When Dragon Ball anime returns

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When Dragon Ball anime returns

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 10, 2022 10:13 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:00 am There's a scene in DBS' last episode between Zeno and Goku, "are we seeing you again?" and Goku replies "of course". That wasn't part of the dialogue between two characters, that was between the show and the audience, with the show saying it will come back.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue May 10, 2022 10:21 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:33 amI mean, so did Game of Thrones, it was extremely popular and it still ended. They ended because they were the conclusion of the Story, No? Why would GoT or AoT continue when the story the writers wanted to tell is concluded?

Unless the Moro and Granolah arc are decreed filler arcs, then the Super story is not over, is it? There's still at least the Broly arc to adapt for those who might have skipped the movie.
I think the anime could return since there some hints that the manga arcs might be adapted. You mentioned breaking streaming sites so I assumed you meant that was a factor since you were asking if he wanted it to happen again. It wouldn't really matter to a fan how popular it was is what I was trying to say.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 10, 2022 11:10 am

With regards to Game of Thrones, House of the Dragons is coming in August so that cow is still being milked, and likely will for some time.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am

Shaddy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:39 am I'm sure Dragon Ball will return to TV at some point. I've mostly enjoyed Super, and I was honestly really excited for it back when we thought it was going to happen in 2020.

That said, I cannot hope to explain how utterly ridiculous it is to claim that it will or should directly adapt the Super manga. Not only were these two things designed differently from the outset, I can't help but wonder if this is rose-tinted glasses telling people that having a comic book to follow is what will make this admittedly dumb and kind of hollow series better. It won't. I guarantee the last thing this already questionably-paced non-seasonal series needs is to be even more boring and dragged down by adapting a comic book that comes out at half the pace of the original.

Maybe we'll see Moro and Granolah, but I can only hope Toei are smart enough to make the events their interpretation of Toriyama's notes and not shackle us to honest-to-god mid-battle filler in an era where shonen has finally definitively proven that good pacing makes good television.

(I have been using a fanedit to watch Naruto for the past several months, and it is unreal just how slow this series moves even when all the anime-original content is sucked out of it)
Excuse me. The Super anime pacing is borderline sleep-inducing. Do you not remember how they adapted the films? The manga makes significant changes to the storyline that makes those arcs move at a brisker pace. It is one of the reasons I prefer the manga versions of the Super arcs because they cut the fat, and have a tighter focus than the anime which tended to meander.

Adapting the manga makes sense because why the hell would you waste the resources to hire writers to craft entirely different scenarios from a fairly popular manga. And with the way anime is made now, we're a far ways away from a Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood situation. It makes more sense from a business and creative perspective to create synergy by having the anime act as promotion for the manga.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue May 10, 2022 11:50 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:10 am With regards to Game of Thrones, House of the Dragons is coming in August so that cow is still being milked, and likely will for some time.
It's a prequel though?

It would be as if Super did come back, but to tell the history of the Saiyans instead of just moving forward with the Moro and Granolah arc.

GoT did a prequel because the story naturally concluded. The story of Super is not naturally concluded, that's the point. Even if we ignore the manga, there's still the Broly arc and the End of Z tournament, which should be the actual conclusion of the story started after the defeat of Majin Buu.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 10, 2022 12:38 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:50 am The story of Super is not naturally concluded, that's the point.
How was it not naturally concluded? What else is there? The big tournament between universes that was set up in Super's first real arc? It happened. It was finished. Yes it could continue and the manga has but there's nothing about that ending that made the series feel unfinished. There's no plot points left unfinished. All that multiverse stuff? Was just an excuse for Goku to get rock hard at the prospect of fighting strong guys from other universes. He did. Namely in the form of Hit and Jireneric. He reaffirmed his never ending ambition to get stronger. Cue diabetes inducing friends and family doing friends and family shit montage. Protag and Rival fly toward each other for a friendly sparring match because they've been re-energized in their shonen anime goals. Roll Credits.

Setting aside the narrators "We're taking a short break" line, which yeah that didn't happen, its the most conclusive a Dragon Ball anime not named GT has ever ended.

Even if we ignore the manga, there's still the Broly arc and the End of Z tournament, which should be the actual conclusion of the story started after the defeat of Majin Buu.
Why. Why does Broly need to have his movie retold in a 13 pisode arc? Did we not all collectively agree that was the worst thing ever when Super did it to Battle of Gods and Resurrection F?

And the End of Z tournament happened...at the end of Z. It doesn't need to be recreated for Super. Super is also so far removed from that epilogue anyways. Dragon Ball Super was all about God ki and fighters from other universes. The end of Z was tied to the Majin Boo arc. Goku wanted to fight Majin Boo again but not as a villain. He got his wish. The end.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 10, 2022 1:22 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:33 am
Skar wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:16 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:52 pmWhy are always so obstinate about the anime not returning? Do you not want Super to continue having a massively popular anime that regularly breaks streaming sites from its popularity?
I remember AoT season 4 regularly broke streaming sites almost every episode but it's still the final season. Also One Piece episode 1000 but the series is still ending in a few years. I'm not sure how much that matters to the studios but it would matter even less to fans unless more popularity on streaming will somehow improve the series itself.
I mean, so did Game of Thrones, it was extremely popular and it still ended. They ended because they were the conclusion of the Story, No? Why would GoT or AoT continue when the story the writers wanted to tell is concluded?

Unless the Moro and Granolah arc are decreed filler arcs, then the Super story is not over, is it? There's still at least the Broly arc to adapt for those who might have skipped the movie.
Game of Thrones ended by rushing to a horribly executed and misogynistic ending because the showrunners wanted to focus on their Star Wars films.

Yes, those films were then canceled because of how terrible the ending of Game of Thrones was.
Shaddy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:39 am (I have been using a fanedit to watch Naruto for the past several months, and it is unreal just how slow this series moves even when all the anime-original content is sucked out of it)
I remember in particular that the first five or so cours of Shippuuden were extremely slow because the staff was afraid of catching up to the comic again so they would adapt one or fewer chapters per episode. Mixed in with the fact that they had zero animators or directors at the time and it was a very rough period for the cartoon. Things began to pick up again with Tsuru Toshiyuki returning to the series during the Hidan & Kakuzu arc, though. Then Yamashita Hiroyuki really began to pump out an insane amount of high-quality battle scenes from 2008-2011 or so before transitioning into focusing on directing (Shippuuden #322, #345, #375, #476-477).
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue May 10, 2022 3:10 pm

What is there left to do in a new series? Everyone's character arc has already been concluded in Z. Really don't want to see characters regress so they can "grow" again like Super did.

How many times do we need to see Gohan give up fighting only to regain his power once again? It's alreadrly a parody of itself.
Or do we need stronger enemies? Hell, Buu could easily blow up planets so no matter how much stronger a villain gets, the ceiling of danger has already been reached. Yes, villains could theoretically be stronger and blow up entire galaxies but it wouldn't even matter since blowing up the planet would normally kill the heroes as well.

Perhaps an option would be to use a fresh cast but I don't see that happening at all.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:00 pm
dva_raza wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:25 pm I don't know if I'm missing something but why is it in doubt that the anime will return exactly?

It has always been adapted, why wouldn't they adapt the 2nd part of Super once the manga completes enough arcs..?
Its been 4 years.
I don't know why you keep repeating that phrase..

As if there wasn’t history of the franchise coming back after long periods of time or something.
The manga has enough arcs and filler exist for a reason.

Treating its return as a tv series as inevitable is pretty silly bordering on denial tbh.
What's silly about thinking that if the story is going on (in the manga), then the anime is pendent? Seems more like the most logical and natural assumption to make based on what's happend previously.

Also what do you mean the manga has enough arcs...I thought there were 2 so far?

VegettoEX wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:03 pm Since Super began as a split anime/manga, it's never even remotely adhered to a production method/schedule/order the same way the original/"actual" series did, and therefore there's no reason to believe any specific product will come out in any specific way moving forward.

For all we know, the next official continuation of this version of Dragon Ball will be short stories published in 2057 in a French newspaper. There's no precedent or predictability.
My reason for expecting the anime is just that it's what they've done so far as long as there's story in the manga. And if they reactivated the franchise and the anime is the most popular medium then I didn't see any reason for them to not do the continuation of anime they already started.
And I just thought the very fact that they have no rules for how they do things only confirmed that the disorder in schedule with Super means nothing, they're basically being consistent with their own system lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 10, 2022 8:20 pm

dva_raza wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm

I don't know why you keep repeating that phrase..
Because a lot of you still aren't getting it. Its not on break. It's ended ( upcoming Super Super Heroes movie aside) until further notice.

There's a difference between "they might make another series maybe" and "Oh its just on hiatus it will be back any day now 😊"

As if there wasn’t history of the franchise coming back after long periods of time or something.
Just Super. That's not much of a history. A few odd specials here and there and a "refreshed" reversioning of Z hardly count.

So one actual new series since the franchise ended the first time is somehow proof another new series will come out any day now?
What's silly about thinking that if the story is going on (in the manga), then the anime is pendent? Seems more like the most logical and natural assumption to make based on what's happend previously.
No, the natural and logical assumption is that if the series has been over for longer than it was around for there are no current plans to bring it back.
Also what do you mean the manga has enough arcs...I thought there were 2 so far?
Two arcs that have been on going since the anime ended. And never mind the Super anime was originally concurrent with the manga. Somehow now they don't have enough material.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 amExcuse me. The Super anime pacing is borderline sleep-inducing. Do you not remember how they adapted the films?
I think DBS might've had the most padding relative to its source material out of any recent anime I've seen. It was 131 episodes to retell two movies and three maybe screenplay length outlines. That might've been due to lack of options since they probably needed it to last until the next anime took over its timeslot. If the ToP was shorter, they might not have had anything to air until Kitaro? I recall the average cour anime can adapt 2-4 volumes with decent pacing. It depends on the content since some an anime can adapt one or two monthly chapters per episode. At that pace, the two manga arcs and retellings for the last two movies might be around the length of the ToP.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 10, 2022 9:18 pm

The retellings didn't have to be an entire cour each, which I think is the main issue. That being said, if they did have to be that long then they certainly were not helped by the fact that they were being created with exactly zero preparation time for an incredibly and thinly stretched production crew.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue May 10, 2022 11:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:20 pm
Because a lot of you still aren't getting it. Its not on break. It's ended ( upcoming Super Super Heroes movie aside) until further notice.

There's a difference between "they might make another series maybe" and "Oh its just on hiatus it will be back any day now 😊"
LOL not "any day now", it just seems unlikely that they would just "pass" on making the anime considering they decided to revive the franchise! So for me it's just "I'm certain it will obviously happen in few years and I'm not in a hurry in the least"

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:20 pm So one actual new series since the franchise ended the first time is somehow proof another new series will come out any day now?
Well yes?...I mean not "proof" but just the most obvious thing to assume. How is it not? The series coming back after many years establishes that... the series can come back after many years.

dva_raza wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm What's silly about thinking that if the story is going on (in the manga), then the anime is pendent? Seems more like the most logical and natural assumption to make based on what's happend previously.
No, the natural and logical assumption is that if the series has been over for longer than it was around for there are no current plans to bring it back.
I said it was the most logical assumption just because it's literally based on previous experience. They haven't not done an adaptation of the manga yet, so the assumption that they'll suddenly avoid it now is supported by nothing. Your sole reason is just the "4 years have passed!" thing right? But considering we know they don't have a schedule and do things their own way, I don't understand what is exactly the relevance of that?
dva_raza wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm Also what do you mean the manga has enough arcs...I thought there were 2 so far?
Two arcs that have been on going since the anime ended. And never mind the Super anime was originally concurrent with the manga. Somehow now they don't have enough material.
Again, you speak as if there was some established order you knew must be followed when not really. They don't have to go in paralel with the manga. They might want to simply wait until more story exists before starting the anime, which also allows to do other things in between, like the upcoming film 😊

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed May 11, 2022 8:36 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:38 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:50 am The story of Super is not naturally concluded, that's the point.
How was it not naturally concluded? What else is there? The big tournament between universes that was set up in Super's first real arc? It happened. It was finished. Yes it could continue and the manga has but there's nothing about that ending that made the series feel unfinished. There's no plot points left unfinished. All that multiverse stuff? Was just an excuse for Goku to get rock hard at the prospect of fighting strong guys from other universes. He did. Namely in the form of Hit and Jireneric. He reaffirmed his never ending ambition to get stronger. Cue diabetes inducing friends and family doing friends and family shit montage. Protag and Rival fly toward each other for a friendly sparring match because they've been re-energized in their shonen anime goals. Roll Credits.

Setting aside the narrators "We're taking a short break" line, which yeah that didn't happen, its the most conclusive a Dragon Ball anime not named GT has ever ended.

Even if we ignore the manga, there's still the Broly arc and the End of Z tournament, which should be the actual conclusion of the story started after the defeat of Majin Buu.
Why. Why does Broly need to have his movie retold in a 13 pisode arc? Did we not all collectively agree that was the worst thing ever when Super did it to Battle of Gods and Resurrection F?

And the End of Z tournament happened...at the end of Z. It doesn't need to be recreated for Super. Super is also so far removed from that epilogue anyways. Dragon Ball Super was all about God ki and fighters from other universes. The end of Z was tied to the Majin Boo arc. Goku wanted to fight Majin Boo again but not as a villain. He got his wish. The end.
In the anime of DBS after the ToP, it was mentioned that Goku can't use UI at all. It would seem weird that Goku never master that power, seeing that every power and technique he gains he normally masters them. The only exception is his Oozaru form, which he didn't know he had.
Then there is the whole Goku and Vegeta being Beerus rival in the future, which has not happened yet.

It would be good if the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter gets a anime version, so at least games will get up to those story. At the moment every game ignores those characters and story.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed May 11, 2022 6:10 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am Excuse me. The Super anime pacing is borderline sleep-inducing. Do you not remember how they adapted the films?
It's still better than Z was, and even if it weren't, that wouldn't justify shackling it to an even slower-release of a worse manga. Prove to me that adapting Toyo's output would make the show as fast as Dragon Ball Recut.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 amThe manga makes significant changes to the storyline that makes those arcs move at a brisker pace. It is one of the reasons I prefer the manga versions of the Super arcs because they cut the fat, and have a tighter focus than the anime which tended to meander.
That's a really weird thing to say given they literally don't adapt 1 2/3 of the movies that came out. You know you can pace a story without making it incomplete, right?
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am Adapting the manga makes sense because why the hell would you waste the resources to hire writers to craft entirely different scenarios from a fairly popular manga.
Why have a mangaka to write their own version of the story instead of just adapting the much more popular anime directly? Do you think people who buy the manga are doing it because it's objectively better or something?
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 amAnd with the way anime is made now, we're a far ways away from a Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood situation.
Okay, so accepting that this extremely-unverified claim is true, that...justifies making the show worse? I don't understand your rationale here.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 amIt makes more sense from a business and creative perspective to create synergy by having the anime act as promotion for the manga.
Well they certainly don't seem to think that, because the anime is where the money is. The manga is the promotion, that's why it doesn't include Resurrection F or Broly, and why the new movie has nothing to do with it.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:22 pm I remember in particular that the first five or so cours of Shippuuden were extremely slow because the staff was afraid of catching up to the comic again so they would adapt one or fewer chapters per episode. Mixed in with the fact that they had zero animators or directors at the time and it was a very rough period for the cartoon. Things began to pick up again with Tsuru Toshiyuki returning to the series during the Hidan & Kakuzu arc, though. Then Yamashita Hiroyuki really began to pump out an insane amount of high-quality battle scenes from 2008-2011 or so before transitioning into focusing on directing (Shippuuden #322, #345, #375, #476-477).
I actually really like the Tenchi Bridge mission in concept, but it takes Orochimaru like half an episode to walk up to a bridge? Yeesh.

Sadly however, I'm in the war arc. I think the manga's own speed comes into play during that third of the story and hurts the anime. They just wanted to cram too much shit in there, which results in a story that simultaneously drags its feet and feels like it can't breathe.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed May 11, 2022 7:30 pm

Until the showrunners announce more show, it's done. You don't take a four break without reasurring folks there's more to come. at best, we'll get more movie and specials and what not. It's a miracle we got Super. The series was long die for many, many years. Getting a special and two new moves at that point were blessings.

If we never get a nother series, those talking like it will still happen just seem desperate and delusional. If something does come of it, those who said it wouldn't happen seem like reasonable people using rational thinking who were wrong.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 11, 2022 8:52 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:10 pmIt's still better than Z was, and even if it weren't, that wouldn't justify shackling it to an even slower-release of a worse manga. Prove to me that adapting Toyo's output would make the show as fast as Dragon Ball Recut.
DB Recut averaged about 5 episodes per volume since it was 82 episodes to adapt 16 volumes. I think that's average with a modern anime pacing since they usually adapt 2-4 volumes per cour. The Moro and Granolah arcs have been about ten volumes so far so that could range from 20 something episodes based on seasonal anime to almost 50 going by DB Recut.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed May 11, 2022 11:47 pm

If they adapted it in a completely linear fashion, sure. But I thought we were mostly in agreement here that that wouldn't happen. If Dragon Ball is on TV, they don't want it to only run for 30 or 40 episodes.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu May 12, 2022 12:08 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:47 pm If they adapted it in a completely linear fashion, sure. But I thought we were mostly in agreement here that that wouldn't happen. If Dragon Ball is on TV, they don't want it to only run for 30 or 40 episodes.
Ah ok I thought the question was just if it could be adapted at the same pace as DB Recut. I don't think they'd only be adapting those two arcs and end it there. The manga might be over by the time the anime does return. Broly, Moro, Granolah, Super Hero, the next manga arc or two could be enough to run 100 episodes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 12, 2022 3:46 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:10 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am Excuse me. The Super anime pacing is borderline sleep-inducing. Do you not remember how they adapted the films?
It's still better than Z was, and even if it weren't, that wouldn't justify shackling it to an even slower-release of a worse manga. Prove to me that adapting Toyo's output would make the show as fast as Dragon Ball Recut.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 amThe manga makes significant changes to the storyline that makes those arcs move at a brisker pace. It is one of the reasons I prefer the manga versions of the Super arcs because they cut the fat, and have a tighter focus than the anime which tended to meander.
That's a really weird thing to say given they literally don't adapt 1 2/3 of the movies that came out. You know you can pace a story without making it incomplete, right?
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am Adapting the manga makes sense because why the hell would you waste the resources to hire writers to craft entirely different scenarios from a fairly popular manga.
Why have a mangaka to write their own version of the story instead of just adapting the much more popular anime directly? Do you think people who buy the manga are doing it because it's objectively better or something?
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 amAnd with the way anime is made now, we're a far ways away from a Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood situation.
Okay, so accepting that this extremely-unverified claim is true, that...justifies making the show worse? I don't understand your rationale here.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 amIt makes more sense from a business and creative perspective to create synergy by having the anime act as promotion for the manga.
Well they certainly don't seem to think that, because the anime is where the money is. The manga is the promotion, that's why it doesn't include Resurrection F or Broly, and why the new movie has nothing to do with it.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:22 pm I remember in particular that the first five or so cours of Shippuuden were extremely slow because the staff was afraid of catching up to the comic again so they would adapt one or fewer chapters per episode. Mixed in with the fact that they had zero animators or directors at the time and it was a very rough period for the cartoon. Things began to pick up again with Tsuru Toshiyuki returning to the series during the Hidan & Kakuzu arc, though. Then Yamashita Hiroyuki really began to pump out an insane amount of high-quality battle scenes from 2008-2011 or so before transitioning into focusing on directing (Shippuuden #322, #345, #375, #476-477).
I actually really like the Tenchi Bridge mission in concept, but it takes Orochimaru like half an episode to walk up to a bridge? Yeesh.

Sadly however, I'm in the war arc. I think the manga's own speed comes into play during that third of the story and hurts the anime. They just wanted to cram too much shit in there, which results in a story that simultaneously drags its feet and feels like it can't breathe.
Yeah, I think Kishimoto was probably pressured into writing fights he should not have. We really did not need more Chouji stuff.

It also doesn't help that the cartoon series was hit by a lack of staff again during the War arc. They lost Ooshirou Tsutomu to another series and the regular aces all left partway through for other series or the movies. The Last and Boruto not to mention Matsumoto Norio being busy with big name films during the Naruto and Sasuke fight really made the final two years a major struggle. Who knows how much worse things would have been without the filler to buy more time?

Hopefully the next DB series doesn't face this issue.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter