WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:00 pm

They're not going to make a live action Dragon Ball adaption with Toriyama's perverted stuff. If they made an 18+ adaption for adults I'd be interested in checking it out but all things considered, that's not happening.

I'd be interested in a sexy animated series or special, though. Movie #20 had incredibly sexy drawings throughout the entire film. I'd love to have more of that.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:54 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:53 pm So it's somehow okay to do away with the sexuality and violence but you leave behind Toriyama's art and visuals and it's suddenly a crime??
Toriyama's art is good and having women be sexually assaulted as a joke is bad.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 01, 2022 8:04 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:54 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:53 pm So it's somehow okay to do away with the sexuality and violence but you leave behind Toriyama's art and visuals and it's suddenly a crime??
Yeah. I love Dragon Ball for what it is, but it is very much a story that was written for its time. I wouldn't be against some aspects of Dragon Ball being cut out like the sexual humour, homophobia or racial undertones. There are quite a few aspects of Dragon Ball that have just not aged well at all. Hell, even to this day, Dragon Ball still has a few bad habits when it comes to its storytelling that it still hasn't shaken off.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 01, 2022 8:58 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:04 am
Yeah. I love Dragon Ball for what it is, but it is very much a story that was written for its time.
That content was not appropriate in 1984, either. Women and our allies just had less of a microphone to shout about it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 01, 2022 9:30 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:58 am

Yeah. I love Dragon Ball for what it is, but it is very much a story that was written for its time.
That content was not appropriate in 1984, either. Women and our allies just had less of a microphone to shout about it.
In the West, there's no doubt in my mind that if that kind of content was seen in American comic books, they would kick up a massive stir about it. In Japan... well... I wouldn't think so.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 01, 2022 9:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:30 am
In the West, there's no doubt in my mind that if that kind of content was seen in American comic books, they would kick up a massive stir about it. In Japan... well... I wouldn't think so.
'The west' has the same issue with allowing misogyny in their media. That's besides the point, though. The idea that a girl or women wouldn't find this shit tiring in 1984 because they're Japanese is such a huge stretch to make. Would they have necessarily talked about it? I can't say, which is why I mentioned a lack of vocalism, but female animation and comic scholars have existed in Japan at least as long as the modern (1950s-onward) era of animation and comics, if not longer.

If I'm not making it clear enough—and I am not trying to single you out here—I'm always finding these weird qualifiers of "a product of its time" really fucking ridiculous, as if women wanting to read various types of media and not get shat all over by said media started in 2022 or some shit. Fuck me, I've been a Dragon Ball fan longer than some of adult users on this forum have been alive.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 01, 2022 12:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:47 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:30 am

'The west' has the same issue with allowing misogyny in their media. That's besides the point, though. The idea that a girl or women wouldn't find this shit tiring in 1984 because they're Japanese is such a huge stretch to make. Would they have necessarily talked about it? I can't say, which is why I mentioned a lack of vocalism, but female animation and comic scholars have existed in Japan at least as long as the modern (1950s-onward) era of animation and comics, if not longer.

If I'm not making it clear enough—and I am not trying to single you out here—I'm always finding these weird qualifiers of "a product of its time" really fucking ridiculous, as if women wanting to read various types of media and not get shat all over by said media started in 2022 or some shit. Fuck me, I've been a Dragon Ball fan longer than some of adult users on this forum have been alive.
I only say Dragon Ball was written as a product for its time in the context that, yes, how sensitive topics were handled and how women were written for comics aimed at the shonen demographic was problematic but was not seen as a major problem because, at the end of the day, it's just seen as a comic for children.

This isn't to suggest there may not have been some commentary provided before, during or shortly after Dragon Ball's original run regarding how comics aimed predominately at the Shonen demographic were writing women. It's just that readers of Shonen comics had certain preferences for what they wanted women to be written in Shonen comics.

Hirohiko Araki gave an eye-opening commentary on the subject of how women were written in shonen comics during Dragon Ball's period (1980s):
"When this part (Battle Tendency) was originally serialized, the girls that showed up in Shonen manga were all cute types--essentially the stereotype of "a man's ideal girl." Readers weren't looking for a realistic portrayal of women, but instead, the type of girl that giggles during a conversation with heart marks appearing next to her. That's why I think a warrior-type character like Lisa Lisa felt fresh."
Source

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun May 01, 2022 12:51 pm

You can have the raunchy humor without it being a beat for beat recreation of the comic/anime. That's where the director and writer's creativity comes in.

At the same time though you can have an acceptable live action Dragon Ball film with zero sexual humor and it'll carry the spirit of the series, Raditz to Boo is the most popular portion of the story and there're no dirty jokes throughout any of it.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 01, 2022 1:15 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:53 pm
Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:17 pm Also, lol. They absolutely would tone down both the violence and the sexuality for a mainstream film, and they would be right to do so. Oolong and Roshi are fucking gross and if you think their behavior should be retained you're probably gross too and should go away.
So it's somehow okay to do away with the sexuality and violence but you leave behind Toriyama's art and visuals and it's suddenly a crime??

It's a lose-lose situation no matter which way you slice it, as long as a live-action adaptation is mainstream and/or marketed to families and children.
The sexual humor basically disappears after the 23rd TB, why are you being so damn weird about this????
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 01, 2022 2:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:09 pm
I only say Dragon Ball was written as a product for its time in the context that, yes, how sensitive topics were handled and how women were written for comics aimed at the shonen demographic was problematic but was not seen as a major problem because, at the end of the day, it's just seen as a comic for children.

This isn't to suggest there may not have been some commentary provided before, during or shortly after Dragon Ball's original run regarding how comics aimed predominately at the Shonen demographic were writing women. It's just that readers of Shonen comics had certain preferences for what they wanted women to be written in Shonen comics.

Hirohiko Araki gave an eye-opening commentary on the subject of how women were written in shonen comics during Dragon Ball's period (1980s):
"When this part (Battle Tendency) was originally serialized, the girls that showed up in Shonen manga were all cute types--essentially the stereotype of "a man's ideal girl." Readers weren't looking for a realistic portrayal of women, but instead, the type of girl that giggles during a conversation with heart marks appearing next to her. That's why I think a warrior-type character like Lisa Lisa felt fresh."
Source
Your average ten year old is not buying shounen comics specifically for the misogyny that the adult men (and only men are allowed to work at JUMP) put into their comics. Furthermore, it's the role of adults to correct those ideas in the minds of children, not re-enforce them.

That Araki quote doesn't even apply because you can create a female character without treating them as a nuisance and icky girl that the readers shouldn't identify with. The first four chapters alone are chock full of this shit.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 01, 2022 2:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:05 pm

Source
Your average ten year old is not buying shounen comics specifically for the misogyny that the adult men (and only men are allowed to work at JUMP) put into their comics. Furthermore, it's the role of adults to correct those ideas in the minds of children, not re-enforce them.

That Araki quote doesn't even apply because you can create a female character without treating them as a nuisance and icky girl that the readers shouldn't identify with. The first four chapters alone are chock full of this shit.
Most young boys who read shonen comics read them for the escapism and self-insert power fantasy that characters like Son Goku, Kenshiro, Kenshin, and Monkey D Luffy provide. The unfortunate reality is that, due to how historically sexist Japan is, aspects of what contributes to the escapism include some very problematic narrative context surrounding the role of women. It doesn't have to even be thematically or directly linked to the escapist character itself, it's usually just an unfortunate byproduct of that male power fantasy.

And even with how well fleshed out Bulma is as a character, Toriyama is still very much guilty of using Bulma (and other female characters) for cheap, gross and unfunny sexual humour or to parrot outdated stereotypes about women.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:43 pm

Source

Most young boys who read shonen comics read them for the escapism and self-insert power fantasy that characters like Son Goku, Kenshiro, Kenshin, and Monkey D Luffy provide. The unfortunate reality is that, due to how historically sexist Japan is, aspects of what contributes to the escapism include some very problematic narrative context surrounding the role of women. It doesn't have to even be thematically or directly linked to the escapist character itself, it's usually just an unfortunate byproduct of that male power fantasy.

And even with how well fleshed out Bulma is as a character, Toriyama is still very much guilty of using Bulma (and other female characters) for cheap, gross and unfunny sexual humour or to parrot outdated stereotypes about women.
Toriyama, editorial and publishing don't need anyone defending their shit like this.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 01, 2022 7:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Toriyama, editorial and publishing don't need anyone defending their shit like this.
I don't think he's defending them at all, just explaining the wider context of it as you are.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:28 pm What's the closest analog, The Matrix? That's not doing it for me with Dragon Ball. And the absolute last thing I want to see is Dragon Ball Marvel-ized.

Wrestling is a meme business now lol
I know a lot peeps point towards Man of Steel's final battle between Superman and Zod as evidence of DBZ-esque stylised over the top fighting working in live-action, plus I'm sure there are plenty of others flicks in the same vein which do carry DB vibes, like Kung Fu Hustle. Even the amount of 3D/CGI material of DB we have could be used as evidence for/that could be compared to a possible live-action DB. As for wrestling, it's still what it's always been, goofy spandex-wearing ppl doing impressive athletic maneuvers/ strong strikes with accentuating cinematography, I think there's still some possible takeaways from it to apply to live-action
Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:17 pm And yes, I know this may sound hypocritical coming from a Sonic fan, but I think this is largely true about Sonic as well. The series only survived the 2000s because Yuji Uekawa's design sense and the general spectacle of the series remained so strong, and the movie looks...not great. I know Tyson Hesse saved the whole thing with his redesign, but I still don't like it. Sonic's proportions are weird, his face and teeth are still more detailed than they should be (what is up with those wrinkles whenever he scowls?), and it just doesn't have the fluidity of Ohshima or the solidity of Uekawa. The rest of the movie is just boring real-world locations and very generic-looking robots. I admit I haven't seen much of the sequel (saving it for my podcast further down the line), but these movies trying their absolute best managed the staggering peak of quality for live-action game movies called "basically okay", and I think Dragon Ball deserves better than that. It's not going to get there with a milquetoast live action attempt, no matter how many Marvel movie comparisons you make.
Sonic 2's pretty fun, it's worth a watch, & especially the last Sonic vs Knuckles fight (as it pertains to this thread) did evoke a DB-like impression.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 01, 2022 7:57 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:28 pm

:eh:

I'm not defending any of this. Like... at all. I'm kinda mystified that you've come to that conclusion. Especially considering I've complained about Dragon Ball's problematic writing of female characters in the past, and even in this very thread, specifically mention about how some aspects of Dragon Ball would be better left out should a live-action remake happen.
I wouldn't be against some aspects of Dragon Ball being cut out like the sexual humour, homophobia or racial undertones. There are quite a few aspects of Dragon Ball that have just not aged well at all. Hell, even to this day, Dragon Ball still has a few bad habits when it comes to its storytelling that it still hasn't shaken off.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun May 01, 2022 9:43 pm

DB has aged just fine. The sexuality, violence, homophobia, and racism is not a "product of its time". Rather, it's timeless.

Julie right. Shit was awful in the 80s and shit is just as awful now. How some individuals may or may not respond to it is irrelevant. Social systems don't work like that.

Seeing Popo come shuffling out always puts a smile on my face. Blue and Oboccha together makes me laugh. And Roshi and Oolong's antics are some of my favorite moments in the entire series. But I also understand why so many others might have a problem with those things. And that goes for 1980s Japan as well as in the present day West.

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:15 pm The sexual humor basically disappears after the 23rd TB, why are you being so damn weird about this????
It lessens but it always remains, especially in the anime. As it should remain. Because the sexual perversion is a part of Dragon Ball's soul. It cannot be separated from the story and its characters. Love it or hate it, this is what the series is, for better or worse. Any attempts to deny that are deeply misguided in my view.

I will agree however that it may not be the best choice to perpetuate these aspects of the series in any future potential adaptations.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:54 pm

MyVisionity when he sees Roshi sexually harass or suggest that he violate a female character on screen (it's part of the timeless and authentic Dragon Ball™ Soul):

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 02, 2022 5:11 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:43 pm It lessens but it always remains, especially in the anime. As it should remain. Because the sexual perversion is a part of Dragon Ball's soul. It cannot be separated from the story and its characters. Love it or hate it, this is what the series is, for better or worse. Any attempts to deny that are deeply misguided in my view.
You do this just about any time you paint yourself into a corner arguing. "The soul of Dragon Ball" is not a material thing that any individual gets to personally decide the definition or significance of. The Dragon Ball manga and Dragon Ball anime have existed for decades and they will never stop existing.

I mean, fuck, you're in here complaining that I said a visual medium needs to preserve the visuals of the original work, but somehow the part that everyone agrees is fucking gross and weird is part of some unchanging soul nobody gets to question? This is just you taking the long way around telling everyone else to shut up and stop contradicting you.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 02, 2022 6:00 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:11 am You do this just about any time you paint yourself into a corner arguing. "The soul of Dragon Ball" is not a material thing that any individual gets to personally decide the definition or significance of. The Dragon Ball manga and Dragon Ball anime have existed for decades and they will never stop existing.

I mean, fuck, you're in here complaining that I said a visual medium needs to preserve the visuals of the original work, but somehow the part that everyone agrees is fucking gross and weird is part of some unchanging soul nobody gets to question? This is just you taking the long way around telling everyone else to shut up and stop contradicting you.
No, all I'm saying is that I don't think the sexuality in the series is incidental. I think it's integral. And when you deny an integral part of something, I believe that is misguided.

Trying to edit out the sex, violence, and racism from the series is misguided. Or rather, trying to pretend it doesn't even exist.

The visuals are important sure, but how can the sexual perversion be any less important? It's a key part of Roshi's characterization, and a recurring aspect of the series. Bulma, Lunch, Roshi, Oolong, they all owe their existence at least in part due to sexual perversion. This is what I mean when I say it's inseparable from the series. The "soul" of the manga and anime that as you said has existed for decades.

Also, yes, many people find it to be fucking gross and weird. Many other people find it to be fucking awesome and hilarious. Clearly it doesn't elicit just one solitary universal reaction out of people.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Mon May 02, 2022 7:15 am

dont mind me I'm going to leave an on topic reply here jfdjdfghjd

so this is a topic I'm rather mixed about to be honest.. because on one hand its quite possible that we could get something incredible from the right directors and really... just anyone working on the film who has a very thorough understanding of the franchise at least would be really interesting! id love to see a take on the story where its half life action and half somewhat cartoon-ishly animated yet still having some textures that make it feel not too out of place for the aesthetic of the film? bc thats been working wonders for both detective pikachu and the sonic cinematic universe (thats p much confirmed at this point) films,,,
but at the same time.. i dont think any of us want a repeat of db evolution.. Image

i am up for seeing what kind of style theyd like to do with a new live action or at least western produced dragon ball film tho!
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 02, 2022 9:51 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:00 am
No, all I'm saying is that I don't think the sexuality in the series is incidental. I think it's integral. And when you deny an integral part of something, I believe that is misguided.

Trying to edit out the sex, violence, and racism from the series is misguided. Or rather, trying to pretend it doesn't even exist.

The visuals are important sure, but how can the sexual perversion be any less important? It's a key part of Roshi's characterization, and a recurring aspect of the series. Bulma, Lunch, Roshi, Oolong, they all owe their existence at least in part due to sexual perversion. This is what I mean when I say it's inseparable from the series. The "soul" of the manga and anime that as you said has existed for decades.

Also, yes, many people find it to be fucking gross and weird. Many other people find it to be fucking awesome and hilarious. Clearly it doesn't elicit just one solitary universal reaction out of people.

Do you ever read what you post or do you just spew nonsense on autopilot?

You know you can have sexuality without having sexual assault and harrassment right? Roshi can enjoy reading porn mags and watching suggestive jazzercise and admiring hot women in swim suits without trying to grab his housekeepers ass while she's cooking dinner or insisting a teen girl let him bury his face in her chest. And Roshi, Lunch, and Bulma all have far more going on for them beyond sexual perversion. That's not what makes those characters. And Oolong is such a superfluous character at the end of the day you can omit him and lose absolutely nothing.

And not including racism and sexual harrassment in an ADAPTATION isn't editing it out its just not including it. Nobody is asking the already existing anime to remove that stuff.