Who produced the Big Green dubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Who produced the Big Green dubs?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:08 pm

It's often assumed to have been AB Groupe, based on the following comment from the actor who played Goku himself:
David Gasman wrote:Yo, I do play some of the games I'm in.
As for Z, none of us knew the series at all when we did it. I bought a ton of eps and watched them after, but it was too late.
We could have been SO MUCH BETTER if we'd known what the hell we we were doing. AB was in a hurry and we kind of just showed up and ripped through them. I'm actually sort of proud that they are even as good they are.
I'd love to do Rayman again.
Thanks for all the love,
David Gasman
That said, an old veteran of these forums confirmed some time ago that fans from the old UKDB site enquired at the time, and were told AB didn't produce these dubs, but instead it was the Dutch company Bridge Entertainment.

Though oddly enough, it's been said on these forums by fans that emailed two sources from Bridge (namely Anne Bijl and Sjef Scholte) that the company didn't dub these movies and specials and they didn't know who did. Nonetheless Sjef Scholte later said the dubs were done by "the original owner", which begs the question - were TOEI behind the Big Green dub?

At first I thought it would be odd if TOEI themselves commissioned a dub with changes like the Dragon Ball's being "crystal balls" and saiyans being "space warriors" but then I remembered many European dubs were based off the French version, so it could have been a translation error that was left as is (though it was partly fixed later, as the Big Green dub of the GT special used the correct pronunciation for saiyan). On the other hand it would be a financial risk for TOEI to do a dub themselves.

Its known that Big Green dub cast featured actors who were in Chris Colorado and Code Lyoko, so maybe anyone who is familiar with those shows might have a clue?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Who produced the Big Green dubs?

Post by Nagyzöld » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:51 pm

Let that dub alone!

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Who produced the Big Green dubs?

Post by Gilby1385 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:13 am

According to the Dubbing Wiki, these dubs were produced by Chinkel Post-Production.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.