Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 115 - GT 64, Path to Power (FINAL WEEK)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 115 - GT 64, Path to Power (FINAL WEEK)

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:48 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 115 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We watched five episodes a week, and we watched every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encouraged you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you had never done so before. Did you? No shame if you didn't, the point of this was to enjoy it after all.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for taking part, everyone!

Previous thread: Week 114 (GT 59-63)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 508 - Goodbye, Goku… Until the Day We Meet Again (GT episode 64)
Ocean dub title: Farewell, Goku. Until We Meet Again.
Funimation dub title: Until We Meet Again
Originally aired 19th of November 1997

Scenario by: Atsushi Maekawa
Episode director: Hidehiko Kadota
Animation supervisor: Naoki Miyahara

The End...?

Trivia:

Dragon Ball Movie - The Path to Ultimate Strength
Funimation dub title: Path to Power
Originally released 4th of March 1996

Written by: Aya Matsui
Episode director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi
Animation supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

The Beginning...?

Trivia:

____

Trivia written by KBABZ and Robo. Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide. Except Robo did it because the summaries for GT still haven't been added for some reason.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 115 - GT 64, Path to Power (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:52 pm

Oh you thought you were done reading? Well in addition to doing Trivia for GT 64 and Path to Power, I also went back and did the Goku Jr. Special too!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:50 pm

While we're on our 5,788,989th Can Dragon Ball work in live action thread?!?!?!?!?!?! elsewhere I just want to reiterate that if Hollywood were to make a live action Dragon Ball film Path to Ultimate Power is basically a perfect blueprint. Just excise Hachan entirely (I suggest inserting Gyumao and Chi Chi into the film with Gyumao being the one revived at the end so Chi Chi has a reason to like Goku beyond kicking her in the vagina) and have Kuririn as an established student of Kame Sennin when Goku and the gang meet Roshi so he can take Turtles place as the one irritated with his masters behavior and to establish a Goku and Kuririn bond in movie 1

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:09 pm

Is there any intention in continuing this? The OVAs, movies and eventually a Dragon Ball Super rewatch, perhaps?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:50 pm While we're on our 5,788,989th Can Dragon Ball work in live action thread?!?!?!?!?!?! elsewhere I just want to reiterate that if Hollywood were to make a live action Dragon Ball film Path to Ultimate Power is basically a perfect blueprint. Just excise Hachan entirely (I suggest inserting Gyumao and Chi Chi into the film with Gyumao being the one revived at the end so Chi Chi has a reason to like Goku beyond kicking her in the vagina) and have Kuririn as an established student of Kame Sennin when Goku and the gang meet Roshi so he can take Turtles place as the one irritated with his masters behavior and to establish a Goku and Kuririn bond in movie 1
I'd add one modifier to your idea: Oolong is cut entirely, and have Turtle take Goku and Bulma to Kame House. While there, Krillin arrives, but Roshi doesn't seem enthusiastic about teaching him compared to Goku... so Krillin tags along hoping to slip in anyway.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:09 pm Is there any intention in continuing this? The OVAs, movies and eventually a Dragon Ball Super rewatch, perhaps?
Dude we already covered all sixteen classic movies AND the three classic specials!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:20 pm

You've done a lot, I'm sure of it, but Dragon Ball has been resurrected from the dead. After all those sixteen movies and three TV Specials, there's more work to be done.

I will understand if Dragon Ball Super is not in the plans (hell, who wants to rewatch that!?), but the movies and OVAs should be a walk in the park.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:20 pm You've done a lot, I'm sure of it, but Dragon Ball has been resurrected from the dead. After all those sixteen movies and three TV Specials, there's more work to be done.

I will understand if Dragon Ball Super is not in the plans (hell, who wants to rewatch that!?), but the movies and OVAs should be a walk in the park.
Robo and KBABZ have been doing this with dedication for over 2 years and I'm pretty sure Robo had said from the beginning he wasn't interested in going past GT because he's a not a big fan of the revival era and both of them are probably burnt out.

Nothing is stopping anyone else from making rewatch thread dedicated to the modern movies and ova if one is inclined however.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:27 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:15 pm I'd add one modifier to your idea: Oolong is cut entirely, and have Turtle take Goku and Bulma to Kame House. While there, Krillin arrives, but Roshi doesn't seem enthusiastic about teaching him compared to Goku... so Krillin tags along hoping to slip in anyway.

Oh, I agree with you. Oolong is useless and superfluous

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:50 pm While we're on our 5,788,989th Can Dragon Ball work in live action thread?!?!?!?!?!?! elsewhere I just want to reiterate that if Hollywood were to make a live action Dragon Ball film Path to Ultimate Power is basically a perfect blueprint. Just excise Hachan entirely (I suggest inserting Gyumao and Chi Chi into the film with Gyumao being the one revived at the end so Chi Chi has a reason to like Goku beyond kicking her in the vagina) and have Kuririn as an established student of Kame Sennin when Goku and the gang meet Roshi so he can take Turtles place as the one irritated with his masters behavior and to establish a Goku and Kuririn bond in movie 1
Agreed, though honestly I like Hatchan appearing. Gives the film a solid emotional core. Though I will concede there are probably other ways to achieve that. I also agree with KBABZ about Oolong being cut. Just, get him the fuck outta there.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:09 pm Is there any intention in continuing this? The OVAs, movies and eventually a Dragon Ball Super rewatch, perhaps?
Sorry, no. From the outset, the intention was to do the original 1986-1997 anime and the attached movies and TV specials. The revival era was never part of the scope here, and at this point, frankly, I'm relieved to not have to work on trivia and such anymore... :lol:

Not to say I didn't enjoy what we've done so far, but KBABZ and I have no intention of continuing. If anyone wants to do their own rewatch of the post-1997 OVAs, movies, and/or Super, go ham. But KBABZ and me? We're done.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:24 pm I'm pretty sure Robo had said from the beginning he wasn't interested in going past GT because he's a not a big fan of the revival era
This is true, and KBABZ is with me on this; the revival era is pretty sucky on the whole. The only really worthwhile stuff has been the 2008 OVA (literally the first piece of media in the revival era) and Super Broly. Everything else has been, at best, somewhat entertaining but totally disposable.

Even if I had the motivation to continue on past the original era, I just do not care enough about Super to watch it again, nor do I have any interest in attempting to write insightful trivia about it. The only commentary I'm interested in giving on Super is how deeply wrongfooted its entire approach is, and how tragically close it is to being actually good. Toriyama sometimes delivers really well (Super: Broly), but for the most part it's clear he's not exactly brimming with fresh, new ideas, and no one at Toei is interested in saying "No" to him.
In fact, I would go as far as to say every episode of Super is worse than every episode of OG DB, in my opinion.

So, yeah, I'm happy to end things where they originally ended. GT 64 is a perfect conclusion to Dragon Ball, and while the rest does exist, my Dragon Ball is the original 508 episodes (plus the three TV specials and some of the movies, and sometimes Kai if I'm feeling generous).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:24 pmI'm pretty sure Robo had said from the beginning he wasn't interested in going past GT because he's a not a big fan of the revival era
Well, can't blame them. It is indeed an era not worth (re)visiting.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:24 pmNothing is stopping anyone else from making rewatch thread dedicated to the modern movies and ova if one is inclined however.
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pmIf anyone wants to do their own rewatch of the post-1997 OVAs, movies, and/or Super, go ham. But KBABZ and me? We're done.
Oh I would. But even though I pay attention to details, these dudes take it to another level. I'm not capable of doing long-ass trivia spoiler like they do, bringing up the smallest, tiniest detail I can possibly find.
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pmSorry, no. From the outset, the intention was to do the original 1986-1997 anime and the attached movies and TV specials. The revival era was never part of the scope here, and at this point, frankly, I'm relieved to not have to work on trivia and such anymore... :lol:
Understandable. Then I leave this rewatch, even though I didn't rewatch it myself (but I did read most of the threads), with a very satisfied discussion I had in one of these threads. The subject was one of my favorites (figuring out the anime continuity in order to fit the movies) to discuss about. It was an outstanding amount of effort and time done by you guys. Great job! :clap:

See you all in whatever project you might have in mind for the future! :thumbup:

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:52 pm

Glad we made it to the end eventually!
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:56 pm

I don’t get why people voted to cover the movie alongside episode 64, but since episode 64 has already been talked about to death for the past 20+ years, I guess I’ll focus on talking about the movie.

It’s fine. The fact that it’s the length of an actual feature film, albeit a fairly short one, means it works a bit better than DB Movie 1 at retelling the events of the manga, but it doesn’t do much to really stand out from the stories it’s adapting, outside of taking itself a bit more seriously.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:20 pm

I found the thing with Goku's gi changing from his classic all blue one to the GT blue/yellow one an interesting detail, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was a not so subtle reference given Dragon Ball GT had premiered on TV less than a month earlier plus the same composer and a lot of the same animation staff people working on the show at the same time. It's got the trappings of the show yet is covering the early part of the manga. Definitely an interesting mix of something already over a decade old and what was just recently debuted to broadcast at the time.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:56 pm I don’t get why people voted to cover the movie alongside episode 64, but since episode 64 has already been talked about to death for the past 20+ years, I guess I’ll focus on talking about the movie.
This was actually an idea that I had very early on and I'm really glad it's what wound up happening. The idea was to put some reflection on how far the series had come: after we finished up with the very end of the story, we go all the way back to the beginning. Path to Power retells the story's earliest adventure, drastically different from Z and GT, and yet it was done at the end of the production run, meaning its art style is inherently different from OG-DB. So it's the perfect way to contrast how far the series had come, both from a writing and production perspective.

Path to Power was exactly what I expected it to be, in that it was still a Dragon Ball movie that throws in a lot of story without actually bothering to tell it well, thinking that it can sell itself simply on it existing (a trend I noticed in a great many of the other movies, and something Super banks on quite a lot). For me it has a few major selling points:
  1. It has IMO the best telling of Goku meeting Bulma in the anime
  2. It has easily the prettiest and most gorgeous drawings in the entire franchise
  3. It's close to being the swan song of pretty much everyone involved in the production in their prime, with Hiromi Tsuru, Masako Nozawa and more revisiting the original stories ten years after they first played the characters, but before they would noticeably age for Kai and Super. PtP and GT are very much the end of an era in that regard.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:47 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:24 pmI'm pretty sure Robo had said from the beginning he wasn't interested in going past GT because he's a not a big fan of the revival era
Well, can't blame them. It is indeed an era not worth (re)visiting.
The idea behind this Rewatch series was to go through it all in a manner close to how it was experienced in Japan 30-40 years ago, which was particularly important when it came to sprinkling in the movies. Today the movies and OVAs are often isolated out of their original context alongside the run of the manga and anime. While we moved around practically all of them (Path to Power being the most notable one), we kept them around when they originally screened.

Doing so revealed a lot about them to me, including:
  • Overall it highlights that Toei made the movies alongside doing the anime. This gets particularly noticeable in 1990, where they do TWO movies a year for the first time, and 1993, when they did History of Trunks, Broly, Bojack Unbound and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans.
  • The three Dragon Ball movies were far more concerned with telling their own version of the manga with original characters and ideas, and all three have continuity with each other as they tell the story of Goku's life. Both of these ideas would be dropped for the DBZ movies, likely because that made them easier to write.
  • The movies only barely qualify as such since they're effectively 40 minute ads for the franchise at the point in time they were created, hype pieces intended to be viewed at a festival alongside Toei's other anime properties. Specials like Bardock, Goku Jr. and the three modern movies have a lot more effort put behind their stories (quality of said stories aside).
  • If you go back and compare the dates, Toriyama introduced Bubbles not too long after Michael Jackson first visited Japan, meaning that visit possibly inspired Toriyama to add his Bubbles.
  • Toei REALLY liked reusing story, setting and character ideas pilfered from Toriyama's manga at the approximate time they were made, particularly Dead Zone (God's Lookout), Lord Slug (Namek), Cooler (Frieza), the Androids (13-15) and Boo (Janemba and Fusion).
  • Toei also REALLY liked the river fish for some reason. It became a running joke between me and Robo that I kept finding the damn thing making cameos, which led us to including the fish in the kill counter.
  • The nature of Toei making the Bardock Special, Toei acknowledging it in the manga, and then Toei referencing it again at the start of the Frieza fight, isn't apparent at all until you watch it all this way.
  • If you keep Kai in mind, Yamamoto's rise and downfall in Dragon Ball occur in the exact same scene: Trunks killing Mecha Frieza.
  • It takes Toei a surprisingly long time to introduce Vegeta as a main character in the movies, given his absence in Lord Slug and Return of Cooler.
  • 1993 is Dragon Ball's peak in popularity after the surge created by Namek, Frieza and Super Saiyan Goku. There were more things happening in this year than any other, which explains why Super plucked Goku and Vegeta's designs in Super from this era of the franchise.
  • I didn't even realize that the anime created its own home for the Son family only for Toriyama to create his own part-way into the Android Arc. You don't get this if you don't watch the anime and the movies side-by-side.
  • Return of Cooler introduces Dende in the role of God WAY before Toriyama actually uses this idea in the manga. Again, you don't get this if you don't watch the movie inside of a rewatch of the anime.
  • Toriyama's exhaustion during the Boo Arc and the way he got around to actually ending the whole thing isn't as apparent if you don't also include GT, where he is surprisingly open about how frustrated he is that Toei continuing things means he still has to design shit for the series for a while longer. All he wanted to do is sit down and NOT DO DRAGON BALL for a few years!
  • Toei (and possibly Toriyama as well) really had no idea what to do with Oob in a post-manga setting.
  • A lot of GT's story issues make a lot more sense rewatching everything in their premiere order, because you realize that Toei had to spin up their own, almost completely original anime alongside doing Z AND its movies, because they left no time for themselves after Z ended.
  • The quality of Movie 13, Wrath of the Dragon, is explained somewhat because it was written after the manga had ended; it's one of the few movies to not copy what was going on in the story at the time.
  • Very few voice actresses have actually played Pan in both End of Z and GT, let alone in Kai on top of that.
  • Goku's mysterious nature at the end of the Goku Jr. Special is foreshadowing GT's ending, since Toei already knew kinda what Goku's fate would be.
  • Similarly, Toei re-use Goku Jr. for End of GT, with Goku Jr., Pan and Puck in a post-Special state and Goku Jr. taking up martial arts properly. If you watch the Goku Jr. Special out of context, their re-use of these characters for End of GT isn't obvious, and may even be misconstrued as the other way around.
  • Path to Power's frequent use of digital effects, a first for the franchise at the time and likely Toei's earliest experiments with the art form. This is interesting because the movie was one of the last major Dragon Ball productions to animate to film cells rather than digitally; after this and GT, the next two are the Jump Special and Battle of Gods.
Ultimately, I'd be much more interested in watching both the Dr. Slump anime than going through Super.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:47 pm Understandable. Then I leave this rewatch, even though I didn't rewatch it myself (but I did read most of the threads), with a very satisfied discussion I had in one of these threads. The subject was one of my favorites (figuring out the anime continuity in order to fit the movies) to discuss about.
I actually kept up doing that! I'm glad I did because the Goku Jr. Special introduced its own special continuity problem that I came up with a REALLY clever solution for, enabling GT to happen exactly as we see it with the Pilaf Gang alive (allowing for Pan's photos to still be taken). I'm considering making a thread for it soon.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:27 am

This is how I'vfe always seen it, though I would've had Krillin in Oolong's role but on the search for Roshi, and Oolong would be Yamcha's partner in crime. Streamline the shapeshifting animal characters that have no importance past movie 1, y'know? Plus you can have Danny Devito play him and get some name recognition :lol:

I'd make Tao the"final boss," too.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:50 am

I miss seeing the credits scroll at the end of 64. It gives the series an extra sense of finality, as well as gratitude. It's a shame it isn't included in the releases. That end sequence is awkward without it.

I like the Road to Strongest movie as an anniversary commemoration, and it looks nice, but the story isn't very good. It's way too heartfelt, and takes itself a bit too seriously. The Red Ribbon redesigns were shit. And that ending with Hacchan is fucking awful. Talk about over the top. Crybaby Goku and his orchestra? No thank you.

I like that Bulma had her manga hair color and wish that maybe Toei had given her that color in the previous movies as well. Separate from the TV series.

Oolong's got haters, I see, but you can't cut him out. Besides the fact that he's a great character portrayed reliably by Naoki Tatsuta, he's also a member of the original core four. It's an anniversary movie after all. Not to mention the JttW connections.

The final episode of Dragon Ball's classic anime run, GT Episode 64, aired on the 31st of January 1996.
Nah, that was Z. GT ended on the 19th of November 1997 like you mentioned above :) . Saban's dub was in its second season at the time.

Mamba's name is possibly derived from the Black Mamba, the second-longest venomous snake in the world and also the fastest.
Manba/Mamba is probably taken from yamanba, a yōkai that lives in the mountains and appears as a woman.

Sorry, no. From the outset, the intention was to do the original 1986-1997 anime and the attached movies and TV specials. The revival era was never part of the scope here, and at this point, frankly, I'm relieved to not have to work on trivia and such anymore... :lol:
How come no Traffic Safety and Fire Safety PSAs??

Great work on the rewatch threads and thanks for all the trivia!!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:18 am

You can't go wrong with GT episode 64. Goku's departure is emotional, bittersweet, nostalgic and everything you could ask for from a hero's final farewell. I do like the idea of there being divine intervention between him and Shenron and him being in a sort of mediary phase between life and death. We've seen so many characters die in Dragon Ball, including Goku, so why not do something different and mysterious, particularly with a character who at this point is regarded as legendary?

I really love Path to Power too. I think it's really cool that as Kikuchi's rightful successor that he gets to score a throwback to where it all began. Just a shame TOEI never brought him back for Kai, as he would have been a logical choice for that for similar reasons, and there would have been no music controversy. Funnily enough it's also the only one of the 17 original movies and TV specials that never had any sort of release in the UK and Ireland (Manga UK released all the Z movies and specials on Double Features, the GT special on the green bricks, Warner Vision and AB released Z movies 2-4 and everything that had a "Big Green dub", including OG Dragon Ball movies 1-3 aired on Toonami UK).

I would be up for doing a "Revival era" series of rewatch threads covering Super and the new movies if anyone would be interested in collaborating with me, just DM and we can go from there (although be warned we'll need to work hard as Robo and KBABZ did :lol:). Robo4900 and KBABZ most certainly deserve a long rest after their dedication and tireless work for the last 2+ years on these threads, as they must have co-written a book between them detailing the history of the series, as it originally aired from 1986 to 1997 and the relevant English airings. They deserve all our respect for this project.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:45 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:18 am I would be up for doing a "Revival era" series of rewatch threads covering Super and the new movies if anyone would be interested in collaborating with me, just DM and we can go from there (although be warned we'll need to work hard as Robo and KBABZ did :lol:). Robo4900 and KBABZ most certainly deserve a long rest after their dedication and tireless work for the last 2+ years on these threads, as they must have co-written a book between them detailing the history of the series, as it originally aired from 1986 to 1997 and the relevant English airings. They deserve all our respect for this project.
Robo certainly specialized in the Ocean and Blue Water trivia, while I focused on Funimation's DB and Kai dubs plus the ViZ manga. I tended to write the bulk of the trivia entries; you may notice the amount dropping significantly in the GT episodes where I was busy on the Horizon: Forbidden West IGN guide. But every week we both went over the entries together so we were happy with them.

Funnily enough, if we included my Goku Jr. trivia in the opening post, it would have exceeded Kanzenshuu's 60,000 character limit. The only time we ACTUALLY did that was End of Z, which was because I read the manga version, watched the Z version AND watched the Kai version!

For the OG-DB Trivia I used my The First Chapters changelog notes, while for Z I read my Full Colors before buying the DBZ manga boxset for the Android, Cell and Boo Arcs, which was the first time I'd ever read that portion of the manga. With GT I watched the episodes themselves, but because of the time commitment to watch them AND do the trivia afterwards, I had to drop them when I started on the Forbidden West guide. Starting with Z we started including more production details, which is sadly something I didn't do when we started; I never did trivia on Dragon Ball's beginnings as a result.

---

If you DO end up doing a Rewatch of the modern stuff, IMO you should start with the Jump Special, and also include Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, since it's what me and Robo would have done I'm sure (the only things we abjectly skipped were the safety specials and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. I did the Terebikko game and the recap specials of my own accord).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:28 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:45 amIf you DO end up doing a Rewatch of the modern stuff, IMO you should start with the Jump Special, and also include Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, since it's what me and Robo would have done I'm sure (the only things we abjectly skipped were the safety specials and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. I did the Terebikko game and the recap specials of my own accord).
Well the Jump special was covered, and had an extensive trivia section done for it. If a modern rewatch happens though and people missed the Bonus thread they are welcome to rewatch it then, and I can try to add to what you and Robo wrote for it, if I can.

Including Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans and Episode of Bardock is a good idea because they were released alongside Kai, which of course followed the Jump special, meaning Dragon Ball had a very gradual resurgence that was in full swing during Super's run and is now rather low-key with the exception of the manga and Super Dragon Ball Heroes.

Another issue with doing a revival rewatch is do you watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection F before Super or after the corresponding arcs? The movies were released first after all, but then a lot of people would be happy enough to just skip the first 27 episodes because they would be all caught up after watching them anyway.

One idea I had was the first week being Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, Episode of Bardock, the first 2 episodes of Super and then the next week people had a choice of Battle of Gods or Super episodes 3-7 (or both if they had time) and anyone who chose the former could skip the next two weeks. Similarly week 5 could be Resurrection F or episodes 18-23.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:42 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:28 am
KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:45 amIf you DO end up doing a Rewatch of the modern stuff, IMO you should start with the Jump Special, and also include Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, since it's what me and Robo would have done I'm sure (the only things we abjectly skipped were the safety specials and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. I did the Terebikko game and the recap specials of my own accord).
Well the Jump special was covered, and had an extensive trivia section done for it. If a modern rewatch happens though and people missed the Bonus thread they are welcome to rewatch it then, and I can try to add to what you and Robo wrote for it, if I can.

Including Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans and Episode of Bardock is a good idea because they were released alongside Kai, which of course followed the Jump special, meaning Dragon Ball had a very gradual resurgence that was in full swing during Super's run and is now rather low-key with the exception of the manga and Super Dragon Ball Heroes.

Another issue with doing a revival rewatch is do you watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection F before Super or after the corresponding arcs? The movies were released first after all, but then a lot of people would be happy enough to just skip the first 27 episodes because they would be all caught up after watching them anyway.
In the spirit of the Classic Rewatch, I'd say watch both. Part of the Rewatch's idea was to have a fascimile of the original watching experience, and doing both the movies and then the first two arcs will help highlight the strengths and weaknesses of both.

Personally, I'd have your first few weeks be thus:
  • Week 1: Jump Special, Super Eradicate and Episode of Bardock
  • Week 2: Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'
  • Week 3: Super Episodes 1-5
I'd say have the Jump Special be optional-but-highly-encouraged. While me and Robo DID cover it for our End of Z week, its historical significance as the first major Dragon Ball production since GT ended simply canNOT be overstated, especially since its basic setup was recycled for Battle of Gods. It'd also be neat to have someone reading the equivalent manga chapters, at least up until the Zamasu Arc ends and the two diverge from each other.