Favorite character developed by Takao Koyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Favorite character developed by Takao Koyama

Post by Goe » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:55 am

Thanks to both for replying.

I don't really need to pick one of someone who says more than one character, but I prefer to ask when I have the doubt about counting a comment like a vote or not.

I have counted Vijay's vote since he said his favourite is Broly, but if you like two characters equally, I can't count your vote, Grimlock. In any case, thanks for posting here and expresing you like Bardock and Janemba equally. For me, it's always interesting to read other DB fans opinions.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:26 am

Bardock! Cant go wrong with Bardock!!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:52 am

Bardock

Takao Koyama's vision of him is the definitive version:

The low-class nobody with hidden badass-ism
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:46 pm

Bardock and Broly are legendary but Dead Zone is such an iconic movie for me, and I love the mystical aspect of Dragon Ball so much more than the Sci-Fi aspect, that I have to vote for Garlic Jr.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:39 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:33 pm ? Bardock was Jor-elish...

I mean, in terms of creativity, it's probably gotta be Bardock. But also, to be fair, he had the most time to develop through his own TV special, while the others had to share their story with the Z Warriors.
Koyama’s Bardock isn’t Jor-Elish though. Toriyama’s Bardock is.

And early Funi’s Bardock

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm

I'm not a fan of Koyama's Bardock. I much prefer the character from Movie #20.

I really think that Doctor Uirou was really quaint. He and Doctor Kochin were such assholes, I feel like the whole atmosphere of the film was great but I loved the story behind these two great gay lovers.

Coola is neat! I thought Nakao Ryuusei played him perfectly but the ending of his first movie was also great because of how ironic it was.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm, I feel like the whole atmosphere of the film was great but I loved the story behind these two great gay lovers.
I never thought of them as gay lovers and now I can’t NOT think of them as gay lovers.

Dammit Julie

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:04 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm, I feel like the whole atmosphere of the film was great but I loved the story behind these two great gay lovers.
I never thought of them as gay lovers and now I can’t NOT think of them as gay lovers.

Dammit Julie
💜💜💜 Beyond flattered honey, thank you for your contribution to feminism and bisexuality. 💜💜💜
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:39 pm Koyama’s Bardock isn’t Jor-Elish though.
He is in the sense that he discovered his race's impending doom and tried to stop it while nobody believed him. And imparting his wishes upon his son and survivor of the race.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:16 pm

Dammit Julie
💜💜💜 Beyond flattered honey, thank you for your contribution to feminism and bisexuality. 💜💜💜
Is it because I listened to Sweater Weather or because of the cuffed jeans 🤔

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:50 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:27 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:39 pm Koyama’s Bardock isn’t Jor-Elish though.
He is in the sense that he discovered his race's impending doom and tried to stop it while nobody believed him. And imparting his wishes upon his son and survivor of the race.

Which is incredibly broad. Jor-El knowing Krypton was going to blow up was an excuse for him to send Kal-El to earth. Bardock saw Freeza destroying Planet Vegeta in order for the narrative to employ a “You can’t fight fate” plot.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:47 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:16 pm

Dammit Julie
Is it because I listened to Sweater Weather or because of the cuffed jeans 🤔
Either or, really. Heck, have a hard time speaking to anyone lately? That also helps!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:53 am

Thanks to all of you for your votes and opinions!! It's interesing when you argue about a posible influence of Superman in Dragon Ball about a parelelism in both main character's father. Sadly, I don't have an opinion about it since I am a DB fan since the 90s and about Superman, I only watched the Superboy tv series and some of the films when I was a kid (in the 90s and only once or few times) and I don't remember anything about Jor-El. As an adult, I watched Man of Steel but I don't remember anything about Jor-El. However, I may watched the films again or read the comics to compare Jor-El with Bardock.

Julie, I guess your favour favourite Koyama's characters are Willow, Korchin and Cooler. If you have a favourite between them, please tell me and I count your vote. If not, I won't consider your comment as a vote for the same reason I didn't consider Grimlock's comment. In any case, all opinions are welcome.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:54 am

Put me down as Uirou then, I guess. Big brain husband who is literally a big gay brain...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:11 am

I suspect you choose Willow for the same reason Grimlock chosen Bardock when I asked him. He liked Janemba and Bardock equally but when I asked him he believed he should pick one and decided Bardock… but there's no need to pick one character (when someone tells he likes more than one, but isn't clear who of the mentioned character is his favourite, I ask about and only if he has a favourite I count a new vote). I explained it in this message of this same thread: viewtopic.php?p=1728956#p1728956

Since you "guess" you like Willow more, I guess you don't have a “favourite for sure", so I'll consider you haven't got a favourite and is okay!! But if I am wrong and you have told me Willow because is your favourite for sure, tell me and I'll count your vote.

Kuririn-sama

Post by Kuririn-sama » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 pm

Koyama-san is one of my favorite writers ever; he's a major inspiration and influence on my own work, so my eyes totally lit up when I saw this thread. Enough to make me say something rather than just reading :D

Firstly, I'll agree with Julie
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm I really think that Doctor Uirou was really quaint. He and Doctor Kochin were such assholes, I feel like the whole atmosphere of the film was great but I loved the story behind these two great gay lovers.
I also had this interpretation of the two; I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!

I happen to quite like Koyama's Bardock, but I will say I prefer the modern version a tad more.

As for my favorite, I'm going to have to go with Tullece. Even I'll admit that he's a tad bland, but I'm a sucker for the whole Evil Version of The Main Character thing. I thought he had a sexy cool design, attacks like Sudden Storm have a really neat look, and Ward Perry's acting in the Ocean Dub was how I found out I was bisexual. Once he said "Incredible! Power level 30,000!" it was all over :crazy:

So yeah... Tullece is pretty important to me! He's definitely my favorite!
「オレだって最初は悟空なんか嫌いだった…」

My name's Oak, They/Them pronouns, please!

Other than Dragon Ball, I'm an encyclopedia on Yakuza/龍が如く

日本語/Eng

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:39 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:33 pm ? Bardock was Jor-elish...

I mean, in terms of creativity, it's probably gotta be Bardock. But also, to be fair, he had the most time to develop through his own TV special, while the others had to share their story with the Z Warriors.
Koyama’s Bardock isn’t Jor-Elish though. Toriyama’s Bardock is.

And early Funi’s Bardock
Such an average fighter, but a BRILLIANT SCIENTIST!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm I really think that Doctor Uirou was really quaint. He and Doctor Kochin were such assholes, I feel like the whole atmosphere of the film was great but I loved the story behind these two great gay lovers.
As much as I would like to think they had a genuine relationship, I find Willow inadvertently killing Kochin (and not reacting to it) a bit of a snag in that hypothesis...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:33 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 am
As much as I would like to think they had a genuine relationship, I find Willow inadvertently killing Kochin (and not reacting to it) a bit of a snag in that hypothesis...
Uirou was falling into a state of even greater mental unrest by that point. It probably hadn't registered with him yet.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:37 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:33 am
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 am
Uirou was falling into a state of even greater mental unrest by that point. It probably hadn't registered with him yet.
That might be the most probable case.
Although, I did find Kochin's final cries to Willow a bit sorrowful.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san