Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 104 - GT 11-15

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 104 - GT 11-15

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 104 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before (GT sounds great in stereo!), but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

It's been my turn for PC troubles this week! My computer wouldn't turn on the past few days, but I identified and replaced the broken part (much to my relief earlier today; it was the power supply, but I was worried it would turn out to be the motherboard). Sadly this means I'm a little behind (I'd planned to watch the GT episodes on Saturday for trivia) and the thread has ended up being a pretty late posting, but KBABZ was able to solo write a lovely chunk of trivia for you all to enjoy this week, with some editing advised by myself.

Previous thread: Week 103 (GT 6-10)
Next thread: Week 105 (GT 16-20)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 455 - Lood’s Curse?! Pan Turned into a Doll (GT episode 11)
Ocean dub title: Luud's Curse?!: Pan is Turned into a Doll!
Funimation dub title: Lord Luud's Curse
Originally aired 8th of May 1996

Written by: Masashi Kubota
Episode director: Kazuhito Kikuchi
Animation supervisor: Akira Inagami

Pan once again becomes a damsil in distress, this time to an especially creepy villain.

Trivia:

Episode 456 - The Oracle of God is Super-Annoying!! Lood Maneuvers (GT episode 12)
Ocean dub title: The Oracle from the God is a Great Nuisance: Luud Starts Up!
Funimation dub title: The Last Oracle of Luud
Originally aired 15th of May 1996

Written by: Masashi Kubota
Episode director: Osamu Kasai
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Goku and Trunks fight a whip.

Trivia:

Episode 457 - This Guy’s in Charge?! Mysterious Scientist Mu (GT episode 13)
Ocean dub title: The Mysterious Dr. Myuu!
Funimation dub title: The Man Behind the Curtain
Originally aired 22nd of May 1996

Written by: Aya Matsui
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

Goku and Trunks fight the big bad while the big bad's boss awakens; meanwhile, the big bad's boss's boss reports to the big bad's boss's boss's boss (who is secretly working for the big bad's boss's boss's boss's boss, but we won't meet him until like episode 20).

Trivia:

Episode 458 - Get the Rhythm Perfect?! The Strategy to Defeat Lood!! (GT episode 14)
Ocean dub title: His Rhythm is Perfect! The Luud Strategy.
Funimation dub title: The Battle Within
Originally aired 5th of June 1996

Written by: Shinobu Ōito
Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Yūji Hakamada

Goku and Pan defeat Lord Lood with the secret of all good comedTIMINGy.

Trivia:

Episode 459 - I’m Running Away!! Pan’s Desertion?! (GT episode 15)
Ocean dub title: Pan Runs Away!
Funimation dub title: Beginning of the End
Originally aired 12th of June 1996

Written by: Shinobu Ōito
Episode director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi
Animation supervisor: Toshiyuki Kan’no

Pan Runs Away.

Trivia:
____

Trivia written by KBABZ. Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 104 - GT 11-15 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:47 pm

Dolltaki is certainly something…

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:30 pm

Awwww Yeahhhh!!! Isss DOLTAKKI TIME BAY-BEE!!!!!!!

So I like Doltakki. He's a fun villain and also a memorable one.

Hirotaka Suzuoki (Tenshinhan) gives a good performance in the role. I like how he's clearly evil but also childlike and petulant. And it's nice that they gave the actor something to do. This works much better than his horrible Budokai Announcer from the Boo arc.

Doltakki's scenes with Pan are probably the highlight of these episodes. While certainly a little troubling, they are also very well crafted. I love the attention to detail inside Doltakki's special room. From the older dolls that he pushes aside to the tiny dresses that he delicately pulls from out the tiny closets. It's all hilariously disturbing and Suzuoki's performance is infectiously creepy.

The thing that really makes it all work though is again, Yūko Minaguchi as Pan. Seeing her little lifeless doll body being tossed about while hearing Pan's inner thoughts of increasing distress and gross-out is wonderful. It definitely makes everything that much creepier and that much funnier. The whole thing feels like an old Twilight Zone episode or something. And yes, the shirt-lifting scene is very troublesome, but I do still appreciate the humor in Pan being completely flat-chested during that moment. Overall, these are very memorable scenes from GT, and while they are understandably unpopular among many fans, I found them enjoyable upon rewatch.

As for the rest, I enjoyed seeing Goku and Trunks fight a damn whip lol.

Lood was a cool boss villain. He should be in a video game if he ain't already. Watching these episodes, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly a Machine Mutant actually is...

I enjoyed Doltakki's death scene and the introduction to General Rilld. Very ominous. I couldn't figure out though just how exactly Doltakki was killed. At first I thought his entire head was blown off, but then you see his body lying there with what looks to be his jaw still attached. Maybe only the top half of his head was blown off?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:37 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:30 pm Awwww Yeahhhh!!! Isss DOLTAKKI TIME BAY-BEE!!!!!!!

Doltakki's scenes with Pan are probably the highlight of these episodes. While certainly a little troubling, they are also very well crafted.

The thing that really makes it all work though is again, Yūko Minaguchi as Pan. Seeing her little lifeless doll body being tossed about while hearing Pan's inner thoughts of increasing distress and gross-out is wonderful.

And yes, the shirt-lifting scene is very troublesome, but I do still appreciate the humor in Pan being completely flat-chested during that moment.
I'm sorry but what the FUCK. I'm guessing you're also overly-excited for the deer suckling scene at the start of the Baby Arc??? This is disgusting.
Last edited by KBABZ on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:38 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:30 pm Awwww Yeahhhh!!! Isss DOLTAKKI TIME BAY-BEE!!!!!!!
[...]
Doltakki's scenes with Pan are probably the highlight of these episodes.
[...]
Seeing her little lifeless doll body being tossed about while hearing Pan's inner thoughts of increasing distress and gross-out is wonderful.
What the fuck, dude?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:40 am

This whole part of GT is really weird to me, like I can't get invested in any of the characters. Doll Taki is a pedo (and his design is atrocious), the Para Para Brothers are annoying(and their design doesn't work for me), and Mutchi is a... whip, lol. Lood is a giant robot baby. But I like the idea, the cult, the planet, how it is connected to the Mutant planet and Baby... thing is the fighting is not interesting to me at all.

Toei was really overusing the term hakaishin. First, Cell, then this giant baby, if it were up to them, a lizard would also have gotten the job.

And yeah, I'm not surprised with what has been stated above. At all.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:43 am

To be honest, I quite like the Para Para Bros. They overstay their welcome a little, but I still enjoy them for the most part.

The best part is the cult and Lood. A shorter version of this run of episodes with no Dolltakki, where Mutchi reports directly to Mu or Rildo, and where the Para Para Bros. part is shorter and thus allowed to be a little bit of fun, would be a lot better.
But honestly, Dolltakki aside, I do enjoy these episodes despite their flaws.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:51 am

My favourite part of the Luud saga was the final episode where Pan had to work with her grandpa to destroy it. That's some proper character interaction and development there; Pan hugging Goku at the end is so satisfying after those episodes where she first didn't even want to look at him.

Episode 15 is the star of the show because of how back to basics the story is. While the idea of Gill defeating the ant lion is both rather implausible and handled entirely off-screen, the runaway plot works because of its focus on Pan and her feelings. I also really like the observatory scene on the Octopus ship; Pan giving up on abusing Gill makes her feel mentally defeated, and the purple colouring throughout makes the scene stand out because Dragon Ball so rarely does lighting that way.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:55 am

Hirotaka Suzuoki (Tenshinhan) gives a good performance in the role. I like how he's clearly evil but also childlike and petulant. And it's nice that they gave the actor something to do. This works much better than his horrible Budokai Announcer from the Boo arc.

Doltakki's scenes with Pan are probably the highlight of these episodes. While certainly a little troubling, they are also very well crafted. I love the attention to detail inside Doltakki's special room. From the older dolls that he pushes aside to the tiny dresses that he delicately pulls from out the tiny closets. It's all hilariously disturbing and Suzuoki's performance is infectiously creepy.

The thing that really makes it all work though is again, Yūko Minaguchi as Pan. Seeing her little lifeless doll body being tossed about while hearing Pan's inner thoughts of increasing distress and gross-out is wonderful. It definitely makes everything that much creepier and that much funnier. The whole thing feels like an old Twilight Zone episode or something. And yes, the shirt-lifting scene is very troublesome, but I do still appreciate the humor in Pan being completely flat-chested during that moment. Overall, these are very memorable scenes from GT, and while they are understandably unpopular among many fans, I found them enjoyable upon rewatch.

As for the rest, I enjoyed seeing Goku and Trunks fight a damn whip lol.

Lood was a cool boss villain. He should be in a video game if he ain't already. Watching these episodes, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly a Machine Mutant actually is...

I enjoyed Doltakki's death scene and the introduction to General Rilld. Very ominous. I couldn't figure out though just how exactly Doltakki was killed. At first I thought his entire head was blown off, but then you see his body lying there with what looks to be his jaw still attached. Maybe only the top half of his head was blown off?
Shit My Visionity Says.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:12 am

I also like that the cult and their facilities remind me of the "cult" from Danny Boyle's The Beach. Or maybe the other way around.
There are many nods to real life movies, intentional or not, like Trunks in carbonite and I think when they are following the Brothers into some caves on some planet there's a similar scene in A New Hope.

Well, you couldn't go into space in the 90s without referencing SW.

I also really liked PAN RUNS AWAY.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:44 pm

Aaaand we're back!

Episode 11: Lood’s Curse?! Pan Turned into a Doll

Positives:
-One of my biggest issues with GT has always been how Toei rather consistently used Pan, the first female fighting character to remain a consistent member of the core cast, as a "damsel in distress", and of course, the most uncomfortable instance of that is coming up next episode. All that being said, I do appreciate, at least here, the fact that she takes an active role in the plot, in spite of her circumstances of being separated from the others, going after the Six-Star Ball. It doesn't completely fix the issue, but it does make it come off a little better, imo, and I felt it worth mentioning.

-Leion has a pretty cool design, even if it is mostly just a palette swapped lion. And it's...really fluidly animated for some reason. Can't wait to see what they do with i--

-Okay, yeah, the gag with them building up Leion only for Goku to unceremoniously and effortlessly take him out is pretty funny. The dramatic music placement leading up to it helps sell it, too.

-I'm still enjoying the Para Para Brothers, they're pretty fun characters, and I liked the gag with Son Para accidentally blurting out that the ship was going to Lood.

Negatives:
-Okay, I've said this before and I hate to be a broken record, but, good lord Pan's treatment of Gill is insufferable. It's not funny, it's not endearing, and it hurts her likeability as a character.

-Mutchi's design is the first in a recurring issue I have with some of GT's villains feeling "over-designed".

-Oh god, Dolltaki is coming up. I'll...have a few choice words for this coming up.

Neutral/Observations:
-This is our great god of destruction, Lood-sama. lol

Also, yeah, what the actual fuck, MyVisionity.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:14 pm

It's just like I said, there's a lot to appreciate about the Doltakki scenes in spite of the troubling content. I don't think there's anything "disgusting" about that point.

There's plenty of humor and the creep factor is just right. I enjoyed it, and in large part due to the interplay between Doltakki and Pan.

Honestly, it's a well done sequence thanks to everyone involved, and probably one of my favorite parts of GT. The questionable content doesn't change any of that for me personally.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:38 pm

I don’t see how there’s anything to “enjoy” about Dolltaki’s scenes with Pan. If they’re intended to be creepy, then they certainly succeeded, but how is that enjoyable?

Dolltaki in general feels out of place in a story like Dragon Ball.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:38 pm I don’t see how there’s anything to “enjoy” about Dolltaki’s scenes with Pan. If they’re intended to be creepy, then they certainly succeeded, but how is that enjoyable?
Creepy has always been enjoyable in fiction. The audience is supposed to feel scared, or uncomfortable, or tense and so on. It's just another component of storytelling and entertainment.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:27 pm

These episodes had some cool moments, like Trunks going SS1 to lift the tiles, Goku's short fight with Mutchi, the Goku/Trunks team up vs Luud, and the genuinely funny way they beat Luud with the food chant. They even tie the chant thing in again during the Super 17 arc.

Mutchi's design is also cool and reminds me of Imperfect Cell. I do find it strange how Goku and Trunks power down from Super Saiyan so prematurely during the fight with Luud, staying in base for the rest of the fight.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am

Oh now, the infamous dorutaki (that's how they called it in mexico and it took me long enough to figure out it "doru" was the "doll".
Seeing her little lifeless doll body being tossed about while hearing Pan's inner thoughts of increasing distress and gross-out is wonderful.
It is a very stressing scene, considering the fact that I was like 12 when I first watched it, it's child abuse and it is beyond creepy. I agree with the fellow that commented earlier that they would place Pan back at a damsel in distress position, rather than a main role so it is sort of a fail, so why did they do it?

Honestly I think it was a little bit of... let's call it twisted fan service from Toei Animation because let's face it in Japan there are many men who enjoy Loli so we could have one case of JarJarBinks, where George Lucas confessed having created that character to represent the way he sees fans of the franchise, perhaps Doltaki is the way Toei sees the guys that are after Pan... i'm just Saiyan...

PS.Sorry for bringing SW every so often, can't helpt it. My relatives call it "the other dragon ball" because of how I get with it as well XD

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am Oh now, the infamous dorutaki (that's how they called it in mexico and it took me long enough to figure out it "doru" was the "doll".
Yeah, the Ocean dub used that name too.

For the record, Funimation called him Daltaki, so it seems neither dub could quite get that name right. :lol:
Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am PS.Sorry for bringing SW every so often, can't helpt it. My relatives call it "the other dragon ball" because of how I get with it as well XD
No need to apologise for using your own interests to make your ideas more approachable, and there's no shame in harmlessly enjoying things a lot. :)

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:17 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am PS.Sorry for bringing SW every so often, can't helpt it. My relatives call it "the other dragon ball" because of how I get with it as well XD
It's okay, those two franchises are really easy to compare with each other. I often think of Dragon Ball as being "Japanese Star Wars" because of how both franchises seem to occupy the same position in the pop culture landscape.

Also, in case you're wondering, "Japanese Star Trek" is Gundam. :wink:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:07 pm

ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:17 pm
It's okay, those two franchises are really easy to compare with each other. I often think of Dragon Ball as being "Japanese Star Wars" because of how both franchises seem to occupy the same position in the pop culture landscape.

Also, in case you're wondering, "Japanese Star Trek" is Gundam. :wink:
Yeah, Dragon Ball and Star Wars compliment one another quite well. Despite having different settings they are both at heart fun fantasy adventure tales. The concept of ki energy also shares the same philosophies as using the force. Both also lend themselves to orchestral scores more than any other type of music.

Gundam is definitely more in line with Star Trek as both take a more grounded approach (which I'll say is not necessarily better, just less lighthearted) to storytelling.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:17 pm

And getting cancelled and then uncancelled via reruns and movies!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: