Is censorship still needed to keep Dragon Ball Relevant to younger people?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Is censorship still needed to keep Dragon Ball Relevant to younger people?

Post by Nagyzöld » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:40 am

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:59 am
Nagyzöld wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 am Are the younger generations still so much into Dragon Ball though? Or more like our generations trying to shove it down their throats? I believe there are few people who would genuinely enjoy Dragon Ball in these days because: a. It's simply too long and dragged, newer animes are shorter and on point so it's hard to have the attention span to sit through all hundreds of episodes of Dragon Ball. B. The 90's graphics. I believe that youngsters might go for DBS or at most the video games, else we must accept that they have their own anime and stop beating a dead horse.

As for censorship, there's the offensive and then there's the inappropriate. Offensive shit like Roshi sexual assaulting, sure, I wouldn't mind being fixed. As for violence, blood and sexual jokes, just put a PG rating on it and leave it to the parents. Why mutilate a show so much to make it suitable for pre-schoolers when it's not meant for them to begin with? Besides, kids will pirate the uncensored versions anyway. I remember how curious I was to sneak to the TV at nights when I was little, and watch PG 16 anime, because, wow they show Marlene Angel's boobs, there are boobs in cartoons!
I don't feel that's actually the case at all. No offense, but your post comes off like someone who doesn't remember what it was like to be a kid. It seems to pass your notice that kids enjoy older stuff as well as newer stuff. Did you not watch older movies or cartoons as a kid?

I don't think length is a big deterent, especially in the age of streaming where you can start from the very beginning. And I highly doubt One Piece could've gotten to 1000+ episodes and counting if it didn't pick up younger fans throughout the years.
You don't need to get so personal with me. I was expressing an opinion based on what I've noticed around me + some logical deductions. Which I manifested through the phrasing "I believe". Never said there's 0 young people who'd watch DB, just that I BELIEVE it might not be so attractive to newer generations.

Still, we're meant to confront ideas here, not people. Because in the end, you don't know shit about me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:59 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:40 am
Nagyzöld wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 am Are the younger generations still so much into Dragon Ball though? Or more like our generations trying to shove it down their throats? I believe there are few people who would genuinely enjoy Dragon Ball in these days because: a. It's simply too long and dragged, newer animes are shorter and on point so it's hard to have the attention span to sit through all hundreds of episodes of Dragon Ball. B. The 90's graphics. I believe that youngsters might go for DBS or at most the video games, else we must accept that they have their own anime and stop beating a dead horse.

As for censorship, there's the offensive and then there's the inappropriate. Offensive shit like Roshi sexual assaulting, sure, I wouldn't mind being fixed. As for violence, blood and sexual jokes, just put a PG rating on it and leave it to the parents. Why mutilate a show so much to make it suitable for pre-schoolers when it's not meant for them to begin with? Besides, kids will pirate the uncensored versions anyway. I remember how curious I was to sneak to the TV at nights when I was little, and watch PG 16 anime, because, wow they show Marlene Angel's boobs, there are boobs in cartoons!
I don't feel that's actually the case at all. No offense, but your post comes off like someone who doesn't remember what it was like to be a kid. It seems to pass your notice that kids enjoy older stuff as well as newer stuff. Did you not watch older movies or cartoons as a kid?

I don't think length is a big deterent, especially in the age of streaming where you can start from the very beginning. And I highly doubt One Piece could've gotten to 1000+ episodes and counting if it didn't pick up younger fans throughout the years.
You don't need to get so personal with me. I was expressing an opinion based on what I've noticed around me + some logical deductions. Which I manifested through the phrasing "I believe". Never said there's 0 young people who'd watch DB, just that I BELIEVE it might not be so attractive to newer generations.

Still, we're meant to confront ideas here, not people. Because in the end, you don't know shit about me.
And I feel those deductions are incomplete as I've seen plenty of kids throughout my life love older movies, cartoons, and music. And while it's anecdotal on both our parts, it was not some insignificant percentage. I didn't mean to make this personal. I don't know how to phrase it but it just feels like your observation doesn't mesh well with reality. I was confronting the idea that kids today aren't into older things because that's never been the case. Kids today still love shows like Loony Tunes.

Sorry if that came off as a personal shot. I'm not sure how to phrase it. I don't even think I said anything horrible anyway other than something seemed to have passed your notice. Fun stories no matter their age appeal to any generation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:27 am

His post comes off more than that. One wonders what he meant by few audiences enjoy DB, into newer, shorter anime & 90's graphics😅😂 to think dude's sayin that in a DragonBall Forum (Kanzenshuu) with decades of hardwork & passion put into this site, run by fans. Discussions, debates, dissections of various aspects of DB is still running wild in Twitter, FB, Youtube & discussed in various sites/forums

Each person have their own opinion, sure. But DBS, a show thats considered rival to dbgt (most hated, maligned series of the franchise) single handedly turned-over 97.8 billion yen to TOEI animation in 2018.

Even DB Kai: Final Chapters were worked due to pressurizing international response favorably to Kai & the legendary, dormant staying power DragonBall, or specifically DBZ has over 20-30+ years among global fanbase is what even made Kai come into existence.

So clearly, his logic of 90's "graphics", fewer audience enjoy DB & they're into new, shorter anime can be considered invalid.

I cant speak of OP cuz I dont watch the show cuz one, I'm not a fan of OP character designs, 2nd the hype/fans.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:52 am

To me, kids dont really need censorship they can handle Dragon Ball just fine... But I prefer local censorship than Say Toei permanently altering future releases of Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:23 am

There’s also a big difference between Toei editing it’s own material and pretending it was always this way and Funimation (or any dubbing company)editing a show to get it on tv or slapping “edited version” on a vhs/dvd release to sell it to the sheltered grade school market. . The former is revisionist and feels deceptive the latter is just being pragmatic.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:17 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:23 am There’s also a big difference between Toei editing it’s own material and pretending it was always this way and Funimation (or any dubbing company)editing a show to get it on tv or slapping “edited version” on a vhs/dvd release to sell it to the sheltered grade school market. . The former is revisionist and feels deceptive the latter is just being pragmatic.
My country DVD's censor the heck outta DB...to the point some scenes jump frm one to another...esp irritating when it happens durin fights...be it simple Goku/Krillin scuffle durin training arc, Goku vs Tien, Goku vs Piccolo or in DBZ SSJ Goku knee Frieza...

Naked scenes & Muten Roshi lecherous scenes needless to say

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm

Vijay wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:00 am
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 pm The sexual humor in early Dragon Ball was widely seen as inappropriate for kids back in 2001, and if anything, it’s even more inappropriate now. As for whether the rest of the series would need to be censored, I don’t know, maybe not? There are some gruesome moments, but the series isn’t a straight up gore fest. Freeza impaling and torturing Kuririn is more brutal than anything you’re likely to see in an American show geared towards kids, though.
I'm a normal guy...who knws few stuff. I respect every human, regardless of their gender but for the most part I just mind my own bussiness & dont have personal take on LGBTQIA, just feel every living thing have their own freedom so long as it doesnt invade others privacy...

With that in mind, I think s***** humors in DB is pretty tame. If u consider Goku's naked scenes or Muten Roshi's perverse in DB to be excessive, u might wanna reconsider watchin DBZ as violence in DBZ are rather brutal compared to pervism in DB.

I respect that each person have their own perspective. Being 40/50+ as someone"s Dad & allowin their kid to watch such scenes may seem inappropriate to some. Others may be cool with it as current gen is far more advanced when it comes to maturity.

Ultimately it comes down to getting used to. Just like og Japanese version of DragonBall. If u allow yourself to get adequate exposure to japanese voice cast, its music, & its beautiful world, it'll grow on ya & you'd get the reasoning behind scenes/characters acting the way they are

Likewise, pervism & naked scenes in DB takes some time to get used to, just like me. And once it did, I LOL'd so hard every single time Roshi gets smacked by Bulma, Chichi, 18, Mermaid, countless nameless women signifiyin what a man should never do😂

I believe censorship maybe required 20-30/40 years ago, but now...nah. its pretty tame especially when compared to various super gigantic...ya know...Bleach's Rangiku/Inoue or OP's Nami, list goes...
I wouldn’t call an old man shrinking himself down so he can watch a teenage girl pee “tame.”

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:44 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm
I wouldn’t call an old man shrinking himself down so he can watch a teenage girl pee “tame.”
Ironically Funimation pretty much kept all of that intact for the Y7 FV cut that aired on Toonami.

Granted, it’s probably one of those “editing around it is more trouble than its worth” things and Funimation just removed that shot of Bulma in her panties and called it a day.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm
Vijay wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:00 am
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 pm The sexual humor in early Dragon Ball was widely seen as inappropriate for kids back in 2001, and if anything, it’s even more inappropriate now. As for whether the rest of the series would need to be censored, I don’t know, maybe not? There are some gruesome moments, but the series isn’t a straight up gore fest. Freeza impaling and torturing Kuririn is more brutal than anything you’re likely to see in an American show geared towards kids, though.
I'm a normal guy...who knws few stuff. I respect every human, regardless of their gender but for the most part I just mind my own bussiness & dont have personal take on LGBTQIA, just feel every living thing have their own freedom so long as it doesnt invade others privacy...

With that in mind, I think s***** humors in DB is pretty tame. If u consider Goku's naked scenes or Muten Roshi's perverse in DB to be excessive, u might wanna reconsider watchin DBZ as violence in DBZ are rather brutal compared to pervism in DB.

I respect that each person have their own perspective. Being 40/50+ as someone"s Dad & allowin their kid to watch such scenes may seem inappropriate to some. Others may be cool with it as current gen is far more advanced when it comes to maturity.

Ultimately it comes down to getting used to. Just like og Japanese version of DragonBall. If u allow yourself to get adequate exposure to japanese voice cast, its music, & its beautiful world, it'll grow on ya & you'd get the reasoning behind scenes/characters acting the way they are

Likewise, pervism & naked scenes in DB takes some time to get used to, just like me. And once it did, I LOL'd so hard every single time Roshi gets smacked by Bulma, Chichi, 18, Mermaid, countless nameless women signifiyin what a man should never do😂

I believe censorship maybe required 20-30/40 years ago, but now...nah. its pretty tame especially when compared to various super gigantic...ya know...Bleach's Rangiku/Inoue or OP's Nami, list goes...
Pretty sharp memory you got there man...mind ya I'm not defendin Roshi's pervism. And gotta pardon my memory as I usually fast-forward those scenes as they intrude the thrilling General Blue/Goku & co underwater adventure. Not tryin to sugar-coat or anythin as such ya. Cool

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:59 am I was confronting the idea that kids today aren't into older things because that's never been the case. Kids today still love shows like Loony Tunes.
Kids *used* to be into older things, but is that really the case today? In the old days kids were exposed to older material via cable and broadcast television, but in the age of streaming and smart video it seems like kids will simply miss out on classic media entirely.

Also I doubt kids of today know anything about the Looney Tunes.

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm I wouldn’t call an old man shrinking himself down so he can watch a teenage girl pee “tame.”
That is definitely tame. It's probably one of Roshi's least offensive acts. It's Nickelodeon style cartoonery.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:20 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:48 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:59 am I was confronting the idea that kids today aren't into older things because that's never been the case. Kids today still love shows like Loony Tunes.
Kids *used* to be into older things, but is that really the case today? In the old days kids were exposed to older material via cable and broadcast television, but in the age of streaming and smart video it seems like kids will simply miss out on classic media entirely.

Also I doubt kids of today know anything about the Looney Tunes.

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm I wouldn’t call an old man shrinking himself down so he can watch a teenage girl pee “tame.”
That is definitely tame. It's probably one of Roshi's least offensive acts. It's Nickelodeon style cartoonery.
Does it seem that way or are you just guessing? I've seen kids wearing Bugs Bunny t-shirts and my niece and nephew watch old cartoons plenty of times. When my cousin Kelly's son, Tyler, was 5 years old, he watched the original Scooby-Doo and loved it.

So you can doubt it all you want, but I know for a fact you are wrong. I know this is anecdotal but I can't imagine they are rare cases.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:35 pm

Older things have even greater reach with the internet. There are Gen Z kids who think Friends is a new show that's simply a 90s period piece.

Sonic the Hedgehog has only had like 5 good games since the turn of the millennium yet still enjoys a young fanbase who mods the 90s games.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:42 pm

That's a bit of a mischaracterization, really. Not only do way more than the 90s games get modded, most of it is by the jaded 20-30 somethings that grew up in the dark age of 2004-2010.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:17 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:20 pm I've seen kids wearing Bugs Bunny t-shirts and my niece and nephew watch old cartoons plenty of times. When my cousin Kelly's son, Tyler, was 5 years old, he watched the original Scooby-Doo and loved it.
Yes but did those kids ask for the t-shirt or did their parents just decide to get it for them? Did your nephew discover Scooby-Doo on his own or did his parents introduce it to him?

There's a difference between an independently acquired interest and someone else controlling what a person is exposed to and how their interests develop.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:31 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:17 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:20 pm I've seen kids wearing Bugs Bunny t-shirts and my niece and nephew watch old cartoons plenty of times. When my cousin Kelly's son, Tyler, was 5 years old, he watched the original Scooby-Doo and loved it.
Yes but did those kids ask for the t-shirt or did their parents just decide to get it for them? Did your nephew discover Scooby-Doo on his own or did his parents introduce it to him?

There's a difference between an independently acquired interest and someone else controlling what a person is exposed to and how their interests develop.
I didn't ask and it's irrelevant. Do you have no memory of what it was like at that age? At 5-9, did you wear shirts of characters you didn't care about?

And it's irrelevant to how he got introduced to it, he enjoys it.

There is no difference. None of this is remotely relevant to whether someone enjoys something that's decades old. Even if kids are introduced to DB by just their parents, why would that matter?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:35 pm Older things have even greater reach with the internet. There are Gen Z kids who think Friends is a new show that's simply a 90s period piece.

Sonic the Hedgehog has only had like 5 good games since the turn of the millennium yet still enjoys a young fanbase who mods the 90s games.
Why would anyone believe that? Do they think Jennifer Aniston is that young?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:08 pm

I mean...who even cares? Millenials, Xers and Boomers all think similarly dumb shit. We can easily strawman and make up shit with no basis for anything.

Anyway, I literally have nothing of interest to add to the discussion. Please remember to hydrate! And take your fucking meds (if you're on any!)! It's easy to forget!
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:15 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:31 pm There is no difference. None of this is remotely relevant to whether someone enjoys something that's decades old. Even if kids are introduced to DB by just their parents, why would that matter?
It matters because of the point that Nagyzöld was trying to make, about younger generations getting into DB on their own versus the older generations introducing it to them because they want to impose their own interests onto the children.

The question was about how inherently attractive a series like DB is to today's kids. That goes out the window if it's just something that their parents force them to watch. At that point, it's no longer something that they were drawn to or had access to on their own. And that would mean that either today's kids are simply not interested in older shows or that older shows are no longer within their reach.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:45 pm

One of my roommates is a white girl from Colorado that's 10 years younger than me and the amount of stuff I grew up on that she and her friends are familiar with enough on their own is staggering.

These kids have a lot of time on their hands and an infinite library of decades worth of pop culture at their fingertips, plus memes that lead them down rabbitholes.

And of course, so much of our fucking media today consists of remakes that kids are just gonna become familiar with past shit by osmosis. Old shit doesn't know how to stay dead.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:24 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:45 pm Old shit doesn't know how to stay dead.
Or there just seems to be an extreme lack of creativity in virtually all mediums today. Anime sucks, Gaming Sucks, wrestling sucks, music is shit, movies suck and sitcoms are dead.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels