Do you think will ever get a jaco the galactic patrolman ova series or anime series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Do you think will ever get a jaco the galactic patrolman ova series or anime series?

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:41 pm

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think will ever get a jaco the galactic patrolman ova series or anime series?

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:07 pm

Likely we will. Minus did get animated. And Tights was interesting enough and distinct enough from Bulma for Toei to invest in.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do you think will ever get a jaco the galactic patrolman ova series or anime series?

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:40 pm

Probably not. I wish it would though. A movie or a short FLCL style format show would be sweet.

I think projects like Jaco, Cross Epoch, and Neko Majin will probably stay manga only. It's just been so long, and they're still not adapted.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:40 pm

It would be more entertaining than Dragon Ball 2uper at least

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:43 pm

No. There's no Goku, so... No. This series can't exist without him. I don't know if it's okay or if it's sad, but no Goku = no series.

This series/OVA would be better than anything after Battle of Gods, though.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:55 pm

Trouser wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:43 pm No. There's no Goku, so... No. This series can't exist without him
It's gonna blow your mind when you find out that there are billions of other tv shows without Goku in them.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:55 pm
Trouser wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:43 pm No. There's no Goku, so... No. This series can't exist without him
It's gonna blow your mind when you find out that there are billions of other tv shows without Goku in them.
That's true, but TOEI are notoriously risk averse when it comes to Dragon Ball and have had Goku (or Goku Jr in the case of the GT special) as the central figure of every movie, special and series since. Super Hero seems to be testing the waters with Gohan and Piccolo taking centre stage but initially Goku was used in the promotional material, and we know he'll be in the movie and likely have a not insignificant role to play.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:45 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:55 pm
That's true, but TOEI are notoriously risk averse when it comes to Dragon Ball and have had Goku (or Goku Jr in the case of the GT special) as the central figure of every movie, special and series since. Super Hero seems to be testing the waters with Gohan and Piccolo taking centre stage but initially Goku was used in the promotional material, and we know he'll be in the movie and likely have a not insignificant role to play.
We're not talking about Dragon Ball we're talking about Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

Fans suggesting Dragon Ball without Goku =/= Jaco spin off show based on Toriyama's already existing manga

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:49 am

Peach wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:40 pm Probably not. I wish it would though. A movie or a short FLCL style format show would be sweet.

I think projects like Jaco, Cross Epoch, and Neko Majin will probably stay manga only. It's just been so long, and they're still not adapted.
But the other two you mentioned aren’t canon jaco is it’s a prequel to dragon ball plus jaco and tights are in super so and they adapted dragon ball minus in super broly so.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:44 pm

I wouldn't mind if they include a Jaco the galactic patrolman saga after the DB Minus stuff if DB Super 2 is made, but it's unlikely given how many episodes the anime would spent without Goku (or any other familiar character) if they did that. It's sad but I don't think Dragon Ball will do this thing were they put a side-story or flashback about a character like Naruto or One Piece does for several episodes.
Either they manage to switch between present and past scenes so there's a balance or they get through Jaco's story really quick.

A OVA would be just as rushed since it wouldn't be much longer than a regular episode, and I don't think Toei'll make multiple OVAs. A TV Special could work I guess.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:30 pm

It’s almost a decade old. I think that ship sailed.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:18 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:41 pm Do you think will ever get a jaco the galactic patrolman ova series or anime series?
Haven’t read it yet, is it good? I’d be interested in a 1 episode of Kintoki actually.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:06 pm

desu wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:44 pm I wouldn't mind if they include a Jaco the galactic patrolman saga after the DB Minus stuff if DB Super 2 is made, but it's unlikely given how many episodes the anime would spent without Goku (or any other familiar character) if they did that. It's sad but I don't think Dragon Ball will do this thing were they put a side-story or flashback about a character like Naruto or One Piece does for several episodes.
Either they manage to switch between present and past scenes so there's a balance or they get through Jaco's story really quick.

A OVA would be just as rushed since it wouldn't be much longer than a regular episode, and I don't think Toei'll make multiple OVAs. A TV Special could work I guess.
Tell that to hellsing ultimate the first two ovas of tenchi muyo to name a few.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:00 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:06 pm
desu wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:44 pm I wouldn't mind if they include a Jaco the galactic patrolman saga after the DB Minus stuff if DB Super 2 is made, but it's unlikely given how many episodes the anime would spent without Goku (or any other familiar character) if they did that. It's sad but I don't think Dragon Ball will do this thing were they put a side-story or flashback about a character like Naruto or One Piece does for several episodes.

Tell that to hellsing ultimate the first two ovas of tenchi muyo to name a few.
Well OVAs lenght depend, sometimes it's only a few minutes and others it's almost a hour or more. Toei usually ranks these ovas from 20 to 30 minutes, and they're also usually a single part OVA.

After checking the chapter number and pages again, it has 231 pages (without the Minus special chapter) so I don't think even a TV Special could cover the manga material properly without skipping stuff. I think the best would be to adapt it onto the anime when it returns. Not only would it increase the episode length without using filler, the story could fit somewhere where Jaco is used. Ideally it should be adapted after the events of Dragon Ball Minus and before the arrival of Broly to Earth.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:40 pm

[quote=desu post_id=1738537 time=1650307463

[/quote]

An OVA doesn't have a set length. Since its not made for tv broadcast it doesn't have a required timeslot + commercials to fill

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:50 am

I hate that they introduced jaco in super without his story getting a anime adaptation first because for people who didn’t read the manga it’s confusing especially with Bulma’s sister tights.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:59 pm

if we get a jaco series i want it to be like rock lee and friends.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:46 am

I guess one has to consider the "why". Would it benefit Toei? Would they make money? Or would they just spend money on animation, the voice actors, etc. for a product that people just wouldn't pay money for? Would people pay enough money to justify its release? Or would it be mostly pirated or ignored altogether because of the existing manga? These are considerations that go into it.

I'd love to see it. Much like I'd love for Funimation to dub everything ("Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return," "Episode of Bardock," "Heroes," "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans," etc.). Much like I'd love an anime version of Jaco and "That Time I got Reincarnated as Yamucha." But... I would understand if that didn't happen and there's always the manga, which is my default way to enjoy the series now anyway.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:39 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:49 am
Peach wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:40 pm Probably not. I wish it would though. A movie or a short FLCL style format show would be sweet.

But the other two you mentioned aren’t canon jaco is it’s a prequel to dragon ball plus jaco and tights are in super so and they adapted dragon ball minus in super broly so.
There are like four different continuities in Dragon Ball right now and all of them have different ideas of what is and isn't "canon."

I seriously doubt they would adapt something so old that doesn't have Goku, Vegeta, or Gohan. 'Canon' or not, it's a little risky.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Peach wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:39 am
supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:49 am

There are like four different continuities in Dragon Ball right now and all of them have different ideas of what is and isn't "canon."

I seriously doubt they would adapt something so old that doesn't have Goku, Vegeta, or Gohan. 'Canon' or not, it's a little risky.
I guess what makes Jaco different is that he's an actual character in Super and his story directly correlates with Super--both the manga and anime, really.