The CW is up for sale. (And I hope it will air Dragon Ball again)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The CW is up for sale. (And I hope it will air Dragon Ball again)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:48 am

I really do wish they aired Dragon Ball content again...dont @ me!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235070616/
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The CW is up for sale. (And I hope it will air Dragon Ball again)

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am

I just don’t understand this CW obsession

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:41 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am I just don’t understand this CW obsession
As it pertains to Dragon Ball, some of the earliest broadcasts of the BLT and Saban dubs were shown in syndication on UPN and WB affiliates, which were eventually replaced by the CW when it launched in 2006. The CW later ran Kai on their Toonzai and Vortexx blocks with the infamous edit that included Blue Mr Popo. It wasn't as well edited as the Ocean Studios cut that aired on Nicktoons, but as with the original broadcasts of Funimation's original dub 15 years prior it introduced yet another generation of kids to the franchise, which is always a good thing in my book.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:41 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am I just don’t understand this CW obsession
As it pertains to Dragon Ball, some of the earliest broadcasts of the BLT and Saban dubs were shown in syndication on UPN and WB affiliates, which were eventually replaced by the CW when it launched in 2006. The CW later ran Kai on their Toonzai and Vortexx blocks with the infamous edit that included Blue Mr Popo. It wasn't as well edited as the Ocean Studios cut that aired on Nicktoons, but as with the original broadcasts of Funimation's original dub 15 years prior it introduced yet another generation of kids to the franchise, which is always a good thing in my book.
I am aware of its history.

But here’s the thing. Broadcast television just really isn’t a thing anymore. Kids are way more likely to be watching Youtube or Netflix on their tablets their parents got on Black Friday to shut them up than wake up on 7 am to watch Saturday Morning Cartoons.Like Time Warner and ViacomCBS are selling the CW because people aren’t watching the channel. They’re going online.

This bizarre desire to see a new generation of kids discover Dragon Ball is more likely to happen if the show was put up on Netflix or Funimation’s YouTube channel than if they put it on Wb/CW/whatever

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:06 pm

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:56 pm

Why do you want them to air it again when its already fully available to stream?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:12 am

Its not for anyone who has access to streaming. I want this for the masses that dont have streaming or cable and they are plenty. I actually want to make a thread to see how Dragon Ball can reach those without means.

Miss Dream from the Sailor Moon fandom actually encourages STEALING for those without money to enjoy Sailor Moon. I think differently. There must be a way for people without means to Enjoy anime. That is also why I am SOOOOO big on dubs AND subs. I want everyone to enjoy animation no matter who they are. I want a healthy industry that is not ignorant to the needs of the needy.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:20 am

from what i mainly remember, the main thing missdream encourages to download is Pretty Gurdian Sailor Moon, which is a semi obscure, never released anywhere outside of Japan show with a limited home release, without downloads and the like that show is not available for almost anyone. i wouldn't Encourage it publicly, but, it's not like that "Bad". though i shouldn't really be allowed to comment on that thing w/r/t sailor moon seeing as i bought the manga in full in 3 different ways (90s japanese tankobans, 2004 re-release, and the eternal editors) but only ever read it Illegally (though not missdreams translations cus they aren't the greatest).
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:22 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:46 am This bizarre desire to see a new generation of kids discover Dragon Ball is more likely to happen if the show was put up on Netflix or Funimation’s YouTube channel than if they put it on Wb/CW/whatever
It's like Ghostbusters fans who want younger generations to be as into Ghostbusters as they were/are and actively push it onto them instead of letting them find their own stuff to get into.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am

So having it available as an option on Broadcast TV along with some other cartoons is "Pushing Dragon Ball down kids' throats". But no matter, thanks for posting. You are keeping this thread alive.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:33 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am So having it available as an option on Broadcast TV along with some other cartoons is "Pushing Dragon Ball down kids' throats". But no matter, thanks for posting. You are keeping this thread alive.
But it doesn't really make sense. Most people who are watching broadcast television are older adults. Like straight up 50+. Hence why most shows that are on network tv skew older.

Streaming apps are directly available on tv, video game consoles, and cell phones. Kids nowadays are streaming cartoons rather than waking up at a specific time to watch a show.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 am

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:33 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am So having it available as an option on Broadcast TV along with some other cartoons is "Pushing Dragon Ball down kids' throats". But no matter, thanks for posting. You are keeping this thread alive.
But it doesn't really make sense. Most people who are watching broadcast television are older adults. Like straight up 50+. Hence why most shows that are on network tv skew older.

Streaming apps are directly available on tv, video game consoles, and cell phones. Kids nowadays are streaming cartoons rather than waking up at a specific time to watch a show.
All this. Like younger kids are not watching broadcast tv. Hell teens and adults under 50 are not really watching tv.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:27 pm

I thought Cure Dragon was referring to children who don't have the means or access to things like streaming and smart devices etc. I imagine that there are many communities where this is still the case.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:41 am

The only reason I’m on this site right now is because 4 months ago I stumbled across Kai on Warner. I had seen DBZ when I was like 12 (only Cell and Buu saga) but I never went back to it after it ended, until now
Just saying, if it wasn’t because I was channel surffing that day I would not have rediscovered it, certainly I wouldn't have searched for it.
Also I landed on the infamous Goku vs Vegeta first fight which I had never seen before, only knew about it from exposition/Vegeta’s flashbacks, so that probably made it more impactful for me.
But yeah streaming’s a replacement for Block Buster not cable or broadcast tv, which I think should always remain, cause that “letting it come to you” aspect of it is irreplaceable

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:08 pm

"During the first 20 days of its May premiere, Donkey Hodie content generated 32.6 million streams, the most for any PBS KIDS series launch in the past five years. On-air, the series posted the highest Kids 2-8 ratings and reach of any PBS KIDS series during its premiere week, reaching 2.7 million TV viewers."

Still think no kid watches Broadcast TV, MasenkoHA?

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:08 pm Still think no kid watches Broadcast TV?
Going by those stats, streaming was an order of magnitude more popular than the broadcast, although the streaming numbers have presumably been inflated by non-episode "content". I don't think that bodes well for Kids content on broadcast TV, even if the raw numbers are high outside of that context.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:55 pm

You DO know 2.7 MILLION viewers is way higher than most actual network FOR ADULTS TV on the USA, right? This is proof that Broadcast TV can indeed co exist with Streaming.