Dr Slump... had character progression?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dr Slump... had character progression?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:59 pm

I just read somewhere that it did. Like Senbei's marriage to Midori and so on.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dr Slump... had character progression?

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:50 am

I wouldn't know. I was never able to get past the transphobia at the beginning of the series. :D
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:30 am

As far as gag character goes.

They're funny & thats all that matters to me.

Senbei coping with Arale's hyperactivity & latter adapting herself with people around her school, cops, animals in Penguin Mura😅🤣 qualifies as character progression I suppose.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:28 am

Not sure I totally understand the question. Like, yeah, things happen to characters over time in Dr. Slump. It's not completely locked in time in that regard. At the same time, characters like Senbei don't really "change" too much in terms of their actual characterization, even if things happen TO them. Senbei is still the same bumbling, lecherous, occasionally-accidentally-brilliant dumbo he is in chapter 1 by the time you're 200 chapters in; he just happens to be married with more "kids" by that point, and can "manage" the crazy things around him a little better (maybe?!) by that point.

I really, really, really recommend you check out Dr. Slump to really learn about and appreciate who Toriyama is as an author, because Dragon Ball is the anomaly, not the norm, for him. If it's available to you, that $2/month Viz vault subscription gets you all of Slump, all of Dragon Ball, the entire newly-translated Manga Theater... there's so much for you these days! I can't even imagine trying to go back in time to my younger self and saying "yeah you can just take this super computer out of your pocket and read Pink if you want".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:54 am

I'm sorry to say I would LOVE to read Dr Slump but I dont live in the USA so I cant do what you suggested. Also wouldnt Goku be the same as Senbei as things just happen to him without him changing at all.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:51 pm

It does and it doesn't. Characters are not a clean slate every chapter, but they don't really have defined character arcs. If this makes sense Dr. Slump is more like King of the Hill than the Simpsons. Things happen people remember those things there is marriage and some aging but the moon and village are destroyed multiple times and reset a chapter later.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:35 pm

Senbei's accidental proposal is one of the funniest moments of any of Toriyama's works. Dr. Slump is Important (though the anime adaptations, not so much).

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:43 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:54 am I'm sorry to say I would LOVE to read Dr Slump but I dont live in the USA so I cant do what you suggested. Also wouldnt Goku be the same as Senbei as things just happen to him without him changing at all.
Even if you don't live in the USA, I guess your can get a Dr. Slump manga edition in your country, since the author is the most popular mangaka in the story. I don't know where do you live but if is a latin-american country, I'm sure you can access to the manga since Toriyama is a loved idol in Latin America. I don't know if English is your first language, but if so, I guess there would be english editions of Dr. Slump in your country.

About your question, in Dr. Slump characters always had the same personality, but when time runs, they make new friends, get jobs, get married, etc.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 am

I looked online and sadly I could not find any official stuff available to me in Paraguay. Latin America thinks Dragon Ball is what Toriyama is all about sadly.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:11 am

Less so than DB, but yes, it has milestone events and a basic continuity that Toriyama adheres to and develops.