Did Dragon Ball inspire you to workout and/or learn martial arts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Did Dragon Ball inspire you to workout and/or learn martial arts?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:31 pm

Surprised no thread like this wasn't made yet...

For me, it's one of the things that influenced me to start a workout routine. The main reason was for health reasons but I also wanted to be strong like Goku and Vegeta y'know.

I exercise daily and aiming to do 100 pushups in a row (am at 70 reps).

I'm also trained in Muay Thai and am learning Krav Maga, Kung Fu, and Jiu-Jutsu.

So did Dragon Ball inspire your fitness journey?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Re: Did Dragon Ball inspire you to workout and/or learn martial arts?

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:51 am

To a degree

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed May 18, 2022 7:52 pm

Dragon Ball inspired me to sit on my ass and watch more dragon Ball.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 18, 2022 8:09 pm

DB along with Rocky movies inspired me to do lots of running and a certain amount of strength work. Faulconer's SS3 theme is the ultimate motivator, and makes me feel I can achieve anything.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Fri May 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Ironically, I did some martial arts way before I found out about Dragon Ball, when I was 8 or so, but I could only become a yellow belt of karate, because I had a problem to my knees at that point, and I had to stop all kinds of activities for several months.

In more recent times, say in the late 2000s to the early 2010s, I tried to workout a lot more, I bought weights and I wore weights while running, I probably was at my peak condition back then.

Then, in 2014, I met my current girlfriend, so I decided to let my natural lazyness win since I had no reason to "hunt" anymore, if you know what I mean. I still run from time to time, but I'm no longer pushing myself anywhere as hard as I used to. Also because I'm 38 now and I can feel my body is starting not to be what it used to be.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:03 am

I moved up to 80 pushups in a row. My recomp is working out.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon May 30, 2022 11:14 pm

SS3 Faulconer Productions song is hella good for my jogging.
We the ones

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 30, 2022 11:26 pm

Gosh, I wish.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue May 31, 2022 1:35 am

As much as I love Dragon Ball, no.

The Rocky movies? Hell yes.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:16 pm

To an extent its inspired me to work out, for sure. Ironically the main reason is health issues, and boredom stemming from health issues is what caused me to join this forum a few years ago;

But yeah, the theme of some characters finding happiness and excitement through training has helped me have a better outlook on exercise that's not self destructive

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:39 pm

Dragon Ball Z was certainly a factor in why I began martial arts, but the other and probably larger motivating factor was Street Fighter if I’m being perfectly honest.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:05 pm

It is a nice topic indeed :)

I wanted to do karate because of both karate kid and DB but my parents would not let me cause they thought I would use it against my brother and such. I started working jobs since I was 16 whilst also studying so I could not really do it at any time. Now I am afraid I am too old for that.

I walk to errands rather than using the car and maintain a healthy weight assisted by diet but that is besides dragon ball.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:06 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:52 pm Dragon Ball inspired me to sit on my ass and watch more dragon Ball.
😂 The struggle is real !

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:15 pm

Recently reached 100 pushups in a row.
fadeddreams5 wrote: