On May 9, my grandmother passed away. She loved little Son Goku.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

On May 9, my grandmother passed away. She loved little Son Goku.

Post by Aim » Mon May 09, 2022 11:02 am

I don’t know where else to post this, but I feel the need to share this with everyone, just to show how influential something as simple as a fictional character can be, and of course how amazing my grandparent was.

A couple hours ago my grandmother took her last breathe, I’ve come home from seeing her. She was still warm, though obviously passed. I gave my last goodbyes and kissed her on the forehead.

My grandmother and I watched Dragon Ball together, when Goku was little, she loved that part of the series. There was a time where she’d beg me to watch with her. She thought little Goku was so cute. I even gave her a little figure I had of him, she had him in her room. Masako Nozawa reminds me a lot of my grandmother, they looked similar in terms of hair style.

The bit of joy the show gave my grandmother means a lot to me, and today she passed on Son Goku day. I like to think maybe there’s something beyond, though I do not ponder it too much, as it wouldn’t matter either way.

We even saw Broli, the last screening at a special cinema outdoors and she loved it. I wish I could tell Nozawa, I wish Nozawa could have met her.

I had such a special relationship with my grandmother, she was so patient and showered me with love. Thank you so much.

Thank you to everyone at Kanzenshuu for the chats, although I’m not leaving, I do feel the need to say that.

Thank you Nozawa for everything.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: On May 9, my grandmother passed away. She loved little Son Goku.

Post by super michael » Mon May 09, 2022 12:37 pm

I am sorry for your lose Aim, it sounds like you had a great relationship ship with your grandmother. The good thing is you have memories of the great times with your grandmother. I am sure your grandmother had a great time watching Dragon Ball together and going to cinema.

R.I.P.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon May 09, 2022 5:24 pm

Really sad to hear that.

My deepest condolences to you and your family over this loss and thanks for sharing those memories of your grandma with us.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon May 09, 2022 6:28 pm

May your grandmother's soul rest in peace. It's nice that she was a Goku fan.

Think that maybe she's on her way to meet him, yeah?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:03 pm

Sad she had to die on a day celebrating a character that she loved.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon May 09, 2022 10:01 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm also glad you were able to share the series with someone you loved so dearly.

I actually very much relate to your story. I got to share the show with my late aunt who died years ago due to cancer. She used to watch the Nicktoons broadcast of Kai with me and would even watch the uncut version with me from time to time when I got the DVDs. A friend gifted me the last three Dragon Boxes for Christmas one year (this was before Boo Kai was a thing), and she actually asked me if we could watch it. Surprisingly, after she watched all of Kai dubbed with me, she actually watched a fair bit of the subtitled Boo arc with me. For context, this was a woman who really disliked two things in media: cartoons and subtitles. Yet she watched Dragon Ball subbed with me. Unfortunately, we weren't able to finish the arc before she passed, but the memories of watching those episodes with her are ones I'll cherish forever. I'm sure you feel the same way.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 pm

My condolences to your grandma, may she rest in peace

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue May 10, 2022 3:43 pm

Sorry for your loss, hopefully she passed away peacefully, in her sleep.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon May 23, 2022 10:44 pm

Hi all, sorry for the late replies, things have been hard since, but life goes on and things are going back to normal.
super michael wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:37 pm I am sorry for your lose Aim, it sounds like you had a great relationship ship with your grandmother. The good thing is you have memories of the great times with your grandmother. I am sure your grandmother had a great time watching Dragon Ball together and going to cinema.

R.I.P.
Thank you Michael, I really appreciate it. I’m also glad I have those memories, you should have seen the look on her face when we left the outside cinema (it was the very last screening) and she was amazed! Though she did say she wished she saw more of Goku, but nonetheless enjoyed it.
Tian wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:24 pm Really sad to hear that.

My deepest condolences to you and your family over this loss and thanks for sharing those memories of your grandma with us.
Thank you so much Tian, thank you for taking the time to read my post. <3
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:28 pm May your grandmother's soul rest in peace. It's nice that she was a Goku fan.

Think that maybe she's on her way to meet him, yeah?
Thank you Foodie. I hope so, I hope after she’s met up with my grandfather she does see Goku, that would be nice 😊

If I ever meet Masako Nozawa, I want to tell her about my grandmother, funnily enough she reminds me of her.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:03 pm Sad she had to die on a day celebrating a character that she loved.
It is. But it’s also beautiful, she was finally at peace and no longer needs to feel pain.
OmegaRockman wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:01 pm I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm also glad you were able to share the series with someone you loved so dearly.

I actually very much relate to your story. I got to share the show with my late aunt who died years ago due to cancer. She used to watch the Nicktoons broadcast of Kai with me and would even watch the uncut version with me from time to time when I got the DVDs. A friend gifted me the last three Dragon Boxes for Christmas one year (this was before Boo Kai was a thing), and she actually asked me if we could watch it. Surprisingly, after she watched all of Kai dubbed with me, she actually watched a fair bit of the subtitled Boo arc with me. For context, this was a woman who really disliked two things in media: cartoons and subtitles. Yet she watched Dragon Ball subbed with me. Unfortunately, we weren't able to finish the arc before she passed, but the memories of watching those episodes with her are ones I'll cherish forever. I'm sure you feel the same way.
So sorry about your Aunt, I’m glad we both got to experience at least a bit of this magical series with a loved one.
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 pm My condolences to your grandma, may she rest in peace
Thank you so much.
coola wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:43 pm Sorry for your loss, hopefully she passed away peacefully, in her sleep.
I hope so as well. She could still hear me during that day, but they were trying to let her go without pain so they put her on a lot of morphine. Poor thing could only move a little bit to respond to me. I hope she heard my final goodbyes, as the hearing is the last thing to go.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue May 24, 2022 1:03 pm

I am barely reading this, I am sorry for your loss bro. I am glad you are getting things back to normal, it is good to have you here again :D .

It is a nice story. And I think you came to the right place to share it. Is it possible you could post a picture of such kid Goku Figurine?

I think goku was very charming as a child, here (in mexico) every teacher at elementary school would say he was cute and then disliked him when he grew old and turned demon ssj XD

best wishes