Would you enjoy a midquel?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Would you enjoy a midquel?

Post by Yuji » Wed May 25, 2022 12:28 pm

(Ignoring the fact that Super is technically one already)

New stories in modern Dragon Ball are generally sequels to the previous story arc or prequels set before the events of the story took place, mostly having to do with planet Vegeta. But considering how many timeskips there were between Pilaf and Boo, would you enjoy to watch a new movie or story arc set in one of these time periods? And if so, which one would you prefer?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you enjoy a midquel?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 25, 2022 12:41 pm

I can't see a midquel being that interesting. The timeskip between the 23rd Budokai and Raditz and the timeskip between Cell and Boo were established to be peaceful. The other timeskips were Goku training for the Budokai and the Z warriors training for the Androids

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:41 pmThe timeskip between the 23rd Budokai and Raditz and the timeskip between Cell and Boo were established to be peaceful.
To be fair, so was the timeskip between Boo and the 28th TB.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed May 25, 2022 1:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:41 pm I can't see a midquel being that interesting. The timeskip between the 23rd Budokai and Raditz and the timeskip between Cell and Boo were established to be peaceful. The other timeskips were Goku training for the Budokai and the Z warriors training for the Androids
The 3-year timeskip between the Baba arc and the 22nd Budokai, as well as the timeskip between the Piccolo Daimao and 23rd Budokai should be interesting enough considering you could conceivably find an opponent on Earth at that low power scale that could pose a credible threat. And since they were all meant to be training anyway, they were already seeking adversity.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed May 25, 2022 1:24 pm

I would enjoy it yes. DB is fun when it's peaceful too.
After Cell. I want to see the process of how Vegeta became "domesticated" as he said, and how Krillin got together with 18 and some minor villain or challenge could be inserted so it's not too peaceful.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm

I would like a midquel taking place during the 3 years before the androids appear. SS Goku aided by Piccolo and Gohan. Kaio can call Goku and ask for his help with some planet with a dude going nuts. The Broly movie pitch but with much lower stakes.
And before Gohan was born, too. Goku and Chichi as newlyweds, Piccolo being a Peeping Tom, something like the Yo, Son Goku and friends special.

But to me the most wasted period of time was the 7 years after the Cell Games. I mean, the Bojack movie is just a bootleg Cell Games. A short story about how Vegeta overcame Goku's death, and the Smallville days of the Golden Warrior. Baby Goten and baby Trunks, too.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 25, 2022 1:56 pm

I always wanted a midquel between the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and Raditz. It would be nice to see some slice-of-life material with Goku adapting to married life, seeing Chi-Chi raise Gohan from birth, and you can have Goku and Piccolo's rivalry in there for whenever action is needed considering the latter still had some evil in him at that point.

I remember when OG Dragon Ball's run on Toonami UK was ending in 2004 I was hoping for another arc, in denial that my favourite show was finishing, seeing this trailer with the "every story has and ending" line only solidified it for me. I always wanted new Dragon Ball after that point, and Toonami UK hadn't announced the movies. Kinda explains why I'm so forgiving of Super I guess.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 25, 2022 3:12 pm

I would love to see a story a creator wants to tell.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed May 25, 2022 3:33 pm

Sure. Maybe in the form of movies or mini-series, though.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed May 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Maybe only in the sense that we have very little sequel material that is apparently worth exploring, which is just the state of the DB franchise.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed May 25, 2022 5:59 pm

Problem with a mid-quel and Dragonball, is that we know what's right around the corner when it comes to threats. And we know what down the path as well. It would have to be written so well that whatever happens is so inconsequential as to wonder why even bother, and no so out there that our brains start wondering why no one talks about it in universe.

Honestly, i beleive it can work with the right talent behind it. I personally would rather get more slice of life, than the usual fighting stuff.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 25, 2022 7:43 pm

The problem with doing a midquel in a story like Dragon Ball is that a major theme of the series is about getting stronger and fighting increasingly powerful opponents. If you do a midquel set during, say, the seven years between the Cell and Boo arc, you can’t really go in that direction.

Super is sort of able to get away with it, because Majin Boo is the final villain of the original manga, so even though it’s a midquel, they’re still able to continue that theme of self-improvement and fighting strong guys. Even then though, some (myself included) would argue that DBS cheapens the ending of the original manga.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:36 am

If it was good, yes, unlike the Garlic Jr arc or something.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu May 26, 2022 11:36 am

I would love to see a mini series or set of movies from post planet Vegeta destroyed focused on Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta. When they were young, inexperienced and most likely feeling lost being the only Saiyan's and under Freeza's control. Developing Raditz more would be a treat as he should or maybe didnt have a good relation with Bardock and Gene. What did he think of his brother? How did he feel with Vegeta belittling him or why does Vegeta feel the last Saiyans are so invaluable? Would also be a good chance to bring back Frieza in a meaningful way and have him terrifying again unlike Super.

Problem is if Toei or Toriyama can follow story consistencies and having the characters not break the rules. Limiting what characters can do is a good thing as they will have time to develop to bring them to the characters we know when they show up in Z.

IMO a prequel centering around these characters is much more interesting to me then what Super has offered. I don't need red, blue and white hair transformations being pulled out of someone's ass. I want good characters with good development and consistent lore.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Thu May 26, 2022 3:30 pm

Considering if Super is any indication of the quality of what a "midquel" is...

No. I don't think I will. I don't trust any of the current creatives, including Toriyama himself, of being able to craft any type of coherent and engaging story with these characters anymore.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu May 26, 2022 4:01 pm

ikaos wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:30 pm Considering if Super is any indication of the quality of what a "midquel" is...

No. I don't think I will. I don't trust any of the current creatives, including Toriyama himself, of being able to craft any type of coherent and engaging story with these characters anymore.
OOOFF that's harsh....but I agree with you.

However if say we could get a well thought out story with budget but into the animation and art I'm open to it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 26, 2022 7:45 pm

I'll have to agree. If we are doomed to have a boring series, then at least let's have a boring series without knowing where it is going. We should be looking at sequels (and sporadically prequels, something along the lines of Jaco) now. If Dragon Ball Super is anything to go by, then midquel has overstayed its welcome.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri May 27, 2022 11:12 am

Yes.

I would love a break from Super Saiyan Blue and all that stuff.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:02 am

I'm sure it could be pulled off well. The 10~ episode training arcs for both the 23rd Budokai arc as well as Nappa and Vegeta are kind of midquels (since the manga skipped much more directly from Point A to Point B) and they're some of my favorite stretches of the series.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:02 am

If I ever manage to regain any shred of confidence in new DB material being good, then I'd much rather get as far away from the original-run time period as possible (especially the modern "revival" material), and see a distant-past prequel or far-future sequel.

Give us a post-GT miniseries about Goku Junior. Or a story about the ancient Saiyans of Universe 7 and a more detailed account of the original Super Saiyan God (because in spite of everything I still like THAT form and want to see it get the spotlight again).
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!