M&E (Music and Effects track) in Malaysian/Speedy dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

M&E (Music and Effects track) in Malaysian/Speedy dubs

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:57 pm

It was very interesting and equally funny to find out that the dubs of the DBZ movies (and some episodes) that Speedy Video did in the mid '90s actually had surprisingly good quality music and effects tracks with them. Considering how laughably awful the dubs are in of themselves, it's really surprising how a hole in the wall video chain like them was able to do it. Though then i started looking more into it and discovered how apparently they either reached out to or received these tracks from the company (or companies) that did the Cantonese dub of DBZ for most of if not all the same material. Honestly, the fact that a chain doing bootleg dubs on VCD was able to get these when a lot of other dub companies received substandard quality M&E tracks just blows my mind. Also, on that note aside from the tracks it seems Speedy also recieved from them poorly translated scripts that were terribly quality Japanese to Chinese/Cantonese to English translations. Of course, that coupled with the serious lack of fluency of English by the people doing the voices along with the random warping of the music at times and it's no wonder those turned out as awful as they infamously are. In a way, it reminds me of how the majority of Europe got the bad quality scripts and censored footage of DB/DBZ from AB Groupe/S.O.F.I that the French dubs had used.

I guess that just goes to show how bizarre things can happen when it comes to foreign anime dubs, even unlicensed ones at times.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)