What is the minimum age you would recommend Dragon Ball for?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What is the minimum age you would recommend Dragon Ball for?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:21 pm

Dragon Ball is filled with violence, nudity, suggestive themes, and mild language but it turns out that stuff is not as big of a deal in Japan as in the west and honestly, it's quite tame compared to a lot of anime/manga out there. At the same time, I can't see myself letting a 5 year old watch/read the series especially uncut.

I say the age to start watching/reading Dragon Ball is 9. Kids at that point are easily capable of differentiating fantasy from reality and won't try to replicate what they see the characters do.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: What is the minimum age you would recommend Dragon Ball for?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:25 pm

Maybe 7. The series is TV PG which is the same rating as Teen Titans Go.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:01 pm

I'd say 10.

Dragon Ball may have its decent share of sexual humour and violence -- with the former being much more prevalent in the early portion of the manga -- but it's so over the top and juvenile in its execution that I can't imagine it leaving that much of a negative impression on children from that age and onwards.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:50 pm

I feel like most young kids don't get shock by nudity. When they normally see it, they laugh at it. I remember people in my elementary school would make jokes about someone having a dick or boobies when we look up in our text book. However, the 90s was a different day compare to now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:35 pm

About 6 or 7

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 am

Probably depends on the kid.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:54 am

I picked it up at the age of 10, I think that's a proper age, you are a few years away from puberty, which is when cartoons tend to be less interesting.
By then, usually, you're pretty much set up psychologically, you know Roshi's antics are out of place and animated violence shouldn't be giving you nightmares or funny ideas.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:59 pm

Like some, I'd also say 10. I doubt I would've been invested in a series like Dragon Ball before that age.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:12 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:21 pm Dragon Ball is filled with violence, nudity, suggestive themes, and mild language but it turns out that stuff is not as big of a deal in Japan as in the west and honestly, it's quite tame compared to a lot of anime/manga out there. At the same time, I can't see myself letting a 5 year old watch/read the series especially uncut.

I say the age to start watching/reading Dragon Ball is 9. Kids at that point are easily capable of differentiating fantasy from reality and won't try to replicate what they see the characters do.
The real answer is that it depends. Culture and upbringing are very important factors. In general, uncut Dragon Ball is by far not a series for the average 9 year old. I think my limit would be 13. Though I’d explain to the child before hand that what they are watching is fantasy and not representative of reality.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Aim wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:12 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:21 pm Dragon Ball is filled with violence, nudity, suggestive themes, and mild language but it turns out that stuff is not as big of a deal in Japan as in the west and honestly, it's quite tame compared to a lot of anime/manga out there. At the same time, I can't see myself letting a 5 year old watch/read the series especially uncut.

The real answer is that it depends. Culture and upbringing are very important factors. In general, uncut Dragon Ball is by far not a series for the average 9 year old. I think my limit would be 13. Though I’d explain to the child before hand that what they are watching is fantasy and not representative of reality.
I guarantee you the average 13 year old could figure that one out on their own.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:30 pm

I believe Weekly Shonen Jump is primarily aimed at the male 9-12 demographic, so that's your target audience. The anime aims slightly younger, but "early elementary school" sounds about right.

Didn't Funimation specifically mention 9 year olds as their primary target? "There's a 9 year old born every minute" or someting?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:16 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:30 pm
Didn't Funimation specifically mention 9 year olds as their primary target? "There's a 9 year old born every minute" or someting?
I think 6-11 is the standard target demo for cartoons with fantasy violence but yeah that quote sounds familar.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:18 pm

Aim wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:12 pm

The average 13 year old is well at the age of watching whatever they want, when they want short of an R-Rated movie in theaters and certainly understands fiction
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 pm

Exactly, I mean at 13 I definitely knew there was a fundamental difference between Family Guy and friggin Johnny Quest.

That being said I'm with the 7/8/9 camp for sure.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 am

About the age they start first year of elementary school with mild adult supervision.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:13 am

I was watching it at, like, 5? 6?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:39 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:13 am I was watching it at, like, 5? 6?
As were probably most people here who discovered the show through syndication or on Toonami (or if they're really young Kai on Nicktoons or KidsCWBVortexxToonzai

Which makes all these they need to be 10 or 13 comments weird

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:13 am I was watching it at, like, 5? 6?
Same. On RTL ll, yes? 8)

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:33 am

It really depends on the values you want to imbue in your child. I wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons until I was in high school. My father didn't want me watching a show where children disrespected their parents, so it all depends on your parenting style. My dad didn't like DBZ/anime, so I really don't think he cared to see what it was about. It first aired on Toonami around 1998, so I was 8 years old when I started watching. All the crass sexual humor went over my head, I just wanted to see buff dudes punch each other.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:11 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:39 amWhich makes all these they need to be 10 or 13 comments weird
What makes them extra weird for me is that by the time I was 12/13 and in middle school, things like DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh (which had been all the rage like a year or two prior) were seen as decidedly lame by most of my peers. Which makes sense, that's just when puberty's in full swing and everyone's incredibly insecure about kid stuff, wanting to seem as mature as can be.
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:18 pmThe average 13 year old is well at the age of watching whatever they want, when they want short of an R-Rated movie in theaters and certainly understands fiction
Honestly, even including an R-Rated movie in theaters. It's easy enough to buy a ticket to a movie you're allowed to see, and then just walk into the auditorium for the R-Rated film you want to see. I did that as a kid on at least a few occasions, and when I worked at a theater for 5 years kids were doing that shit all the time.