Are kids being forced to like Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Are kids being forced to like Dragon Ball?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 am

I very much doubt it. If it was it would have flopped in ratings with kids. Cartoon Network Brasil had 3 million viewers with Super and only stopped airing it due to a controversy. And kids like Dragon Ball just fine without any parent forcing them.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Are kids being forced to like Dragon Ball?

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:03 am

That's Super though, a modern anime contemporary with today's children. If it were the original 80s/90s anime then that might be a different story.

And even if they weren't forced into watching the originals, then it's possibly only because of Super that they go back and check them out on their own. Would they even bother without Super?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:09 am

Dragon Ball Z Kai had gangbuster ratings too! And keep in mind the only reason Z isnt the version used is because its too violent for the channels,NOT the children.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:11 am

Its pretty common trend nowadays to jump into popular bandwagon, that bein said: DBS 2-3 years back & everyone was talkin abt it. UI, Jiren, then dbs Broly whatnot.

Even for a country that doesnt have Blu-Ray edition of sorts, there are lots of DBS related toys/merchandise, games, posters, T-shirts around

But thats dbs. Personally not a fan.

I dont think kids can be forced to like DragonBall. Let them watch a single fight or episode, they'll automatically tune-in😂 its that awesome

Ofc, not speakin of wannabe elitist kiddos that expect literature/God-level plot

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:47 am

I don't think I understand what you mean...are you saying parents are making kids watch Dragon Ball? I think jjgp1112 had a few harsh words about that...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 am

No, you can't be forced into liking anything. You can be made to watch something, but not like it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 am

This is such a weird thread

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:37 am

Forced to like? What do you mean? You can't force anyone to like as others have said. For me it all started with my daugther walking past me when I was watching Dragon Ball Super one day and she wanted to see more. Since then we have seen all original Dragon Ball, and up until the Freeza saga in Kai. We have almost read the whole manga too (watching for the last volume in Norwegian from the library).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:40 am

Never heard any cases of it myself, there was one case of a parent who initiated a Facebook campaign to have his son named after Goku and was successful, but as of yet I've heard nothing about that child being forced to like the series, and I doubt he will be. I'd never force my own kids if I had any, but I'd absolutely recommend it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 am This is such a weird thread
What is so weird about it? Its an straightforward and simple question. And its better than THIS thread.

viewtopic.php?t=30767

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:57 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 am This is such a weird thread
What is so weird about it? Its an straightforward and simple question. And its better than THIS thread.

viewtopic.php?t=30767
That...subject was "explored" a tad too much, I say.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:12 pm

That sounds like a marketing strategy. I can't say for sure, but I really hope not.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:41 pm

Title: "Are kids being forced to like Dragon Ball?"

OP: "I very much doubt it."

Well I guess we're done here.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:17 pm

Cartoon Network Brasil has DBS? Cartoon Network UK version never had Dragon Ball Super, heck it has zero anime period. The only cartoons it has they are 10 minutes or less.

Cartoon Network UK just spams so much TTG, they only like cheap cartoons that are bad quality.

Kids nowadays are free to watch anything, thanks to the internet. They are not limited to what is on TV. Thanks to the internet we can watch the latest episode and there is no such thing as missing it and having to wait for rerun.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:48 am

You are still lucky, because the highest rated channel still airs Dragon Ball Super: POP!

But yes, CN aired Super but the Roshi controversy got it cancelled and moved to Warner Channel.