Why Goku Staying Dead is Much Deeper Than You Think

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why Goku Staying Dead is Much Deeper Than You Think

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 am

Ashur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:23 am and to show that he forgot Master Roshi's lesson that "there is always someone stronger",
He didn't forget. He just decided to fight dead guys that could be stronger than him.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 am
Ashur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:23 am and to show that he forgot Master Roshi's lesson that "there is always someone stronger",
He didn't forget. He just decided to fight dead guys that could be stronger than him.
I mean it in how it applies to always being someone stronger than can threaten the Earth.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:55 am

Ashur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:40 am
I mean it in how it applies to always being someone stronger than can threaten the Earth.
But that wasn't Roshi's lesson at all. He wasn't training Goku to be earth's defender .

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:55 am
Ashur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:40 am
But that wasn't Roshi's lesson at all. He wasn't training Goku to be earth's defender .
I'm not saying that he did (while there was an element of that in his phrase about sending evil doers away with a mighty blast), i'm saying that Goku forgot that the underlying message also applies to that situation, let's put it like this, again:

Goku saw how the Saiyans, Frieza, the Androids and Cell all threatened the Earth for his own presence, so he removed himself from the equation so that it doesn't keep happening, keeping the Earth safe from any potential threat caused by him, but if he kept Roshi's lesson more in mind, he would think that there is a guy out there in space that will come down to Earth one day to look for trouble, by making himself too responsible for the stuff that happened (as most villains WEREN'T caused by him before the Saiyans, recent events shaped his worldview) Goku was acting as if Earth would be peaceful simply because he's not attracting any new enemies, basically, that Cell was the most powerful that could ever come to Earth, and that there wasn't any other strong guys out there that could be a threat.

Then, when he was shown that there were indeed bigger threats out there independent from his own imput, like Buu, it is fitting that he got to stay alive, as his presence alone wasn't the only thing that was bringing these villlains in, it is only natural that strong enemies appear, it happened with the Red Ribbon Army, it happened with Master Tsuru, it happened with Piccolo Daimao, and it would still happen with later enemies from GT and Super, Majin Buu was the proof of that.

That is why Goku seemed so fixated on Buu as an individual fighter, because he showed him a new world of possibilities, he showed him that the world isn't as set in stone as he once thought, hence why Goku ends up making Buu his successor and eternal rival.

Of course it would happen once again in Super with a far larger world of deities opening up before him, it is always escalating, both in regards of Goku's opportunities for challenge and proving himself, but also on the enemies that can threaten Earth, that is why he tries to teach the next generation to become stronger from the Buu Arc forward.

Sorry i rambled a bit there lol, my main point is that while it wasn't the main point of Roshi's message, it certainly applied to that aspect, that was the aspect in which Goku forgot how important the lesson was, because he thought Cell was the biggest enemy they would ever face (given he was the cause for him existing) but he was wrong.

And even Roshi himself notes the importance of defeating those who abuse their powers and take advantage of the weak in his martial arts philosophy, so it is connected.