Dragon Ball and the UK.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball and the UK.

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:14 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:13 am It's not noticeable as much without the traditional high street, but I think the market's still there for those that buy online, at least I hope, as I like physical media.
I was moreso talking about DB's presence in supermarkets. Tesco and Sainsbury's have both dropped physical media since the pandemic happened. But if discs do die out, anime will be one of the last things to go.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:13 am
LostTimeLord wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:34 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:05 pm The highstreets here really aren't what they used to be, with many businesses having gone under. Aside from HMV we don't really have a chain dedicated to selling brand new DVDs/Blu-rays, aside from supermarkets like Tesco and Asda that only have a small display for them.
That's probably a thing of the past now, what with the pandemic and decline of physical media.
Justin Sevakis of Discotek actually said in an interview recently that Rightstuff saw a spike in Blu-Ray sales during the pandemic to the point they were struggling to keep up with demand. Granted that's a US retailer and distributor, but the UK is the second largest market for physical media, so I'd imagine sales can't be that far behind. It's not noticeable as much without the traditional high street, but I think the market's still there for those that buy online, at least I hope, as I like physical media.

Luckily I don't think anime has suffered as much as other content because its fans have always had that collector's mindset. With Manga UK now Funimation my hope is that they will have more money as it will be more a case of them adding to profits made in the US than wondering if a title will break even or not. MVM just seem to pick up whatever cheap and they're still going even though I'm rarely familiar with the stuff they put out. Then Anime Limited go for the collectors first and foremost, but it seemingly works out for them, as they keep releasing new collectors editions and even standards later on, which is nice as it shows they can cater for all budgets and still be viable.
Yeah, if anything the lockdown probably increased how much media people were watching at home.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:46 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:14 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:13 am It's not noticeable as much without the traditional high street, but I think the market's still there for those that buy online, at least I hope, as I like physical media.
I was moreso talking about DB's presence in supermarkets. Tesco and Sainsbury's have both dropped physical media since the pandemic happened. But if discs do die out, anime will be one of the last things to go.
Yeah, that's fair. It will be interesting to see how much (if at all) of a supermarket presence Super Hero will have. I know Sainsbury's have dropped discs, but I'd hope another chain like Morrison's could do an exclusive, as they stocked the Broly trilogy. Though I think Super Hero will be less profitable than the last two movies in general because it's looking to be less spectacle-focused so Funimation UK might not want to risk it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:14 pm I was moreso talking about DB's presence in supermarkets. Tesco and Sainsbury's have both dropped physical media since the pandemic happened. But if discs do die out, anime will be one of the last things to go.
Tesco actually still do physical media, at least in the branches near me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:59 pm

I am so glad you guys have made my thread thrive. I thought it was gonna be ignored. THANK YOU.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:33 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm Tesco actually still do physical media, at least in the branches near me.
They recently announced that they'd phase out CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays by the end of this month (Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -streaming).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:47 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:33 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm Tesco actually still do physical media, at least in the branches near me.
They recently announced that they'd phase out CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays by the end of this month (Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -streaming).
That's a shame, but understandable considering Tesco is more mass market. They stock a lot of physical media in the stores I've been to, but they sell far more DVDs than Blu-Rays although they don't sell anime. Good to know Asda and Morrisons haven't given up yet. I've seen one or two Dragon Ball mugs in Tesco though, so that's something, even though its not anime-related, still nice to see some representation for the brand at least.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:05 pm

Closest one to me is Aldis and I never see DVDs/Blurays there.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:02 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:33 pm
Damn that's a shame. The article also mentions places that closed a few years back. I long for the days of Woolworths, Blockbuster, and Virgin Megastore. It's the same on the videogame side. We used to have Gamestation and Gamezone in addition to all those other places. Now we only have GAME and CeX (which is 2nd hand only). I really hope HMV manage to stick around for the forseeable future.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:15 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:02 pmI long for the days of Woolworths, Blockbuster, and Virgin Megastore.
Me too, going to physical media stores were a huge part of my upbringing. I have so many memories of getting lost in them, seeing a movie that looks interesting, reading the summary at the back of the case, seeing what actors were cast in it. Browsing Netflix or Disney+ doesn't feel the same, and doesn't feel like an experience, which being in a huge HMV did. I'm not against streaming services, they're good for saving money rather than renting movies all the time before deciding if you want to buy them, but they will never be able to fully replace my desire for physical copies. It's the same for me with music. It always felt like an adventure going around the city, looking in all the different record stores for that album by my favourite artist. I'll always cherish memories like that.

Getting back to Dragon Ball, has anyone ever visited the old ukdb.net? Sadly I wasn't aware of it when it was active, but I know this was a UK Dragon Ball site developed by huge fans of the series from England and Holland during the time of the original broadcast. The owners of that site unearthed a lot of the information about the Westwood dub, including the fact it was Westwood Media, not AB Groupe that produced it (sadly because of the site being closed, this info fell into obscurity for many fans, including myself) and a lot of the cast (which is great because they were never credited in the ED).

Looking back on the wayback machine, some of the interviews can still be found, although I know there are more out there, including one with Don Brown.

Here are some of the interviews that were archived, courtesy of Duncan Roberts (Michael Dobson, Dale Wilson, Robert O'Smith and Peter Kelamis) and Jay R (other Peter Kelamis interview):

Interview with Michael Dobson (February 2003)
Interview with Dale Wilson (December 2002)
Interview with Peter Kelamis (October 2001)
Interview with Robert O Smith (2001)
Interview with Peter Kelamis (August 2001)
Here's some takeaways from these interviews.
  • The Vancouver cast's recording sessions lasted 1-4 or 5 hours
  • Directors for the Z dub were mostly inexperienced and hadn't done prelay (we've known the Westwood dub had multiple directors, but a lot of them being new makes sense because we know it was a low budget production)
  • By the time of the Westwood dub actors were paid by the line, so every grunt and scream was paid individually (that's good, today it would be criminal to not pay such stressful vocal work, but at the time we must remember the performances demanded by a show like Dragon Ball Z were newfound territory, at least in English-speaking countries)
  • According to Dale Wilson screams were easier to match than dialogue, which is broken up and not paced like an English line
  • The cast get to see the final product at the studio (this is interesting, as Brian Drummond said in his interview with Geekdom he only got to see his own lines in Kai, suggesting Airwaves Sound where the Westwood dub was recorded may have been more lenient than Ocean)
  • Peter Kelamis received backlash, which he described as "malicious" when he took over from Ian James Corlett, much to his surprise (in retrospect it makes sense considering how passionate this fanbase is, and how attached they can get to their favourite roles)
  • Escaflowne received a lot of airtime on Fox Kids in the UK, so much so that Fox would be bankrupt if they had to pay Michael Dobson residuals (probably a joke on Duncan Roberts' part)
  • Michael Dobson grew up in England, hearing many accents and dialects. Himself and his brothers use to sit around a tape recorder, making up storylines and acting them out, having no idea they could be paid for it (funnily enough Chris Sabat had a similar story, kinda cool these people did this for fun, only to be pleasantly surprised it could be a source of income for them)

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:55 pm

Z must’ve done well on Cartoon Network UK since I recall there was that one time they had those full weekend marathons. Literally a whole day of the Saiyan saga, Namek saga etc.

God help anyone who hated DBZ and wanted to watch their favourite shows on Cartoon Network. It suited me fine.
However, I do remember they once had a weeklong marathon of Scooby Doo.. Which I hate.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:00 pm

Xell wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:55 pm Z must’ve done well on Cartoon Network UK since I recall there was that one time they had those full weekend marathons. Literally a whole day of the Saiyan saga, Namek saga etc.

God help anyone who hated DBZ and wanted to watch their favourite shows on Cartoon Network. It suited me fine.
However, I do remember they once had a weeklong marathon of Scooby Doo.. Which I hate.
Z did so well that it continued getting marathons for 2 years after the final episode first aired. They kept making new promos for it too. There was one really dramatic one CNX made for the Frieza saga in 2003, even though though GT was airing at that point. It was constantly on the air from March 2000 until Summer 2005.

Both OG DB and GT didn't get anywhere near Z's treatment. I don't remember them getting any marathons, and they got nowhere near the amount of reruns as Z. OG DB aired it's final episode in November 2004, and by Spring 2005 it was taken off Toonami UK completely. I think GT did slightly better, as they brought it back for one last full run in 2005.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:00 pm

Xell wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:55 pm Z must’ve done well on Cartoon Network UK since I recall there was that one time they had those full weekend marathons. Literally a whole day of the Saiyan saga, Namek saga etc.

Yes. I loved those Saturday marathons. Brings be back.

Remember watching DBZ at 5pm and then the rerun at 9pm too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:48 pm

If you don't mind my asking, what are you UK guys' thoughts on DB sister shows or other anime that take place in the UK like Black Butler, Emma, etc?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:07 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:48 pm If you don't mind my asking, what are you UK guys' thoughts on DB sister shows or other anime that take place in the UK like Black Butler, Emma, etc?
Only anime I've seen that's set in the UK to my knowledge is Steamboy, but thought it was perfectly fine, and a well made kids movie.

Magus Bride and Hellsing are set in the UK too I believe, though I haven't seen either.

2quid

Post by 2quid » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:30 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:15 am
90sDBZ wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:02 pmI long for the days of Woolworths, Blockbuster, and Virgin Megastore.
Getting back to Dragon Ball, has anyone ever visited the old ukdb.net? Sadly I wasn't aware of it when it was active, but I know this was a UK Dragon Ball site developed by huge fans of the series from England and Holland during the time of the original broadcast. The owners of that site unearthed a lot of the information about the Westwood dub, including the fact it was Westwood Media, not AB Groupe that produced it (sadly because of the site being closed, this info fell into obscurity for many fans, including myself) and a lot of the cast (which is great because they were never credited in the ED).

Think it was our own DBZImran who owned that site, I used to go there but only so I could ask him for the Ultimate Muscle rips he had :D

And yeah, to whoever it was that was looking at CN UK's ratings, it's seriously in the gutter, there's nothing on that channel to really make it appeal to kids at all, it's like you're paying a sky subscription just to watch an on air youtube stream. It used to be that kids would beg parents for the subscription channels (CN/Disney/Nick) because of how strong their lineup was, I would say well into the 2010s, latest by about 2014 if I'm being generous. Youtube offered a very different experience to TV even up til then, and Netflix just wasn't super popular either.

When it comes to trying to compete with streaming giants, CN, with all its experience and money, didn't even try. And I don't know about you guys but I've noticed a substantial change in the schedule for Pop Max (what Kix became) since the new company took over. It's starting to resemble Kix again ever so slightly, just recently during the February half term they aired back-to-back Pokemon films and episodes, which was quite nice to see. It's also nice to see DB doing well on Pop even though it must be on a third run by now, but seeing as it's paired on the schedule with new Ladybug, Pokemon and Bakugan episodes I'd say it's a strong lineup.

I would hazard to say I'm probably about 5-10 years younger than most of you, but I'm just about old enough to remember Toonami's best days and I'm firmly in the category of people who grew up with Kix, in fact I waited for that channel to launch! It's tough to be an anime fan in the UK when it comes to legal ways to watch things, but it wasn't always like that. Toonami shutting down was pretty bad as ever since there's never been a proper way to watch One Piece here properly, but Jetix took it's place pretty seamlessly and had quite a bit of anime and action cartoons. I think when Jetix shut down is really when the decline began to set properly, otherwise pre 2009 you had every kids channel in the UK competing for any anime they could get their hands on.

Just off the top of my head, Nick had Yugioh and held on to that til about 2012, CITV bought Digimon, the other Yugioh shows, the Transformers anime, Bakugan, a whole lot more than that too, and Jetix had Shaman King and Naruto, even Pop and all it's channels must have had about 6-8 anime shows between them all, and of course there was CN, but it felt like none of them had any interest in those shows anymore and Kix almost single-handedly carried anime on UK tv for almost a decade, they showed a LOT more once they obtained DBKai.

I don't think anime is unpopular in the UK, especially if you grew up during the early 2000's where every second programme was an anime programme, I just think it never had the time to properly flourish, and I think the evidence for this lies in the 2010's (when I was a teen). There was a kinda renaissance then, where Scuzz (a music channel), Sony Movie Channel and Viceland all aired anime at late night times. If you take a look at BARB, those shows were so highly rated, also coincidentally, that was the one and only time the Animax branding was used in the UK on TV.

Viceland especially, had so much success with airing anime, then they tapered off showing them, and I don't know why. I think the channel itself has shut down. I can't exactly work out what the common factor is, because every channel that has aired an anime show has seen that show top the ratings, but then they decide to drop the show. Maybe they think they have loyal viewers now and can make those viewers watch their original programming? I don't know.
> Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads

"You're basically a TV Exec"

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:29 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:15 am [*] Directors for the Z dub were mostly inexperienced and hadn't done prelay (we've known the Westwood dub had multiple directors, but a lot of them being new makes sense because we know it was a low budget production)
Eh, I doubt it would have been drastically lower than the other anime shows they dubbed at that time. And the Funimation dub was far from high budget either with Sabat playing both director and a good portion of the cast. By the sounds of it, the Vancouver actors were compensated for yells by the time of the Westwood dub which wasn't the case during the Saban days. It's really no wonder Ian left when he did.

The library music may be a budget thing but it could also have been a result of time constraints and the awkward starting point. They certainly didn't cheap out on the sound design.

But anyway, at the very least it's nice to have some details about the directors. A shame we'll never know who they were exactly.
[*] Escaflowne received a lot of airtime on Fox Kids in the UK, so much so that Fox would be bankrupt if they had to pay Michael Dobson residuals (probably a joke on Duncan Roberts' part)
Does anyone else remember this being the case? Because I watched a LOT of Fox Kids back then (enough to remember the Brush Lee & Jackie Chain shorts during ad breaks) yet I have zero recollection of Escaflowne ever being shown in the UK lineup... Which is a shame, I would have loved it back then. I ate up virtually every anime they showed minus Shaman King and Shinzo. Maybe it was shown earlier during the year 2000 or something? That was the only period I really missed out on.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:05 pm

NitroEX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:29 pm (enough to remember the Brush Lee & Jackie Chain shorts during ad breaks)
Wow, thought I was the only one who remembered those. Alongside those zillion different Michael Owen ads.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:00 am

NitroEX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:29 pm Eh, I doubt it would have been drastically lower than the other anime shows they dubbed at that time. And the Funimation dub was far from high budget either with Sabat playing both director and a good portion of the cast. By the sounds of it, the Vancouver actors were compensated for yells by the time of the Westwood dub which wasn't the case during the Saban days. It's really no wonder Ian left when he did.
Both dubs were low budget, which is understandable given they were competing for airtime. I too give Westwood the edge because it had more experienced actors, who did their best with the direction they had (we also know Karl Willems directed some episodes, so I have no doubt the direction wasn't all done by amateurs) and in my opinion better music.

Ocean can't be held completely responsible for the Westwood dubs budget however, as Funimation were inadvertently largely accountable for its creation themselves as they were the ones who seemingly afforded Ocean a lot of the benefits they had, like using their video masters until the last 3 episodes (which were then provided by AB Groupe) and near identical scripts.

Ocean's video editors also likely received payment from Funimation for editing their dub for Canadian broadcast, which would have helped funding the sound design, etc. As a young company Funimation likely had the best of intentions signing contracts to get their dub on TV in Canada but they were also naive to the fact a company they made deals with would not be beholden to their cast or anything else about their own dub (nor should they be as Ocean were a more established company in the industry).

We also have reason to believe Ocean were not to blame for the Westwood dub being rushed, as David Gasman was quoted as saying AB were in a rush to get the Big Green dubs (which they also didn't produce) done and that was for home video initially, so I can only imagine what kind of pressure they were capable of putting Ocean under for a dub that's initial audience was meant to be TV (and to this day has unfortunately been the only legal audience).
NitroEX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:29 pm Because I watched a LOT of Fox Kids back then (enough to remember the Brush Lee & Jackie Chain shorts during ad breaks) yet I have zero recollection of Escaflowne ever being shown in the UK lineup... Which is a shame, I would have loved it back then. I ate up virtually every anime they showed minus Shaman King and Shinzo. Maybe it was shown earlier during the year 2000 or something? That was the only period I really missed out on.
Yeah I didn't watch much Fox Kids but was also surprised to read this, as I would have thought I'd have heard of Escaflowne through checking schedules and that, although we didn't have Sky in 2000 so that year may be a possibility.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:58 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:00 am As a young company Funimation likely had the best of intentions signing contracts to get their dub on TV in Canada but they were also naive to the fact a company they made deals with would not be beholden to their cast or anything else about their own dub (nor should they be as Ocean were a more established company in the industry).
We could just as easily say the Ocean cast was the Funimation cast. Funi just abandoned them which was never part of the plan. In their haste to get out and do things cheaper in Texas, I can totally believe they'd make the mistake of not ensuring the Canadian broadcast was obligated to use their new in-house cast, especially since no such cast existed at the time the Ocean deal was signed.

I do agree that they were probably naive to the deals going on with AB but it wouldn't have been allowed to happen if it wasn't above board. As Ian Corlett once mentioned, they had the rights to produce a Canadian version and I guess there was nothing stopping them from selling it to overseas markets. As long as they weren't selling physical copies of it in North America Funimation probably didn't care. I doubt anyone back then could forsee fans preserving all the episodes and sharing them online.
We also have reason to believe Ocean were not to blame for the Westwood dub being rushed, as David Gasman was quoted as saying AB were in a rush to get the Big Green dubs (which they also didn't produce) done and that was for home video initially, so I can only imagine what kind of pressure they were capable of putting Ocean under for a dub that's initial audience was meant to be TV (and to this day has unfortunately been the only legal audience).
I think it's safe to say AB did produce the Big Green dubs. They were recorded in France after all, and only released in AB's territories. They only released them through third-party distributors though, which explains why Bridge Entertainment and Warner Vision were involved.

The rushed schedule was partly AB & CN but also just a natural consequence of a competing dub being out there. If they didn't produce the new in-demand episodes within a certain time frame the distributor was free to buy the competition (assuming Funi wasn't charging an outrageous fee) or try and produce their own (Big Green).