What is the minimum age you would recommend Dragon Ball for?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What is the minimum age you would recommend Dragon Ball for?

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:05 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:16 am
SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:17 pm Remember young kids are not as used to seeing violence in media like adults are so when they see an intense beating of a character or someone get brutally killed that might give them some low key trauma or maybe make them become violent themselves towards others kids their age in school but that is up for debate whether violent anime and manga can make kids more aggressive
Kids are generally able to stop reading, or change channel\turn off television\close the video player if they meet stuff they don't like.

I was able to do so at about 7 when coming across Fist of the North Star episodes on TV(back then I felt it excessively violent), I do not see why other normal kids shouldn't be able to do it as well
True if it scares them then they will most likely stop watching and that’ll solve that problem for the most part , still though they can’t unsee what they saw and will possibly become low key traumatized

On the other hand though some kids might actually LIKE how violent it is and start to hit, punch , or kick other kids in “rough play” as they call it during recess or with their friends and or siblings but that is less likely and of course depends on the kid’s personality

And yes I don’t blame you for being scared of how gruesome Fist of the North Star is bc it is obviously not intended for 7 year olds as it is basically an R rated anime intended for those 17 and up

Lucky for me and my brother when we were kids our mom restricted us from watching anything R or even playing any video game rated T and up as she is an old school traditional Catholic

That didn’t stop my brother though from playing Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and Castle Wolfenstein when he was about 7 on our dads computer but games then in the 90s were not nearly as graphic as the ones that come out today

Misu

Post by Misu » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:25 am
SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:52 am
It’s rated PG for the most part but sometimes it’s definitely more like PG-13 or TV14
It really isn't.

Jump manga is mostly meant for middle school and high school aged boys so in that case it’s mostly meant for 10 to 18 year olds
This isn't even a little bit true. The target demo is elementary school boys.
What are you taking about Jumps target audience is 12-18 years old. Dragon ball is popular among elementary school boys because it's a cultural phenomenon in Japan. If Dragon ball is aimed at elementary schoolers then what is stuff like Doreamon is aimed at?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:39 pm

Misu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:31 pm
SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:52 am
It’s rated PG for the most part but sometimes it’s definitely more like PG-13 or TV14
It really isn't.

Jump manga is mostly meant for middle school and high school aged boys so in that case it’s mostly meant for 10 to 18 year olds
What are you taking about Jumps target audience is 12-18 years old. Dragon ball is popular among elementary school boys because it's a cultural phenomenon in Japan.
Again this isn't true. The target audience for Dragon Ball in Japan was children. Toys were sold. They had a fire safety and traffic safety psa made in Japan using Dragon Ball characters.

The commercials that aired in Japan make it immediately clear who the target demo is https://youtu.be/PnTU__JQSEI

Hint: Not middle schoolers and high schoolers

If Dragon ball is aimed at elementary schoolers then what is stuff like Doreamon is aimed at?
Preschoolers.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:39 pm
If Dragon ball is aimed at elementary schoolers then what is stuff like Doreamon is aimed at?
Preschoolers.
Doraemon was primarily serialized in Shogakukan's First Grader Magazine, Second Grader Magazine, Third Grader Magazine, Fourth Grader Magazine, Fifth Grader Magazine and Sixth Grader Magazine. It was absolutely aimed at elementary schoolers.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Misu

Post by Misu » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:19 pm

It really isn't.

What are you taking about Jumps target audience is 12-18 years old. Dragon ball is popular among elementary school boys because it's a cultural phenomenon in Japan.
Again this isn't true. The target audience for Dragon Ball in Japan was children. Toys were sold. They had a fire safety and traffic safety psa made in Japan using Dragon Ball characters.

The commercials that aired in Japan make it immediately clear who the target demo is https://youtu.be/PnTU__JQSEI

The original manga was aimed at 12-18 year olds. The series expanded and became popular with elementary school students. This also explains why so many jump manga have raunchy fanservice because these comics are targeted towards teenagers who are going through puberty. Fullmetal alchemist is also aimed at the same demographic as Dragon ball yet a few years back Pizza Hut was selling body pillows of Edward Elric so by your logic Fullmetal Alchemist is aimed at fujoshi otakus
Preschoolers.
Then what is the target audience of pingu in the city?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:30 pm

Adamant wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:48 pm
Preschoolers.
Doraemon was primarily serialized in Shogakukan's First Grader Magazine, Second Grader Magazine, Third Grader Magazine, Fourth Grader Magazine, Fifth Grader Magazine and Sixth Grader Magazine. It was absolutely aimed at elementary schoolers.
My mistake on Doraemon

Misu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:19 pm

The original manga was aimed at 12-18 year olds. The series expanded and became popular with elementary school students. This also explains why so many jump manga have raunchy fanservice because these comics are targeted towards teenagers who are going through puberty. Fullmetal alchemist is also aimed at the same demographic as Dragon ball yet a few years back Pizza Hut was selling body pillows of Edward Elric so by your logic Fullmetal Alchemist is aimed at fujoshi otakus
Again, I'm not entirely sure where this level of denial is coming from but the target audience for Dragon Ball (and most shonen) is grade school boys.

I appreciate the fact that Dragon Ball has a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly for western media aimed at kids but it is what it is. It's a series with with very simplistic messages and broad concepts of good vs evil and juvenile poop jokes

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:01 am

When you google the target age demo for Shonen Jump multiple websites say 12/13-18yrs old with the median age being 16 for boys and 12 for girls, so Misu isnt wrong in what he's saying. Dragon Ball having commercials for Kids' Eye Drops and Study Desks dont mean much since anything can be targeted at a certain age group and have merch aimed at a completely different one. Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression Era WWE was rated TV14 but that didn't stop them from releasing Action Figures and backpacks that were clearly aimed at younger kids.

Super Sentai has an even bigger age demo, its like from 5-14yrs old which is why it can go from being unbearably silly for someone our age in one episode to something much more serious ( by Sentai standards) and digestible for older audiences in the next.

S.H. Figuarts action figures are hardly the type of toy you'd want a 7 year old to be banging together while taking a bubble bath, those are more mature colllector's items if anything but something like the old Irwin toys would be fair game for a young buck like that.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:05 am

I would personally wait until my kids were eighteen years old or simply never introduce the series to them. I know with my weeby nibling I don't plan on introducing them to the series at all. They have their own interests and don't need me asserting my own.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Misu

Post by Misu » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:20 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:30 pm
Adamant wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:48 pm
Preschoolers.
My mistake on Doraemon

Misu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:19 pm

Again, I'm not entirely sure where this level of denial is coming from but the target audience for Dragon Ball (and most shonen) is grade school boys.

I appreciate the fact that Dragon Ball has a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly for western media aimed at kids but it is what it is. It's a series with with very simplistic messages and broad concepts of good vs evil and juvenile poop jokes
The reason that there are so many toys and Dragon ball merch aimed towards children because it got popular among that demographic. Death Note is published in the same magazine yet it doesn't market towards children as much as Dragon ball because it's popular with a more older demographic. Another series publish in Jump Haikyu is more popular with females than males but that doesn't change the fact that it was originally catered towards a male demographic.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:49 am

BeaBumby wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:57 pm I mean I started it when I was 14 about a year ago, though I've seen clips as early as.. like 7.

Though I was well aware of the show long before that. Kept watchin Sonic DBZ youtube videos that were freakin awesome.
Ooh, did you ever see Super Mario Bros. Z? That was a super fun series; I think I saw it one or two years ago
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:47 pm

I just gave a hard drive with dragon ball, z, and gt on it to my brother in law so his 8 year old son could watch it. so i guess 7 or 8?

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:18 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:49 am
BeaBumby wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:57 pm I mean I started it when I was 14 about a year ago, though I've seen clips as early as.. like 7.

Though I was well aware of the show long before that. Kept watchin Sonic DBZ youtube videos that were freakin awesome.
Ooh, did you ever see Super Mario Bros. Z? That was a super fun series; I think I saw it one or two years ago
HELL YEAH THAT WAS GREAT
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:45 am

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:18 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:49 am

HELL YEAH THAT WAS GREAT
I KNOW, RIGHT?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:15 am

I'd say 10.
I was rewatching it and I showed it to my 9 year old nephew, starting from 22nd tournament he really enjoys it and is often quiete overdramatic over stuff that happens.
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 am

SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:05 pm And yes I don’t blame you for being scared of how gruesome Fist of the North Star is bc it is obviously not intended for 7 year olds as it is basically an R rated anime intended for those 17 and up
dude, I started watching it regularly a couple years later.
And I changed channel to watch Devilman or Tiger Mask, not really that less violent.

KIDS ARE NOT WEAK, goddammit.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 am
KIDS ARE NOT WEAK, goddammit.
This needs to be pinned up everytime this discourse pops up.