Variety - "Crunchyroll Is Adding All Funimation Anime Content, Sony Starts to Phase Out Funimation Brand"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Re: Variety - "Crunchyroll Is Adding All Funimation Anime Content, Sony Starts to Phase Out Funimation Brand"

Post by dragonmagico » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:50 pm

oh cool the apps are finally being consolidated! I wonder if funi is just going to become cr's in house dubbing studio and bluray making place. gotta be cheaper than outsourcing

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Variety - "Crunchyroll Is Adding All Funimation Anime Content, Sony Starts to Phase Out Funimation Brand"

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:47 pm

So, I just realized that I had a grandfathered account where I get Funimation Premium Plus for $59.99/year. And that was renewed in July, so I'm losing a few months. And so, I checked out Crunchyroll's prices.

Long story short: I'm not getting that. I rarely used Funimation and kept it around because it was dirt crap. But in not subscribing to this thing lol It was a fun ride... I guess?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:56 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:47 pm So, I just realized that I had a grandfathered account where I get Funimation Premium Plus for $59.99/year. And that was renewed in July, so I'm losing a few months. And so, I checked out Crunchyroll's prices.

Long story short: I'm not getting that. I rarely used Funimation and kept it around because it was dirt crap. But in not subscribing to this thing lol It was a fun ride... I guess?
If you're a Funi subscriber without CR they said they'd give you 2 months of CR free, and if you got a yearly sub to Funi you should be able to contact their support to see if you can work something out. I assume it'll be a reduced price for CR based on how much time you have left on Funi. If you wanna give it a try at least it couldn't hurt to at least use the free 2 months.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:11 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:56 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:47 pm So, I just realized that I had a grandfathered account where I get Funimation Premium Plus for $59.99/year. And that was renewed in July, so I'm losing a few months. And so, I checked out Crunchyroll's prices.

If you're a Funi subscriber without CR they said they'd give you 2 months of CR free, and if you got a yearly sub to Funi you should be able to contact their support to see if you can work something out. I assume it'll be a reduced price for CR based on how much time you have left on Funi. If you wanna give it a try at least it couldn't hurt to at least use the free 2 months.
Yeah, apparently they were supposed to send a special free trial link today. I didn't get one. I contacted their customer support about this, so we'll see. But I'm not going from $60/year to $100/year. That's not happening. I already subscribe to a ton of stuff and this is very low on the list.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:20 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:11 pm

Yeah, apparently they were supposed to send a special free trial link today. I didn't get one. I contacted their customer support about this, so we'll see. But I'm not going from $60/year to $100/year. That's not happening. I already subscribe to a ton of stuff and this is very low on the list.
Can't blame you there. The cablefication of streaming is increasingly frustrating to me, having to choose which of the five million things to sub to so you aren't paying half a mortgage for entertainment. Thankfully this particular venture just so happens to work for me personally because I happen to sub to both CR and Funi already.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:27 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:20 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:11 pm

Can't blame you there. The cablefication of streaming is increasingly frustrating to me, having to choose which of the five million things to sub to so you aren't paying half a mortgage for entertainment. Thankfully this particular venture just so happens to work for me personally because I happen to sub to both CR and Funi already.
I have Netflix (always going up in price); Hulu with no ads, live TV and unlimited screens (so an expensive Hulu), Apple Music, YouTube Premium, Boomerang (only because it's for cheap too), Viz (only because it's even cheaper than dirt), and Funimation (not for long). And I'm constantly wondering if I should bite the bullet and do HBO Max or Paramount or Peacock or whatever else. The only time I watch Funimatiom is if I need something comforting in the background, so I go for something like Speed Racer or whatever. Not worth it for me. I would do a Tubi ad-free subscription (kind of wish they had one) before I sign up for Crunchyroll, quite honestly

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:45 pm

I only use Netflix, Disney+, Youtube, Spotify and Irish freeview channels because between them and my Blu-Ray/DVD collection (which as someone that likes rewatching stuff I use regularly) I'd struggle to find time to consume any more content.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:45 pm I only use Netflix, Disney+, Youtube, Spotify and Irish freeview channels because between them and my Blu-Ray/DVD collection (which as someone that likes rewatching stuff I use regularly) I'd struggle to find time to consume any more content.
I totally forgot that I had Disney+ too lol

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:08 pm

What I wonder is if Gen Fukunaga still has a 5% ownership stake in FUNImation Crunchyroll, LLC once this is all said and done.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:23 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/featur ... er/.183405

I really dislike the Funimation brand being phased out, that's a lousy thing to do in my view. Funimation and its association with DB have been a part of my years, and seeing something from those years be brought to an end is really hurtful.

And I really hope the voice actors will be able to keep their jobs.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:21 am

I too think wiping out the company name is stupid, though I think getting rid of Manga UK was the bigger crime because of their history in the industry dating back to Akira. They've also been inseparable from Dragon Ball in the UK and Ireland throughout these revival years.

I'm fairly sure the voice actors will be kept, despite recent controversies they are very well liked. Most likely Crunchyroll will use Okratron 5000 as its dubbing arm, and even if other actors move Chris Sabat will direct them online as he did that in Super with great success.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:32 am

So it seems redundancies are taking place in the UK office (formerly known as Manga UK). From people in the know I've talked with its mainly in PR/social and support, as those roles are being consolidated, so likely to be handled from the US office now. I'm guessing Funimation's staff will suffer the same fate, which is going to be tough for them.

Strange to think two historic companies as we know them (Manga UK and Funimation) are now effectively dead, both in name and in their operations (which I assume will now all be handled from California, although Okratron will probably be kept for dubs like Dragon Ball).

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:01 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:20 pm https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/c ... =logged_in

This definitely feels like the end of an era. Regardless of how you feel about their handling of the series, the FUNimation name has been associated with the US distribution of the series since day 1 (yeah yeah I know, Harmony Gold, you get what I mean), so it feels weird that their brand is being phased out.

I'm not sure how much it'll actually affect things moving forward for Dragon Ball, but it is certainly interesting.
It's definitely the end of an era and its hard to believe that Funimation is coming to an end. It's hard to deny that they are probably the biggest influencers of bringing anime to the west. However, Funimation are responsible for the countless awful home releases of Dragon Ball Z. Hopefully, new management at Crunchyroll can turn things around, and start respecting the series.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:51 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:32 am So it seems redundancies are taking place in the UK office (formerly known as Manga UK). From people in the know I've talked with its mainly in PR/social and support, as those roles are being consolidated, so likely to be handled from the US office now. I'm guessing Funimation's staff will suffer the same fate, which is going to be tough for them.

Strange to think two historic companies as we know them (Manga UK and Funimation) are now effectively dead, both in name and in their operations (which I assume will now all be handled from California, although Okratron will probably be kept for dubs like Dragon Ball).
Was Okratron included in the sale ?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:09 am

mikezilla2 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:51 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:32 am So it seems redundancies are taking place in the UK office (formerly known as Manga UK). From people in the know I've talked with its mainly in PR/social and support, as those roles are being consolidated, so likely to be handled from the US office now. I'm guessing Funimation's staff will suffer the same fate, which is going to be tough for them.

Pretty sure Sabat owns Okratron 5000 all by himself.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:22 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:09 am
mikezilla2 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:51 pm

Pretty sure Sabat owns Okratron 5000 all by himself.
thats what i thought So unless they buy it i cant see much changing on that Front