Would you have preferred Resurrection F if.....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Would you have preferred Resurrection F if.....

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 am

Vegeta was the one who defeated Freeza.

I know most will say that it is an unsalvageable movie, but I think the fact Goku defeated the major villain once again doesn't help because it's been done so many times.

I remember after Battle of Gods Toriyama said in an interview he'd like to do a movie about Vegeta. When I heard Freeza was returning for the 2015 movie I had hoped he would have the chance to defeat the man that destroyed his race and home world, and even himself.

Instead Goku got to defeat Freeza a second time and actually kill him this time, and he learns a lesson about taking his opportunity while Vegeta doesn't learn anything from the battle, although I think the movie possibly could have been worked to where Goku and Vegeta fight Freeza together, the former is on the verge of defeat and gives the latter some of his remaining ki to lead him to victory, in which case they would have both learned Whis' lesson about working together.

It probably still wouldn't make a great movie, but maybe one that was a little more interesting than what we got.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Would you have preferred Resurrection F if.....

Post by Xeogran » Tue May 17, 2022 5:38 am

I would have preferred it if

1.It takes place after EoZ
2.All these generic henchmen are used as training for Uub rather than friggin Piccolo fused with Nail and Kami having ANY difficulty with them
3.We could see all of Frieza's forms again, even if for brief scenes it would be a fun power-level escalating sequence.
4.Golden Frieza was more hype and without his generic power-drain weakness

Whether Vegeta kills him or not isn't my problem. I mean it affected the fanbase, but I also feel it would be artificial to have Frieza come back only for Vegeta to score against him.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue May 17, 2022 8:12 am

Goku stealing the kill was my favourite gag from that film.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 17, 2022 9:47 am

I would've preferred if it never happened, no matter who gets the win.

With that option unavailable, I would've had Beerus and Whis not be part of it, so the stakes can at least be there. Or not having them fix everything with their magic stick, I'd rather have them go to Namek, wish everything back, and Freeza dying on the explosion. If we are going to fuck with the audience, let's do it with a boner.

Or, if the low stakes was the way to go, then have Freeza be as weak as back in the day, or barely stronger than before, let's all have a field trip with the fucker.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue May 17, 2022 9:53 am

Nope. As much as I dislike the movie, Goku getting the kill was never a problem for me. I never understood the argument that Vegeta “deserved” to be the one to kill Freeza. He was no different than Freeza for much of his life. He didn’t even care that Freeza wiped out his people. He hated Freeza because having to work for him was an insult to his pride.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue May 17, 2022 10:01 am

I would have preferred Movie 15 to be even better than Movie 14, with an interesting antagonist, in a interesting situation, filled with cool dialogues and moments and that had added something worthwhile to the table.

But if you "had" to bring Freeza back, then you should have let Vegeta shine for once, yeah. If not for the whole situation to not being a complete waste of everybody's time.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:53 am Nope. As much as I dislike the movie, Goku getting the kill was never a problem for me. I never understood the argument that Vegeta “deserved” to be the one to kill Freeza.
I think the specific reasoning is because he has history with Freeza and Freeza killed his father; but by that logic, Roshi should have been the one that killed Piccolo Daimao because his master died defeating Piccolo. And like you said, Vegeta never actually cared about his father or the other Saiyans, just his pride.

I think it's ultimately Vegeta fans shilling for their favorite character. That's what most of these "X character that's not Goku should get the kill" complaints typically amount to.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue May 17, 2022 1:55 pm

I think the ideal ending would be for Goku (after the time rewind) to hit Freeza with a ki blast that knocks him out temporarily, tell Vegeta that Freeza was gonna destroy the planet, then allow Vegeta to blast Freeza to hell.

It would have turned a subpar film into a...well, less-than-subpar film, but whatever...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue May 17, 2022 3:39 pm

I mean, if you just copy-pasted Vegeta into Goku's place, no that definitely would not have rescued the movie for me.

However, if you actually built a narrative around Vegeta's hatred for Freeza and let him experience some character depth/development on the way to a cathartic and yet somehow hollow victory over the monster that helped feed his heart full of hate and rage, that would've been choice storytelling material.

That, of course, would've meant that Freeza was dead dead.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Tue May 17, 2022 3:53 pm

The connection between Goku and Freeza needed to exist and be reinforced for the tyrant's arc in the Tournament of Power to make sense. Goku never got to kill him and he was sent to Hell by Trunks, but the former is the one whom Freeza resents the most, so Vegeta was spared of a meaningless kill, because Goku would still be remembered the most, and the prince would have another one in his list of prideful sins.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue May 17, 2022 4:20 pm

That's not my main problem with this movie. My biggest issue was the fact that they made Freeza stronger than a Super Saiyan Blue with only 4 months of training.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue May 17, 2022 7:18 pm

I think it would have been better if Trunks and Goten was involved in the battle and didn't keep secrets from them. They should be welcomed to RoF invasion like any other Z fighter. Have some interaction between Trunks and Freeza and maybe find out his future version killed him.

They fight as individual for the easy enemies and once the big fish comes, they fuse when they see they are struggling.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 pm

No. There were still problems with the writing, like Freeza going in at the disadvantage to fight two Blue-per Saiyans with his Gold form training incomplete. sonavabitch is headlining his own movie, have Goku and Vegeta fight him 2 on 1 and it's still not enough.

dultimate02

Post by dultimate02 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:52 am

I do think if Vegeta ended up killing Freeza instead of Goku, the film would've been better only in the sense that, it'd have gone down a more interesting route. Goku saving the day last minute took a lot away from Vegeta's thunder. It wouldn't have made the film any better than it already was, but I do think it would've at least let the movie end on a very cool note. I actually enjoy the Ressurection F film for the most part cause it really gets right into the point. The Super incarnation of that story is where I really dislike it. The story of Freeza coming back and getting stronger just to get revenge is super simple and kinda boring, so the least they could've done was have Vegeta win to make it different. Definitely would've preferred that.
aka Hile2002

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 am

I feel like I'm always on the minority side of the fence for these sorts to things. I actually had a good time with this movie and didn't really like Battle of Gods lol

Upon reflection, I think it's because of my high expectations for Battle of Gods and my insanely low standards for this movie. Having read the basic plot points turned me off so much that when I finally saw it, I said to myself, "You know, it's pretty enjoyable."

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 am I feel like I'm always on the minority side of the fence for these sorts to things. I actually had a good time with this movie and didn't really like Battle of Gods lol

Upon reflection, I think it's because of my high expectations for Battle of Gods and my insanely low standards for this movie. Having read the basic plot points turned me off so much that when I finally saw it, I said to myself, "You know, it's pretty enjoyable."
I sat to watch Battle of Gods on TV, thought that I would have a good time, since it was subbed in my country, then I began wondering: how can anyone sit through so much slice of life content, or even exposition on the Gods' behalf? Resurrection of F was more accomplished in the entertainment side of things, and DBS: Broly had a more interesting story that connected to Dragon Ball Z, which is why I could sit through the lack of fights in the first half. Battle of Gods is, in my opinion, overrated, partially due to people who like to keep things consistent and sell it on the basis of DBS having sucked (i.e. Beers could have happened and nothing else until the End of Z), because Resurrection of F was basically a pitch for the series, when the former was the one trying to sell the idea of new universes to explore, but it had to be launched by its success nonetheless.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed May 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Lol! This reminds me of one of the reasons I joined this site viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46805

But no. I think that obvious fanservice would've cheapened the movie. I mean nothing in universe really justifies it; Vegeta and Frieza barely even acknowledged each other throughout the film.
That's because Frieza holds a grudge against Goku, not Geta, while Goku has his own unfinished business with him, so it makes sense for Goku to get that kill.
Nothing out of universe justifies it either; Goku is the protagonist, Vegitabros keep forgetting this for some reason. I don't think Vegeta has earned his right to "get the main kill" when even Goku rarely gets to do that.

Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:39 pm However, if you actually built a narrative around Vegeta's hatred for Freeza and let him experience some character depth/development on the way to a cathartic and yet somehow hollow victory over the monster that helped feed his heart full of hate and rage, that would've been choice storytelling material.
My take on why there's no "build up" or story developed between Frieza and Vegeta is because it's not deserved. The saiyans were evil already. Vegeta blaming that on Frieza was exclusively a dub thing. Basically a bunch of bad guys got enslaved by another more powerful bad guy. They're not victims. So I don't know why a revenge story must necessarily happen, and not just: Vegeta grows and comes to terms with who he was himself.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed May 18, 2022 7:38 pm

Desassina wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 am I feel like I'm always on the minority side of the fence for these sorts to things. I actually had a good time with this movie and didn't really like Battle of Gods lol

I sat to watch Battle of Gods on TV, thought that I would have a good time, since it was subbed in my country, then I began wondering: how can anyone sit through so much slice of life content, or even exposition on the Gods' behalf? Resurrection of F was more accomplished in the entertainment side of things, and DBS: Broly had a more interesting story that connected to Dragon Ball Z, which is why I could sit through the lack of fights in the first half. Battle of Gods is, in my opinion, overrated, partially due to people who like to keep things consistent and sell it on the basis of DBS having sucked (i.e. Beers could have happened and nothing else until the End of Z), because Resurrection of F was basically a pitch for the series, when the former was the one trying to sell the idea of new universes to explore, but it had to be launched by its success nonetheless.
It comes down to what you look for in a dragon ball story. And how you can tolerate the other aspects of it. I myself like good slice of life stuff with these characters I've been engaging with for 25 years. I can't speak for others, but getting new material in ten years, i'm excited to see what everyone's up to. I know the punching with happen eventually.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu May 19, 2022 10:04 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 am Vegeta was the one who defeated Freeza.
Oh my God, yes! Vegeta should've been allowed to take the W against Freeza - for the clout, and because he deserved it far more than Goku did (in my opinion)
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri May 20, 2022 6:00 am

Desassina wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm

Agreed the amount of wanking Battle of Gods gets nowadays compared the the latter 2 movie from most of the fandom is so odd cause around the time it released that was not the case.