What made you laugh in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: What made you laugh in Dragon Ball

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:02 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:38 am Image
What a legendary episode :lol:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:16 am

For the life of me I just cant get behind the Yamcha Pose joke, its just not funny to me, never has been, guess I was just never bitten by that bug.

This however cracks me the hell up! Krillin's head is fucking enormous :lol: :lol:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:52 am

Whenever someone is hit and you pause at the right time.

Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 am

The Baseball episode was just a string of low-hanging fruit gags. It's not even the funniest DBS episode IMO.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:43 pm

Too many to count but I will list down a few:

Almost all of Mr. Satan's antics in the Buu arc.

Ginyu's reaction when Jeice tells him about his power level

Goku everytime he tries he to find out who's a girl

Every scene with blonde Launch in it

Goku being afraid of needles and Gohan's reaction to it right afterwards on Namek

Every scene of Goku being afraid of needles was pretty funny actually, even the ones from GT

Every time the more serious characters are shown being afraid by the likes of Chi-Chi, Bulma or 18.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:49 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 am The Baseball episode was just a string of low-hanging fruit gags. It's not even the funniest DBS episode IMO.
Yeah not even close, the Dr. Slump crossover had some actual laughs in it for me, but then again I love Dr. Slump...

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:36 am

super michael wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:55 am Just curious what episode or chapter made you laugh in Dragon Ball? I think one of the episode I found funny was Goku and Piccolo driving, turning a driving episode into a competition.
I thought when u asked DragonBall, u werw referrin to original DB. But then u mentioned ur fav is Goku & Piccolo driving episode thats frm DBZ...so I assume u meant both...or frm entire franchise...

The whole DB is funny show imo. If the gags arent funny, even the og jap casts subtle nuances & their portrayal like Kohei Miyauchi, Tanaka Mayumi & our own Nozawa-san is so much fun to watch....

In DBZ, well at any point whenever comedy is there...as sparse as they may be in Saiyan-Cell Arc barring some fillers as Driving Episode or 10 days filler episodes pre- Cell Games like Goku & Tao Pai Pai or Gohan's BD & resting sequences are quite endearing...Majin Arc has plenty of funny moments for sure...

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:51 am

Oh, jeez, there's too much to list for me, really. I think I just really click with Toriyama's style of humor, as the manga's jokes seem to hit better for me even when compared to how they're done in the anime.

As for a specific moment, I will never shut up to anyone who will listen about Yamcha bouncing off the comic panel during his first appearance:
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:52 pm

Food jokes almost always make me laugh, like Goku using up all of Roshi's winnings from the 21st TB.

Another great one is when The Turtle and Crane schools are eating in the same restaurant and annoying each. Roshi slides next to Crane without making a sound then goes back to his chair. Crane is confused about what happened then smells something foul.

And speaking of smells. Kuririn nearly passing out because of Bacterian before Goku reminds him that he doesn't have a nose.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:22 pm

That reminds me, I'm not a fan of the gross toilet humor stuff like f*rt jokes and the like. It's not for me. Also have to turn away during the nose-picking scenes, too gross.

I don't mind the dump jokes though, like Roshi on the flight to the 22nd Budoukai or Goku vs Tianlong in that filler ep. One of my favorites is during the Red Ribbon arc when Roshi uses Bulma's spy robot to check out the women at the beach, but ends up watching a dude taking a shit instead.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:43 am

Honestly never understood what's so funny about Bacterian. For me watching that episode is my equivalent of Mark Kermode's comment about wanting to take a shower after watching Dirty Grandpa because the humour was so gross it made him feel unclean. Even the irony about him being a cook doesn't save it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:09 pm

Some people just really like gross over-the-top shit. That kind of humor is very popular. Also, this stuff is aimed at children, and they *especially* dig that humor.

I agree though about Bacterian. I usually have to mute and fast-forward those scenes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:52 pm

The Bacterian stuff isn't really all that gross.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:15 am

Bacterian was merely basic gross-out humor, however I did cringe when he used the stench of his gonads against Krillin.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:26 pm

Bacterian's gross out humor definitely overstays its welcome, but the payoff with Kuririn needing to be reminded that he doesn't have a nose makes it all worth it.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:22 pm That reminds me, I'm not a fan of the gross toilet humor stuff like f*rt jokes and the like.
what's the point of censoring the word fart?

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:56 am

Now, this is a good post.
I haven't watched DB Super, but that Yamcha baseball joke looks like it would have made me laugh a lot :lol:

Original DB I have watched only about 4 times and I remember laughing at Uulong's and Puar's scenes, maybe roshi, generally to me DB jokes are the kind that would make you exhale harder from your nostrils or have some giggles, but not actually laughing.

For DBZ (my life) I guess it was the GyNiu Forces and later the scenes with kid goten and kid trunks, the part when Bulma and the gang are gathering the Dragon Ball and Video is the only one that actually goes and helps her and let's not forget the times when Gohan was hiding from Videl and mostly the part when Gohan Great Saiyaman is dating the girl that knows his secret and he yells so Videl could not hear him :clap:

And finally for Z, I don't why but this part killed me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFJLPBZLA8
I mean, imagine you are killing a roach at some werehouse or something when suddenly "OH, A chocolate, Imma gonna eat dat" hahhaah he goes down and picks up vegeta because the crab is ON him XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

sighs... today is gonna be a good day

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:05 pm

Gotenk's prank against evil Buu where we pretends to be looking at something cool is brilliant and gets me every time.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:15 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:22 pm That reminds me, I'm not a fan of the gross toilet humor stuff like f*rt jokes and the like.
what's the point of censoring the word fart?
I don't like using that word at all. Similar to me not liking the toilet humor.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:18 am

A part I remember I literally laughed out loud was Goku earnestly cheering/admiring Monaka after the guy crashes on the ring with his head. "Wow! That's the best fighter of the seventh universe for ya!! So unpredictable!!"

And the Bulma's party episode (or BoG) as a whole, really has first rate comedic timing, Whis and Beerus being my favorite aspect (and voice acting especially in english is so great). But really it was all funny and fun, the whole pudding thing, drunk Gohan, Goku ('its an honor for you to meet me' - Beerus: if you say so) and OF COURSE Vegeta lol. When Dende calls him a model citizen and everyone applauds was so funny too
If this episode was turned into a play it would work amazingly