Variety - "Crunchyroll Is Adding All Funimation Anime Content, Sony Starts to Phase Out Funimation Brand"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Variety - "Crunchyroll Is Adding All Funimation Anime Content, Sony Starts to Phase Out Funimation Brand"

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:20 pm

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/c ... =logged_in

This definitely feels like the end of an era. Regardless of how you feel about their handling of the series, the FUNimation name has been associated with the US distribution of the series since day 1 (yeah yeah I know, Harmony Gold, you get what I mean), so it feels weird that their brand is being phased out.

I'm not sure how much it'll actually affect things moving forward for Dragon Ball, but it is certainly interesting.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Variety - "Crunchyroll Is Adding All Funimation Anime Content, Sony Starts to Phase Out Funimation Brand"

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm

This is quite surprising, I would have thought Crunchyroll would be the one to go, as Funimation shamelessly discarded the decades old Manga UK brand. Funimation's streaming service was terrible though, so no big loss. I'll be happy to see Crunchyroll as the new home where people will discover Dragon Ball.

I'll believe Funimation is being rebranded when I see it, but if that does happen maybe we could start to see both Texas and Vancouver being used for the English dubs? Surely Sony have the money to fund multiple dubs and could outsource to Ocean for alternate versions? Maybe a pipe dream but something worth aspiring for.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Variety - "Crunchyroll Is Adding All Funimation Anime Content, Sony Starts to Phase Out Funimation Brand"

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:17 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm This is quite surprising, I would have thought Crunchyroll would be the one to go, as Funimation shamelessly discarded the decades old Manga UK brand
I think it's because Crunchyroll is a better known brand worldwide while Funimation is mainly known only in English-speaking countries.

It will be funny to call future DB dubs as the "Crunchyroll dub".

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:29 pm

M16U3L2015 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:17 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm This is quite surprising, I would have thought Crunchyroll would be the one to go, as Funimation shamelessly discarded the decades old Manga UK brand
I think it's because Crunchyroll is a better known brand worldwide while Funimation is mainly known only in English-speaking countries.

It will be funny to call future DB dubs as the "Crunchyroll dub".
I was thinking more along the lines of them being called the "Sony dub" :lol: or if they go the route I'm hoping for with an English version for the US and Canada it could be an "Okratron dub" and an "Ocean dub" respectively.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:58 pm

I wonder what will become of the Texas-based employees? Will the united staff be allowed to unionize?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:58 pm I wonder what will become of the Texas-based employees? Will the united staff be allowed to unionize?
I imagine they’re still going to be around

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:11 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm I would have thought Crunchyroll would be the one to go, as Funimation shamelessly discarded the decades old Manga UK brand.
Yeah. I had assumed that home video would continue to use the Funimation branding, but Variety are implying that the Funimation name is entirely on its way out. They only rebranded last April and, as far as I'm aware, Funi is pretty well known as a dubbing studio. Not that it'll make their titles any harder to find.
On the streaming side, Crunchyroll's had a UK presence for about twice as long as Funi in the UK, so that tracks.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:15 pm

Sucks to be UK collector, three rebrandings/restamping of home releases in 2 years (Manga UK, Funimation now Crunchyroll).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:22 pm

For home video I'm guessing everything will now be released on Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, which could be good as it might open the door to anime having a bigger presence in electronics stores.

Anime is one of the few mediums where physical media hasn't declined as much, because the fans have always been collectors. Sony knows this, so as the company that created Blu-Rays they know they can only benefit from investing in anime.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:06 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:58 pm I wonder what will become of the Texas-based employees? Will the united staff be allowed to unionize?
Two different headquarters seems like the same headache that FUNimation had in the 1990s so I'm kind of curious if that is no longer an issue in 2022. Hmm...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:33 pm

I wonder how it will affect the dubbing of both companies, especially Funimation which operates mostly in Texas, besides the fact that a year and a half ago they started dubbing in Spanish and Portuguese.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:30 pm
Two different headquarters seems like the same headache that FUNimation had in the 1990s so I'm kind of curious if that is no longer an issue in 2022. Hmm...
Maybe I misunderstood but it sounds like Chris Sabat and Justin Cook and all those guys are answering to Sony now. Oktratron 5000 will continue to do any and all dubbing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:49 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:30 pm

Maybe I misunderstood but it sounds like Chris Sabat and Justin Cook and all those guys are answering to Sony now. Oktratron 5000 will continue to do any and all dubbing.
Ah, yeah, perhaps I am, too. I know at one point FUNi had a whole in-house operation but perhaps all that is now done at Sabat's place and there's no in-house offices for their executives in Texas?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:56 pm

I was expecting huge anime news but this is unreal.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:34 pm

I'm not really in the loop with this sort of stuff so what does this all mean? Is FUNi eventually closing shop or something?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:50 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:34 pm I'm not really in the loop with this sort of stuff so what does this all mean? Is FUNi eventually closing shop or something?
As of right now, the actual COMPANY will still exist, but as Crunchyroll Texas or something to that effect. Home media releases will continue for now, and I have no idea what's going to happen when it comes time to release Super Hero in the west.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 pm

A Japanese owned company now more or less has a monopoly on anime in the West. I guess, in a way, that’s kind of fitting. I’m not much of an anime person, so I can’t say this matters to me much, but I’m sure this is unfortunate for a lot of people who are big anime fans.

If the FUNimation is being phased out, that’s gonna be weird. I don’t see why it’s necessary. I know Sony is a recognizable name, but FUNimation was already an established brand to English-speaking anime fans. Is it a synergy thing?

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:11 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:34 pm I'm not really in the loop with this sort of stuff so what does this all mean? Is FUNi eventually closing shop or something?
The brand "Funimation" as such will cease to exist, from now on everything licensed will be under the name of Crunchyroll.

Also, any series they license from now on will be exclusive to Crunchyroll.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/es/anime-ne ... me-library

That means that in the future, Funimation streaming service will also disappear.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 pm If the FUNimation is being phased out, that’s gonna be weird. I don’t see why it’s necessary. I know Sony is a recognizable name, but FUNimation was already an established brand to English-speaking anime fans. Is it a synergy thing?
After they bought Crunchyroll, they said they wanted to have a single unified streaming platform.

And since Sony's goal was to expand globally, it makes sense that they decided to use Crunchyroll rather than Funimation, since it is in more languages and countries.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:20 pm

M16U3L2015 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 pm If the FUNimation is being phased out, that’s gonna be weird. I don’t see why it’s necessary. I know Sony is a recognizable name, but FUNimation was already an established brand to English-speaking anime fans. Is it a synergy thing?
After they bought Crunchyroll, they said they wanted to have a single unified streaming platform.

And since Sony's goal was to expand globally, it makes sense that they decided to use the Crunchyroll brand rather than Funimation, since it is in more languages and countries.
Of course Sony wants a streaming platform. :roll: At the very least, I guess it’s better this than them doing a streaming service for their film and television properties.

“The Crunchyroll dub” doesn’t have a very appealing to it.