About AB's remastering process of their upcoming DB release on BD

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

About AB's remastering process of their upcoming DB release on BD

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:33 am

I had reasons to have some faith in this being a proper remaster from 16 mm films as AB is the only country in Europe to have films of DB. But now, I guess not. At least if we're to believe Animeguides and Jetblack on twitter.

I asked today on twitter if AB would do a new scan of the movies, or the DB TV series (that are supposed to come out at the end of this year) and how their remastering process is. I was told to ask Gib'(animeguides) as AB's twitter is supposedly managed by a company for AB... He is as far as I know someone who has worked with AB before, or is in close touch with them. I am not 100% sure.

Here was his reply:
Toutes les oeuvres suivent le même process : Mediawan récupère l’image auprès des japonais, puis restaure l’audio VF (et non l’image), insère les crédits VF et fait créer un sous-titrage. Pour les films, vous pouvez déjà voir le résultat sur Mangas. ☺️
Translation: Everything goes through the same process: Mediawan gets the image from the japanese, then restore the french dub (and not the image), insert french credits and make sub titles. For the movies, you can already see the result on Mangas. *Note: Mangas is a TV channel AB owns.
Source:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AnimeGuides/ ... 8889200640

Animeguides hasn't to this yet, but "Jetblack" did saying AB isn't doing a new scan. I am not sure how close this Jetblack is with AB, so I will wait until Animeguides replies (if he replies). In worst case we will have to wait until the BDs for the TV series are out.

I hope this doesn't mean that we will get shitty upscales because Toei won't let AB do their own remaster. Or let anyone do their remasters again after how FUNimation failed with their remasters. You'd think Toei wouldn't care but... Who knows?

Edit: updates. Animeguides replied saying he never said AB will be processing the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z TV series this way. For whatever reason he said in his reply that he was simply pointing out how the process usually goes:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AnimeGuides/ ... 5379898371
Je n’ai pas dit cela, j’ai simplement rappelé le process habituel.
What the hell does this mean? I tried asking a reply on twitter to see if he's not allowed to talk about it. Maybe it could be he was assuming they're doing it that way but AB is doing it another way? I guess we will have to wait with patience. My hopes felt pretty crushed at first though. But now I have to admit I have a slight light of hope again. I guess a good indication of the process will be however the GT special ends up looking. Or if AB actually upload unedited footage (which is very unlikely knowing how they communicate).

For wthatever reason.
Last edited by sangofe on Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: About AB's remastering process of their upcoming DB release on BD

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 am

It will be the same kind of shitty DBox upscale as SelectaVision gave us, if that quote is anything to go by.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:26 pm

That seems to be the case in most releases over there for the most part, as in just slap the Dragon Box footage more or less as is upscaled to BD and call it a day.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:39 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:26 pm That seems to be the case in most releases over there for the most part, as in just slap the Dragon Box footage more or less as is upscaled to BD and call it a day.

What do you mean by "most releases over there for the most part"? Elaborate.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:33 am Toei won't let AB do their own remaster. Or let anyone do their remasters again after how FUNimation failed with their remasters. You'd think Toei wouldn't care but... Who knows?
Funimation has put out shitty "Remastered" versions of DBZ for nearly 15 years now, and Toei has never stopped them. This will have 100% been an AB decision.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm
sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:33 am Toei won't let AB do their own remaster. Or let anyone do their remasters again after how FUNimation failed with their remasters. You'd think Toei wouldn't care but... Who knows?
Funimation has put out shitty "Remastered" versions of DBZ for nearly 15 years now, and Toei has never stopped them. This will have 100% been an AB decision.
I wrote before "I hope". I didn't say that as a truth, Robo. But I guess you're right...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:08 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:39 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:26 pm That seems to be the case in most releases over there for the most part, as in just slap the Dragon Box footage more or less as is upscaled to BD and call it a day.

Ok, i mean to say that quite a few releases of the series on Blu-ray in Europe use the Dragon Box masters (upscaled or no but mostly the former) and not true HD masters transferred from film. The Dragon Boxes are standard definition transfers of Toei's 1st generation 16mm masters that are pushing almost 20 years old and even with upscaling it's not a genuine HD version.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm

I feel like we shouldn't be so judgmental of smaller companies doing their best not to butcher the shows and give us something presentable when the big shots over at Toei and Funi give us straight up trash, tho granted, the latter is much, much guiltier. An upscale of the Dragon Box is a pretty good deal, all things considered. If we're to get an actual genuine remaster done to its most proper form, the ball is on Toei's court. And they don't even seem willing to give us decent audio, much less visuals.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:22 pm

BlueChi wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm I feel like we shouldn't be so judgmental of smaller companies doing their best not to butcher the shows and give us something presentable when the big shots over at Toei and Funi give us straight up trash, tho granted, the latter is much, much guiltier. An upscale of the Dragon Box is a pretty good deal, all things considered. If we're to get an actual genuine remaster done to its most proper form, the ball is on Toei's court. And they don't even seem willing to give us decent audio, much less visuals.
True, the Dbox masters are decent. Not the best ever but still good if nothing else.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:08 pm

Ok, i mean to say that quite a few releases of the series on Blu-ray in Europe use the Dragon Box masters (upscaled or no but mostly the former) and not true HD masters transferred from film. The Dragon Boxes are standard definition transfers of Toei's 1st generation 16mm masters that are pushing almost 20 years old and even with upscaling it's not a genuine HD version.
But there's only been one company in one country so far that has released Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 am

But there's only been one company in one country so far that has released Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray.
I saw in AnimeAjay vid most Asian countries dnt even have companies that releases DragonBall BD. Maybe it was applicable to 30th Anniversary alone, but even as of now I'm searchin nationwide for DBZ/DB Blu-Ray, most to most available is DVD. Considerin how Blu-Ray even for movies like F&F, Star Wars, Avatar are incidental findings frm some select few shops. Even that has clsed after COVID-19 & with booming Netflix/Prime OTT's.

Luckily I was introduced by a close pal I knew frm in twitter to specific website...and I managed to access BD DBZ & HD DVD for DragonBall☺️✨

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 am

Vijay wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 am

I saw in AnimeAjay vid most Asian countries dnt even have companies that releases DragonBall BD. Maybe it was applicable to 30th Anniversary alone, but even as of now I'm searchin nationwide for DBZ/DB Blu-Ray, most to most available is DVD. Considerin how Blu-Ray even for movies like F&F, Star Wars, Avatar are incidental findings frm some select few shops. Even that has clsed after COVID-19 & with booming Netflix/Prime OTT's.

Luckily I was introduced by a close pal I knew frm in twitter to specific website...and I managed to access BD DBZ & HD DVD for DragonBall☺️✨

Other than Funimation bds and Selecta vision upscales?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:07 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnimeGuides/ ... 5379898371

I don't know why AnimeGuides replies like this, but he said he didn't say it would be upscales, just that he pointed out the normal process... I asked again in his reply.