would nt be awesome to watch the rest of dragon ball super with classic hand drawn animation like z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kostilaks

would nt be awesome to watch the rest of dragon ball super with classic hand drawn animation like z?

Post by Kostilaks » Thu May 05, 2022 4:22 pm

if this was possible, which animation would you choose (from which saga?)

i would like to see super with the animation of great sayiaman arc. it was one of the best animations for me.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Re: would nt be awesome to watch the rest of dragon ball super with classic hand drawn animation like z?

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu May 12, 2022 12:37 pm

So do you want the old animation studios to come back to work on Dragon Ball (Studio Cockpit my beloved 😍) or do you want Dragon Ball to be animated traditionally again?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: would nt be awesome to watch the rest of dragon ball super with classic hand drawn animation like z?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 12, 2022 1:23 pm

Dragon Ball Super *was* hand-drawn. It even had many of the exact same animators as back during the original series’ production.

Its issues largely stemmed from rushed production, waning character designer responsibility/oversight/talent, a different creative workflow compared to the original serialization, and once again for the road: rushed production!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm

I was just posting something similar in the DB anime post a little earlier...

Animation had decayed a lot.

Since about 2011 all characters stared to look round and pretty similar to one another adventure time, gumball, steven universe, star vs forces of evil, gravity falls, they all follow same style, my point here is, detailed animation is simply not done anymore, everything is computer assisted and on a digital tablet. Having people painting actual paint on top of acrylics and in the original anime cels the way they did it in the 80s and 90s is simply out of the question.

But to answer your question, and letting fantasy run....

I would like to see it on Namek animation style, I think vegeta had a different skin tone there and one I truly like.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 12, 2022 4:37 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm adventure time, gumball, steven universe, star vs forces of evil, gravity falls, they all follow same style
Trends come and go, and you've named things (children's shows) that all come from a very specific area of the world (America) from a very specific time (the last 10-15 years-ish). There's nothing surprising about that.
Saiya6Cit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pmdetailed animation is simply not done anymore, everything is computer assisted and on a digital tablet. Having people painting actual paint on top of acrylics and in the original anime cels the way they did it in the 80s and 90s is simply out of the question.
Again, as I noted just above your post: people are still hand-drawing and hand-animating modern shows. The problems consistently cited with Super stemmed primarily from: (1) rushed production, and (2) Tadayoshi Yamamuro. Look no further than the 2018 theatrical film for an example of what "the older animation style" looked like -- and it wasn't even an "older animation style"! It was just folks given the time and resources to work on something.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:47 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm I was just posting something similar in the DB anime post a little earlier...

Since about 2011 all characters stared to look round and pretty similar to one another adventure time, gumball, steven universe, star vs forces of evil, gravity falls, they all follow same style, my point here is, detailed animation is simply not done anymore, everything is computer assisted and on a digital tablet. Having people painting actual paint on top of acrylics and in the original anime cels the way they did it in the 80s and 90s is simply out of the question.

I would like to see it on Namek animation style, I think vegeta had a different skin tone there and one I truly like.
I mean you could say the same thing in 2004 when everyone in America was doing the Butch Hartman/Gandy Tartokovsky style. Or the 70s and 80s when everyone was doing doing the cheap ass Scooby-Doo style. Like I think the 90s might have been the only decade with more ambition and variety in the animation and even then there's still some corners cut and ubiquitous elements. Like Mike said, every era has styles.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon May 16, 2022 1:49 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:47 pm
Saiya6Cit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm I was just posting something similar in the DB anime post a little earlier...

I mean you could say the same thing in 2004 when everyone in America was doing the Butch Hartman/Gandy Tartokovsky style. Or the 70s and 80s when everyone was doing doing the cheap ass Scooby-Doo style. Like I think the 90s might have been the only decade with more ambition and variety in the animation and even then there's still some corners cut and ubiquitous elements. Like Mike said, every era has styles.
True, animation is expensive and time conssuming (as someone who draws, trust me, I know) so it is obvious they would reuse cells and character designs, what is sad is the fact that there is no way to get quality 2D animation anymore, maybe toronto animated film festivals but they are also 3D or stop motion...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon May 16, 2022 3:07 pm

I dunno, Z was mostly hit and miss for me. Two fantastic episodes followed by a horrible one, with the chubby characters and disproportionate bodies. And I exaggerate with two episodes being fantastic, one was awesome, the other one could go either way, sometimes they rocked, sometimes they sucked.

If I were to pick an arc or era... then it's Saiyan saga or Namek saga. That's when the art was, to me, the most balanced. The great episodes maybe weren't THAT great, but the bad ones weren't as bad as in the last 2 arcs.

That's something DBS didn't suffer from, despite being subpar for most of the episodes, every episode looked the same. The shading improved in the last 30 episodes, so I wouldn't mind re-watching the entirety of DBS if it looked like that.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm Since about 2011 all characters stared to look round and pretty similar to one another adventure time, gumball, steven universe, star vs forces of evil, gravity falls, they all follow same style
"All these shows look the same, such as *5 shows that look entirely different from one another*!"

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 16, 2022 6:42 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 pm "All these shows look the same, such as *5 shows that look entirely different from one another*!"
Some of them have their particularities (especially Adventure Time), but let's not exaggerate now.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 16, 2022 9:27 pm

Dragon Ball is still being drawn by hand, has has been stated numerous times in this thread.

I personally would not want to replicate the visual style of Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball Z did not rely on character animation, after all, and few of the directors were particularly great at making use of the limited number of drawings and production time allotted the series. I would like to see a future Dragon Ball series take after the 2016-2019 cartoon series Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon. I was really taken with that series' dedication to character animation and funny faces via the simplistic character designs that allowed animators to inject their own personalities into their work. I would be so excited to see a Dragon Ball series that focused on character acting animation like Sun & Moon did. In fact, one episode in particular that I believe perfectly encapsulates this is Episode #59. I can't only imagine the new layers of character we could draw out of the Dragon Ball world when the animation staff and director are able to rely more on movement and facial expressions to depict emotions. The Yamamuro Tadayoshi character designs for the 2015-2018 Dragon Ball Super cartoon really proved how the higher number of lines applied by his character designs did not lead to better animation. The best cuts were always the cuts in which the key animator would draw off model!

We're seeing a tremendous amount of exciting animation—both in children-aimed cartoons like Pokemon or One Piece and Otaku-aimed cartoons—in the past decade. I would be so happy to see what Dragon Ball could evolve into with a production that respected the creative staff by giving the staff the time, financial compensation and rest that creators deserve when creating art. I've seen modern productions and in many ways I feel like we're closer than ever to achieving better things for several large-scale Japanese cartoon franchises and I would like to continue to see things move in a positive direction!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue May 17, 2022 6:38 am

Adamant wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:42 pm Some of them have their particularities (especially Adventure Time), but let's not exaggerate now.
The only person exaggerating is the one I quoted. These shows only look similar if you intentionally don't pay attention to them. A trend among character designs is not the same as sharing an aesthetic. Looking more similar to each other than they look to, say, Fist of the North Star is not the same as actually looking alike, and to falsely equate these things while also offering the absolutely foolish judgement that this is "the decay of animation" is not worth defending under any circumstances.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed May 18, 2022 5:56 pm

They do follow the same style. There's nothing incorrect about what he said. They’re different characters with different designs, and also their base or style is 'pretty similar', to use Saiya6Cit's words. And he didn’t say it’s ‘the’ decline of animation, he said it has declined a lot. Which is of course his observation + taste. It's not right nor wrong, it’s taste.

Anyway
I liked how the Broly movie looked. I think that would be my ideal. It's like a mix of the older coloration style and designs but with the modern animation. It was stunning.

The DBS anime may be hand drawn but it doesn't look so lol. Which is what I care about, not what went on behind the scenes.

Saiya6Cit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm Animation had decayed a lot.

Since about 2011 all characters stared to look round and pretty similar to one another
I don't know if it's technically declined, but it may feel declined, ironically, because of the modern software taking away the imperfections and just the need for effort put into details, which does show.

The coloring, basically the lack of texture and very bright colors give an artificial feeling. Which works for some things, like The Simpsons for example, I think they look better now with the cleaner and brighter colors than with the older ones. But yeah, generally I’m not a fan of this nor of the designs of today's trend.