Madman singles missing a lot of recaps and NEPs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Madman singles missing a lot of recaps and NEPs?

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:59 pm

So between Pioneer and Madman, I've heard Madman is the superior release. And this may be true for the earliest sagas, especially the first volume of the Saiyan saga where Pioneer tried to make it into some sort of movie and Madman has the actual divided episodes.

But I noticed Madman is missing a lot of recaps and NEPs from the android saga onwards. There will be a recap for the first episode on a volume, and a NEP for the last episode. But everything in between is missing. Where Pioneer does seem to have all of these.

Is there anyone who owns the Madman versions who can confirm this?

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Re: Madman singles missing a lot of recaps and NEPs?

Post by dragonmagico » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:21 pm

Pioneer only did the ocean dub episodes. The funi singles and the madman singles from ginyu onwards only have the recaps and neps like you described. Only toonami got neps and recaps for everything.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:44 pm

So there isn't a home release that has them for every episode?

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Pretty much.

For the Madman singles, the Ocean Dub boxes (Saiyan Conflict and Namek Saga) contain all the recaps and NEPs as well as the original title cards for the first 4 episodes (while Pioneer just says "Arrival" on episode 1 and nothing else after). The only thing it's missing is the eyecatches (wasn't released till the Rock the Dragon set)

The Ginyu volumes I would argue have more on the Madman release for the dub as it actually contains a recap and NEP on both, while I don't remember there being any on the USA release. But the USA release does have JPN audio+subtitles and title cards while Madman doesn't.

For Freeza to Great Saiyaman, they all follow the same pattern as Ginyu.

Then from World Tournament to Kid Buu, they follow the same format as USA with all recaps + one NEP and japanese audio/title cards, so it doesn't matter what release to go for on those volumes.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:49 pm

What I have to assume happened was, Pioneer handled the VHS releases of the Saban dub for the continent of Australia, just like with North America. Now, I personally don't know how the Australian Pioneer tapes were formatted, but I have to assume that it was 1:1 the same as the American tapes.

Now, while Madman only handled the in-house FUNimation dub as far as VHS tapes went, they were responsible for releasing the Saban dub episodes on DVD.

What I think happened was, Madman, being the new distributor of these episodes needed a source for them, and the easiest they could get their hands on were the TV masters that FUNimation had already sent to broadcasters in Australia such as Cartoon Network, Network Ten's Cheez TV, etc. since everything presented on those DVDs were identical to what was seen on Australian TV. The eyecatches featuring Peter Kelamis were cut but if you look closely, you can find a few frames of them here and there.

The reason, I think why the same favour was not reciprocated for the FUNimation in-house episodes, and why the episodes were English-only for the longest time was simply for the fact that Madman was simply issuing the digibetas that were used for VHS on the DVDs. While FUNimation themselves would do 2 different practices for VHS and DVD releases.