ball really that inappropriate in comparison?

And you raise a good point with the violence censorship not accomplishing anything. I never watched the censored Saban dub of Z, but most people who watched it as kids say that they were more confused than anything by the censorship. Stuff like "Why did they say Nappa was 'sent to another dimension', that laser blast clearly killed him!" So the only conceivable benefit to censoring the show is to it can be broadcast on TV, which is pointless in an age where online streaming has all-but replaced conventional TV broadcast.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:37 am

The only one that would concern me is the first part of Dragon Ball, the kung fu comedy. Everything else I think could easily be left as is. I do think if there was some warning or common advertising about keeping hands to yourself and behavior then I think DB may be possibly okay.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:44 am

The Kung Fu Comedy is objectionable?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:36 am

gokaiblue wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm While I don't think it's needed to keep the series relevant, I do think there might be a market for an edited version of say Kai or Super on home video. My nephew (who is five) just got into Dragon Ball through the trading cards. He knows the characters, and I l, as the "nerdy uncle," have often helped him go "deeper" into things he's into (such as Sonic), I cannot do the same with Dragon Ball. The modern version of Dragon Ball still has many scenes that would be inappropriate for a child his age, and though he knows the characters, he won't be able to know the show until much later. The only edited version out there is one that completely changes the show.

He might like these Dragon Ball chapter books. They seem to go as far as somepoint in the worlds Martial Arts Tournament.
https://archive.org/details/dragonballa ... 2/mode/2up

They're also about 5 bucks a pop on Thriftbooks.com
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/dragon-ba ... diq=100307

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:45 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:36 am

He might like these Dragon Ball chapter books. They seem to go as far as somepoint in the worlds Martial Arts Tournament.

And anyone wanting to collect those should be given the following foreknowledge: the author of those chapter books, Gerard Jones, is a convicted collector of CP.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:50 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:45 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:36 am He might like these Dragon Ball chapter books. They seem to go as far as somepoint in the worlds Martial Arts Tournament.

And anyone wanting to collect those should be given the following foreknowledge: the author of those chapter books, Gerard Jones, is a convicted collector of CP.
This is why we can't have nice fucking things
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:45 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:36 am

well then.... :shock:

If your buying used, it's not supporting him...or heck, just read them to him via archive.org :lol:

Was this guy responsible for the edited version of the manga? (where they removed pannels)