Scanned some books

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El_Robot

Scanned some books

Post by El_Robot » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:54 pm

Scanned this two weeks ago for the gentlemen, was told to post it here because some of you people might like/translate it or whatever, so have at it.
Called "Oishii Shima no Ū-sama" or "Delicious Island's Mr. U".

Do whatever you want with those, don't really care. Would be cool if it got translated though, but given how most of the translated stuff (ie databooks) around this place is just written knowledge and the translated pages are never shown, who knows...

Here for context on this : https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Oish ... C5%AA-sama

Download links :
High quality version (200 MB) :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R5rCp- ... sp=sharing
Low quality version (30 MB) :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10LUI4X ... sp=sharing

Last edited by El_Robot on Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

El_Robot

Re: Scanned some stuff, Oishii Shima no Ū-sama

Post by El_Robot » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:39 pm

Oh yeah, also, highly unlikely to happen, but if anyone feels like helping translate this you can uh... send me a PM in my box or something, I can edit the translations in if I'm provided with the text.

El_Robot

Re: Scanned some stuff, Oishii Shima no Ū-sama

Post by El_Robot » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:14 pm

Well, may as well update for you people here, you never know if it might interest anyone, even if the first one got ignored.
I scanned a few more books I had, here are download links for some of them if you feel like checking them out in mildly high quality :

(links to regularly-in-print and still-widely-available book scans removed by admin team)

If by any chance you had happened to download the first zips I posted for the Delicious Island book, discard those and check the new links I uploaded, the first versions were done before ripping each page to scan them.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Scanned some books

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:15 pm

This is awesome! I was actually thinking about buying and scanning the original VIZ versions of the Dragon Ball manga

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:24 pm

can someone confirm there are no virus?
Please

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:47 pm

Also, for anyone that wants the booklets that came with the "Brick" seasons Funimation ceased in an attempt to cheap out go green, they can be found here.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:41 pm

Once I fully learn Japanese one day I shall translate it.

El_Robot

Post by El_Robot » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm

Figured I might as well just update this thread instead of making a new one.
I got my hand on a decently sized amount of databooks and whatnot at this point, some in Japanese, a few in Chinese and some in other languages.
Anyone knows a place where I could get someone to translate them? I already have some of them ripped and scanned.
Don't mind the crosses, they're not important.
There are a few other books not on the image (RoF movie pamphlet, Super Hero movie Pamphlet, ...), too.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:15 am

Hello! It's extremely unlikely you're going to find anyone (particularly with the necessary talent) to wholesale translate -- for free and without the proper licensing arrangement? -- entire guidebooks, and especially do graphic design work on top of that to lay it all out "scanlation" style (assuming that's what you're aiming for).

(And it's certainly not the case that folks don't already own these books -- we've been around long enough that we remember when these were just coming out and bought them new!)

That said, a huge swath of this content has already been handled here at Kanzenshuu... but we focus primarily on text with real people talking about real-world things, and so this generally means the stuff we've translated and formally archived has been the interviews from these various books. For example, we have:
... and so on and so forth. Most of what we would consider the essential/important stuff is already done!

(Warning: I'm going off on a few tangents here as the words keep flowing, not all necessarily related to your original request!)

It certainly says something, though, that a huge percentage of folks want full translations of all the little character bio minutia and fluff side columns when they talk about these books. The thing is, it's just that: fluff. It leads to things like arguing the semantics of a nothing little line in the back of an animanga; I would argue that stuff has little-to-no importance on the greater franchise or anyone's personal understanding of it, but I can't really seem to get that across, no matter how hard I try and how many years I spend doing it! :lol: It's one of the reasons I kinda want to monkey's paw the whole situation and wish these books were all officially localized internationally from the start, so fans could really see how meaningless a lot of its content really is. There just aren't any other little hidden or secret details tucked away somewhere on a random page that sheds any new light on any content, in-universe or otherwise -- we've already gone through it all.

So I guess I'd ask you to explore our already-existing "Translations" section (there's already such a huge base of work already done!) and to know that we know that there's always more work to do!

There's also this occasional super bizarre thing where folks demand to see the original Japanese pages scanned in addition to our translations. This stuff is widely available out there if you just want to steal and look at it, so you don't need us for that -- what you do on your own time is between you and Dende. We're 100% confident in our work and legacy, and we think it's proven that you can likewise 100% trust the translation work you see there on our web pages. You don't need us walking any more of a fine legal line by distributing unaltered guidebooks alongside our translations -- if you do value the work we've done, surely you can understand why our own original translation text is the only thing you see on those pages beyond an image of the book's cover. Even then, if someone is curious, we're generally happy to share a little photo or something, just not full pages or entire sections of a book. I really, really have to advocate for: if you want to know something specific, just ask!

(... and if you don't value or trust the work we do, why are you even looking at it in the first place, right?! :lol: )

And finally just wanna add that I absolutely wish all of Toriyama's comics would be compiled and released internationally. It's such a shame that we don't even have a fourth "_____piece Theater" in Japan with all of the most "recent" one-shots.

(That... really went off in a bunch of directions! Sorry if that's a little scatterbrained, but it all felt relatively connected and relevant to me as part of a larger discussion about fandom and translation work.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

El_Robot

Post by El_Robot » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:33 am

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:15 am Hello! It's extremely unlikely you're going to find anyone (particularly with the necessary talent) to wholesale translate -- for free and without the proper licensing arrangement? -- entire guidebooks, and especially do graphic design work on top of that to lay it all out "scanlation" style (assuming that's what you're aiming for).
I think you seem to be under the misguided notion that I want people to translate it for free. It's understandable, I should have made it clearer so my bad.
I was already ready to fork out money to hire a translator, I'm just asking here (and in other places) because I'm not very lacking in terms of knowledge when it comes to that.

While I do enjoy using your website to sometimes pull out information, the fact that the only content you show is written interviews is severely limiting. There are times where a lot of interesting content in the books aren't limited to some random Toriyama interview and the fact that you don't allow people to see said content disappoints me, which is why I'd rather handle what I can handle as an individual myself and grab from other similar individuals.

Let us take your Perfect Files Interview link as an example. There's so much more to the book than just the Nozawa interview, it's 200 pages by counting the two books, come on.

No one wants to go through WORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS of text without any visuals to connect it to like here, either viewtopic.php?t=14812 (well, there's always someone but I believe you get my point).
Having images to associate with the text is always good.

As for whether the stuff you consider to be "fluff" is worthless or not, why not leave it up to everyone? Who are you decide that? Even without those books, you're always going to have people arguing about semantics and there's ALWAYS going to be worthless discussions that go nowhere because there's already 20 different dubs, 20 different subs, anime filler, the manga and a bunch of different canons. Those books not being shown will not change that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:44 am

I really appreciate your response. It's great to have a candid conversation about this stuff with someone so clearly invested and energized about it. There are definitely a few points I want to address and clarifications to make.

With regard to interviews in these books, the majority tend to look like this:

There's literally nothing BUT text on these pages. Sometimes there might be a profile photo for the subject/interviewee, but that's about it.

In this case, I'm not sure what value there is in us walking any more of a legal fine line by sharing the entire contents of the book/interview with our website visitors. If you already can't read the Japanese text in the first place — which is why you're reading our translation — looking at a full page of Japanese text isn't going to help you understand anything any better.

(And it's worth noting that the Japanese companies are the regularly-litigious and still-in-business ones, and have even sent us takedown notices in the past... on material they themselves provided! This is in opposition to since-shutdown American media who don't gave a rat's ass about their ancient material, and is why you'll notice in our "Press Archive" we share thumbnails of the pages alongside our transcriptions.)

That said, we do a lot of (what I believe is fairly underappreciated) formatting work in a lot of our interview translations:
  • In this Momoiro Clover Z interview translation, we matched the colors and font weight from the original print
  • In this "Episode of Bardock" translation where Gine was first revealed, we matched the font weight (those bold phrases) from the original print (which, hilariously, I remember someone accusing us of trying to push some agenda by bolding certain words above others... I have no idea what that agenda might have been!)
Additionally, when images are relevant and important to the understanding of the what's being said, we absolutely will include them (either snippets or sometimes full pages where necessary):
Truth be told, I think many folks haven't actually examined the wealth of material that we have on the site, and instead make up their own (unfounded) stories to fit whatever position they've already established for themselves about who we are and what we do.

(And, again, at the end of the day if you want to buy or steal these books to see the full pages yourself, you don't need our help to do that. The larger internet as a whole already has you covered.)
wrote:No one wants to go through WORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS of text without any visuals to connect it to like here, either viewtopic.php?t=14812 (well, there's always someone but I believe you get my point).
Real important point to make: that is not a page on our website. That is a forum post.

In terms of what we feel is important to translate vs. what is "fluff", sure, that's a judgement call: and it's our call to make on our site. I'm absolutely 1000% for you or anyone else going off and translating and sharing information about whatever it is you like. The more the merrier, so long as it's done competently, right? As for us, we think information about the production of the franchise and who said what about it in which place at what time is infinitely more important than fully translating multi-page columns that simply describe the events of the show... because that's what a lot of these books are, and goes back to my point about wishing they were all officially localized from the start so more fans could truly see how fluffy they are.

Another EXTREMELY important point I want to make is: we're never done. Just because the one thing you see in the "Translations" archive from the Perfect Files is the Nozawa interview doesn't mean we're done with it -- it just means that's all we've done so far.

We have DOZENS of things — interviews, columns, etc. — all in various stages of acquisition (i.e., buying the actual physical volume to independently confirm it is real and says what it's supposed to say), transcribed, translated, and then formatted for the website. And they're from all points in time, too! We have things running the gamut from this 1985 Comic Box "Akira Toriyama's Delicious Days" interview, all the way up through things like the Super manga interview from I think two V-Jumps ago. There are only so many of us that work on this site that have the necessary skills (and even then our translator base has grown recently!), and we work on our own timeline; Kanzenshuu is, of course, a labor of love, not our job, and something we all do in our limited free time.

Hopefully that sheds a little more light on the process and what our site actually does. I again want to say I appreciate your response and hope this helps a lot!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

El_Robot

Post by El_Robot » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:44 am I really appreciate your response. It's great to have a candid conversation about this stuff with someone so clearly invested and energized about it. There are definitely a few points I want to address and clarifications to make.
Apologies for the late reply.
I am aware of the fact that some of the books can get a little out of hand with the amount of text, I've translated a couple of them myself for a group of people I like to share this content with and it can be quite a lot of work.

I can also understand your issues with the law and Japanese people, who have an extremely different way of seeing copyright than we do (see the Mark fiasco if you know it, they were all against him and with Toei, lol).

I'm grateful for the amount of content that you guys archive and provide for all to see, we're only individuals after all, not everyone can get their hands on a volume of Bird Land Press and other similarly elusive books.

However, I hope that you can understand how frustrating it can be to know that we only get to see the tip of the iceberg more often than not and will not get to see much more than that. I don't mean to throw rocks at anyone here, but it leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth when you see something you want to know more about, like let's say... Mysterious Rain Jack or AWAWA World and you got someone that's just sitting on it and only shows the parts they believe should be shown (and more often than not it's in some crappy resolution and/or plastered in watermarks) to then leave it at that.

Anyhow, unless there is more to be said, I got the message that I can't post scans of what I possess here, I'll try my luck somewhere else, thanks for the talk.