Favorite character developed by Takao Koyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Favorite character developed by Takao Koyama

Post by Goe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Hi mates:

I'd like to make a poll about our favourite Koyama's character. As you may already know, he wrote the stories of the DBZ films and, with Shumisawa, the fist TV Special, so he created the stories of Broly, Turles, Bardock, Bojack, Cooler, Janemba, Garlick, Dr. willow, Tapion and Hirudegan, etc. He even wrote the Abo, Cado and Tarble story, along with Toriyama. Koyama said Tarble was created by Toriyama, but since Koyama partially wrote Tarble's story, votes for Tarble will be valid.

Please tell your favourite Koyama's character and I'll count your vote. My vote is for Bardock.

Please, if you like the Broly and/or Bardock versions of DBSB, consider they are Toriyama's characters, and we are talking about Koyama's stories. In this thread, votes for Broly must be for the 90s Broly. Same about Bardock.

Votes:

Bardock: 9 (Goe, Luso Saiyan, thegreatness25, PurestEvil, fleahop, OmegaRockMan, koitsukai, Cure Dragon 255, DBZAOTA482) 64,28%
Garlick Jr: 2 (zephyr, BWri) 14,28%
Dr. Willow: 1 (Myvisionity) 7,14%
Broly: 1 (Vijay) 7,14%
Turles: 1 (Kuririn-sama) 7.14%

Total votes: 14

Please vote. Thank you.
Last edited by Goe on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:56 am, edited 12 times in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Favorite character developed by Takao Koyama

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:33 pm

Oof, that's a hard one. I guess a good place to start is an elimination process. Tullece was super generic Raditz/Vegeta retread, Cooler was a Freeza retread, Hildegarn was not all that interesting, Janemba was a Boo retread, and Garlic Jr. was like this mix of Piccolo and Pilaf. Dr. Wheelo was very unique, but felt out of place. Broli was kind on unimaginative, though cool in concept. Table was kind of out of left-field and felt inconsequential. Avo and Cado were super inconsequential. Tapion was like... future Trunksish? Bardock was Jor-elish...

I mean, in terms of creativity, it's probably gotta be Bardock. But also, to be fair, he had the most time to develop through his own TV special, while the others had to share their story with the Z Warriors.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:01 pm

Bardock and Janemba.

The former still is "Jor-Elish". As a matter of fact, more so than ever.
The latter may be a "retread" of Majin Buu, but a "retread" done in a more interesting way.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:44 pm

Thanks to both for expressing your opinions, I appreciate it.

However, I can't count your comments as votes since thegreatness25 hasn't said his favourite character (even I think he may be Bardock because in his last paragraph he said is the most original) and Grimlock has said 2 characters.

What character do you prefer, Grimlock, Bardock or Janemba?

Thegreatness25, is Bardock your favourite?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:23 pm

Bardock, while Tapion would be my second favorite.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:56 pm

Goe wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:44 pm Thanks to both for expressing your opinions, I appreciate it.

However, I can't count your comments as votes since thegreatness25 hasn't said his favourite character (even I think he may be Bardock because in his last paragraph he said is the most original) and Grimlock has said 2 characters.

What character do you prefer, Grimlock, Bardock or Janemba?

Thegreatness25, is Bardock your favourite?
Yes, Bardock. This thing is getting one-sided! lol

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:31 pm

I like Garlic Jr. the most, probably.

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:40 am

Thanks for the 4 votes!

Garlick Jr... the Garlick movie is the only Koyama's movie I haven't seen yet. The reason is I didn't like the Garlick filler saga when I saw it in 1997. I remember that in late 90s, a friend had the Garlick, Turles, and Dr. Willow's movies. I asked him for the Dr. Willow's movie and he said "you should take the Garlick movie better", but I refused because I had a bad memory of the filler saga.

It's interesting that Zephyr voted Garlick, so I may give that film a chance somewhen.

I hope more users vote in this poll.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:02 am

Goe wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:40 am Thanks for the 4 votes!

Garlick Jr... the Garlick movie is the only Koyama's movie I haven't seen yet. The reason is I didn't like the Garlick filler saga when I saw it in 1997. I remember that in late 90s, a friend had the Garlick, Turles, and Dr. Willow's movies. I asked him for the Dr. Willow's movie and he said "you should take the Garlick movie better", but I refused because I had a bad memory of the filler saga.

It's interesting that Zephyr voted Garlick, so I may give that film a chance somewhen.

You should absolutely watch it. It’s by far the best Dragon Ball movie. Excellent fight choreography, fantastic backgrounds, Shunsuke Kikuchi’s best work as a composer, a fairly decent movie villain, memorable gags, a plot that doesn’t dawdle.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:45 am

Bardock is my favorite, followed by Tapion. I do have a soft spot for Garlic Jr.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:02 am
Goe wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:40 am Thanks for the 4 votes!

You should absolutely watch it. It’s by far the best Dragon Ball movie. Excellent fight choreography, fantastic backgrounds, Shunsuke Kikuchi’s best work as a composer, a fairly decent movie villain, memorable gags, a plot that doesn’t dawdle.
Yeah, DBZ Movie 1 is high quality stuff all around. In addition to everything mentioned here, it also takes place around my favorite section of the story: when Piccolo is still only reluctantly an ally.

The filler arc is definitely not representative of the film.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:26 pm

People of culture in here I see

Bardock has to win, he is just too good. The character fits in so well with the story. It's great. I really feel for this Bardock. It's relatable as a guy who grew up in a toxic male environment that was hard to escape. It just works.

Seconded by Tapion, as others have said, and an honorable mention for Garlic Jr and his henchman. The spice boys having those blades in their arms are so cool looking when they fight.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:29 pm

It's gotta be Bardock for me. Cooler is my second pick, but he's a little bit too close to being a Freeza clone to give him the edge over Bardock, who is fully fleshed out and given a compelling story in his original special. I do think Cooler could benefit from a Super-era reinvention that leans more into that insecurity he has due to Freeza being Cold's favorite (and to be clear, Cooler is the ONLY legacy character I think has the potential to get any storytelling mileage out of a Broly-style reboot, and it's not like I'm frothing at the mouth for it either). However, since we're talking about the original Koyama versions and not theoretical future reimaginings, my vote goes to Bardock.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:42 pm

The non-Toriyama character from the 90s I like the most is Bardock.

Janemba has a great design, maybe the best, but he cannot even speak and I prefer Toriyama's take on a mindless creature, I really like Goku.

I also like Sauza, Cooler Kikosentai's leader, he's an asshole with a really cool lightsaber-ish.

So, for me it's Bardock at the top, followed by Janemba and Sauza.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:13 am

Broly, Janemba, Hiru & maybe Bojack I guess

There's somethin abt these guys that are pure...no small talk, straight-up havoc, chaos & heroes hardly able to keep up with their might/tactics

Powerful protag needs powerful foes as their faceoff should excite viewers/fans. Those guys are overwhelmingly powerful plus their designs are sleek. Hiru is legit kaiju🤣

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:33 am

Dr. Uiro, because I like the story concept and the character design.

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:49 am

Thank you to all for your votes.

I see most of you like several Koyama's characters, so I talk a bit more about my preferences.

Bardock is my favourite character of the whole franchise because I find his heroic last moments very touching. Moreover, he isn't a good guy like Goku and his friends (all of them act like pure good guys, even if they were evil in the past, like Piccolo. The only exception to that is Vegeta, who killed innocents in the tournament but, the same day, died like a hero against Boo) but he isn't a pure evil like standart DB villains (Piccolo Daimaoh, Raditz, Nappa, Freezer and his henchmen, etc). That makes Bardock interesting and original. He was the first character in the franchise with that characteristics. I also like Bardock Toma because he seems to be Bardock's best friend. I think I also like Serippa since, for me, the only reason to play Tenkaichi 3 is the chance to play as her (I prefer Tenkaichi 2 by far due to story mode)

I think Turles isn't original at all. He is only a saiyajin like Raditz, Nappa and the "first" Vegeta, with Goku's head. However, I find interesting the fact that an old trope is to make an evil clone of a good guy/girl (Mario and Wario, Link and Dark Link, Zelda and Hilda, Darkwing Duck and Negaduck, Bart Simpson and Hugo Simpson, Bender and Flexo, Sonic and Shadow, Wally and Odlaw…). That trope has been used in West and East fictions, so I think is a human universal.

I also like Cooler since Freezer is my favourite main villain, and Cooler is really similar, but with one extra transformation. He has a cool design. Despite if that, I am not a huge Cooler fan, but I like it more than Broly, Bojack, Janemba, etc.

Broly was original (an evil saiyan which can turn into SSJ, doesn't wear the Freezer henchmen's armor and has much more power than "ordinary" SSJ) but his personality is really poor: he only wants to kill Goku because remembers his cries as a traumatic experience. I also find Bojack original even if some fans think he is a copy of Cell. Personally I disagree with that, but despite of that, I like Cooler more, even if he is a clone of Freezer.

Vijay, you have said you like 4 characters. Have you a favourite between that four? I need to know to count your vote. Thanks

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:19 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:01 pmBardock and Janemba.
Do you like both equally? If not, who do you prefer?
Vijay wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:13 amBroly, Janemba, Hiru & maybe Bojack I guess
Do you like Broly, Janemba and Hirudegan equally? If not, who do you prefer?

I'd like to know to count more votes. Thank you!

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:08 am

Goe wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:19 am
Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:01 pmBardock and Janemba.
Do you like both equally? If not, who do you prefer?
Vijay wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:13 amBroly, Janemba, Hiru & maybe Bojack I guess
Do you like Broly, Janemba and Hirudegan equally? If not, who do you prefer?

I'd like to know to count more votes. Thank you!
I like Broly slightly more thn Janemba & Hiru as those 2 are equal imo☺️✨

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:47 am

Goe wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:19 amDo you like both equally? If not, who do you prefer?
Sorry, I didn't check this thread again. I like them equally, but if you really need me to pick one... it's Bardock.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~