What made you laugh in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

What made you laugh in Dragon Ball

Post by super michael » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:55 am

Just curious what episode or chapter made you laugh in Dragon Ball? I think one of the episode I found funny was Goku and Piccolo driving, turning a driving episode into a competition.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What made you laugh in Dragon Ball

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:05 pm

The Murasaki vs Goku stuff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:12 pm

Murasaki vs Goku was like something straight out of a Hannah Barbera cartoon.

For me it would be anything involving Mr Satan, and how he had to convince reporters about how he allegedly saved the world.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:05 pm The Murasaki vs Goku stuff
That is a excellent one, that was really funny.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:39 pm

Goku and Gohan holding hands in a touching father-son moment, and then Vegeta just plunging in knee-first into Goku's stomach and gleefully kicking his ribs and laughing with the enthusiasm of an 8-year old playing soccer for the first time.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:49 pm

Tao Pai Pai just being himself. Piercing Blue's skull with his tongue. Pillar riding. Boiling eggs in his bathwater in the anime. Good stuff.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:21 pm

Goku eating all the time during the 22nd TB, even when they were announcing the match ups.
Goku going crazy for a moment after hearing bad news(you lost your tail; you can't travel around the world on Kintoun) and then just going "Okay".
Goku arriving on Bulma's town not knowing where she lives and everything about it.
Krilin and Goku's dynamic as teenagers.
Roshi and Krilin reenactment of a moment of their fight for the audience and announcer.
Roshi's behavior after Tenshinhan was told that Jackie Chun was in fact Roshi.
Goku vs Jackie Chun.
21st TB overall is really funny

Mr. Satan in the Buu arc, particularly during the TB.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:35 pm

Roshi's antics typically make me laugh. And Oolong's.

Anytime Goku gets naked.

Whenever Vegeta beats up on Gohan. Or whenever Vegeta is laughing or gleeful, like when they thought Goku had died on Namek, or when Vegeta slaughtered that Namekian village.

Bulma's parents.

Yamcha humorous moments in general. I like the stuff about him being unemployed and broke.

That episode where Blue ties up everyone at Kame House with the bomb.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:10 pm

I liked the Arale-chan crossovers and Goku patting random people's crotches
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:23 pm

The Baseball Episode in Dragon Ball Super. It's the only content in all of Dragon Ball that ALWAYS gets a laugh out of me.

Real talk though... I don't find Toriyama, Toyotaro or Toei interpretations of humour in Dragon Ball all that humourous. Toriyama's brand of comedy is too juvenile for my taste, Toyotaro's brand of comedy is too sterile and Toei's brand of comedy is often too cringy and exaggerated.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:23 pm The Baseball Episode in Dragon Ball Super. It's the only content in all of Dragon Ball that ALWAYS gets a laugh out of me.
Complete opposite for me. I find the DBS Baseball episode overhyped, and didn't even find it that funny, while there are lots of other DB moments I do.

Part of it must be because this sport isn't even popular in my country so I don't have bigger attachment to it (a Football ep would've been better IMO)

Then the stiff art and animation were overall bothersome.

I much prefer Gohan's Baseball game from the Buu arc, it's funnier and more solid.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:50 am

Intentionally funny? Schemmel has a great dub-ism with "Aaaaaa-forgot my tractor-aaaaah" in Super. Actually got a laugh out of me and still does.

Unintentionally funny? Another dub line with, "Don't shoot! He's not Black!" This was during Future Trunks in DBS obviously. Another that makes me laugh.

I do watch in Japanese with subtitles now, but the comedy of my native language hits better for me. Also, the dub has tons of unintentionally hilarious moments.

When I was younger the Toriyama jokes struck more of a chord but now it'll rarely be even a chuckle.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:27 am

fleahop wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:50 am Intentionally funny? Schemmel has a great dub-ism with "Aaaaaa-forgot my tractor-aaaaah" in Super. Actually got a laugh out of me and still does.

Unintentionally funny? Another dub line with, "Don't shoot! He's not Black!" This was during Future Trunks in DBS obviously. Another that makes me laugh.

I do watch in Japanese with subtitles now, but the comedy of my native language hits better for me. Also, the dub has tons of unintentionally hilarious moments.

When I was younger the Toriyama jokes struck more of a chord but now it'll rarely be even a chuckle.
I dunno, I think Funi intentionally worded it that way for bonus laughs :lol:
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:38 am

Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:10 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:38 am Image

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:00 pm

when goku and piccolo went to driving school
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:09 pm

Mr. Satan mournfully and dramatically declaring that Buu can't be saved, and apologizing for what he has to do... before pulling out an M1911 and blazing away at Super Buu, with a dumbstruck Dende watching in confusion. Then when Buu's blast gets deflected, Dende for a second looks like he almost believed Satan's .45 was responsible.

Later he does the same thing right before Goku cuts Buu in half, again believing the bullets to be responsible, and can't help but look horrified at what he thinks he's done to his former friend.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:55 pm

Puar transforming into Goku and sneaking around Oolong's truck is eternally hilarious to me. Same with the Goku doll that Mr. Popo makes.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:16 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:39 pm Goku and Gohan holding hands in a touching father-son moment, and then Vegeta just plunging in knee-first into Goku's stomach and gleefully kicking his ribs and laughing with the enthusiasm of an 8-year old playing soccer for the first time.
It's even funnier in the dub as he says "Being a good fiend is like being a photographer. You have to wait for the right moment".

The dub had some hilarious lines in general, which is part of its charm. Another gem is after Vegeta appears to be dead after getting hit by the Spirit Bomb. Krillin says "Now earth won't have to look at his ugly face anymore" only for Vegeta to wake up angrily replying "Who's face is ugly!?" scaring the life out of Krillin.

There was another one where Vegeta mentions getting Nappa wormed, to which Nappa replies "I don't have worms! I just want to annihilate somebody!". And another were Piccolo blasts Nappa in the back and says "I thought it was you face".

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:34 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:16 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:39 pm Goku and Gohan holding hands in a touching father-son moment, and then Vegeta just plunging in knee-first into Goku's stomach and gleefully kicking his ribs and laughing with the enthusiasm of an 8-year old playing soccer for the first time.
It's even funnier in the dub as he says "Being a good fiend is like being a photographer. You have to wait for the right moment".

The dub had some hilarious lines in general, which is part of its charm. Another gem is after Vegeta appears to be dead after getting hit by the Spirit Bomb. Krillin says "Now earth won't have to look at his ugly face anymore" only for Vegeta to wake up angrily replying "Who's face is ugly!?" scaring the life out of Krillin.

There was another one where Vegeta mentions getting Nappa wormed, to which Nappa replies "I don't have worms! I just want to annihilate somebody!". And another were Piccolo blasts Nappa in the back and says "I thought it was you face".
Ehhh, I'm gonna have to disagree. I think those are all pretty lame and even worse given the context. For the Vegeta scene, I was mostly just being a cheeky cunt, but I do think the outright callousness was darkly hilarious on its own and I any attempts at adding conventional humor to it ends up undermining the cackling audacity that makes it inadvertantly funny in the first place.
Cold World (Fanfic)