Has Toriyama retconned the “Ultimate Gohan”?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Re: Has Toriyama retconned the “Ultimate Gohan”?

Post by Aim » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:08 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:33 am I think it's important to factor in a major element of all forms: drawing out potential.

All Saiyans have greater wells of potential they can tap into via various forms, with Super Saiyan being the most basic form of it. They all inherently have this power if they've trained enough, but it's not something they can usually access without the actual transformation, yeah?

Even as far as Ultra Instinct, this power is something Goku had to reach DEEP DEEP WITHIN to achieve, but it was ultimately there after such a long martial arts career.

But what happens when you pull all of your current potential out at once? You can't exactly go past the very limit of your limit beyond training it, right? And wasn't Gohan's Ultimate State basically this? Pulling out all of his latent potential out at once to its very limits (at the time)? What I think people miss is that it's a special state for Gohan specifically due to the Elder Kaioshin's ritual, giving him a way to access his maximum full power without needing other standard Super Saiyan transformations.

In essence, what we're looking at is Gohan having a "cheat" in a sense to be able to use all of his latent power without needing complicated transformations. I don't think they don't stack because, well, Ultimate is just him using the full well of power while his Super Saiyan forms only draw out some of it. Gohan can either draw out some of his power with Super Saiyan (2) and physically transform, or just draw out all of it with Ultimate while not having his body physically change.
Okay that makes sense, I always thought people meant that it drew out all his potential without having to train ever again, but then that wouldn’t make too much sense to me otherwise he’d be stronger than Goku and Vegeta. So basically it brings out as much latent potential as possible, unleashes it along with the multiplier he would get from going SS and SS2, so there’s no reason to transform, but he can still train on top of it I’m guessing. That’s an interesting concept, no stamina drain from SS, the power is already brought out with no stamina drain. But then it still messes me up, like, thinking from the whole biological view, how could this ki be brought about, surely still going SS would give him strength? Okay I’m thinking too deeply into it now lol