Are these four main women in Dragon Ball really "just house wives"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are these four main women in Dragon Ball really "just house wives"?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:31 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:57 pm
My reply to it: have you ever considered that a rich girl being rich and sexy who has never had any real need in her life, I think it makes sense she wanted a boyfriend.
Missing the point. There's nothing wrong with Bulma wanting a boyfriend. The problem is Toriyama could not think of a better wish for Bulma than boyfriend. It's almost like Bulma can be boy crazy and have aspirations from a magic wish granting dragon other than boyfriend. Crazy right?

, adding Bulma's sexy's panties was a way to contrarrest the low birth rate that Japan has been facing for decades.
Mr. Fantastic, Stretch Arm Strong, and Plastic Man are all envious of that gigantic stretch.

I am tired of hearing that about Vegeta, it is not like he was doing that willingly, he was working for Freezer, geez...In all cases it just means he was an excellent employee, it is not like the whole thing was his idea.
What.

Vegeta did what he wanted willingly. The only thing distinguishing Freeza and Vegeta before the tail end of the Namek arc is Freeza was more powerful. Vegeta's whole goal was to become immortal so he could overthrow Freeza.

He murdered a whole Namekian village for funsies and then laughed when they didnt get restored as part of the "all those killed by Freeza and his men" wish

It's 2022. Can we finally stop treating the Funimation only "I didn't want to be evil Freeza made me. Nothing is my fault." revisionism as fact?

For Videl I also believe she is way more than a housewive because she is the perfect woman for gohan, probably the one one. She is the wife of the only saiyan who chose to believe a normal life. Not even Trunks who could have the chance did it, as he was born rich and he got whatever he wanted. But Gohan studied very hard to become someone, the way it is demanded in Japan from any guy, despite superpowers he went to school, he went trough that bullshit (I am sure Trunks had private instructors) and Videl was the woman who was capable to understand his uniqueness.
Now say something about Videl's character (specifically post 25th Budokai Videl) that isn't about her being perfect for Gohan.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:31 pm Missing the point. There's nothing wrong with Bulma wanting a boyfriend. The problem is Toriyama could not think of a better wish for Bulma than boyfriend.
He did, though. "More strawberries than she could possibly eat".
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:31 pmIt's almost like Bulma can be boy crazy and have aspirations from a magic wish granting dragon other than boyfriend. Crazy right?
It's almost like it's a comedy and she's a spoiled rich teenager. What would your better idea for a wish be?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:46 pm

Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:40 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:31 pm Missing the point. There's nothing wrong with Bulma wanting a boyfriend. The problem is Toriyama could not think of a better wish for Bulma than boyfriend.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:31 pmIt's almost like Bulma can be boy crazy and have aspirations from a magic wish granting dragon other than boyfriend. Crazy right?
It's almost like it's a comedy and she's a spoiled rich teenager. What would your better idea for a wish be?
The idea that doesn't frame the sole female character as obsessed with boys and trying to deceive the younger male protagonist intongiving up his wish while also humiliating her sexually in front of an old man to whom she was going to sell her body to.

It really is not hard to not write a blatantly misogynistic portrayal of women.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:48 pm

dva_raza wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:11 pm ..Aren’t people always saying Goku is written as some sort of idiot with no depth? Why would anyone expect a serious approach for writing any other character in db?

Edit- didn't see Cursed Lemon's post until after I submitted mine Lol
No one is expecting a shonen to have amazingly written characters. We just would like to see women represented in a equal fashion to the men. It's not rocket science.
We the ones

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:46 pm
The idea that doesn't frame the sole female character as obsessed with boys and trying to deceive the younger male protagonist intongiving up his wish while also humiliating her sexually in front of an old man to whom she was going to sell her body to.

It really is not hard to not write a blatantly misogynistic portrayal of women.
No, but it IS pretty hard to come up with an amusing, 100% selfish wish for a rich spoiled teenager that can already buy any material goods they want that ISN'T "I want the best boyfriend/girlfriend ever". I legit can't think of any.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:01 pm

Like if y'all okay with what's in Dragon Ball let's be okay with doing this:

-Old woman grabs Goku's balls cause she's pervy.
-Boy in only underwear's only goal is to marry
-Vegeta has a big ass sack hanging in his blue tights
-Have old lady kidnap teenage boy throughout the episode (like in super) and lust over him as he flees for his life
-Have Yamcha run off the ToP afraid of being raped by old lady

If y'all fine with all this then we can get equality going.
We the ones

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:11 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:01 pm Like if y'all okay with what's in Dragon Ball let's be okay with doing this:

-Have old lady kidnap teenage boy throughout the episode (like in super) and lust over him as he flees for his life

Most of this sounds pretty up Toriyama's alley.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:13 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:01 pm Like if y'all okay with what's in Dragon Ball let's be okay with doing this:

Why's Yamcha always gotta get it the worst?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:13 pm

Why's Yamcha always gotta get it the worst?
Idk if women gonna like tien's 3 eyes bruh
We the ones

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:39 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:18 am We thank you for taking your clearly sexist self out of this conversation krump. Calling people crazy for wanting equality, as a black man you should know better.
This is a wildly inappropriate and offensive thing to be saying and I'm genuinely astonished that you actually typed this message out and then hit the "Submit" button.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:50 pm

Yeah...and she decided that the boyfriend wish was better. That's not a counterargument
Fame.

Lifetime supply of strawberries

Or hey because the whole Bulma is filthy rich and the heiress to the company that made the Hoi Poi capsules wasn't something Toriyama even introduced until the Red Ribbon arc (meaning he probably didn't even think of it until he was writing that arc) she could have wished for wealth because that wasn't actually part of her character from day one.

But Bulma's wish is the tip of the iceberg of problems with how her character was handled in early Dragon Ball.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:52 pm

If you told me any of the above happened in the series I would not only not be surprised but would probably find the irony even funnier.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:06 pm

I'm not really sure what the equivalent of Vegeta having large, prominent testicles is within the series. I can't recall a time where a character simply had large breasts nonchalantly. Even if Blooma had large boobs that were on display that couldn't be the problem at hand, it would be the sexualization of her body (the Muten Roushi poking her chest, et cetera), not the existence of large melons in a tight top.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:50 pm

Yeah...and she decided that the boyfriend wish was better. That's not a counterargument
Fame.

Lifetime supply of strawberries

Or hey because the whole Bulma is filthy rich and the heiress to the company that made the Hoi Poi capsules wasn't something Toriyama even introduced until the Red Ribbon arc (meaning he probably didn't even think of it until he was writing that arc) she could have wished for wealth because that wasn't actually part of her character from day one.
Wealth and fame are both fairly logical and realistic wishes, not funny "this character is such a dumb teenager" ones. And keep in mind that half the point is that she DOES end up getting her wish granted without the Dragonballs at the end.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm

Bulma's wish is not any different from Yamcha wanting the dragon balls to get a girlfriend too.

In general, outside of Goku alone, every major character in the first arc of the series is interested in love or sex in some way or the other. This isn't exclusive to Bulma. Are we to understand that making jokes based on the romantic and sexual interests between the two genders is off limits now?

If you'd like to criticize Bulma being sexually harassed for the sake of comedy, then I'd also like to hear criticisms of Goku's naked penis being constantly shown and the imposed crossdressing being played for laughs, or Oolong's diarrhea being a violation of his agency and consent. Or later in the series #18 kissing Kuririn without his consent, too.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:23 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm Bulma's wish is not any different from Yamcha wanting the dragon balls to get a girlfriend too.
Yamcha wanted to get rid of his social anxiety so he could get a girlfriend. He didn't just want to wish for a girlfriend.

Also Yamcha wasn't the butt of a bunch of sexual harrassment jokes.
. This isn't exclusive to Bulma. Are we to understand that making jokes based on the romantic and sexual interests between the two genders is off limits now?
Some of y'all really need to understand nuance.
If you'd like to criticize Bulma being sexually harassed for the sake of comedy, then I'd also like to hear criticisms of Goku's naked penis being constantly shown and the imposed crossdressing being played for laughs, or Oolong's diarrhea being a violation of his agency and consent. Or later in the series #18 kissing Kuririn without his consent, too.
False equivalences are fun!!!!

1. Goku being naked is not sexual objectification. Nobody is suppose to be titillatated by Goku's little weiner. The only joke is he's been sequestered from society so he never learned about modesty. Its not like characters were taking advantage of him sexually.

2. I'm not gonna touch the crossdressing thing but Julie has spoken of her displeasure of that gag so I'll leave it at that

3. Again. Nuance. Women irl are sexually harrassed all the time and expected to suck it up or told they can't take a joke or ignored. Or called liars if said perpetrator is well liked (why does that sound so familiar...) Men/pig boys/anyone in general getting fed laxatives without their consent isn't a societal issue.

4.You're right Kuririn getting kissed on the cheek by a character who is supposed to be evil at the time is just as bad as Bulma getting objectified and taken advantage of for sexual favors by a character who is suppose to be the mentor figure and not a villain. What a great argument!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm Bulma's wish is not any different from Yamcha wanting the dragon balls to get a girlfriend too.
Yamcha isn't a woman being written by a man in a comic aimed at boys published by a company run only by men in an industry primarily filled with men on a planet where a human culture of women not holding power and agency of their own is rather rigidly enforced.
Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pmIn general, outside of Goku alone, every major character in the first arc of the series is interested in love or sex in some way or the other. This isn't exclusive to Bulma. Are we to understand that making jokes based on the romantic and sexual interests between the two genders is off limits now?
It is when you do it poorly, like Toriyama did and continues to do.
Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pmIf you'd like to criticize Bulma being sexually harassed for the sake of comedy, then I'd also like to hear criticisms of Goku's naked penis being constantly shown
Gokuu isn't being sexualized. The human body is not inherently sexual, sexuality in art is a applied through a series of various cues. That being said, I'm not exactly a fan of staring at his cock, either.
Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pmand the imposed crossdressing being played for laughs,
I've mentioned how that plot point is transphobic in the past and something I do not at all like.
Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pmor Oolong's diarrhea being a violation of his agency and consent.
Fuck that rapist pig.

(Toriyama's uncritical use of torture in a children's comic is a real head-scratcher and I would tell him to not do it again)
Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm Or later in the series #18 kissing Kuririn without his consent, too.
I think it's pretty bad that Toriyama decided to make his one prominent female antagonist a vessel for sexual assault. It's a real problem in how it stems from his behavior toward how women should be used in comics.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:23 pm
3. Again. Nuance. Women irl are sexually harrassed all the time and expected to suck it up or told they can't take a joke or ignored. Or called liars if said perpetrator is well liked (why does that sound so familiar...) Men/pig boys/anyone in general getting fed laxatives without their consent isn't a societal issue.
Absolutely happens all the time. I'm not going to go into detail about the shit I've been put through but it's very, very, very unpleasant.

I've also never been a pig force-fed laxatives. Well, not outside of RP...
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:23 pm4.You're right Kuririn getting kissed on the cheek by a character who is supposed to be evil at the time is just as bad as Bulma getting objectified and taken advantage of for sexual favors by a character who is suppose to be the mentor figure and not a villain. What a great argument!
This, this, this.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:48 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:39 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:18 am We thank you for taking your clearly sexist self out of this conversation krump. Calling people crazy for wanting equality, as a black man you should know better.
This is a wildly inappropriate and offensive thing to be saying and I'm genuinely astonished that you actually typed this message out and then hit the "Submit" button.
Not anymore 'wildly inappropriate' than many of krump's post in this thread and on this site. Him giving off vibes that Julie is just some crazy woman is hella disrespect. I'm telling it like it is. Black people suffer inequality, I'm sure he doesn't like that fact so he shouldn't be trying to knock a woman for wanting her media to be more respectful to her gender. The way he's been going about it this entire thread has been disrespect. Maybe focus your attention on the dude calling women crazy.
We the ones

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:03 pm

Guess I gotta address this,

Cool your jets Rorikon, you'd be surprised at how many invisible Boogie Men I don't believe in... Nice try though.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:45 am

Julie and others, Please reconsider this constant dishonesty. It harms more than your average malicious troll, and is the reason I and probably others stay away from these discussions here. Most people here agree with the sexism in DB being...well, there. There is no need to disproportion it and invent malicious intent everywhere. You wont change anyone's mind this way, because the only ones willing to ignore it are some of those who already agree with you, and to the rest you alienate; which is a shame because there are some less agreed points that are worth a discussion, but not like this.