AB's censored DB, Z, GT classic movies and OAVs on BD

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

AB's censored DB, Z, GT classic movies and OAVs on BD

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:48 am

Update : the movies are censored like Toei's release: https://mobile.twitter.com/argol83/stat ... 5477323776 You gotta wonder how the channel Mangas could broadcast them uncut. And the DBGT special is a horribly interlaced upscaled DVD.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AB_Video/sta ... 0903148546

https://mobile.twitter.com/AB_Video/sta ... 00/photo/1 : this will unfortunately be the cover art.

AB vidéo (Mediawan) has announced a release on a 7 BD boxset for all classic Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT oav’s and movies on Blu-Ray on the 30th of March. This excludes Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, The newest Broly movie, Episode of Bardock, and The plan to eradicate the super saiyans, the 2008 special.
It can be pre ordered here:
https://www.amazon.fr/Dragon-Ball-lint% ... ative=6746
and here:
https://www.fnac.com/a16512721/Integral ... earchpos=3
The price here is 60 euro.

But you can get it for 50 euro here : https://www.anime-store.fr/as/Dragon-Ba ... -8183.html

Sanjushi is redoing the subtitles:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Sanjushi5/st ... 1684699141

According to Animeguides (Gib’) on twitter, who is in close contact with AB, the movies will be completely uncut like what’s shown on AB’s TV channel “mangas” except that AB “remaster” the French dub. He also unfortunately confirms that AB isn’t doing any own remastering of the video and that AB use “what is sent to them by the Japanese”. That is a bit contradictory with the fact that the movies are uncut, unless Toei made two Blu Ray masters, or Toei sent AB the amazon remaster. .
Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/AnimeGuides/ ... 8889200640
Last edited by sangofe on Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:24 am, edited 10 times in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: AB vidéo to release all Dragon Ball, Z, GT movies and specials on Blu-Ray

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:55 pm

So, the list on Fnac seems to confirm that all the movies will and specials are included (weirdly enough not the bardock special, but gotta assume that's a listing error when the DBGT special is listed.)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:58 am

Amazon.com lists 7 blu rays for the movies and specials: https://www.amazon.fr/Dragon-Ball-lint% ... ative=6746

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:28 am

Really great news for all French-speaking fans. Even if it's just an upscale I imagine there are plenty of fans that grew up on the French dub that will appreciate an upgrade from the old DVDs.

Come to think of it do AB still have the rights to the Big Green dubs? It would be great if they could be included as extra audio tracks, particularly the 3 OG Dragon Ball movies and GT special, all of which never had a physical release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:13 am

The Bardock special has been confirmed to be included and everything is uncut, by AB :
https://mobile.twitter.com/AB_Video/sta ... 46/photo/1

Note : some people think this is the cover art. It's not.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: AB has officially announced all DB, Z, GT classic movies and OAVs on BD

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:18 am

Sorry for the xxx bumping post, but I couldn't delete this thread and make a new one. I have put the information with sources up in the first post. What's interesting is that the release will be fully uncut. What sucks, is that the DBGT special seems to be an upscale. I will update this thread when there are more tweets and posts showing the cover art or other new information from AB directly.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 pm

Imagine if AB Groupe (Mediawan Thematics) remastered all episodes from OG DB to GT and kept their French OST, then people will finally see the TV-Size GT intro with the French theme from 1997 now in HQ (with footage sent to them by Toei) while other people see the French OG DB intro remastered (idk which one but I gotta say that it's gonna show the debut intro which uses creditless clips from the Japanese intro with French credits)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:56 pm

Brilliant_Gear_258 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 pm Imagine if AB Groupe (Mediawan Thematics) remastered all episodes from OG DB to GT and kept their French OST, then people will finally see the TV-Size GT intro with the French theme from 1997 now in HQ (with footage sent to them by Toei) while other people see the French OG DB intro remastered (idk which one but I gotta say that it's gonna show the debut intro which uses creditless clips from the Japanese intro with French credits)
Yeah... That'd be funny. Unfortunately it looks like next project won't be remastered but an upscale.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:56 am

Updated the initial post with the cover art. This is 3 weeks from release now.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:07 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/argol83/stat ... kb0w2VrIOQ

For your own sanity, if you like the DBGT special, do not click this link.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:07 am https://mobile.twitter.com/argol83/stat ... kb0w2VrIOQ

Bruh what's the point of releasing these on BD if GT's special is going to look that bad? Is it that hard to ask Japan to send a copy of the film, or at the very least the original Betacams without the DVD interlacing? Also, why are the specials in 16:9? They were made for TV, so they should be in 4:3.

Not even gonna mention the lack of OVAS, I can see why Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans isn't included as Toei probably also trashed that one, but what's the excuse with the other OVAs with digital animation?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:59 am

desu wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:07 am https://mobile.twitter.com/argol83/stat ... kb0w2VrIOQ

Bruh what's the point of releasing these on BD if GT's special is going to look that bad? Is it that hard to ask Japan to send a copy of the film, or at the very least the original Betacams without the DVD interlacing? Also, why are the specials in 16:9? They were made for TV, so they should be in 4:3.

Not even gonna mention the lack of OVAS, I can see why Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans isn't included as Toei probably also trashed that one, but what's the excuse with the other OVAs with digital animation?

Yeah, the Gt special shouldn't have been included. Are the TV specials in wide screen? The poster says full screen. The newer special rights and movies are owned by kaze.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 am

So... basically there are several Dragon Ball Blu-ray releases out there, but Funimation--the first company that put the series on Blu-ray (to my knowledge)--has been totally left behind. And yes, even if these aren't perfect and they're just Dragon Box upscales, the point is that Funimation is lacking.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:03 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 am So... basically there are several Dragon Ball Blu-ray releases out there, but Funimation--the first company that put the series on Blu-ray (to my knowledge)--has been totally left behind. And yes, even if these aren't perfect and they're just Dragon Box upscales, the point is that Funimation is lacking.
Only the GT special is an upscale. The others seem to be uncut versions of the Toei BD footage.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:03 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 amthe point is that Funimation is lacking.
As far as Funimation is concerned, it has just been announced that home video will "eventually" move to Crunchyroll internationally, meaning future Blu-Ray releases in the US and UK will carry Crunchyroll's name and be handled by them. Granted Crunchyroll haven't had their own home video label yet, so it remains to be seen whether new discs will be authored in Texas or California, but I'm hoping with the latter involved we'll see some more quality control, but only time will tell.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:12 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:03 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 amthe point is that Funimation is lacking.
As far as Funimation is concerned, it has just been announced that home video will "eventually" move to Crunchyroll internationally, meaning future Blu-Ray releases in the US and UK will carry Crunchyroll's name and be handled by them. Granted Crunchyroll haven't had their own home video label yet, so it remains to be seen whether new discs will be authored in Texas or California, but I'm hoping with the latter involved we'll see some more quality control, but only time will tell.
Imagine CR deciding to release FUNimation's raw HD scans of the DBZ series...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:34 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:12 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:03 pm
Imagine CR deciding to release FUNimation's raw HD scans of the DBZ series...
I'm honestly hoping for some sort of shakeup/ change in management. I'm not sure if BDs will continue to be authored in Texas or if home video is moving entirely to California, but if Crunchyroll's in-house team has any say this could be a golden opportunity for challenging Funimation's typical decisions.

Not that I think it's likely but I would hope this could open the door for future Ocean dub releases since now technically putting the Westwood dub out wouldn't mean promoting a competing product because Crunchyroll didn't produce Funimation's dub either, they will only now be distributing it.

I would encourage anyone who wants this, a re-release of the Dragon Boxes or Rock the Dragon, broadcast audio, a revival of the level sets, OG Dragon Ball and GT on Blu-Ray etc to do all you can. Tweet Crunchyroll, email them, let your voices be heard. We have a new (at least in the home video department) company in charge, there's always the possibility that maybe, just maybe things will be different.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:19 am

While a French broadcaster broadcasted this uncut with the bd footage, this release has Toei's censorship :

https://mobile.twitter.com/argol83/stat ... 5477323776

Please, don't buy this shit. We can't support this.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:59 pm

desu wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 am

Toei does not have the film for the GT special or the original OVA, it will never ever look better than it did on the Dragon Box (and even that didn't really look good) because all they have is a tape master. It will never look good in HD no matter what because it's impossible to upscale an already shitty source to look good.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:40 am

desu wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 am Also, why are the specials in 16:9? They were made for TV, so they should be in 4:3.
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:59 am Are the TV specials in wide screen? The poster says full screen.
Those Twitter screen caps of Bardock are from the the first Cooler movie's recap; they seem to be complaining that the movies were cropped from 4:3 to 1.85:1 (which we know is an intended way of presenting them). Later in the thread, they claim that the three specials are 4:3.