How can i meet a woman who likes anime / cosplay / Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How can i meet a woman who likes anime / cosplay / Dragon Ball?

Post by Peach » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:07 am

29 here, going on 30. Anime has been a big part of my life since i was a kid. I've always wanted to just be with someone i can chill with, talk anime, and watch the stuff with. My first kiss was actually with a girl dressed as L Lawliet at Youmacon 2009. I want to participate in couples cosplays.

Any advice on what to do?
Last edited by Peach on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: How can i meet a woman who likes anime / cosplay / Dragon Ball?

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 am

Go to anime events and make friends (from experience people are very friendly in such places), exchange contacts, chat, then eventually ask out.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:06 am

I see many DB/anime fans are gamers also, so maybe through online gaming?
My cousin met her latest 2 boyfriends through online gaming. She had like a 3yr relationship with the first one and some months ago she met who she says is the love of her life, he actually changed universities and moved to her town to be with her. So playing online seems like a solid way for finding soulmates from what I've observed lol

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 am

mute_proxy wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 am Go to anime events and make friends (from experience people are very friendly in such places), exchange contacts, chat, then eventually ask out.
Not a bad idea. I'm worried i might feel out of place at 29/30 though. Not to mention, coronavirus is still going on and large gatherings are a little dangerous.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 am

My bi self met all my girlfriends through forums and Twitter. Of course, we also had relatively established relationships before starting to date. My advice would be to look out first and foremost for a girlfriend who has qualities more important that shared hobbies (kind, etc.).

Honestly, I don't know how people do it. Some people date co-workers or classmates. Others use apps, but those are also awkward!

I guess if I had a good answer I'd have a boyfriend right now. Lolz
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 am

Peach wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 am Not a bad idea. I'm worried i might feel out of place at 29/30 though. Not to mention, coronavirus is still going on and large gatherings are a little dangerous.
29/30 isn't anything irregular, trust me, anime people are of all kinds. A family member from wife's side found her fiance in a japanese/anime event when she was around 28, she was cosplaying. Ofcourse he turned out to be somewhat of a psycho, but that's another story :lol:

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:17 pm

Peach wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 am
mute_proxy wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 am Go to anime events and make friends (from experience people are very friendly in such places), exchange contacts, chat, then eventually ask out.
Not a bad idea. I'm worried i might feel out of place at 29/30 though. Not to mention, coronavirus is still going on and large gatherings are a little dangerous.
Nah, as proxy said, late 20s and early 30s are probably completely and utterly mundane and average far as anime events go. You'd be about as out of place as a 16 year old would be in a high school.

Still, I'd probably recommend also using online dating sites and apps as well. SoulGeek is pretty great and active enough to not be useless.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:07 pm

It’s fairly common to see women putting anime as their interest on dating apps. Just swipe right on them.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:41 pm

Peach wrote: ↑Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:07 am 29 here, going on 30. Anime has been a big part of my life since i was a kid. I've always wanted to just be with someone i can chill with, talk anime, and watch the stuff with. My first kiss was actually with a girl dressed as L Lawliet at Youmacon 2009. I want to participate in couples cosplays.

Any advice on what to do?
Practice good hygiene, skin care, take care of your body. You need to be comfortable in your own skin, confidence is the most important thing and it’s universal. The next thing is to just go chat to people, don’t get hung up on dating, try make friends first.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:05 pm

Like others said, go to an anime convention or find hobbies that a woman who likes anime /cosplay / Dragon Ball would have.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kemuri07
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:30 am

Honestly, anime is so popular nowadays that you likely don't have to go anywhere specific to find someone who likes anime.

This ain't the mid 00s anymore--Anime is "almost" cool,now.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:31 pm

Try Hinge or Bumble, I've seen profiles of women who state they like Anime in their bios, some even have cosplay in their profile pics; and they would be right around your age or maybe a couple years younger. Stay away from Tinder though, that app is mainly for hooking up and nothing substantial.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:26 pm

omaro34 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:31 pmStay away from Tinder though, that app is mainly for hooking up and nothing substantial.
Good grief, am I ever learning that right now. 😭😭😭
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:15 pm

I'm a 30 year old woman and I will tell you that you can meet people by simply talking to them in your school, mall, work, etc. People don't bite when you talk to them. You also don't need a GF that likes the same stuff as you do as long they request you as a person. I do know that some women do keep their nerdy hobbies hidden because they want to avoid less attention from gross men that will stalk them. Anime & Manga, comics, video games, and mainstream movies are neckbred bait.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:15 pm I'm a 30 year old woman and I will tell you that you can meet people by simply talking to them in your school, mall, work, etc. People don't bite when you talk to them. You also don't need a GF that likes the same stuff as you do as long they request you as a person. I do know that some women do keep their nerdy hobbies hidden because they want to avoid less attention from gross men that will stalk them. Anime & Manga, comics, video games, and mainstream movies are neckbred bait.

That is exactly it. Apps to meet people are great but there is a whole world filled with people to meet. Approaching strangers may be weird and scary but you'd be surprised how positive people react when you approach them in a kind and sincere way.

Plus, think of how you'd feel if a stranger came up to you and asked you something about what you're wearing or gives you a compliment. That's awesome.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:46 pm

I'm going to suggest treading extremely lightly with trying to approach someone outside of a designated space. Not everyone wants to be hit on (or even just spoken to) just because they left the house.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 pm

But you wont know that unless you just go for it and talk to a person, its the risk you run but thats part of the game, I'd rather talk to a chick and get shot down then be left wondering what could've happened had I just said something to her.

Most people you see in public, you'll likely never see them a again ( unless its a place you frequent like a gym or coffee shop) so if you see a lady who tickles your fancy, spark up a convo and see where it goes. Worse case scenario she wont be very receptive to your conversation and you can just move on, best case scenario she's witty and loves to laugh and you two are on a date that following Saturday and end up bumping uglies and getting married a year later.

Approach every situation with a Take it or leave it attitude that way you wont get too bent out shape if she rejects you or overly excited ( which is also a turn off) if she shows interest.

I also recommend practicing your conversation skills with people, best place to start is when you're checking out at the cash register, the store clerk is gonna start the conversation by default by asking "How are you" you then give a response that's gonna invite more conversation so you say "I'm wonderful and yourself" most people don't respond that way so you're already gonna stand out and come off more positive, then just go from there.

Also for the love of god make sure you're not giving power to any of the typical nerd stereotypes, like someone said earlier, keep yourself well groomed ( hair cut, deodorant and a decent cologne to top it off) and wear clothes that fit so no Led Zepplin shirts that're two sizes too small or no ripped tie-dye shirts that're three sizes too big.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 pm But you wont know that unless you just go for it and talk to a person, its the risk you run but thats part of the game, I'd rather talk to a chick and get shot down then be left wondering what could've happened had I just said something to her.
That's cool that you don't mind crashing and burning but...uh...you do realize that means running the risk of making a woman feel incredibly uncomfortable, right?

Like, speaking from experience as a a woman and a person with anxiety. Having tact? Pretty cool, actually.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 pm

Telling a woman that you find her attractive tends to make her feel good though, even she rejects you its still a boost to her ego. You only creep people out when you come off like a creep which is usually when you're being too persistent and not just taking the rejection and moving on.

Approaching people you find attractive isn't disrespectful as long as its done in a tasteful way and if a person blows up on you because you tried talking to them, then they did you a huge favor and you should consider it a bullet dodged.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:10 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 pm Telling a woman that you find her attractive tends to make her feel good though, even she rejects you its still a boost to her ego. You only creep people out when you come off like a creep which is usually when you're being too persistent and not just taking the rejection and moving on.

Approaching people you find attractive isn't disrespectful as long as its done in a tasteful way and if a person blows up on you because you tried talking to them, then they did you a huge favor and you should consider it a bullet dodged.
That's exactly what I meant. Approaching people in a respectful manner either gives you both a feel-good moment or helps you boost your confidence by actually going for it and taking a chance. Same goes for guys as well. Guys usually act very cool when you give them a compliment or ask where they bought the jacket they're wearing for example.
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 pm But you wont know that unless you just go for it and talk to a person, its the risk you run but thats part of the game, I'd rather talk to a chick and get shot down then be left wondering what could've happened had I just said something to her.
That's cool that you don't mind crashing and burning but...uh...you do realize that means running the risk of making a woman feel incredibly uncomfortable, right?

Like, speaking from experience as a a woman and a person with anxiety. Having tact? Pretty cool, actually.
Getting rejected is only "crashing and burning" when you look at it from a certain mindset. If someone's rude to me after approaching them polite I don't see it as "crashing and burning" as that would imply that somehow I need to feel bad after trying to make someone's day a bit better. If the stranger and I have a great conversation, then that's great. If he or she blows up on me, that's fine too. I don't feel bad for taking a chance on love.

Oh and to make this post more on topic of Dragon Ball.....uhm.... Goku?