did Yamamoto's plagiarism contribute to the dbz = rock music mentality?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: did Yamamoto's plagiarism contribute to the dbz = rock music mentality?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu May 26, 2022 2:37 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm (Sidebar: I always find it weird that Linkin Park got lumped in with the rest of the nu-metal phase. They only fit in the shallowest of ways. Stylistically and especially aesthetically they were way different from the "bastardized Rage Against the Machine" ways of the remaining bunch)
honestly i think Nu-Metal in general is just a awfully described genre, more so then anything else. so you get a lot of bands and songs that honestly, if they were released 5 years earlier or 5 years album and sounded the same way, nobody would call them nu metal, but because they were released and popular in that 2000-2003ish window, they get labeled with it. i like todd in the shadows but i remember watching him talk about Movies by Alien Ant Farm, by all accounts a fairly standard alt rock song, and him nonstop referring to it as nu-metal because it came out in 2001. bizzare.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

vanner64

Post by vanner64 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:55 pm

I mean, I'm pretty sure many English speakers associate DBZ with rock music due to the rock music (or rock-like music) used as the replacement score in DBZ. The "Next time on Dragon Ball Z..." electric guitar riff likely being the most iconic. It's nice to reminisce about some fan videos, but realistically only a small percentage of people familiar with the show would seek out AMVs in a time before YouTube.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu May 26, 2022 3:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:41 pm Heh. I stand corrected. Alright, I guess it was Funimation. I really tried hard to get them out of the weeds, but hey lol

Though, I did always feel like the Faulconer score felt a lot like Yamamoto's score for the Super Butōden, Ultimate Battle 22, and The Great Dragon Ball Legend scores. I feel like I could almost make parallels sometimes between the Great Dragon Ball Legend and Faulconer scores. Certainly felt closer to Yamamoto's video game work than Kikuchi's or even Shuki Levy.
That was one of reasons why i thought Kai from beginning was viewed as overseas product, then again, it was just USA who had music replacement for Z/GT, rest countries had original music.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Thu May 26, 2022 3:26 pm

vanner64 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:55 pm I mean, I'm pretty sure many English speakers associate DBZ with rock music due to the rock music (or rock-like music) used as the replacement score in DBZ. The "Next time on Dragon Ball Z..." electric guitar riff likely being the most iconic. It's nice to reminisce about some fan videos, but realistically only a small percentage of people familiar with the show would seek out AMVs in a time before YouTube.
Back in the day simply Googling "DBZ" would lead you to AMVs, especially since most fan sites (including the DaizenshuuEX half of this one!) had their own music video sections. That being said, edgy AMVs were a result of the FUNi-created image of DBZ being this hard rock product for totally not kids, rather than a cause of it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu May 26, 2022 4:08 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:37 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm (Sidebar: I always find it weird that Linkin Park got lumped in with the rest of the nu-metal phase. They only fit in the shallowest of ways. Stylistically and especially aesthetically they were way different from the "bastardized Rage Against the Machine" ways of the remaining bunch)
honestly i think Nu-Metal in general is just a awfully described genre, more so then anything else. so you get a lot of bands and songs that honestly, if they were released 5 years earlier or 5 years album and sounded the same way, nobody would call them nu metal, but because they were released and popular in that 2000-2003ish window, they get labeled with it. i like todd in the shadows but i remember watching him talk about Movies by Alien Ant Farm, by all accounts a fairly standard alt rock song, and him nonstop referring to it as nu-metal because it came out in 2001. bizzare.
Agreed - nu-metal was originally ascribed to the rock-rap acts like Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Papa Roach and Zebrahead and under that strict, technical definition Linkin Park obviously falls under it..but eventually it just became a purely aesthetic based label applied even to bands that didn't incorporate any hip-hop elements to their music. It's basically become a shorthand for "Trashy white boy rock music from approximately 1997-2001"

Breaking Point, for example, who were heavily featured in Movies 4 and 5, are about as far away from that image as you can get.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Thu May 26, 2022 6:18 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:25 pm As far as I can tell Linkin Park weren't that well known before the Faulconer Productions score came onto the scene. I remember a lot of people talking about Linkin Park around 2006/7, but don't recall hearing about them any earlier than that. Suffice to say there was a period when a lot of music from the time was being shared between people on services like Napster, much of which was done without crediting the sources, leading to some misinformation spreading. Among these audio files being shared were tagless versions of Rock the Dragon without any of the associated metadata. What didn't help was happening at the peak of Linkin Park's popularity and coincided with large numbers of fan-made Dragon Ball music videos using their songs, so a lot of fans just assumed it was their song.
Hybrid Theory (2000) & Meteora (2003) were their peak in popularity.

Hell, I clearly remember a friend of mine downloading an AMV of Gohan going SSJ2 to One Step Closer from Kazaa back in, what, the 4th grade?

Nu/alt metal was HUGE for pre-teens & teenagers at the time. Funimation knew what they were doing with Lord Slug/Cooler/Broly (whether or not I agree with that choice is a different story).

The one thing that still shocks me to this day is the usage of Dream Theater for History Of Trunks. LOL I wish more anime used prog.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 26, 2022 6:37 pm

vanner64 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:55 pm , but realistically only a small percentage of people familiar with the show would seek out AMVs in a time before YouTube.
File sharing sites like Limewire and Kazaa were SUPER popular back in the day. Way more people watched AMV and torrented shit than you think

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:11 pm

FUNi inserting all the hard rock/metal songs into those particular movies was clearly another example of the faux "ZOMG HARDCORE EDGINESS!!!!!!" image they branded the series with. Like the Team Faulconer score and the god awful Step into the Grand Tour rap song with GT, they were wanting to project this image and cash in on those bands who were successful at the timein the late '90s/early 2000's.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sat May 28, 2022 9:15 am

You have a series with a bunch of cool fast laser tag fighting with burly men. Rock music association is to be expected.
We the ones

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 28, 2022 4:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm Kind of feels like the association of DBZ with rock and nu metal was more a Funi thing.
Nu Metal was huge during the prime days of DBZ on CN. Many kids were into it which is probably why you had so many nu metal AMVs at the time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat May 28, 2022 5:45 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:15 am You have a series with a bunch of cool fast laser tag fighting with burly men. Rock music association is to be expected.
See: pro wrestling

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat May 28, 2022 7:07 pm

Wasn't rock music associated with anime in Japan during the 80s and 90s? Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya come to mind.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.