When Dragon Ball anime returns

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

When Dragon Ball anime returns

Post by super michael » Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm

Lets hope that the writing and gag makes a huge improvement, it doesn't have to be perfect but it has to be good the writing. Gag are supposed to be funny, let hope when it returns their gag are funny instead of it being annoying.

The other thing that Toei needs to fix is not going overboard. They should avoid over exaggerating characters negative traits, characters doing dumb things from time to time is funny, but being dumb majority of the time is annoying.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When Dragon Ball anime returns

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 09, 2022 4:16 pm

Dragon Ball fans are going to be really disappointed after Super squared Heroes comes out and there's still no new tv series.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 09, 2022 4:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:16 pm Dragon Ball fans are going to be really disappointed after Super squared Heroes comes out and there's still no new tv series.
Just because Dragon Ball won't return when the new movie comes out, doesn't mean it won't ever return.

Many anime that ended many years or even decades ago, they got continuation when it seem unlikely or impossible. Bleach anime was over on March 27, 2012, it will return on October 2022 along with the novel being animated.

Inuyasha anime ended on October 27, 2006 and didn't get a continuation until October 3, 2009 which was Inuyasha Final Act. Then the anime story was over on March 29, 2010. Then it got its continuation from Yashihime which started on October 3, 2020.

Dragon Quest Dai Great Adventure anime got cancelled on September 24, 1992, but now we got a reboot which is showing the whole story.

My point is just because something got cancelled or ended many years ago, that doesn't mean there is no chance in getting a continuation.

There is also Samurai Jack and Young Justice, which they both got new season many years later.

Dragon Ball IP is too big to leave it dead the anime, way bigger than those mentioned above.
Last edited by super michael on Mon May 09, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 09, 2022 4:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:16 pm Dragon Ball fans are going to be really disappointed after Super squared Heroes comes out and there's still no new tv series.
Why are always so obstinate about the anime not returning? Do you not want Super to continue having a massively popular anime that regularly breaks streaming sites from its popularity?

I think the anime would have already come back if Covid never happened. In 2019 there were already many talks of it returning.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 09, 2022 4:56 pm

It's been 4 years. Let it go. They weren't just going out to get milk

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 09, 2022 4:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:56 pm It's been 4 years. Let it go. They weren't just going out to get milk
"It's been 18 years since the last series. There's no way they'll ever make a new show. Let it go."

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 09, 2022 5:04 pm

Four years is short compared to Bleach which has been 10 years since the Fullbring arc was over. Bleach popularity is way lower than Dragon Ball by a lot.

Samura Jack last episode of Season 4 was September 25, 2004. It didn't get a new season until March 11, 2017.
Young Justice last episode of Season 3 was March 16, 2013. It didn't get a new season until January 4, 2019.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 09, 2022 5:10 pm

A handful of posts in, is it really necessary to already be sarcastically and antagonistically quoting back and forth at each other? It's a bad look for you personally, and it's a bad look for the community. I'm asking you to do better.

I personally have no interest in a return of animated Dragon Ball. I already haven't enjoyed what's been produced as a whole... though I'm holding out hope for a good bit of fun with Super Hero, where the tone is more in line with what I'm looking for and I'm curious about the new animation approach.

This feels like another example where I have to chime in and probably talk to a brick wall about how what's being made for Dragon Ball these days... well, it's not "real" Dragon Ball. It's sequel Dragon Ball. It's Dragon Ball's cousin twice removed. It's just not looked at the same way from the production side. I know everyone internationally feels like "oh man Dragon Ball should be and is Avengers level it's the biggest thing EVER!"... and yeah, the money figures actually kinda back that up (when you look at things like the merchandising and the foreign licensing fees)... but Shueisha just doesn't feel the same way you do. They can do literally nothing with the franchise for a while again and keep raking in free money out of their domestic market, and they're just never going to care one lick about how the rest of the world views it.

So with that in mind, I honestly have to advocate for... well, just kicking back and taking it as it comes. Maybe they'll do something. Maybe they won't. There's literally no way to effectively read the tea leaves (trust me: I've tried and failed for two decades now). It's always going to be a surprise, and so rather than pigeon-holing it to "the anime's return"... I dunno, cock your head to the side and instead view it as... well, I don't even know what to say here.

There is no guaranteed "when" here, so I guess as one of the main people in charge of a massive, decades-long-running fansite about the franchise, I'm advocating for everyone to take it extremely passively and not get significantly invested in anything? Relax, either enjoy or don't enjoy whatever does come out, and instead find amusement in the reality that how the series is handled is absolutely bizarre?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 09, 2022 5:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:10 pm A handful of posts in, is it really necessary to already be sarcastically and antagonistically quoting back and forth at each other? It's a bad look for you personally, and it's a back look for the community. I'm asking you to do better.

I personally have no interest in a return of animated Dragon Ball. I already haven't enjoyed what's been produced as a whole... though I'm holding out hope for a good bit of fun with Super Hero, where the tone is more in line with what I'm looking for and I'm curious about the new animation approach.

This feels like another example where I have to chime in and probably talk to a brick wall about how what's being made for Dragon Ball these days... well, it's not "real" Dragon Ball. It's sequel Dragon Ball. It's Dragon Ball's cousin twice removed. It's just not looked at the same way from the production side. I know everyone internationally feels like "oh man Dragon Ball should be and is Avengers level it's the biggest thing EVER!"... and yeah, the money figures actually kinda back that up (when you look at things like the merchandising and the foreign licensing fees)... but Shueisha just doesn't feel the same way you do. They can do literally nothing with the franchise for a while again and keep raking in free money out of their domestic market, and they're just never going to care one lick about how the rest of the world views it.

So with that in mind, I honestly have to advocate for... well, just kicking back and taking it as it comes. Maybe they'll do something. Maybe they won't. There's literally no way to effectively read the tea leaves (trust me: I've tried and failed for two decades now). It's always going to be a surprise, and so rather than pigeon-holing it to "the anime's return"... I dunno, cock your head to the side and instead view it as... well, I don't even know what to say here.

There is no guaranteed "when" here, so I guess as one of the main people in charge of a massive, decades-long-running fansite about the franchise, I'm advocating for everyone to take it extremely passively and not get significantly invested in anything? Relax, either enjoy or don't enjoy whatever does come out, and instead find amusement in the reality that how the series is handled is absolutely bizarre?
VegettoEX I do read your post, I read everyone post. You are right at this point in time there is no guarantee of it returning or not, it is only guessing. As for Shueisha making free money, I guess they won't see any reason to do anything or make improvement.

The thing is Digimon Adventure Reboot did really bad, mostly due to its horrible writing. Sometimes the animation and art style just got really bad in some episode.
However in the new Digimon Ghost Games they made it way better.

Both are made by Toei, so if one is possible to improve, then I was thinking Dragon Ball might be possible to improve.

I guess using other anime returning after many years or decades isn't evidence.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon May 09, 2022 6:25 pm

I don't know if I'm missing something but why is it in doubt that the anime will return exactly?

It has always been adapted, why wouldn't they adapt the 2nd part of Super once the manga completes enough arcs..?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 09, 2022 7:00 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:25 pm I don't know if I'm missing something but why is it in doubt that the anime will return exactly?

It has always been adapted, why wouldn't they adapt the 2nd part of Super once the manga completes enough arcs..?
Its been 4 years. The manga has enough arcs and filler exist for a reason.

Treating its return as a tv series as inevitable is pretty silly bordering on denial tbh.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 09, 2022 7:03 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:25 pm It has always been adapted, why wouldn't they adapt the 2nd part of Super once the manga completes enough arcs..?
Because, as I explained above, this isn't the same Dragon Ball from 1984. It's a completely different beast, several decades removed from its original production method, with a completely different group of people in the mix alongside some of the original people. Since Super began as a split anime/manga, it's never even remotely adhered to a production method/schedule/order the same way the original/"actual" series did, and therefore there's no reason to believe any specific product will come out in any specific way moving forward.

For all we know, the next official continuation of this version of Dragon Ball will be short stories published in 2057 in a French newspaper. There's no precedent or predictability.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 09, 2022 9:01 pm

I'm really looking forward to when the next weekly cartoon series begins airing. I imagine that Shintani Naohiro will return as the character designer so that is definitely an aspect I'm hoping to see come to fruition. A big interest I have is in seeing how Tomioka Atsuhiro writes future Dragon Ball battles. I'm—of course—a big fan of Tomioka's work on Pokemon and I really enjoyed the mystery and intrigue he brought to his scripts for the Future Trunks arc. Dragon Ball Super Episode #123—scripted by Tomioka himself—featured a really cool scene where Gokuu nearly knocks Jiren out of bounds with a neat strategy that feels straight out of his Pokemon Diamond & Pearl days. I'm excited to see Tomioka bring that level of ingenuity to an animated series that has a healthier production schedule. Tomioka's scripts has historically been one of the most exciting things about Dragon Ball and I'm just really excited to see him be able to cut loose again soon.

I hope any future gags are not at the expense of women, though. :)
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 09, 2022 9:05 pm

I think the ship’s sailed on the anime coming back.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon May 09, 2022 9:16 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:52 pmWhy are always so obstinate about the anime not returning? Do you not want Super to continue having a massively popular anime that regularly breaks streaming sites from its popularity?
I remember AoT season 4 regularly broke streaming sites almost every episode but it's still the final season. Also One Piece episode 1000 but the series is still ending in a few years. I'm not sure how much that matters to the studios but it would matter even less to fans unless more popularity on streaming will somehow improve the series itself.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue May 10, 2022 6:33 am

Skar wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:16 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:52 pmWhy are always so obstinate about the anime not returning? Do you not want Super to continue having a massively popular anime that regularly breaks streaming sites from its popularity?
I remember AoT season 4 regularly broke streaming sites almost every episode but it's still the final season. Also One Piece episode 1000 but the series is still ending in a few years. I'm not sure how much that matters to the studios but it would matter even less to fans unless more popularity on streaming will somehow improve the series itself.
I mean, so did Game of Thrones, it was extremely popular and it still ended. They ended because they were the conclusion of the Story, No? Why would GoT or AoT continue when the story the writers wanted to tell is concluded?

Unless the Moro and Granolah arc are decreed filler arcs, then the Super story is not over, is it? There's still at least the Broly arc to adapt for those who might have skipped the movie.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue May 10, 2022 7:07 am

I think the anime will return but for a different reason: The DB gacha games on the market will soon need new material to add in. DB Legends is only missing MUI Goku, who'll probably be added this anniversary. And then what? In a year or two they'll have a hard time coming up with hype units, and they're business after all. I'm not playing Dokkan but it's probably in a similar boat.

Super Hero is already being adapted into Legends but I doubt it's popularity will be huge enough to sustain the fanbase for multiple years. ToP has now been overdone in all kind of games. So they're in-need of new content to sell.

And we all know that Moro and Granolah would sell with ease since people like these characters (and they have multiple forms at that).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 10, 2022 7:38 am

There's no reason to doubt the series won't return at some point. The series is as popular as its always been, and if history is anything to go by that's not going to change. Dragon Ball is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most recognizable anime worldwide, it makes millions with and without an ongoing show. I think TOEI learned a lot from Super, they never expected the episode 5 backlash, and I believe they are conscious of that, meaning whenever we get a continuation they will try to not make the same mistakes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue May 10, 2022 7:39 am

I'm sure Dragon Ball will return to TV at some point. I've mostly enjoyed Super, and I was honestly really excited for it back when we thought it was going to happen in 2020.

That said, I cannot hope to explain how utterly ridiculous it is to claim that it will or should directly adapt the Super manga. Not only were these two things designed differently from the outset, I can't help but wonder if this is rose-tinted glasses telling people that having a comic book to follow is what will make this admittedly dumb and kind of hollow series better. It won't. I guarantee the last thing this already questionably-paced non-seasonal series needs is to be even more boring and dragged down by adapting a comic book that comes out at half the pace of the original.

Maybe we'll see Moro and Granolah, but I can only hope Toei are smart enough to make the events their interpretation of Toriyama's notes and not shackle us to honest-to-god mid-battle filler in an era where shonen has finally definitively proven that good pacing makes good television.

(I have been using a fanedit to watch Naruto for the past several months, and it is unreal just how slow this series moves even when all the anime-original content is sucked out of it)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 10, 2022 10:00 am

There's a scene in DBS' last episode between Zeno and Goku, "are we seeing you again?" and Goku replies "of course". That wasn't part of the dialogue between two characters, that was between the show and the audience, with the show saying it will come back.

Yeah, 4 years is a long time, a lot of things can happen, like the world being devoured by a virus or WW3, but still, why wouldn't it come back when they went out of their way to let us know it was?