WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 06, 2022 8:56 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:50 am
WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:15 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:10 pm

Ah yes that franchise that had one film in 2009 and was mostly forgotten about after it came out other than easy Pocahontas rip off jokes. And now the general consensus is more bewilderment there's even going to be a sequel after 10 years.

Truly the crown jewel of Disney's 20th Century Fox acquisition.
It made $2.7 billion in its initial theatrical run. I imagine Disney would be much more interested in that than Dragon Ball, especially since, unlike Dragon Ball, they actually own the Avatar franchise wholesale.
What do those two things have to do with each other?

Why would an interest in Avatar cancel out any hypothetical interest in Dragon Ball?

Make it make sense
It’s not that complicated. Disney has plenty of franchises under their wing, so why would they need to rely on Dragon Ball? Disney doesn’t seem to like making movies based on IP’s that they don’t have the full rights to anyway.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 06, 2022 9:20 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:56 am
WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:15 am

It made $2.7 billion in its initial theatrical run. I imagine Disney would be much more interested in that than Dragon Ball, especially since, unlike Dragon Ball, they actually own the Avatar franchise wholesale.

Why would an interest in Avatar cancel out any hypothetical interest in Dragon Ball?

Make it make sense
It’s not that complicated. Disney has plenty of franchises under their wing, so why would they need to rely on Dragon Ball? Disney doesn’t seem to like making movies based on IP’s that they don’t have the full rights to anyway.
Who said they need to rely on Dragon Ball?

Again, what in the hell does Avatar have to do with Dragon Ball?

"I wouldn't want a jacket because I already own a tv"

Okay??

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 06, 2022 9:25 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:20 am
WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:56 am

Make it make sense
Who said they need to rely on Dragon Ball?

Again, what in the hell does Avatar have to do with Dragon Ball?

"I wouldn't want a jacket because I already own a tv"

Okay??
Someone else suggested that Disney might want to use Dragon Ball to appeal to Asian markets. My point was pretty simple; they don’t need Dragon Ball for that. They have other IP’s for that. Dragon Ball in live action is a completely unproven concept. DBE was a flop.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am

You could just as easily say "Disney has Marvel and Star Wars, why would they need to..."

*buys 20th Century Fox*

Oh

I think the point of Live Action DB being an 'unproven concept' is fair, but the idea that "Disney thinks they finally have enough IPs to work with" is definitely never going to be true.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 06, 2022 12:06 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am You could just as easily say "Disney has Marvel and Star Wars, why would they need to..."

*buys 20th Century Fox*

Oh

I think the point of Live Action DB being an 'unproven concept' is fair, but the idea that "Disney thinks they finally have enough IPs to work with" is definitely never going to be true.
I didn’t say “Disney thinks they finally have enough IPs to work with.” My point was that Disney probably isn’t going to bother with something like Dragon Ball.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:06 pm
Zephyr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am You could just as easily say "Disney has Marvel and Star Wars, why would they need to..."

*buys 20th Century Fox*

Oh

I didn’t say “Disney thinks they finally have enough IPs to work with.” My point was that Disney probably isn’t going to bother with something like Dragon Ball.
I getcha. Bringing up Avatar obscured the point is all I'm saying.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri May 06, 2022 7:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:25 am DBE was a flop.
And most efforts to bring DBZ to the US were flops as well, but they kept at it.

Everyone knows why Evo was bad. It's failure had nothing to do with the IP itself or even most of those involved. It was a thrown together thing to try and keep the IP, just like those two Fantastic 4 movies. Also owned by Fox.

Anime is multitudes more popular. And the people that would do it more justice are rising in the ranks. Plus the CGI has definitely inproved. Thanks to the Marvel movies.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri May 06, 2022 8:35 pm

I swear DBE just gave this place PTSD and they're not even willing to rationally analyze why that movie failed not just qualitatively, but commercially. Like, it didn't even ATTEMPT to be Dragon ball and a big reason it didn't generate interest is because the actual Dragon Ball fans that would be most likely to throw their money nope'd the fuck out of it as soon as that plot summary leaked in 2007.

Now we live in a world where an animated Dragon Ball Super movie tripled Evolution's lifetime US gross off of a limited 30-day theater run. With the right movie and the right marketing, a live action movie could be huge.

jjgp112 wrote:Oh Jesus, that article better be a joke or just plain not true. I wouldn't even attempt to watch the DBZ movie.

If it is true and Akira Toriyama finds out, he'll probably take back the license because he's so horrified at what his masterpiece has been turned into.

Look at this lil' nigga kinda sorta being a prophet!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 06, 2022 8:52 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:35 pm I swear DBE just gave this place PTSD and they're not even willing to rationally analyze why that movie failed not just qualitatively, but commercially. Like, it didn't even ATTEMPT to be Dragon ball and a big reason it didn't generate interest is because the actual Dragon Ball fans that would be most likely to throw their money nope'd the fuck out of it as soon as that plot summary leaked in 2007.

Now we live in a world where an animated Dragon Ball Super movie tripled Evolution's lifetime US gross off of a limited 30-day theater run. With the right movie and the right marketing, a live action movie could be huge.
This.

"Dragon Ball Evolution was a commercial failure" is not because Dragon Ball can't work in live action. Everyone who would have been interested in this movie knew it was going to be a bastardazation.

Literally all pre-release discussion surrounding DBE was how bad it was gonna be.

And yes, relatively speaking, Super Broli did gangbusters.

Acting like a live action Dragon Ball film could never happen again is like acting like Marvel would never make a Captain America film after the failure of the 70s and 90s films :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 06, 2022 9:19 pm

Could a live action Dragon Ball movie theoretically make a lot of money? Sure, but I have trouble believing that Disney will bother with it. They like to play things safe. And as I mentioned earlier, they don’t seem to have much interest in making movies based on IP’s that they don’t fully own.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:19 pm . And as I mentioned earlier, they don’t seem to have much interest in making movies based on IP’s that they don’t fully own.
Watch them acquire Toei in 2024

Misu

Post by Misu » Fri May 06, 2022 10:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:19 pm . And as I mentioned earlier, they don’t seem to have much interest in making movies based on IP’s that they don’t fully own.
They are already trying to attract anime fans. First they made a whole anime bait star wars and now they are also streaming a new anime called summertime rendering. They are also gonna stream the new season of tatami galaxy which is a very highly regarded show in the anime community.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 07, 2022 12:13 am

Misu wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:02 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 pm
They are already trying to attract anime fans. First they made a whole anime bait star wars and now they are also streaming a new anime called summertime rendering. They are also gonna stream the new season of tatami galaxy which is a very highly regarded show in the anime community.
I don't feel like reading the whole thread - who is gonna stream?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat May 07, 2022 7:23 am

sangofe wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:13 amI don't feel like reading the whole thread - who is gonna stream?
Disney is streaming anime in their Disney+ service.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat May 07, 2022 10:50 am

How long would Disney own the rights to DB? I thought they would lose the rights if they don't produce something within a certain number of years but I could be wrong about that. Anime-based Hollywood films don't have the best track record and most of the ones I can think of flopped. There seems to be more demand for anime in its original form than live action adaptations. I'd still watch another attempt at a live action DB though :). I think the action could look good based on recent action films and only the hair would need to be toned down.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:19 am

Skar wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:50 am How long would Disney own the rights to DB? I thought they would lose the rights if they don't produce something within a certain number of years but I could be wrong about that. Anime-based Hollywood films don't have the best track record and most of the ones I can think of flopped. There seems to be more demand for anime in its original form than live action adaptations. I'd still watch another attempt at a live action DB though :). I think the action could look good based on recent action films and only the hair would need to be toned down.
Wouldnt distributing the animated movies in the west technically count as doing something, though?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 am

Skar wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:50 am How long would Disney own the rights to DB? I thought they would lose the rights if they don't produce something within a certain number of years but I could be wrong about that. Anime-based Hollywood films don't have the best track record and most of the ones I can think of flopped. There seems to be more demand for anime in its original form than live action adaptations. I'd still watch another attempt at a live action DB though :). I think the action could look good based on recent action films and only the hair would need to be toned down.
Alita: Battle Angel (adaptation of the manga Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm) was pretty good (despite taking quite a bit of liberties in adaptation) & successful with great (live) action fights that translated the manga's choreography incredibly well to the big (real people) screen, and a live action DB movie (which coincidentally they share being owned by Disney post-20th Century Fox buyouy) could take a lot of inspiration from it

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun May 08, 2022 9:09 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 am
Alita: Battle Angel (adaptation of the manga Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm) was pretty good (despite taking quite a bit of liberties in adaptation) & successful with great (live) action fights that translated the manga's choreography incredibly well to the big (real people) screen, and a live action DB movie (which coincidentally they share being owned by Disney post-20th Century Fox buyouy) could take a lot of inspiration from it
Arcane is a great 3D show too, so anything is possible.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 08, 2022 9:29 am

I'm not entirely sure how film rights work but but I would assume that it wouldn't be much longer than 10 years since we saw Sony and Fox rushing out Spider-man and Fantastic Four reboots to maintain the rights of those films. A Dragon Ball live action film hasn't been made in 13 years so I'm guessing Fox distributing the last 3 anime films allows them to maintain the rights.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 08, 2022 9:43 am

sangofe wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:09 am
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 am
Arcane is a great 3D show too, so anything is possible.
Arcane was indeed excellent yes, with a good deal of planning and thought in the production as much as the writing