Black Lady and SSJ Rose Goku Black

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Black Lady and SSJ Rose Goku Black

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:47 am

I don't really know how to insert such a topic i here, but we have Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball using an overarching theme of the color pink.

Chibiusa(the daughter of Usagi Tsukino) and Goku Black's SSJ Rose form both possess pink hair. Do you think is a Japanese cultural thing to use such a color to imply malice and a marker of a good person turning evil.

Even the contrast between Black and pink is present in both cases.
Last edited by Low Tone G on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Black Lady and SSJ Rose Goku Black

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 am

I dont think so no. Chibiusa had pink hair to start with and its a coincidence that Goku Black's hair is pink.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 am

Pink rose to prominence as a regal colour denoting the aristocracy and nobility. This colour was chosen for Goku Black because Goku Black, who is Zamasu, is the Supreme Kai of the Universe 10. Thus, he is part of the Divine aristocracy/nobility.
Pink first rose to prominence as the favored color of Madame de Pompadour, a mistress of Louis XV. A specific shade of the color was created and named for her by the Sèvres porcelain company, who enjoyed her favor. Their fine porcelain was a prized status symbol in the 18th century, and this rich hue of pink came to be associated with the opulence of the royal court and all its trappings, though it was not assigned to a particular gender.
https://www.artandobject.com/news/color ... al-history

It simply makes sense to use this colour, which rose to prominence in an aristocratic setting, to identify someone who is indeed part of the aristocracy. Since the Supreme Kais are essentially the rulers/overseers of their respective universes.

The point of choosing this colour is that it objectively beautiful, elegant, no one looks at pink and thinks "ew, what an ugly and lowly colour". You would never see a peasant or a commoner wearing pink. So it fits the vainglorious and self-centred personality of Zamasu. And that's why Black's first remark upon using this form, is that it looks "beautiful".

Although you can indeed argue that this colour was used to indicate the start of Zamasu's fall from grace. When he decides that mortals are evil and need to be destroyed, so when he starts to become a villain, the petals around him change from white to pink. So it is definitely used to indicate malice too.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 am

Chibi Usa’s hair is pink because Takeuchi wanted it to be pink. Her Sailor uniform is also pink so I think it’s just pink= cute for the young girl character

Super Saiyan Rose was more about Zamasu’s flamboyant upper class attitude. “The beautiful elite”

There’s no correlation.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am

I don't think there's much here beyond coincidence. However, I remember reading that purple is an evil colour in Japanese culture (or maybe just in Japanese entertainment?), and purple and pink aren't all that far apart I guess. Which should be part of why Goku Black's aura while in Rosé in the anime looks the way it does, it pulls his palette towards purple. In Chibiusa's case, though, first of all Usagi herself was initially going to have pink hair so I think Chibiusa just inherited that without there being a deeper meaning to it, and also, when she's in Black Lady form she doesn't have the same kind of purple-focused palette (it's red-focused instead). So I don't think there's a big overarching idea connecting the two designs, it's mainly coincidence.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:15 am

Alruneia wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am I don't think there's much here beyond coincidence. However, I remember reading that purple is an evil colour in Japanese culture (or maybe just in Japanese entertainment?)
Just the opposite

https://en.japantravel.com/blog/symboli ... apan/61005#
warriors and symbolizes nobility and strength. The only flower that could be presented to samurai were irises, as their sharp leaves reminded the blade of a samurai sword called katana.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:43 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:15 am
Alruneia wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am I don't think there's much here beyond coincidence. However, I remember reading that purple is an evil colour in Japanese culture (or maybe just in Japanese entertainment?)
Just the opposite

https://en.japantravel.com/blog/symboli ... apan/61005#
warriors and symbolizes nobility and strength. The only flower that could be presented to samurai were irises, as their sharp leaves reminded the blade of a samurai sword called katana.
After looking it up, it kinda looks like this is a "pick your source" deal.
Medium wrote: Purple is an evil color in Japanese culture. It symbolizes death and mourning in Brazil and Thailand. Exorcists in Japan are usually dressed in purple. In gaming, the meaning of purple is found to be weird and fascinating. According to colour language in games, Purple indicates forbidden and unnatural magic, tainted air and water or a spreading danger which must be stopped. And it’s being called ‘The Colour of Corruption’. This is being evident in games like Ori and the will of the wisps, Animal crossing new horizons, Pokémon and many more.
Wikipedia wrote: Today, purple symbolizes evil and infidelity in Japan
I think it might be more of a contemporary thing for purple to be evil, and it might be mainly in entertainment like I suggested, but it's definitely not an idea that's unheard of.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:22 pm

I think that the writers of Dragon Ball Super definitely went for the "Evil" connotation of the colour purple. So they used the colour purple to represent something corrupted/twisted. The evidence is this:

Goku Black's Rosé aura also has a purple layer inside of it (as shown in the image above, there is a "purple layer" inside the Rosé aura). But they probably went for pink instead of purple because purple, as a colour in Super, is already associated with the Hakai technique and the Destroyers. So they didn't want to create confusion. If Black had purple hair instead of pink, people might have thought he had mastered Hakai or something like that...

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:09 am

I found this which remotely suggests what I initially thought:
https://oureverydaylife.com/what-do-hot ... 19689.html

Other than that, I personally think pink and black is not a pleasant combination to look at.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:09 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 am Pink rose to prominence as a regal colour denoting the aristocracy and nobility. This colour was chosen for Goku Black because Goku Black, who is Zamasu, is the Supreme Kai of the Universe 10. Thus, he is part of the Divine aristocracy/nobility.
Pink first rose to prominence as the favored color of Madame de Pompadour, a mistress of Louis XV. A specific shade of the color was created and named for her by the Sèvres porcelain company, who enjoyed her favor. Their fine porcelain was a prized status symbol in the 18th century, and this rich hue of pink came to be associated with the opulence of the royal court and all its trappings, though it was not assigned to a particular gender.

It simply makes sense to use this colour, which rose to prominence in an aristocratic setting, to identify someone who is indeed part of the aristocracy. Since the Supreme Kais are essentially the rulers/overseers of their respective universes.

The point of choosing this colour is that it objectively beautiful, elegant, no one looks at pink and thinks "ew, what an ugly and lowly colour". You would never see a peasant or a commoner wearing pink. So it fits the vainglorious and self-centred personality of Zamasu. And that's why Black's first remark upon using this form, is that it looks "beautiful".

Although you can indeed argue that this colour was used to indicate the start of Zamasu's fall from grace. When he decides that mortals are evil and need to be destroyed, so when he starts to become a villain, the petals around him change from white to pink. So it is definitely used to indicate malice too.
I don’t think it’s that deep. It’s literally Toriyama’s RoF hair design’s colors inverted. It’s basically a “negative Son Goku”.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:15 pm

Aim wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:09 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 am Pink rose to prominence as a regal colour denoting the aristocracy and nobility. This colour was chosen for Goku Black because Goku Black, who is Zamasu, is the Supreme Kai of the Universe 10. Thus, he is part of the Divine aristocracy/nobility.

I don’t think it’s that deep. It’s literally Toriyama’s RoF hair design’s colors inverted. It’s basically a “negative Son Goku”.
That is interesting and something I did not know about, however I would say that the anime still succeeded in making this form very unique, and not just another "recolour". Because Black is so flamboyant and vainglorious when unveiling this form and he constantly points out how it is "beautiful", "elegant", etc. so the choice of colour helps build up the character that is Zamasu, who is very egocentric and vainglorious.

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:32 pm

Low Tone G wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:47 am Do you think is a Japanese cultural thing to use such a color to imply malice and a marker of a good person turning evil.
I thought that was the case for blonde hair. :D

Other than that, Chibiusa has always had pink hair and pink clothes, even in her most "innocent" form. It didn't make sense to lose her genetics when transforming into Black Lady lol. She was upfront the "pink sailor scout" to symbolize childhood purity even though she's the most annoying little shit.

As to answer why Goku Black has pink hair I did a simple Google search:
Because Super Saiyan Rosé serves as Black's equivalent to Super Saiyan Blue, it utilizes god ki; as such, it is theorized by Future Zamasu that this form is pink in color due to it being the result of a deity surpassing Super Saiyan God (with Blue being the result of a mortal surpassing it).
Or it was just a random recolor. All in all those two don't seem related, just pure coincidence.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:36 pm

Chibiusa has pink hair because Naoko was prevented from giving Usagi pink hair. Black's hair is an inverse of SS Blue.